Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    He who must not be named...

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TAO Devil

Default Locust Horde/Lambent Origin Theory. Gears 3 Possible storyline?

I have permission to open this thread in two forums..

So people don't complain.

With the release of the new Gears 3 Trailer and the info. provided by CliffyB and the IRC chats, my theory on the Lambent has some highly probable applications for the Gears series.

A theory on the Locust Horde Origins as well as a theory on the origin of the Lambent and the possible future for Gears of War series. Please read and enjoy.

The Locust’s in Gears of War have had many theories on their start, the origin, and the future of their species. Some theories come from the novels, some from the games, and some from a drug induced hysteria following a night of anchovy pizza and rocky road ice cream.

I have a theory of my own that I would like to put forth.

History: The Gears Universe is centered on a planet called Sera. It’s much like Earth, with a multitude of countries, cultures and technology. In fact, it’s much like a parallel Earth, since we know the inhabitants are not from a colonial expanse of the galaxy, who, previously were from Earth.

Sera has faced many long wars in its past, including the decades fought Pendulum War. During these times of war, many scientists were involved in creating new weapons, and experimenting with new technology and subjects.

In Gears 1, we get to face the Locust horde. A species of creatures so bloodthirsty, they are forced to rape the females in order to breed. The Locusts will stop at nothing in order to destroy Humanity.

The game takes place 14 years after Emergence day, when the Locust horde first presents itself. In order to combat this mysterious enemy, the nations of Sera put aside their differences to ally themselves against this deadly new force.

In Gears 2, we resume our place among Delta Squad, who is bravely facing this horde once again. We start 6 months after we detonated the lightmass bomb (Gears 1) inside the locust underground. With few attacks since the event, it seems as if the Locust are done for.

But a new plan emerges. The Locust horde, ever vigilant it seems, has resurfaced.

Faced with even bleaker odds, Delta Squad takes to the front lines to drive the Locust back.

After defeating the Rift Worm, Delta is ordered to investigate an abandoned military facility. After facing the security turrets and several waves of wretches, Delta makes it into the secured area.

Here they find several medical journals, and stasis tanks filled with deformed experiments, called Sires. In the journals (collectible pads), there are several notes about a new experiment on human test subjects. A drug is injected into the patient, the outcome of which seems to vary among subjects.

In some subjects, the result is a loss of sanity. In others, a heightened sense of aggression. One female subject however, seems to respond differently. No other information is found on this subject.

Some voice recordings are heard through the speakers. A man’s voice can be heard telling a plan of heading into the mountains. Hoffman is contacted, and after speaking with Delta Squad, can be heard asking Chairman Prescott about the installation. Hoffman reports back with an answer of no additional news.

The creatures in stasis begin to break out of their chambers, which leads to Marcus and Dom’s frantic escape from the facility.

This base was enacted long before Emergence Day. When Delta heads to the mountains referred to in the voice recordings, they find the entrance to the Locust underground.

With most of this information, my theory conjectures on the Locust problem being Sera’s own fault.
    Theory: I believe that the Locusts were engineered by the COG scientists as a way to fight in the Pendulum Wars.

While I don’t believe the Locusts were created specifically, I believe that the drug was intended to allow soldiers to achieve a far greater physical potential. Increased aggression, strength, stronger bodies (allow for more damage) to achieve a superior army.

However, the results that occurred were not the ones desired. When several of these human subjects started to change, they are kept for observation. Hence, the observation rooms with security turrets.

The female subject that had a different result, I believe is the Locust Queen. The Queen seems more to be a human/locust crossbreed. This lends credibility to a genetic mutation theory, instead of an actual crossbreeding taking place.

When the mutations seemed to be irreversible, the subjects who had completely lost all sanity or humanity were locked into stasis (sires). The few who possibly overcame some of the more drastic mutations, I believe were led to the mountains by the male voice we hear over the loud speakers. Possibly because of the influence of the Queen, possibly because of guilt.

Whatever the reason, we do know that the scientist led a party to the mountains. The Locust Queen and the several subjects left alive built a society deep underground, knowing they would never be accepted by their fellow humans. Here, they discovered ancient ruins. These had been built many years ago, by a species of creatures, known now as Kantus.

High Priests of the, now, Locust Horde, these creatures accepted the transformed humans into their midst. The Kantus are transformed humans from centuries, if not millennia, before their new members. Transformed from living underground, too close to the Immulsion, they were likely early nomads, who sought sanctuary deep underground, possibly to escape a harsh winter. The glowing plants found in the hollow could possibly contain a retro-virus, causing the nomads DNA to rewrite itself, producing more physical changes, and could also be a link to the drug injected into patients at the New Hope Facility.

Trapped, they began to explore. After many generations, the alterations to their physical form became more pronounced. As time went on, the genetic transformations altered their brain chemistry. They became savage as well as confused. They turned to a religion based on what was around them. Worms became idols of worship. The Rift Worm became a symbol of power and commanded their devotion.

When the new humans arrived, the Kantus welcomed them, either realizing that they were transformed humans as well, or because they appeared like them, or perhaps the Kantus were once a kind and helpful race we do not know. We do know that they were accepted.

While the Kantus were mainly a religious sect, the new Locusts were aggressive, due to the experimental drugs they were injected with at the New Hope Facility. These Locust sought power. Elevating their Queen to oversee the entire Horde, they became a Hive mentality.

Drones were mindless soldiers, sent out to inflict the most damage possible.
    Boomers were larger versions of these drones, and were sent as reinforcements for larger conflicts.
    Therons were bred to be a smarter, more adaptable soldier. Able to think on their feet and employ useful strategies, they became the commanders of the Horde Army.
    Berserkers were the only Locusts that were born female. Blind, but enormous, with strength surpassing the Boomers, faster than Bloodmounts, and tougher than Brumaks, Berserkers were used as battering rams. Able to get through any opposition, they were only taken down by the Hammer of Dawn Satellite Weapon.

Bloodmounts were part of the original drug trials. I believe they were canine test subjects that the retro-virus altered.

Wretches were the first primate subjects. The original form being that of a monkey. Possibly a Capuchin or Spider Monkey. I also believe that the results of the primate trials were slow to surface, due to a seemingly rushed version tested on humans. Hence why Wretches and Sires seem to have similar features.

Thanks to Gearsopedia for this tidbit- “DNA analysis of Brumaks indicates that the Locust bred them from smaller native apes.” The Locust themselves mutated the Brumaks to what they are today. Possibly gorillas that had been captured by the locust.

Reavers act more like vehicles than another form of Locust. They fly by, as yet, unknown means. They consist of large tentacles that act both as legs and weapons. When they die they leave behind an inky cloud. The Hydra (used by Skorge and unknown Palace Guard at the end of Gears 1) is another class of Reaver. Larger and able to support attachment of weapons, they appear to be a favorite for command troops.

Nemacyst are likely larval stages of the Reaver. Like the Reaver, they fly by unknown means and are capable of hovering for prolonged periods of time. They are released from the tail end of a Seeder and accelerate towards enemy targets. How they track their targets is unknown due to the fact they seem to have no eyes. On impact, they cause massive damage. When moving or destroyed, they leave an inky cloud in their wake.

Seeders act as a biological mortar. A Drone will insert a Nemacyst into the mouth of a Seeder (the head of which is underground). The Nemacyst travels through the Seeder and comes out the tail end. For unknown reasons, their very presence disrupts communication.

Corpser is another Locust of unknown origin. One of the Large Locust breeds; they are unique in that they are intelligent. Able to strategize ambushes, they make several appearances throughout both games. In gears 1, the Corpser tracks our movements while in the Locust Underground. In Gears 2 we see them leap upon a Derrick in the first chapter. Used by Locust to create the massive underground network and to be deadly creatures, these Corpsers have earned their name by the very meaning of it.

Tickers have a very vague origin. While they have been seen and used before by the Locust, their exact origin remains a mystery. “Locust use them as Landmines”-Tai Kaliso. The Tickers have a bio-canister that is attached to their back. When triggered, it releases a stream of Immulsion that will explode, causing damage to Human and Locust alike.

Kryll are very mysterious. While they are not loyal to the Locust, they appear to respond only to RAAM. In Gears 1, they protected RAAM like a shield during the final battle. RAAM seems to be the only Character able to control the Kryll, as they are likely to devour anything in the dark. Possibly a mutated form of bat, they will only attack in the dark. Even Street Lamps are enough to drive them away. Kryll were eliminated during the Lightmass Bomb in Gears 1.

The Leviathan is a large, deadly fish. It is the only known creature of its kind, although it’s safe to assume there might be others. The Leviathan is killed during Marcus and Dom’s trip to the Hollow. We now know there are several other Leviathans. These have been turned Lambent.

Gunboat Fish propel the Locust boats on the Cavern lakes. These unnamed fish serve as the engines and resemble an aquatic version of a Reaver with eyes and fins. They are damage resistant like rock worms, able to withstand any and all weapons that are known.

Rock Worms are fairly peaceful creatures. They inhabit the Locust Underground and move through tunnels. A glowing red fruit seems to be their only food source and they are impervious to bullets, their bodies seeming like stone. The only weak spot seems to be their head and tail. Worshiped and eaten by Locusts, they will ignore anything until it gets in front of them.

The Rift Worm is the Locust Deity. Worshiped by the Kantus, the Rift Worm was apparently woken by Delta Squad detonating the Lightmass bomb. A city sized worm, it is capable of leveling cities, causing them to sink underground. The high Priest Skorge is the only creature able to control the Rift Worm. The Rift Worm would seem to be ancient, as the Locust Religion (The Trinity of Worms) points to a slumber of the Three Great Worms. As these creatures have never been seen by mankind (in recorded history) they possibly have been slumbering for centuries. It is possible that the Rift Worm is a Rock Worm that has grown for many centuries, due to the similarities in appearance.

Nemacytes live inside the Rift Worm. They reside in the layers of the Rift Worm, only emerging to devour any living organisms that enter the Rift Worm. Acting like antibodies, they protect the Rift Worm’s internal systems. Their Origin remains a mystery.

When the Locusts that were living too close to the Immulsion turned Lambent, the Locust organization seemed to turn south. With possible extinction facing the Locust, the Queen could have sent an envoy to the humans asking for assistance. But, since the Locust had been hidden for many years, the COG did not know who they were, and feared they were a new enemy.

Locusts were capturing humans for a very specific purpose. During the Locust Civil War, the Lambent Locust had the upper hand. Losing ground and troops, the Queen sent her Horde to capture humans to convert them. Using the Retro-Virus, they planned to make additions to their army. It’s possible that the retro-virus needs a weak willed host to exist. A Strong willed host could possibly overcome the mind altering effects, like the Queen. The Locust would spend time torturing and breaking humans in order to convert them into soldiers.

Since the Locust were considered an enemy by the humans, and facing the Lambent below was more difficult, the Locust turned to attack the humans for their land instead. Using the worms they worshiped, they tunneled underneath cities, emerging at times to overcome their enemies.

Adam Fenix was captured by the Locusts, knowing he was a scientist. The Queen could have asked him for help to revert to human again, or possibly as a bridge between their two cultures in order to achieve a peace in return for help against the Lambent.

The Lambent:
    Lambent Locust appears to be more than just a new form of the Horde. Caused by an overexposure to Immulsion, the Lambents defended themselves during the Locust Civil War.

While Lambent Wretches seem to be more of a suicide bomber, the Drones appear to be more of army. While they do not explode, a very interesting event occurs after a Lambent Drone is killed. Instead of an explosion, the energy leaves the Drone’s corpse and is absorbed by another living Drone. When a Lambent Drone dies while Delta is in the hollow, the glowing energy leaves his body and appears to move towards another lambent drone, vanishing into him. This act is confusing, as the energy acts almost with a will of its own.

It is possible that the exposure of a sentient life form to the Immulsion caused the Immulsion itself to awaken. With a new existence, the now lambent life form attacks the Locust Horde, seeking more bodies for it to exist in. With the abuse of the Immulsion as an energy source, the Lambent Horde takes the fight to the Humans.

Rather than the Sinking of Jacinto being the end to the Locust, it instead pushes more bodies into the Immulsion, allowing the Lambent to expand its forces. The puppet army of the Lambent now seeks to destroy the Humans who abused it for decades. The Lambent will stop at nothing until it has its revenge.
    That’s my theory on the Locust origin. Please let me know your opinions and any oversights I might have made.
    Last edited by TAO Devil; 06-16-2011 at 08:17 AM.
    That was Zen, This is TAO
    Ranked #1 in the World for AWESOMENESS!

Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom
    GzB Baby! WHOOOO! EGFC Member
    First member to ever hit 30,000 posts. I am He Who Must Not Be Named

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: yalnif

didn't you post something similar to this before? (i quickly skim read the ending)

Gamer IDs

yes, the first line in this post explained that I revised and added what I didn't have the time for the previous one. It's an updated version.

Follow me @TAO_Devil Follow my Gaming Blog @DevilsGameroom or view the site The Devils Gameroom

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TAO Devil View Post
    yes, the first line in this post explained that I revised and added what I didn't have the time for the previous one. It's an updated version.
    okay i'll read it in full now.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

i love your theories on the specific locusts and on the bigger ones too.

Banned

Sounds good but I think the Corpsers, Brumaks ect are just animals of Sera.

I haven't got time to reply properly but I probably will when I get home.

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SQuirrel147

wow............ that is really thought out lol! it does make alot of sense and has alot of connections and links.....pretty good!
    ~ SQ ~

Yes I am looking forward to Judgment. But NOT because it's Gears.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by yalnif View Post
    i love your theories on the specific locusts and on the bigger ones too.
    thanks....

The bigger locust (brumak, corpser) are the more diff. to identify since they do not seem connected, but they are domesticated to a point.

Reavers would seem more like giant insects, but they are something I'm still working on.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
    Sounds good but I think the Corpsers, Brumaks ect are just animals of Sera.

I haven't got time to reply properly but I probably will when I get home.
    I did think of that, and for the corpser I could possibly see it happening, but it would have been a mutation for them to become domesticated and controlled. Same with Brumak, although they seem more of a possible link to other (albeit, larger) animals.

Banned

I did think of that, and for the corpser I could possibly see it happening, but it would have been a mutation for them to become domesticated and controlled. Same with Brumak, although they seem more of a possible link to other (albeit, larger) animals.
    The only reason I think they are Animals is because they are trained by the Locust like a dog to a human also it's Sci-Fi so anything goes really.

Banned

Also what if Niles is a Locust and Niles created humans

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

ummm about the corpsers i think they are like spiders but that is a little to easy i think.
    ~ SQ ~

Gamer IDs

The only reason I think they are Animals is because they are trained by the Locust like a dog to a human also it's Sci-Fi so anything goes really.
    well, my post was that they were originally animals, but were mutated versions, either from the retro-virus of the plant, or immulsion exposure.

I don;t know that they would have been originally that way, w/o mutation, but it is possible.

Gamer IDs

Also what if Niles is a Locust and Niles created humans
    lol. that's actually a funny twist......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by squirrel147 View Post
    ummm about the corpsers i think they are like spiders but that is a little to easy i think.
    It doesn't always have to be complicated

As I said it is Sci-Fi and anything is possible

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

It doesn't always have to be complicated

As I said it is Sci-Fi and anything is possible
    so in other words a corpser could just be a monkey?

and reavers look kinda like water bugs to me.

p.s i was going to put i funny picture and say something funny but don't wanna get your thread closed TAO
    ~ SQ ~

Gamer IDs

so in other words a corpser could just be a monkey?

and reavers look kinda like water bugs to me.

p.s i was going to put i funny picture and say something funny but don't wanna get your thread closed TAO
    they either get closed or fade away. I've had one thread that got past 100 replies.

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

they either get closed or fade away. I've had one thread that got past 100 replies.
    wow the largest amount i have gotten i think is 50 but not sure.
    ~ SQ ~

Gamer IDs

wow the largest amount i have gotten i think is 50 but not sure.
    lol. have you looked at your Gears 1 cheevo thread lately?

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

lol. have you looked at your Gears 1 cheevo thread lately?
    lol no why? and that isn't the kinda thread that counts. plus most of the posts are from me lol bumpin it due to news or something like that all the time.

what's it at?
    ~ SQ ~

Gamer IDs

lol no why? and that isn't the kinda thread that counts. plus most of the posts are from me lol bumpin it due to news or something like that all the time.

what's it at?
    past 200.....

but getting off topic. any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms to the theory?

MSgt. Shooter Person

wow pretty good job man I like your theory, specially the links and connections u made

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

past 200.....

but getting off topic. any thoughts, suggestions or criticisms to the theory?
    only one..... who builds all of the stuff? like the building type things and all the ruins and who builds the weapons?
    ~ SQ ~

Gamer IDs

only one..... who builds all of the stuff? like the building type things and all the ruins and who builds the weapons?
    The Kantus built the Ruins. They had the barge's (river, not torture) that were pulled by mutant fish.

When the new aggressive Locust came to reside there, they took technology from the New Hope Facility and modified it to be weapons. They continuously adapt Human tech. for their own purposes and have obviously been planning this war for a while (torture barges, cages, weapons, barricades, training)

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: OldDave1982

very well thought out theory, id haveto agree with what you sead.

my thoughts

brumaks. if genetic testing took place with them they may have been gorillas or another type of primate
    same for bloodmounts.
    (queen may have been aware of what was happening with herself being tested)
    she does appear to be quite intelligent
    Suffer unto the locusts
    Lambent Force #333
    if you shake my hand. you better count your fingers.
    Seriously 3.0 - 69.74%

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by GrumpyGinger View Post
    very well thought out theory, id haveto agree with what you sead.

my thoughts

brumaks. if genetic testing took place with them they may have been gorillas or another type of primate
    same for bloodmounts.
    (queen may have been aware of what was happening with herself being tested)
    she does appear to be quite intelligent
    ahhhh, you touched on another theory I was working on.

yes, the Brumaks could have been adverse primate testing. I believe the bloodmounts were probably canine test subjects.

that part is still in process stage. I'm working on more connections for the animal sides.

Seriously...
    Gamer IDs

The Kantus built the Ruins. They had the barge's (river, not torture) that were pulled by mutant fish.

When the new aggressive Locust came to reside there, they took technology from the New Hope Facility and modified it to be weapons. They continuously adapt Human tech. for their own purposes and have obviously been planning this war for a while (torture barges, cages, weapons, barricades, training)
    ok, ok, ok. hhmmmmm you know what it makes sense because the locust can speak human(some what at least) so it makes sense with your theory. hmmmm i think i will work on some of this and tell you what a come up with.
    ~ SQ ~

Gamer IDs

bump for theories, comments, or criticism.....

check back tomorrow.....

Palace Guard

The idea is good, however I still prefer the corpser to not be some recently mutated cat but still its own unique species, that's what makes gears special, otherwise you get what... a bunch of intellegent mutated humans... sounds too much like RE5.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hitpawz View Post
    Glue a camera to the back of the bowl? Why would you want to make that kind of movie anyway? It's sick.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Commander Rown

Cool way of looking at it. The way you looked at the Locust emotionally (public rejection, etc.) is quite good.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lee Perry View Post
    WHATZZU!P!!E!RE!R

Banned

Locust are very brutal. I don't think there is any chance for them to think about making peace.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ChaosMuramasa

Quote Originally Posted by Valentinexox View Post
    Locust are very brutal. I don't think there is any chance for them to think about making peace.
    Even if they were interested in making peace, I don't think the COG would be interested in accepting any sort of truce or cease-fire.
    I live, I love, I slay, and I am content.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SpAzZuMeS

I liked the old theory with Adam Fenix being RAAM
    "The Lucky Died on E-Day"
    "\\//"
    Click teh Smilies

Gamer IDs

bump for any more suggestions, comments, criticisms.

I'm on the road today, so lets keep it going until i can read it again.

Palace Guard

in part 1 on a map "thought it was mansion"
    you have an head buste of an human female wearing
    a big collar.. pre berserker??
    I dont have clue whut i just said, so try too pardon me.
    had an blast with shotgun wretches on horde.
    breach.. ftw

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XenoXniper

Wow man, great theory i heard some other i thought was right but then read yours and was like damn... how easily a human mind can be changed, with the right words.

Well done nice thread, time well spent.
    Winners never quit. Quitters never win.
    This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by XenoXniper View Post
    Wow man, great theory i heard some other i thought was right but then read yours and was like damn... how easily a human mind can be changed, with the right words.

Well done nice thread, time well spent.
    thank you.....

bump, for any more comments, feedback, criticisms.....

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ID0NNY

Adam Fenix was captured by the Locusts, knowing he was a scientist. The Queen could have asked him for help to revert to human again, or possibly as a bridge between their two cultures in order to achieve a peace in return for help against the Lambent.

Very interesting TAO Devil.....I never thought of it like that. Nice thread btw
    Donny

Gamer IDs

bump. some new theories being added

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: The Witch King

That would really make sense, and would explain why Adam was heard at the end of the game going "What have you done?".

Perhaps the locusts were looking for a peaceful resolution through Adam. Hmmm.

There are just too many holes in the story, I truly hope Gears 3 wraps it all up.
    GT- The Witch King

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast