Iron Guard

Question Any 3d programs that are free - legal?

Are there any 3d modeling programs that I can use for UT3 for free legally?

Is blender any good? Is a trial of 3ds max 9 good (I have a demo disc from a book)?

I want a high quality 3d program that would be perfect for UT3.
    "The right to play god...is now mine"
    ~Albert Wesker

PureUT3Mods: Volume 1 - Mutator Pack:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=723693

MSgt. Shooter Person

I haven't really used Blender that much but for a free 3D modelling program it's probably the best out there. All the people I've spoken to highly recommend it.

One of the big advantages with Blender is that it will run on just about anything, even a netbook.
    Last edited by neo158; 01-28-2010 at 01:26 PM.
    Dark Fleet (Custom Build):
    Intel Core i5 2500K@3.3GHz, 8Gb OCz Spec Ops DDRIII, Asus P8P67 B3 Revision Mobo, ASUS Silent Knight II CPU Cooler, 500Gb SATA 3G HDD in AHCI Mode, SATA DVD Writer, Nvidia GeForce GTS 250 1Gb, Antec Dark Fleet DF-35 Case, Microsoft SideWinder X6 Keyboard, Microsoft Sidewinder Mouse, HP w2207h Widescreen Display @ 1680x1050, Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1

Iron Guard

I got 3ds Max 2009 now. It a trial disc. But I can add add-ons such as ActorX and keep reinstalling it every 30 days. So yaaah!
    ~Albert Wesker

Blender is an amazing piece of free software. The learning curve is very steep (especially when getting into animating), but if you can get comfortable with the interface, there's nothing it can't do (it even has it's own embedded Game Engine!).

In particular, if you have to UV map something by hand, Blender has (IMO) the BEST UV mapping editor.

Add to that a whole lot of user-created plugins and a very active community.

If you do decide to go the Blender route, might I suggest 2 books that I found invaluable when starting out in Blender:

- "The Essential Blender" (Written by the The Blender Foundation, it will get you off to a fast start getting used to the interface and workflow).

- "Introducing Character Animation with Blender" (From the Basics of animating simple models, to creating a fully rigged model and using them to create complex animations for characters and even facial animation).

The second one there is only needed if you intend to create animated models (characters and weapons), but I highly recommend the first book, it's kind of an instruction manual to Blender and how to use it most effectively.
    "He who dies with the most toys, still dies... and I steal their toys." ~SM

Specs: Gigabyte S-Series GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066, EVGA Nvidia e-8800 GT 512 MB, X-Fi XGamer, 2x WD 500 GB SATA, Philips 20x DVD+-RW Dual Layer, SolyTech 1000W PS, Cooler Master CoolDrive 4, NZXT LEXA Blackline Case /w LED Temperature Display, Sylvania 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (1680x1050)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Blender is free program. It good tool to use and easy to use once you get to know how to set up some part up. There are tons of tutorial and video tutorial about blender.

If you are interest in learning only Maya is a good solution,you cant save.There are cheap
    3d programs but Blender is free and well supporting tool.Games prefer 3dsMax and Xsi(good
    tools for conversion and best interconnect for game engines)

MSgt. Shooter Person

I miss the old days when you could have Maya Personal Learning Edition for free... Autodesk is gonna regret buying out Alias and getting rid of that option.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    Brain.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.

The Sacrifice

Big CORP's make out life better everyday dont they ?
    Where is that terrorist when we need one.

Is anyone using SoftImage? I thought they were giving particular support to Unreal 3 engine. I started working through the tutorials and learning the interface, but had a HD crash since then.

Btw, Autodesk owns SoftImage now, so that free option is there, just under a different name. And they're making it harder to find their free 'Mod Tool' version, but it's still available, and still free.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by DokEnkephalin View Post
    Is anyone using SoftImage? I thought they were giving particular support to Unreal 3 engine. I started working through the tutorials and learning the interface, but had a HD crash since then.

Btw, Autodesk owns SoftImage now, so that free option is there, just under a different name. And they're making it harder to find their free 'Mod Tool' version, but it's still available, and still free.
    I have both XSI ModTool 6.1 & 7.5 non-commercial use. It not that good plus it not easy to use. You can download it at the autodesk site XSI page...(7.5 version). I found 6.1 from cnet.com. If only autodesk would make a non-commercial/free edition of 3ds max for modders....That would be awesome!
    ~Albert Wesker

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion2500 View Post
    Are there any 3d modeling programs that I can use for UT3 for free legally?

Is blender any good? Is a trial of 3ds max 9 good (I have a demo disc from a book)?

I want a high quality 3d program that would be perfect for UT3.
    I believe you can get 3dsmax for free if you're a student. Just do a google search.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by waterxyro View Post
    I believe you can get 3dsmax for free if you're a student. Just do a google search.
    Um. It a 13-month trial plus you require a teacher from high school or collage to give you permission. My teacher said no. The autodesk education suite full edition with disc, that which contains Maya, 3ds Max, Mudbox, Motionbuilder, XSI (all 2011) for $360.00! I am thinking of buying that but I am still in high school. I am going to collage in 1 year. I will ask my collage that I am going to see if they will just give it to me for free completely.
    ~Albert Wesker

This is a kinda old bump to this thread. But the Autodesk 13-month trials only require a .edu address. There is no submission process or reference required. Perhaps if you are in high school a teacher would have to confirm your identity; Students at Universities including community college can easily start their download of maya2011 or max2011 in 2-3 minutes after confirming they do own the .edu address provided.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by OddlyOrdinary View Post
    This is a kinda old bump to this thread. But the Autodesk 13-month trials only require a .edu address. There is no submission process or reference required. Perhaps if you are in high school a teacher would have to confirm your identity; Students at Universities including community college can easily start their download of maya2011 or max2011 in 2-3 minutes after confirming they do own the .edu address provided.
    Yeah I know. Planning on getting 3ds max soon and photoshop.
    ~Albert Wesker

Iron Guard

You can get the autodesk education suite for $350 in this student website below. You get 3ds max 2011, maya 2011 (for PC & mac), Mudbox 2011 (pc & mac), XSI 7.5 full edition, and motion builder 2011 (pc & mac). That sound like the best deal!!! If you are a high school student or collage student, you can buy this, and even when you are out of collage by then, you can just upgrade instead of buy a $3000 copy of 3ds max.

http://www.studica.com/products/prod...roductid=61716
    ~Albert Wesker

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion2500 View Post
    Um. It a 13-month trial plus you require a teacher from high school or collage to give you permission. My teacher said no. The autodesk education suite full edition with disc, that which contains Maya, 3ds Max, Mudbox, Motionbuilder, XSI (all 2011) for $360.00! I am thinking of buying that but I am still in high school. I am going to collage in 1 year. I will ask my collage that I am going to see if they will just give it to me for free completely.
    Just make sure you spell college correctly on your application.

Iron Guard

wow. that embarassing. thanks for the notice.
    ~Albert Wesker

The Sacrifice

GMAX GUYS! How dare no one of you mentioned it!! Gmax is the free(+legal) version of 3dsmax. I cannot tell if there are actorx compabilities, but it rox!! I learned modeling with it and I never regret this.

Iron Guard

I have heard of it and tried it out. It does not have what the newer 3ds max have. 3ds max is alot better and 3ds max 2011 have a new feature that allows you to paint the model along with using photoshop!
    ~Albert Wesker

MSgt. Shooter Person

I happen to have downloaded SoftImage Mod Tools (formerly XSI). However, I'm not too sure what SoftImage would be closest to, in terms of learning how to use it. Would SoftImage be closer to 3ds Max, or would it be closer to Maya, in terms of how it controls? It just seems to be one of the better, and easier tools to use from a free download standpoint.
    Quote Originally Posted by Crusha K. Rool View Post
    Brain.exe has encountered an error and needs to close.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by WedgeBob View Post
    I happen to have downloaded SoftImage Mod Tools (formerly XSI). However, I'm not too sure what SoftImage would be closest to, in terms of learning how to use it. Would SoftImage be closer to 3ds Max, or would it be closer to Maya, in terms of how it controls? It just seems to be one of the better, and easier tools to use from a free download standpoint.
    I really don't know but I think it a lot different than both maya and 3ds max. But I am thinking 3ds max.
    ~Albert Wesker

MSgt. Shooter Person

I learned reverse code engineering for one thing, making 30 day trials into 9999 day trials, and thats what I did with maya lol. But the PLE from 2002 would probably work since it had its own actorX plugin when ut2004 was being modded. I've been watching the ut2004 tutorials and they are helping me in the latest maya and latest unreal...GO 3DBUZZ!
    My favorite programs: UnrealEd, UDK, Maya, Sketchup, After Effects, Photoshop, OllyDebug, IMPrec, PEiD, NASM, Metasploit. Games: BFBC2, MoH, UT3, FO:New Vegas

MSgt. Shooter Person

As others have already stated, Blender is an excellent piece of software. I started learning it in 6th grade off of web video tutorials, which i didn't fully understand, and I am a proficient User now as a high-school student. The learning curve is very steep, but it is the absolute ultimate free solution. I can vouch for this as I have recently acquired a 3-year trial for 3ds max LEGALLY through my mom's .edu email address. The main differences between blender and 3ds is the UI, workflow, and 3ds have more polygon creation luxuries.
    Thanks in advance ,
    Eldraco
    My current project:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=752462
    Code:
    BOOL isPwned;
    var killedplayer;
    var killer;
    VictorySequence{
    if(isPwned==TRUE)
    {
    killer.teabag(killedplayer)
    }
    }

Veteran

Blender does the job well enough..
    I suppose you want me to say I love you... but I don't I really really don't.
    "My Right is brilliant its like 1080P my left eye is horrible its like 240.." Bushido
    "I say we take off a nuke the booster threads from orbit... Its the only way to be sure." Ripley

Get Curried.

I'll go for Blender, as most people here would say, but my only beef with it is that it's quite clunky to use compared to 3DS Max, despite the the latter being so ridiculously expensive.

Is gmax still around?

Blender is free program.?

The Sacrifice

sarahzohar88: Totally free, including for a commercial use. I really don't like to use this program, but without Blender it would be impossible to do something almost free and commercial. Sculptris and Blender saved my neck, because the license of a 3Ds max, my favorite 3D program, in my country is about $10,000 dollars.

Is this Blender easy to learn compared to other programs of such kind?
    gametrainershq.com for those, who likes to use cheat codes.