Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Iron Guard

Default share sources of your projects. for experience exchange

Hello world)
    let's share sources of your projects. it's a good idea for experience exchange.

people who make something really-unreal good games or game prototypes please share with community

when i see presentation movies or tutorials or game prototype in YouTube then i wanna cry because i want to can to make something like it. and i don't know how. i read manuals, see tutorials, BUT!!! without examples i can not understand many things.

please don't be a greedy, share with others.

i wanna make RTS+RPG. and any rpg examples for me will be very useful.
    and some time ago, i thinking some like this: "hmm, i am a brainy man and i will create something just for interest just like hobby just for free and share it to every who need it."
    But i cannot study and learn UDK without examples. so i am staying in one place. it's bad(((

thanks to every who gives something for others...

Redeemer

Hmm you see there is one big problem with this.

We are making RPG, some weapons and one map are almost done, but I cannot share source of it. To speed up things I used textures from UT3, this is totally temporary just to test meshes and create meterials. We will work on our own textures later, making them now when we are trying to estimate polycount and details for meshes is pointless. Because those textures are not mine I cannot publish anything more but some pictures.

Same situation will repeat with armor system, we probably use UT3 meshes to code it, then we create our own pieces when we know how to do it and what is requited. Making those meshes now when we do not have code yet is wasted time.

MSgt. Shooter Person

^^

I think you have a good idea but you must know that much designers work on their personnal projects, and it is really difficult to know if someone who asks to share works is a nice person.
    But I think it could be interesting to work on a commun project.

I believe you should tell us more details about you Your skills for example, your experience. Then you could speak about your project or idead, your difficulties and what do you know about how to make a level, a mod, a game.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I dont know, i kind of find his post offensive when i read it, maybe its just the way he writes it.

There is ALOT of example code already out there, for most things.

If your expecting other people to just hand over there work for free, your mistaken, and its not greed (wow, your a special kind of special), or not caring for each other (how the f.. can you even say that ? pretty low, specially since its your first post).

Its just business!.
    Last edited by Brexer; 12-17-2009 at 11:34 AM.
    Theia Online (Under Construction) http://www.theia-online.com
    Sys: Intel Quad @3.4 Ghz, ATI HD 5770 OC Ed (pri), NVIDIA 8800 Ultra (PhysX), 4 Gig Ram, 3.8 TB total HDD.

Skaarj

Sounds like he's just having trouble finding out how to get started. maybe he's young, or foreign and not completely understanding our language can make things a bit more difficult?
    _h20_ just look around forums a bit, not particularly Epic's forums, however. I think the custom content threads in UT3 and Gears are good though.
    try looking around www.polycount.com, www.game-artist.net, www.conceptart.org, www.gameartisans.org for inspirations and examples of people's work.

Prisoner 849

Sources of what ? Meshes, code, materias ?

Bah, when I have some source code that is usefull for someone I'm alwyas glad to share it with everyone.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think you can read and check several forums and communities about indie games, garage games...
    It is a good way to discover the domain, but you must check the source in order to know if it is the truth.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xXTheSpaceManXx

There is no truth, only a flow of data.
    UKD: Important Classes, Functions and Members

At some point it said click for the adventure.

Marrow Fiend

I doubt you'll get anywhere with this idea, i've tried to push the same sort of thing in the UT2004/UT3 modding community but no joy, people won't share their code even if they learnt from other "open" mods.
    Now with UDK you will get even less "open" content because nearly everyone is hoping to make money out of their game, you might find 1 or 2 people who will show you how to do things but they are damn rare
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

Palace Guard

I don't mind explaining concepts or how things work in broad strokes, but simply uploading code is sort of like giving fish away (teach a man to fish, give a man a fish ...).

I find it kind of insulting actually when people just demand source code. I mean people who know how to use Unreal Engine have put in weeks, months or years of experience in knowing how to do something with it. People in the real world become teachers, tutors or consultants and get paid for their knowledge ... yet it seems here in general most people who are new to Unreal Engine 3 (simply because of the UDK) just want everything for free and want it right now [and yet will want to make AAA commercial titles].

At the end of the day, I don't think it's greedy to retain the source code written by the developer (after all, said developer spent the time to write it, debug it and so forth). If the developer is willing to release the source code or write a tutorial for it then more power to him/her; but don't hold a grudge against those that don't.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Video game is not the best business domain... If you want to make something in order to get money, I believe you have other ways ^^
    You must work hardly and with passion if you want to finish your project, and probably get money...
    No I think the best way to get many tips, it's to meet someone IRL. And just speaking about project, gameplay, optimization, software... because it is less boring, and we do not get losted in useless details about the project ><

Palace Guard

What? I didn't understand your post at all.

Iron Guard

Smile

first of all i apologies if the word "greed" has offended some people.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eildalior View Post
    ^^
    But I think it could be interesting to work on a commun project.

I believe you should tell us more details about you Your skills for example, your experience. Then you could speak about your project or idead, your difficulties and what do you know about how to make a level, a mod, a game.
    about me? its a joke? i am a newbie. i live in Russia. i know delphi and c++ a little.I have no skills yet in UDK, mods, 3d-modeling. i start to study about 3 day. not.. not that.. i am not sleeping, i can not sleeping and i sit all day and sawing video tutorials reading UDK tree and etc.
    i want to learn and its only start a way.

and it will be very useful for me if somebody can takes me in to some rpg or rts project. may be it will be useful for someone i will work with))) but its dreams maybe..

Quote Originally Posted by Brexer View Post
    I dont know, i kind of find his post offensive when i read it, maybe its just the way he writes it.
    Its just business!.
    i am russian and my english is not in the best level.
    yes its only my way to speak. not offensive.
    and i understand who works for money. but who has project just for them selfs and have worked prototypes maybe they can to share it. i dont ask to share for paid projects. and i dont ask to share design, models and etc. i ask to share few sources just to study scripting and engine and ability(or possibility) how to make some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Hitez View Post
    Sounds like he's just having trouble finding out how to get started.
    thanx, i will see it. You a little right. i am 26 years. i know how to start. but i dont know how i can erase all UT .ini delete all files that i will not use (in \src\ and UTgame\). its for start. i have many qestion. an i cannot find answers. answers is in examples))) do you think the same?

iniside great man)) scripting sources of how make...... to study or to learn... how will be right?

Eildalior ohh, if you can know hove many forums i read. my had will BOOMM))) in early future.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSpaceMan View Post
    There is no truth, only a flow of data.
    if i understand you right - man you wrong! if i make something it will be here. to make a game it is my dream from the child. how i remember when i was a child i sitting every evening with 3d max book and my P166 PC on wich 3d max 1.0 not worked...))

Quote Originally Posted by geodav View Post
    I doubt you'll get anywhere with this idea, i've tried to push the same sort of thing in the UT2004/UT3 modding community but no joy, people won't share their code even if they learnt from other "open" mods.
    Now with UDK you will get even less "open" content because nearly everyone is hoping to make money out of their game, you might find 1 or 2 people who will show you how to do things but they are damn rare
    Yes i think like you. but i understand that i will not make money in my any games. because its a hobby and i am not a very super duper game studio) so because i want to make some open source.

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    I find it kind of insulting actually when people just demand source code.
    i am not demand... i ask, because i didnt find anything in i-net.

if some one can share, please share.
    if you want i will write my game concept, story and others. maybe it is stupid but it is non-commercial and i wan to create it.

if some can teach something - it will be most useful.

and i will ask my questions on forum. but i think that i will bother to all with my questions.

and how i says before. sources i need because its examples and i will learn when i will be sawing hove its made. i dont know how else i can explain what for i need sources.

and i think that scripting sources examples needs many many many many people who starts to use UDK and finding examples or prototypes for them ideas.

and you says that you can advice. hm, its good. but i think so many people dont want to help and i think many my questions will be without answers.

Also, i create my question thread. if you can help or advice, please come there
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=712396
    Last edited by _h2o_; 12-17-2009 at 03:38 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

h2o , I think we can ask at somebody what is his profil.
    It is not a shame to be a noobie, and I think it is interesting to know how is your level, how is my level, how is the level of someone. Because it is essential to give the proper first advice I think you understand that.
    I will check on the internet if I found good forums, becausse I know some French forum more about WIP...

Prisoner 849

I must agree about there is not much programming in US over internet or how to do some things. I can read reerence file but that give me only names with comments and no idea how they can be used or what they exactly do.

I probably never share meshes (I'm bad graphic ;p), but code... sure. No reason to keep people to invent wheel all the time.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I believe we can share basic mesh or basic model.
    It could be fast to create an object with simple color map.
    I think it is the same about character. I prefer working the animation on a basic cartoon or realistic character (cf : Mr Potato ^^).
    And I think it is better for your portfolio, about the animation.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by iniside View Post
    I must agree about there is not much programming in US over internet or how to do some things. I can read reerence file but that give me only names with comments and no idea how they can be used or what they exactly do.
    its what about i mean here... that is main problem!!!!

and, it seems that we a change the main theme...

somebody share for something, please.
    and if someone have code with comments which explains what a code do.. it will be a good example. no matter what code do. it only programing examples for learning.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Eildalior View Post
    No I think the best way to get many tips, it's to meet someone IRL. And just speaking about project, gameplay, optimization, software... because it is less boring, and we do not get losted in useless details about the project ><

Oh great idea! I live in Iceland and as long as somebody supply beer i can tell him everything i know about unreal engine. And i can talk about that and drink beer for hours. I can even get my laptop and demonstrate how some tricky effects are done. However i must warn potential student, beer here is expensive and i can drink a lot.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Nawrot View Post
    Oh great idea! I live in Iceland and as long as somebody supply beer i can tell him everything i know about unreal engine. And i can talk about that and drink beer for hours. I can even get my laptop and demonstrate how some tricky effects are done. However i must warn potential student, beer here is expensive and i can drink a lot.
    Of course you can do that ! xD
    No, more serious, I think you have understood that, if you can meet people who work in the domain, or Junior / amater with an experience... it is a nice way. i know it is not always easy to meet someone, but it is a different atmosphere, a different contact.

MSgt. Shooter Person

title is misleading as it implies to get something in return. better replace share with give

But seriously. What are you expecting? Do you want to copy&paste your own game? (which would btw be an interesting case study)

Do start your project, mess around with code, try to solve it yourself and when your are really stuck post your enquiry in the forum

--
    Ah, just re-read your initial post. You want RPG/RTS examples? Search for uskaarj, unreal tactics (rts) and in the ut3 forums browse for rpg mutators I think there are at least two of them.

Iron Guard

guineapig mutators it is not a game. and how i think, mutator can show some info about how to make some.. for example inventory or something else. but it will not learn how to make own project or how to start so project.. or i mistaken?

and i dont want to copy/paste. i want to add project to UDK, run it, and see what and how works, and how it realized in code.

Nawrot ok lets drink a beer. first of all we need to create some rpg map with our avatars. in map make some chairs and many bottles of beer or may be a little pub. then we sit at home with real beer, connect in the created virtual map in server and speak there by skype-liked thing)))

p.s. please, someone share or give something
    Last edited by _h2o_; 12-18-2009 at 07:35 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

_h2o_: I like your style.. "please, someone share or give something"
    Something? You mean.. you dont have anything specific in mind? No direction in which you wanna go? What do you want to learn??
    Share anything? I can share a model of a rock if its of any interest to you..

Redeemer

Mutators make good stand alone examples for specific features. Don't disregard them just because they are not full games.

You have the existing example gametypes in the UDK source, and setting up a new gametype is described in the documentation.
    Last edited by immortius; 12-18-2009 at 08:01 AM.
    Nightblade, a stealth based total conversion for UT3

Iron Guard

I think I understand your feeling unreal engine and unrealscript are really awkward in the way they process things so yea some help is always welcome and even if brexer said there is a lot of code out there mutator or code deriving from utgame won't help. Why not ? Because as solid snake said giving some come won't help people learn how to code. So yea explaining is the best way to do. It's better to have a basic code with good explanation than a awsome code which you don't undertsna how it work. Asking for an rts game it's a bit too much imo.

I've program on other engine and it never helps using other people's code. The copy and pasting won't help if so there is a plenty of ut code. But I think you can't decipher a language just with the synthax. You need some more stuff to understand.

So I think you ask something more specific, like moving and rotating a basic object using the a button

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by sueds View Post
    So I think you ask something more specific, like moving and rotating a basic object using the a button
    yes i want this info. i explain what i need a little down.

Fallen667 if you read this thread before, i said that i want to rts|rpg game style.
    so all i need its an working example of rpg. i dont need materials or other, o just want to see how rpg game realized. how to start rpg game. what i need to code. how i can move my npc and how will attack computer NPCs on a simple map. its just for start. its be a good if there be code comments. and it will be a good if will be a simple inventory. and example how to use it and how to wear some. (inventory - its a in-game menu. i need it many but i also dont know how to make it). in really truth, i dont know nothing yet. i start, i read, i make maps but i cant do what i dont know how to do.
    but now i opened my src\mygame\classes\mygame.uc and thinking what i must do to start...

i will not use a someone rpg prototype.

i want to make turn-based strategy with rpg and economy elements (soldiers will use leveling system and inventory) with 3D isometric view. its like x-com and ufo's games series.
    but my story (or scenario) touching 2012 year, and if i will not make all early that year my story will be not interesting.

Fallen667 you can help! i know. i saw your rpg videos)) but would you? i dont think so.

forgive me, maybe all you cannot understand me... or not. not that.. i can not explain what i want and what i need. it a language difficulties i think.

i think this thread need to be closed. my idea with share its a waste of time!

only one who really said that he helps is - roychr. He is not only share, he will make a tutorial, he said.

who else can helps me with RPG|RTS advise of how to do so and so...?
    Last edited by _h2o_; 12-18-2009 at 09:12 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

_h2o_: If you look at my threads you will notice that i ddnt write a single line of code yet.. everything i did till now is kismet based.. and i think i expalined EVERYTHING that somebody asked me.. Im my project showoff i explained how i did the "selection" rings and here's details of how i attached my camera: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=709305..
    sooo.. i think i answered to everybody that had some specific questions..
    but would i pack a source of everything ive done so far and give it to you? No!!!

Im also waiting for somebody to release set of scripts that would do 3rd person cam, action-adventure style mobement of the player with walking, running, jumping, climbing, walking on the ledge, hanging from the ledge.. and some meele weapon combat would be great.. but thats a wishfull thinking! If somebody would do such a thing it will be in a year from now and it wont be free!
    So, best thing to do is start small, start with what you know, gether all the pieces of infomation you can find (theres a LOT of helpfull people, video tutorials etc..), and soon you'll have something that works for you..
    But let me tell you.. to make a game.. even if you DO get the code you're asking for.. will still take you a year of so of learning and exploring cause even if you DO get the code, it wont do EXACTLY what you want it to do and you will still have to rewrite major part of it.. and you will still have to figure out how it all works.. which is damn hard if you dont start from the basics..
    so.. start from the basics..

EDIT: oh.. and i did a "pickable item" tutorial in kismet in this thread.. http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=709748
    so.. yeah, i helped you some allready!!
    Last edited by Fallen667; 12-18-2009 at 09:21 AM.

Iron Guard

Fallen667 thanx

maybe some one have a planet model and sun model (or solar system model) in UTeditor? i tryed to do it many time but It is impossible for me)) or i should make it in 3D Max and not in UTEditor?
    Last edited by _h2o_; 12-18-2009 at 09:44 AM.

Marrow Fiend

sorry i can't help with the rpg/rts as i can't code to save my life, but if it helps check my tutorials for the weapons+vehicles, plus if you download my last UT3 mod i included all the code i used
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

Redeemer

Well I think you guys are reading a lot of negativity that isn't there simply b/c his english is poor. I think he's saying more along the lines of "I would like to see more examples so that I can learn better (and we can all learn better)". That being said:

1. You can go download all of UT3's exported script, it's freely available.
    2. Hit up UT3's forums, theres plenty of mods that provide script access, and yes, its the same stuff, UT3 is just a "mod" of the unreal engine if that helps you think of it like that.
    3. If you mean you'd like to see more like tutorials, then I'd suggest saying "can someone write more unrealscript tutorials".

Warning, the programming community in general is like this everywhere, they all seem to be borne with an established code of conduct and hostility towards poorly worded posts that hint of "can someone do this for me". And they don't do tutorials, you need to suffer like they did In all seriousness though, I have 0 coding background and I can do basic unrealscripting (things like make custom guns). If you already have C++ experience, you should be able to do a lot more. I can actually understand in a general way what it's doing just by looking at it most of the time.

danimal

Palace Guard

Well, I occasionally write tutorials, but tutorials do take a lot of effort and time to write up. I barely have time to finish my own workload let alone write tutorials for everyone. So it's not that I want to cling to the knowledge I've gained, I just don't have the time and money to spend to write them.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dracensfel

I'll release any code/assests as open source that I create. Hopefully thais may help folks out.

Now all I have to do is create.

God, a lot of wannabe's out their are so worried out sharing but to be honest, it's better to build a community based on openess than competition.

We're no pro's so let's not pretend we are. Let's get out there code/model/animate/skin/design etc and have fun.

Good luck folks I'll be back next year, long vacation has finally arrived along with a bonus.

Remember to give is to recieve, or someting like that.

MSgt. Shooter Person

_h2o_: Now you have everything to get you started.. yes, i said started.. its not the whole RTS game, but.. to get you started..

roychr posted this awesome tutorial:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=712537
    Its awesome and something a lot of us have been waiting for!

Iron Guard

Fallen667 thanx, i saw it, and i waiting it too. but i think to understand all i need more examples (or tutorials).

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Solid Snake View Post
    Well, I occasionally write tutorials, but tutorials do take a lot of effort and time to write up. I barely have time to finish my own workload let alone write tutorials for everyone. So it's not that I want to cling to the knowledge I've gained, I just don't have the time and money to spend to write them.
    I hear that, I've had a custom gun working for awhile now and honestly thought about doing a tutorial taking a slightly different approach than geodav but... the time investment would be substantial (still haven't gotten much done), I'm not really qualified and would likely give bad advice and the big one, to do a custom weapon requires you to be able to script, model, uv, texture AND animate. That is a LOT to teach and is problematic with everyone using different programs for each step. Now I know why no one makes custom gun tutorials :/

Tutorials will come though, this community and frankly Epic, is moving very quickly. After my disappointments with Epic's support in the past, this is 100x better, people are throwing up really quality learning materials left and right. Just work on what you can, then you'll find someone writing a tutorial you're interested in a week later.

danimal

MSgt. Shooter Person

H20 seems nice enough and I think he was meaning well with his post. A repository of premade simple games would be nice. Someone will end up doing it now that UDK is open. Someone will end up doing it and charging money for it even.

Good luck with your RPG H20...to lofty a goal for me. I am just sticking to simple kismet game...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Iv just finnished 5 modeling training videos, they are on my website if you guys fancy a look...
    Looking for an animator to help us out, check out this post -http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=813718

MSgt. Shooter Person

Working inventory tutorial would be great. Or tutorial with GUI aspect at all (like dialogues, and so on).

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xXTheSpaceManXx

When i get my point and click adventure running. I will explain some of the solutions I used for my problems relating to the UI.
    UKD: Important Classes, Functions and Members

At some point it said click for the adventure.

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by gokzor View Post
    Iv just finnished 5 modeling training videos, they are on my website if you guys fancy a look...
    Thanks for the tutorials, real easy to follow and exactly what i was looking for.

I i have two maths assesments for college on tuesday so i wont be playing around much with 3dsmax this evening
    Last edited by Blacklisted; 12-20-2009 at 12:12 PM.

Iron Guard

to ALL when i open new thread with name "share sources of your projects. for experience exchange" it was a request to share with all and not only for me. but and for me too))
    i am glad that some people thinks the same.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast