Default How do i bind an animation to an action ?

I've created a custom character, i followed the tutorials i could find on that matter, all of them seems to stop after getting your character in game. Right now, i have a T Pose guy sliding in the screen.

Once i made the animations, exported them to .PSA, how do i tell the game that when i press jump, you play this animation etc...

thany you very much

Veteran

All you need to do is name your animations the same as the existing ones. eg, Run, Jump, etc. You can find the list in the existing char's animset. If you need custom animations/moves they must be coded, and you can name them whatever you like as long as the name in the code matches the name of the sequence in the PSA.
    I run VoxHouse (VHSGames) and the UnrealDB.
    Film & Game producer, using and teaching UDK & Unreal Engine 4. Please stop by and say a good word on my project thread.
    Also feel free to join us on #udkc irc.gamesurge.net or via web: http://myclodel.com to chat live with others in the UDK community.

Are there any beginner tutorials for coding custom animations? I'm trying to make a fighting game, which will already require a lot of additional/custom coding. Also, must the animations be made outside of UDK or can it be done once the custom character is imported?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: madeinkenya

You will need an instance of an AnimNodeSlot which yuo can setup using this tutorial

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/Matin...trolTrack.html

Then have a look at UTPawn ecspecially the function on line 1326 which gets an AnimNodeSlot from your skeletal mesh and the function on 1522 which uses its PlayCustomAnim function to play a custom animation.

Ok, i have a little problem with my animations.

I have some simple body with a simple AnimSet (not mine, i downloaded it for testing purpose). I have succsesfully imported it to the UDK and i have it as my playable charackter and in AnimSet Editor I can play all the imported animations.

I was trying to rename the animations same as existing ones (like mentioned above). But i have this problem that i dont know the right names of the original animations.

For example:
    Let's say that i have animation that I want to play when my character is moving forward, which original animation is doing it ? I was looking in the existing char's animsets but there are too many of them ?

And one more question: Is that realy enough to name the animations like the originals ? What with the AnimSet that the animations are in ? How does the UDK knows which AnimeSet to use ?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: madeinkenya

For example:
    Let's say that i have animation that I want to play when my character is moving forward, which original animation is doing it ? I was looking in the existing char's animsets but there are too many of them ?
    If you load the AT_CH_Human AnimTree, look for the UTAnimBlendByPhysics and move the slider all the way to the left to change the physics state to PHYS_Walking. Orange shows the active branches of the tree, if you follow this to the end, you will find an anim sequence labelled run_fwd_rif which is the name of the animation. There is really no easier way apart from going through the list and finding the animation you want to use.

And one more question: Is that realy enough to name the animations like the originals ?
    If you are using an already made AnimSet, its the only way to get your mesh to animate correctly.

What with the AnimSet that the animations are in ? How does the UDK knows which AnimeSet to use ?
    You need to assign your AnimSet's name as your SkeletalMeshComponent's AnimTreeTemplate. Look at UTPawn.uc line 5910 to see how this is done.

Thanks for your help. I already figure out how to play my custom animations and animset.