Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    Iron Guard

Utility (PC) MapMixer 3.01 [FINAL] [Pics]

Name MapMixer 3.01
    Version Final Release
    Compatibility UT3 Patch 2.1 [PC ONLY]
    Homepage http://www.moddb.com/mods/sinx
    Download http://www.moddb.com/mods/sinx/downloads
    Documentation (unavailable for the moment)

Description
    MapMixer is a modification for the game Unreal Tournament 3.

It's designed to give you more control over the way you launch and manage your game session in UT3. At its core it works as a Mutator that hooks into the game, providing its unique management operations, however, it does much more. It replaces the UT3 Main Menu and provides direct links to the MapMixer Menus as well as the standard Settings Menus. MapMixer has been specifically designed from the ground up for both standalone and server environments.

The core philosophy of MapMixer is that each match you play in a game session should not be confined by one set of parameters. In other words, each match in a game session should be allowed its own individual settings, such as Game Type, Map, Rules, Mutators, Player Counts and Bots.

MapMixer provides two methods to launch a game session. The Quick Session allows you to get into the action quickly, whereas the Advanced Session gives you much greater depth in terms of customisation and randomisation. For example, in the Advanced Session, you may like to make each match a little unpredictable by randomising the setup of each match. Perhaps you’d like the Goal Score for Deathmatch to be a random value between 30 and 50, or you’d like a 5% chance that the Big Head Mutator is enabled.

In an Advanced Session, maps can have their own individual default options, either globally or for a specific Gametype. For example, you may like a particular Map to always appear with a certain Mutator or perhaps you’d like to alter the recommended Player Counts for a specific Map across different Gametypes.

MapMixer allows you to customise common settings and easily switch between configurations. With the Advanced Session Menu, you can create Lists of Settings for Rules and Mutators etc. Use the Map List Editor to create a single list of maps combined from various gametypes, individually customising them, or alternatively let MapMixer create your Session Map List by telling it what Map Sources to use and how to select from them.

MapMixer also contains its own independent Faction Management system where you can easily create and manage your own Factions, all in a graphical user interface, with the ability directly customise the look and attributes of each character, or create your own.

Each player in a MapMixer hosted session has access to an in-game Client Menu, that lets them individualise parts of their in-game experience, per user login.

Great care has been taken to support any possible gametype in a generic manner, where no dependancies are created on additonal downloadable content. To support a gametype, all you need do is modify a configuration file, and MapMixer comes pre-configured for use with a number of community gametypes.

MapMixer keeps all its settings completely separate from the game and will not overwrite or harm any original setting.

Screenshots

Comments:

It brings me great pleasure to announce that MapMixer 3.00 has been elevated to final release status.

(Yes, it's true - this is not a joke! Perhaps only for the reason I couldn't think of anything humorous to write about the number 6. ;-) Although it was suggested to me that I get the final release out before the world ends in 2012. :P )

There was a time, at the very beginning of this project, where I was faced with significant technical challenges and I seriously thought MapMixer for UT3 would not be possible, for very good reasons. The fact that I was able to accomplish all that I originally wanted and more is a testament to not giving up on something you believe in - even when things look bleak. Its been a great deal of work but its also been great fun and I'm very happy with the results.

Unreal Tournament has just turned 10 years old and its been more than a privilege to be in a position, like so many other people in the UT Community, to return back something to the game that has given so much to us all. Long live UT!

I'd like to thank everyone who has been involved in testing - both of MapMixer and their patience levels, waiting for this day to come. I've received a lot of encouraging feedback from people, and I'd like you all to know that its helped spur me on.

Will there be a MapMixer 3.10? Well, I have a wishlist but whether this eventuates, only time will tell.

You can find MapMixer 3.00 at the MapMixer site in the UT3 downloads section, along with a link to some MapMixer UT3 Loading Screen replacements, kindly made by McTecman (Check them out!).

Have fun, and thanks again to everyone for their support!
    Last edited by sinx; 04-17-2010 at 02:47 AM. Reason: Minor release update: PLEASE NOTE the official mapmixer site no longer exists. Please see http://www.moddb.com/mods/sinx

Checked your log file?

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Madcatz75

This is excellent.

Boomshot

wow....final...finally
    thx for that tool mate...UT3 is not the same for me since i use ur baby(i mean it dont gives that "beta" feeling anymore)
    "pro" work;5 stars all long
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just cant praise this highly enough. Because it doesn't have the awe factor of say a stunning map and it's easy to forget its there when playing, the scale of the improvement on the default GUI is easily forgotton. As a reminder, just go back to what you got as standard from epic and and then tell me this isn't THE major contribution to UT3 this year.
    The amount of work that has gone into this is astounding. It works, it's a pleasure to use, it has pretty much every feature one could possibly want and makes the default offering look like a bunch of modders knocked it up as a spare.
    Thank you very much sinx. Simply brilliant

MSgt. Shooter Person

5 stars all around. I can't imagine going back to the dark ages without mapmixer. Truly excellent, great job.
    "Scripters make the technology, Television makes the inspiration, Modders make the content."
    "Full of greatness or full of despair, We cannot change thy past. Thy present is thy future's past, Careful not waste it."

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: U1 849 K A

W007! Final. Awsome work, Sinx, I honestly can't imagine UT without it.

Added a link to this thread in my sig.

The new loading screens look great, too!
    MAP MIXER 3.00 Final! UT ain't complete without it.
    Does any one know where the love of God goes When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
    The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay If they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.
    They might have split up or they might have capsized; They may have broke deep and took water.
    And all that remains is the faces and the names Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

Iron Guard
    www.ut-files.com | The largest Unreal file hosting site.

Prisoner 849

Nice work mate 10 out of 10 excellent work.
    Intel Quad Core i7 860 2.80-3.20Ghz, Gigabyte GA-P55-UD3, 8GB 1333 DDR3 Zeppelin Ram, Navida GTX 460 1GB, Windows 7 64.

Deinonychus the Raptor

MSgt. Shooter Person

Absolutely fantastic stuff! I would never dream of playing UT3 without this. Your efforts are greatly appreciated - by me, and im sure hundreds of others.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm, seems the bots won't load as any player model other than default after the first map in the rotation. It used to load them in as the map is starting, now nothing.
    Last edited by Secundus; 12-04-2009 at 10:06 AM.
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
    Video Card: ATI 4870 1GB
    Memory: 3GB, DDR2 667
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE

Congrats on hitting Final, man.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by McTecman View Post
    Congrats on hitting Final, man.
    ...and thx for the nice pictures change McTecman m8.....another fresh wave on my UT3
    Last edited by Bl!tz~; 12-04-2009 at 03:40 PM.
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

Thanks for the final release
    This is a great modification

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: U1 849 K A

Quote Originally Posted by Secundus View Post
    Hmm, seems the bots won't load as any player model other than default after the first map in the rotation. It used to load them in as the map is starting, now nothing.
    Check the Client Menu and make sure "Instant Character Loading" is ticked.
    MAP MIXER 3.00 Final! UT ain't complete without it.
    Does any one know where the love of God goes When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
    The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay If they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.
    They might have split up or they might have capsized; They may have broke deep and took water.
    And all that remains is the faces and the names Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

Iron Guard

Thanks everyone for your feedback. I'm glad it's helping others out so much.

You've probably not set the UT3 option 'Always Load Custom Characters' in Settings->Player.

You only need to set the Client Menu option 'Instant Character Loading' if you don't want to use the UT3 streaming load method, so leave this off (default) to begin with and if you don't like the characters loading in gradually, then you can tick this option to have the game pause and force the characters to load immediately when they enter a match.

Most of the time UT3 doesn't load my personal character for the first match (but does after that). I use the MapMixer console command 'mutate mm loadmodel <playername>' to force my character to load. If you don't specify a player name then it force-loads models for every player. (This is a client-side command.)

Checked your log file?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
    Check the Client Menu and make sure "Instant Character Loading" is ticked.
    That did it.

It may have stopped working since I installed over an old version of mapmixer.

Oh well, it works now.
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
    Video Card: ATI 4870 1GB
    Memory: 3GB, DDR2 667
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE

Iron Guard

That did it.

It may have stopped working since I installed over an old version of mapmixer.

Oh well, it works now.
    That is not entirely the correct answer to your question and if you haven't, you should read my reply above. You only need to enable that option in the Client Menu if you don't wish to use the default UT3 streaming option. In fact I nearly removed this option in the Client Menu as it is technically not required any more - but I left it there to give people an alternative.

Checked your log file?

Redeemer

Congrats sinx!!! What an "EPIC" adventure I'm sure it was to get this to final.

And now I must get in the crouched position, ready to dodge the bullets because I must mention that at one time you mentioned looking at a map voting feature only after 3.00 was released. For me, it would be insanely awesome to have MapMixer with a sinx-style multiplayer voting menu with prevue screens etc. I will fully understand if the thought of more MapMixer work makes you want puke though.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by M^vL View Post
    Congrats sinx!!! What an "EPIC" adventure I'm sure it was to get this to final.

And now I must get in the crouched position, ready to dodge the bullets because I must mention that at one time you mentioned looking at a map voting feature only after 3.00 was released. For me, it would be insanely awesome to have MapMixer with a sinx-style multiplayer voting menu with prevue screens etc. I will fully understand if the thought of more MapMixer work makes you want puke though.
    Thank you.

Ah yes, map voting (what a good memory you have ) - it keeps rearing its head. I'm currently on a diversion atm, waiting for the other next diversion, so when and if I come back to UT3, I'll give the whole map voting topic some thought. If I didn't have to work (hint to some rather wealthy person who doesn't quite know what to do with their money ;-) ), I'd have more time for such things but its never been a priority for me, though it doesn't mean it can never happen.

Checked your log file?

Congrats on going final with your "baby". As I have stated before, for off-line play, a small step behind custom maps, Map Mixer really helps make the game more enjoyable to play.

While it doesn't change the actual game play, it does allow such diversity when playing maps. You can play a 1on1 DM map with 3 players, then go to a Greed 10 vs 10, then you're playing a WAR map with 12 vs 12.

How cool is that! Now that it's gone final, I have "patched" from RC 1 and now can really dive into tweaking all my custom player counts and such.

On a personal note: I just rented a small server from a company and tried to setup MM to handle the game session. I have looked at the Dedicated Server page on the MM site, but it presumes you know what you are doing (which I don't when it comes to dedicated servers).

Is there a community member that can help myself (and possibly others) with a "nOOb's guide to using MapMixer with a dedicated server"? I know enough to launch a dedicated server from my own PC, but not one that's located in Dallas, TX and I only have FTP/website access to.

Thanks in advance if there is that willing person/s.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
    On a personal note: I just rented a small server from a company and tried to setup MM to handle the game session. I have looked at the Dedicated Server page on the MM site, but it presumes you know what you are doing (which I don't when it comes to dedicated servers).
    I recommend you start with Listen Servers, until you work out the networking options you need. Just remember the MapMixer Server Admin List.

Checked your log file?

Quote Originally Posted by sinx View Post
    I recommend you start with Listen Servers, until you work out the networking options you need. Just remember the MapMixer Server Admin List.
    That's easy, I can do that already. It's the remote dedicated server that's the challenge.

Iron Guard

That's easy, I can do that already. It's the remote dedicated server that's the challenge.
    Well, you'll need to configure your UTMapMixer_*.ini files locally and then transfer them to the remote server. Unfortunately there is no Web Admin for MapMixer (give me a couple more years ;-) ), however there are MapMixer console commands that will let you do a few things.

Checked your log file?

Well, you'll need to configure your UTMapMixer_*.ini files locally and then transfer them to the remote server. Unfortunately there is no Web Admin for MapMixer (give me a couple more years ;-) ), however there are MapMixer console commands that will let you do a few things.
    I figured that much out, but I guess I should ask my questions to get some clarity...

1. Where do you install MM on the remote dedicated server?
    2. After making the UTEngine.ini adjustment and uploading all of the .ini files that you mention we have to create "offline", then upload, can we log into the remote server as admin?
    3. If we can, can we use our client menu to switch maps?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Congrats on going FINAL. Been a long time, and I know it's been a huge amound of work to get there.

I've not played the game in quite a while, but when I turn it on for my regular XMas UT evenings, this will make the experience far more enjoyable.

Thank you
    VCTF - Aggressive Alleys 3
    HOT WET PRO - MSUC Phase 3 Finalist

BeaZombie.com - Be A Zombie in a low budget UK horror film, all profits going to charity!

Chainsaw Films

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawFilms View Post
    Congrats on going FINAL. Been a long time, and I know it's been a huge amound of work to get there.

I've not played the game in quite a while, but when I turn it on for my regular XMas UT evenings, this will make the experience far more enjoyable.

Thank you
    I too haven't played it much lately either (been too busy catching up on other games and just having a break from UT) but indeed UT(3) will always have its place.

Also, thanks for your assistance with the Editor. <- I originally had a black background for the 3D Character Editor but it was ChainsawFilms suggestion for the emitters and implementation, which spiced things up. If I remember correctly, he also came up with his own 3D fly-by for the Menus, which he still may have if people were interested.

Checked your log file?

My friend and I have some questions? He is creating a listen server, which I am joining and...

1. He can log on as administrator when he starts the game. I can then join the game and log on ad admin, everything is fine. At the start of the next round, we get a message saying both of us are logged on as admin, but only I have the ability to control settings. Plus, he can no longer log in, while I am admin. Is this normal and if so, why?

2. Suggestion: I think it would be best to have a separate "log in" and "log out". Right now, there is no visible way of logging in and out (or it's not clear)

Iron Guard

My friend and I have some questions? He is creating a listen server, which I am joining and...

1. He can log on as administrator when he starts the game. I can then join the game and log on ad admin, everything is fine. At the start of the next round, we get a message saying both of us are logged on as admin, but only I have the ability to control settings. Plus, he can no longer log in, while I am admin. Is this normal and if so, why?
    I'll assume you are referring to MapMixer's Match Administrator auto-login feature that is provided in its own tab on the Client Menu. There's no rocket science here. All that MM does is keep a list of servers (that you create) and passwords (encrypted), then at the beginning of a match it will check to see if you are currently playing on one of the servers listed and if so, it will call the UT3 Console Command 'adminlogin <password>'. No administrator magic outside of that.

2. Suggestion: I think it would be best to have a separate "log in" and "log out". Right now, there is no visible way of logging in and out (or it's not clear)
    I'll assume here that you are referring to the Gamespy Logout/Login button at the left bottom of the Client Menu. There is only one button here because their operations are mutually exclusive. The way it works is that as soon as you click on Logout, it automatically logs you out and asks for the next login. I don't think there is much point in having a button for each as only one operation is relevant at once.

As you're new to setting up a remote dedicated server, I would suggest doing it all without MM and then trying it with MM. What this will do is enable you to separate any questions that relate specifically to UT3 and not MM.

Checked your log file?

Redeemer

Thank you.

Ah yes, map voting (what a good memory you have ) - it keeps rearing its head. I'm currently on a diversion atm, waiting for the other next diversion, so when and if I come back to UT3, I'll give the whole map voting topic some thought. If I didn't have to work (hint to some rather wealthy person who doesn't quite know what to do with their money ;-) ), I'd have more time for such things but its never been a priority for me, though it doesn't mean it can never happen.
    Damn I guess I'd better start buying some lottery tickets LOL!!

I'll assume you are referring to MapMixer's Match Administrator auto-login feature that is provided in its own tab on the Client Menu. There's no rocket science here.
    I know what it does, but does it allow more than 2 admins (or maybe the game itself) logged in a one time, because right now, that won't happen after the first round.

I'll assume here that you are referring to the Gamespy Logout/Login button at the left bottom of the Client Menu. There is only one button here because their operations are mutually exclusive. The way it works is that as soon as you click on Logout, it automatically logs you out and asks for the next login. I don't think there is much point in having a button for each as only one operation is relevant at once.
    IF you can only have 1 admin logged in at one time, there is no clear way to logout. The "Logout' button logs your player off from the GameSpy server, which is obviously not the same as logging out as the server's admin.

As you're new to setting up a remote dedicated server, I would suggest doing it all without MM and then trying it with MM. What this will do is enable you to separate any questions that relate specifically to UT3 and not MM.
    I understand that. Right now, the last questions I asked have nothing to do with a dedicated server, just a listen server. Sorry that I am kind of mixing them together.

Iron Guard

So, you are saying that you are being informed that only one player may have administrator access at one time? If so, how exactly are you being informed of this?

Keeping in mind that MapMixer does not control the match administration access, this is handled entirely by UT3. MapMixer simply provides the administrator auto-login function.

You have to think of what MapMixer does with the match administration as simply providing you a quick way to open up the console and type 'adminlogin <password>' - UT3 handles all aspects of the game administration, which is hidden from MapMixer.

So I'd like to know exactly how you are being informed that only one person may be an active administrator at one time. If this were so, then it would not be a function of MapMixer but UT3 because it would be like you and your friend both joining a non-mapmixer match and both typing in 'adminlogin <password>'.

Checked your log file?

So I'd like to know exactly how you are being informed that only one person may be an active administrator at one time. If this were so, then it would not be a function of MapMixer but UT3 because it would be like you and your friend both joining a non-mapmixer match and both typing in 'adminlogin <password>'.
    If the game is handling all of the administration stuff, then I guess it's the game and not MM. Here is what happens.

1. Player A starts a listen server and is automatically logged on as admin using MM.
    2. Player B joins and is automatically logged on as admin using MM as well. Right now, both players have access to the "Maps" tab (which won't be present when you are not an admin).
    3. Rounds ends and next map starts (while in the same session).
    4. Player A is no longer able to changes maps, which we presume he has been logged out as admin by either the game or MM.
    5. Player B is still logged in as admin and all is well in his world.
    6. Player A can't log in at any time while Player B is logged in as admin.

We have tested this a few times to make sure we weren't imagining things. If the actual game won't let there be more than 1 admin on a listen server (which makes sense to a degree), then we will just have 1 admin.

Hopefully this makes sense.

Iron Guard

If the game is handling all of the administration stuff, then I guess it's the game and not MM. Here is what happens.

Hopefully this makes sense.
    Yup, that makes sense.

What I'd suggest doing is starting a Listen Server without MapMixer (in the normal way) and then imitate the auto-admin-login by opening the console and typing 'adminlogin <password>' at the beginning of each match for each player in the session.

Unless the default behaviour has changed, UT3 will not transfer administration login status per match in a session (always been that way), and thus you need to admin-login (ie 'adminlogin <password>') each match (thus the MapMixer admin-auto-login feature). So unless someone can point out that it is now different, I'd suggest giving my test a go above.

Checked your log file?

Unless the default behaviour has changed, UT3 will not transfer administration login status per match in a session (always been that way), and thus you need to admin-login (ie 'adminlogin <password>') each match (thus the MapMixer admin-auto-login feature). So unless someone can point out that it is now different, I'd suggest giving my test a go above.
    Will do on Wednesday.

Random though: Why would Epic design it so it logs you out as an admin after each map?

Iron Guard

Will do on Wednesday.

Random though: Why would Epic design it so it logs you out as an admin after each map?
    I guess it's a built in security measure. The AccessControl class in the Engine handles prelogins and administration access but the GameInfo class Login() function specifically set a player to non-administrator when they login. I haven't looked into this very deeply but there'd be more answers if you looked deeper into the source code.

Checked your log file?

MSgt. Shooter Person

After having mapmixer installed for about 2 days, I must say this is exactly what I missed in UT3. mapmixer combines the pros of UT3 and UT2k4, or at least eliminates one con of UT3: the lack of control over the game (for me offline sessions in the first place). Now I can finally play random maps, without having to go back to the main menu each time i wish to switch the map.
    I experienced one odd thing though: UT3 doesn't recognize if c or ctrl+c is hit, so I had to change the menu shortcuts after the first game (at the beginning of the next game), because I assigned the advanced match making menu to ctrl+a, which caused me not to be able to strafe left anymore^^
    But you really did an amazing job, this is what the UI of UT3 should have looked like from the beginning

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Sp4der View Post
    After having mapmixer installed for about 2 days, I must say this is exactly what I missed in UT3. mapmixer combines the pros of UT3 and UT2k4, or at least eliminates one con of UT3: the lack of control over the game (for me offline sessions in the first place).
    Good to hear.

Now I can finally play random maps, without having to go back to the main menu each time i wish to switch the map.
    Funny how the little things mean so much. I guess one of the reasons they didn't do this is because it would be impossible to support this over a networked game in the same way it can be easily done in single-player modes, without a completely separate menu that supports replication of server options (like MM Client Menu), thus why MapMixer only supports opening the Quick & Advanced Session Menus on the local machine (Offline or Listen Server).

I experienced one odd thing though: UT3 doesn't recognize if c or ctrl+c is hit, so I had to change the menu shortcuts after the first game (at the beginning of the next game), because I assigned the advanced match making menu to ctrl+a, which caused me not to be able to strafe left anymore^^
    But you really did an amazing job, this is what the UI of UT3 should have looked like from the beginning
    MapMixer utilises the UT3 input system but exposes the ability to use the qualifier keys such as Ctrl, Alt & Shift. I have seen some complications with this arise (perhaps one of the reasons they left it out of their own UI) but I chose to leave it in so people had the choice. Most of the time it works fine but I'd imagine some issues might arise when you try to bind a MapMixer Key using a qualifier that is used with a profile keybind. I have the Advanced Session Menu bound to the Home key and the Quick Session Menu bound to Ctrl-Home without any problems, but then I don't use the Home key with my online profile.

Checked your log file?

Thumbs up Thanks and a question.

sinx, I'll say it yet again again, this is a truly excellent addition to UT3.

I have a question, is there a way to bring up the map info page, to enter comments, while playing a map? I have tried but can't find it. Always thought this would be an awesome addition, but figured I just missed it.

Yes, being able to easily switch maps/game types/etc is one of the many reasons this is a must have.
    Losing faith in gamers/people, one forum rant at a time...

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by nfleming View Post
    sinx, I'll say it yet again again, this is a truly excellent addition to UT3.
    Glad it brings some joy.

I have a question, is there a way to bring up the map info page, to enter comments, while playing a map? I have tried but can't find it. Always thought this would be an awesome addition, but figured I just missed it.

Yes, being able to easily switch maps/game types/etc is one of the many reasons this is a must have.
    Assuming you are playing an offline game or on the local machine of a listen server, you can open either the Quick Session Menu or the Advanced Session Menu from within the current match (ie, you don't have to return to the Main Menu). The Client Menu has keybinds for them in the 'Keys' Tab.

Both the Quick Session and Advanced Session Menus allow you to access the map info for any map.

Checked your log file?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast