Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast
    Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Yacob3

I'm trying to follow the TopDown Game tutorial and I need to attach a Dynamic Trigger Volume to "SM_Block"

When I do this though I get this message:

"Some object assignments failed because of cross-package references."

I'm not sure what this mean or how to solve the problem.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Yacob3 View Post
    I'm trying to follow the TopDown Game tutorial and I need to attach a Dynamic Trigger Volume to "SM_Block"

When I do this though I get this message:

"Some object assignments failed because of cross-package references."

I'm not sure what this mean or how to solve the problem.
    I still need help on this problem. I have no idea why I get this message Does anyone have any idea why this message would appear?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

How do I fix this problem.

I'm trying to set up the display message when the player doesn't have all the keys, but every time I set off the trigger the game goes into pause instead of going through the Teleport and telling the player they don't have all the keys.

I think it has something to do with the delay feature in kismet as I turn that off I can go through the teleport fine, but when I add the delay it goes into pause mode.

Super Moderator

Today I updated the Video Tutorials page with a file containing English .srt subtitle files for each of the videos.

The subtitle files are text files with timing information, and a player like VLC can read them.

They might help non-english speakers understand what's being said some more, or members of the community could use them to make translations for their native languages. We are in the process of translating them into Korean.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by crypton View Post
    I guess this topic is already flooded with problems :P. I haven't found any solution with search to my issue. I was doing Simple Level tutorial. In the part where I had to go to the Geometry mode and select a vertex in tutorial the move widget stayed planar but mine is under angle:

Followed everything exactly. Also when trying to make my own level this thing happens. What might cause this? Using UDK March release.

Thanks in forward.
    Switch to the World coordinate system in the toolbar. It's set to Local on yours.

Iron Guard

When will there be some Camera tutorials? I'm struggling you see because my UnrealScript book hasn't arrived yet due to delays.
    Last edited by Snufkin; 05-23-2010 at 05:49 AM.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: tridiART

Thank you epic and buzz!!!

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Snufkin View Post
    When will there be some Camera tutorials? I'm struggling you see because my UnrealScript book hasn't arrived yet due to delays.
    No one has. Welcome to months ago.

Super Moderator

Hey all,

I'm thinking about doing another batch of pipeline videos of things I usually do on a day to day basis. I probably won't get to it until sometime after E3 is over, but I'm thinking about making videos on(approval pending):

Gore-how to set up gore in the editor using alt mesh weights
    Animation-going over the animset viewer tips and tricks and workflow
    Anim trees - going over how to do some cool stuff with skeletal controls in an anim tree.

If anyone has any interest, let me know and I'll see if I can get some approval to hit some of these. Would probably be a useful resource for UDN anyhow.

Thanks!

Iron Guard

Gore sounds good

Skaarj

the more the merrier right?
    Actually time is all relative, But if we had more time i could explain everything to you.

Wheresoever tread the sons of man, War follows in their wake, even unto the heavens...

Angels Fall First: Planetstorm
    http://affuniverse.com/forums/

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: KONSUMIDIOT

Quote Originally Posted by jernst View Post
    Hey all,

I'm thinking about doing another batch of pipeline videos of things I usually do on a day to day basis. I probably won't get to it until sometime after E3 is over, but I'm thinking about making videos on(approval pending):

Gore-how to set up gore in the editor using alt mesh weights
    Animation-going over the animset viewer tips and tricks and workflow
    Anim trees - going over how to do some cool stuff with skeletal controls in an anim tree.

If anyone has any interest, let me know and I'll see if I can get some approval to hit some of these. Would probably be a useful resource for UDN anyhow.

Thanks!
    sounds cool.
    I'd love to see more videos about how someone can create large good-looking outdoor maps though

MSgt. Shooter Person

+1 for the large good-looking outdoor maps

hmmm ... whammes are you here ?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I love these video tutorials by 3dbuzz. I had a school project to make a game in about 7 weeks, and I was able to do it with the help of all these great videos

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GUYVERZERO

Quote Originally Posted by anoon View Post
    I am watching video 05_-_Kismet__005_TogglingMaterial.mp4

at 00:01:35, the viewer is instructed to add:
    New Actor-->Material Instance-->Set Vector Param

However, when attempting this, all I see is:

New Actor-->Material Instance-->Set Scalar Param

What am I doing wrong?
    Ive just come across the same problem lol,dose anyone know the other way to do it? ill try myself in the mean time

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: GUYVERZERO

Quote Originally Posted by chrustec View Post
    Hey Guys,

I finally got around to walking through the VTMS on the weekend (well done Buzz Crew) I found that due to an update in the Jan/Feb UDK there is now an error in the VTM - in "05_-_Kismet__013_DelayedCountdown" video at around 6min 38sec they use an Action->Switch->Delayed. This node was remove from the UDK for some odd reason so I spent about 10 mins playing around to find a work around and thought I would share it with the community.

Basically what I did was used a regular Switch with 11 links and a 'Remote Event' node calle "CountDown". I then put the delay on the link from the Remote Event to the Switch so you can modify the delay time in 1 spot. Then with each Play Announcement node I send the 'Out' to an 'Activate Remote Event' node firing off "CountDown" which allows the flow of the countdown to work as if I was using a Delayed Switch.

My setup has the same layout roughly to the VTM - if anyone is not sure what I did or needs clearing instructions let me know I am happy to help.

One thing I would like to see the Buzz crew do for VTMs for the UDK in the future is focus more onthe UDK side and less on the editor side - I would have liked to see some VTMs based on "this is how you get a character and camera into your udk project" - Dont get me wrong I loved the VTMs and I have learned a great deal more. But I would have at least expected a small uscript VTM on gettig a custom character, weapon and gametype and camera system (kinda a VTM on how Dungeon Defence or Wizzle was made) that would have been AWESOME Anyway - I hope this post helps those stuck in the Kismet VTM. Enjoy.

Works perfect for me dude Nice One!

im having problems downloading some(most) of the links, some of them wont show the download page and some wont download after prassing download
    can someone help me?

p.s
    what do i need to do with the asset package?
    i cant import it to UDK so...
    Last edited by arielapp; 08-13-2010 at 07:12 AM.

Hey, just a quick question in relation to the Simple Level tutorials.

I've put some stairs in my level, and I noticed that I can't actually go up them, the character just slides off them when I jump on them and doesn't walk on them. I was hoping that the Tutorial is going to tell you how to make that work, but unfortunately I either missed it, or it wasn't there. Any suggestions?

Iron Guard

Big Grin Love the videos

Love the 3D Buzz videos and the Jeremy Ernst videos.... they REALLY help a lot. This sets a really high standard for software video tuition. I'm impressed on so many levels. Thank you chaps, terrific work.

Iron Guard

I had exactly the same problem with tutorial "16_-_TopDownGame_022_AddingBots_SpawnBots". Mine cut out early too, the end title and music just came and closed the tutorial early! I solved it, just redownload the Top-down Game Type video pack from the Epic site http://udk.com/documentation.

Its at http://download.udk.com/tutorials/us..._down_game.zip

Epic, 3D Buzz and Jeremy Ernst... Your work awes me. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by HEERO.YUY View Post
    Originally Posted by anoon View Post
    I am watching video 05_-_Kismet__005_TogglingMaterial.mp4

at 00:01:35, the viewer is instructed to add:
    New Actor-->Material Instance-->Set Vector Param

However, when attempting this, all I see is:

New Actor-->Material Instance-->Set Scalar Param

What am I doing wrong?

Ive just come across the same problem lol,dose anyone know the other way to do it? ill try myself in the mean time
    Has anyone found a work around for this yet? I've been looking but had no luck so far :-(
    I guess the "Material Instance>SetVectorParam" node has been removed in an update...

Default video 05_-_Kismet__005_TogglingMaterial.mp4 fix

I've worked out how to fix this.

instead of using "New Actor> Material Instance> Set Vector Param" which doesn't exists any more.

You need to create a new Matinee> Add New Empty Group> Add New Vector Material Param Track

Then create two key frames to animate light on/off

Plug into Kismet using the switch node as in the tutorial and set Link1> Play, Link2> Reverse.

That worked for me

Quote Originally Posted by Lord_Kristof View Post
    Hey, just a quick question in relation to the Simple Level tutorials.

I've put some stairs in my level, and I noticed that I can't actually go up them, the character just slides off them when I jump on them and doesn't walk on them. I was hoping that the Tutorial is going to tell you how to make that work, but unfortunately I either missed it, or it wasn't there. Any suggestions?
    you need to RightClick on the mesh>set collusion type>set to block all!

the vector param thing ,it doesnt work for me
    i need help.
    how do i use the assets?
    where to put them?
    Last edited by arielapp; 09-20-2010 at 12:52 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Mastur Betor

Will 3D Buzz be making any new tutorial's for the newer builds of UDK?

I can't say for sure; Epic hasn't asked us yet.

Zak Parrish
    3D Buzz, Inc.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DAOWAce PSN ID: DAOWAce

Quote Originally Posted by wolfsage View Post

instead of using "New Actor> Material Instance> Set Vector Param" which doesn't exists any more.

You need to create a new Matinee> Add New Empty Group> Add New Vector Material Param Track

Plug into Kismet using the switch node as in the tutorial and set Link1> Play, Link2> Reverse.

That worked for me :D
    I'm on the cinematic tutorial. It says I need a dynamic actor. Must have chosen the wrong thing but don't know what to choose since you didn't really specify anything. I picked the material instance but selecting the light itself still didn't work.

Quite annoyed right now. Going from a visual tutorial to trying to decipher text isn't working for me.
    Last edited by DAOWAce; 09-29-2010 at 09:25 AM.

Thanks for the excellent tutorials!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

can some one update or made add to the TopDown Game to explane how to complete the tutorial with the new ScaleForm ?
    i'm talking about TopDownGame__004_LivesCounter for example
    Last edited by MaximilianPs; 12-17-2010 at 09:53 AM.

The "UI_Scenes" is not included in the "topdown_test package", like it is in the video tutorial. Everything else is there except that - so I can't work through the top-down game tutorial - Please advise...
    Thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person

Error 16_-_TopDownGame__022_AddingBots_SpawnBots

I have the same error that everyone esle is getting, the video cuts short and I can not complete the tutorial. I redownloaded the videos a couple of times yet video 22 is still not working. If anyone can upload some screencaps of the kismet required that would be much appreciated.

Also I would like to say that these tutorials are amazing and I am truly grateful for them. Keep up the good work 3D Buzz team and thank you Epic.

-Cog

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: david

Hi, I am new to UDK and to these forums and I have a problem. I know this has been already asked, but since I am beginner I still can't do it. I am watching the 3D Buzz tutorials and at 05_-_Kismet__005_TogglingMaterial I need to do this: "New Actor> Material Instance> Set Vector Param", but it isn't here, probably it was removed in an update. I read this:
    Quote Originally Posted by wolfsage View Post

The problem is that I don't know how to animate the light on/off. Again I am beginner, I would be grateful if someone can tell my how to do it, step by step. I created 2 key frames, but what's next? I tried putting some materials in "Material", setting a Param Name, moving keys, tried also with a static mesh (that fluorescent tube) and InterpActor, but still when I turn the light on and off, nothing changes.

awesome videos thanks.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks!!!!
    Actual CEO whit Warkanlock Studios

Are these videos the same videos on the UDK main page video tutorials? cause I've downloaded them...

MSgt. Shooter Person

hi ...
    i have problem to make / Spawn enemy in the level ... i create kismet like video tutorials last chapter Top Down Game Demo but Bots not created !!! i use UDK-2011-05 ...
    please help me .... when i'm use this tutorial in UDK-2010-02 it's worked and when i open test map in UDK-2011-05 still work ...!!! i need a way to create this enemy system in UDK-2011-05 because my map build in UDK-2011-05 and i can't running in UDK-2010-02

Please Help Me ....

I've been going though the 3D Buzz tutorials and, as a beginner at UDK, I'd have to say that it has been very frustrating. There seems to be features mentioned in each video that just do no exist anymore. It's really time consuming to go searching for solutions or workarounds. I'd say it's time for these videos to be redone.

Right now I can't figure out why my point lights won't turn off like in the Top Down: Key Touch Events video. help?

NM. I was using a regular point light instead of of toggle-able light (It did say this in the vid). I think I'm just getting frustrated.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by zerd_sword View Post
    I've been going though the 3D Buzz tutorials and, as a beginner at UDK, I'd have to say that it has been very frustrating. There seems to be features mentioned in each video that just do no exist anymore. It's really time consuming to go searching for solutions or workarounds. I'd say it's time for these videos to be redone.

Right now I can't figure out why my point lights won't turn off like in the Top Down: Key Touch Events video. help?
    We at UDKLearning are in the middle of a complete revamp of these tutorials and basing them on the Latest builds. They should be done by the 1st of the year. There is allot that has to be changed, and some features that have been added that need new tutorials.

You can follow us from the link in my sig.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Chrustec

Hey zerd_sword what I recommend you do in the mean time is download an early build of the UDK, one that is relevant to the tutorials so that you can do them, once you get through them you should have no trouble moving onto the newer builds of the UDK as the principals are basically the same - Obviously the earlier tuts do not cover things like the new terrain system or the new UI system scaleform, but you can still learn a lot from those tuts.

Thanks for the suggestion Chrustec, but I just put my nose to the old grindstone and worked my way through. I learned a bunch in the process, swore a lot at the monitor, and came out the other side! Getting back into Flash after taking a 5 year hiatus was probably the suckiest part, but I've got to admit that having actionscript functionality is pretty awesome.

Can't wait for udpated tuts though. I'm sure there's more to learn.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast