MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xXTheSpaceManXx

Default A Unreal Point And Click Adventure.

I have showed this image in a different thread, it looks crap since I am not an artist. There is not that much functionality yet either. Everything works in different classes but still trying to make them get the info they need from each other. (Tracing working in one part, key press in another, and the menu state in another)

This is going to be a Point And Click adventure simular to games like DejaVu and ShadowGate to The Nes. There will be a static camera looking out over a room and you can interact with the items trough old school Point and Click actions.

I don't take responsibility for bleeding eyes.

Redeemer

Ah very cool, I grew up on Sierra/LucasArts adventure games. If you're not an artist, I'd seriously think about implementing the full dialogue/action system you got going there and sort of release it for others to use. I'm sure plenty of people would like to see such a system built for UDK (I would)!

danimal

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: markieo

Cool

This is very cool.
    Sorry for my bad English, I'm from the Netherlands.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Like MYST? or can you move around
    "I will get around to it...eventually."
    viion.co.uk

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Viion View Post
    Like MYST? or can you move around
    Myst had a more clean UI, more moving around with in a scene, mine is more planed to be like the Classic nes games like DejaVu, ShadowGate where the camera is locked in place before moving to a new room, and whatever game I release for it will probably be quite short and easy to play trough.

The project itself is more based on implementing a part for another project I am considering, where you will have Point and Click like interaction with pussles in the game world while the actuall moving and action part is done in a different style.

I just found it more rewarding to turn each part of a game idea in to separat projects, gives faster feedback if that part works. Then if everything is fine there is just the intigration between them left.

I think you mentioned you planed a myst style game in another thread, so don't worry I don't plan to steal your thunder or idea, rather working on something I have planed for some time but not found a good engine for. ^^
    Last edited by TheSpaceMan; 11-26-2009 at 03:20 PM.

Sounds like an interesting project, any up dates?

Redeemer

Yah makes me wanna go make a Sierra/Lucasarts game everytime I see this thread. Monkey Island for the win! Any updates?

danimal

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ditto! But you forgot Simon the Sourcerer 1-4 (except the 3rd that one sucks)

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Not quite yet. There are other things taking my time as well, need to do some worksamples in flash.

The main problem right now is that the ui steals all input. and i am not sure how to forward it quite yet to the scene.

I might go at this the wrong way around. Maybe I should have none of the code in the controller and do all the magic in the scene, it should be possible.
    UKD: Important Classes, Functions and Members

At some point it said click for the adventure.

Redeemer

Look/open/use/... interface sucks, that always annoyed me.
    Context sensitive cursors for the win.
    Michiel 'El Muerte' Hendriks
    Magicball Network - Little Big Adventure community
    the Unreal Admin page - Unreal server administration
    UnrealWiki - UnrealScript and UnrealEd wiki.
    UnCodeX - powerful UnrealScript tool for programmers

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

The tast differs from person to person.

The main problem is that you may have more then one context for an object.

Not to offend you but limiting the options you had about how you can interact with object really made the latest point and click generation boring, the latest sam and max episodic series for instance.

I consider two diffrent things.

One: The meny from Full Throttle, one of the best point and click games ever, right click bring up a UI where you have small cute animated icons that you select your action.
    So the use / open / select are only visible on screen when you decide to use them.

Two: By holding down the right mouse button, you get a direction sensitive "selection wheel" where each direction choose an action. This is kind a like the previous meny, the difference is that it dissapears once the mouse button is released.

By oridnary point and click law, I will use the "default object interaction" if the mouse cursor is over an object, that is, if you haven't selected an interaction the object will contain what is most resonable.

On top of that I will attach small particle systems that will only trigger and render if the current action is valid on said object.

This would speed up any kind of ingame intecation and eliminate the most extreme "guess" work. This will be necessary, since some people say that my logical thinking doesn't quite follow a the straight line people are used too.
    Last edited by TheSpaceMan; 12-12-2009 at 03:34 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Spent the day, first time in a long while going trough the code trying to fix some of the issues I been having. The problem now boils down to none working delegate functions.

To put it simple, I was planing of stealing the exec weaponfire or what ever it is called in the playercontroller, but since i have a ui on screen that will steal all the input, and the playercontroller will recieve none. That went out the window. The quickest way to solve it,would simply be to make my own, scene button, that when it gets clicked i will trigger the action i was planing. But now the onClicked onPressed etc delegates won't work. Reading old tutorials, new examples and the reference guide, as well as the source it all "should" work. It drives me insane. ^^

MSgt. Shooter Person

You could have a look at the unreal tactics code. Threre is a clickable interface which doesnt pause the game.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tMs_jfpSYjQ
    But they wrote it from sractch

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

The main problem is that i don't know how to catch the input when the delegates doesn't seem to want to work.

If i did that, it would solve a bunch of problems.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hm, can you post some code. At least me it is hard to understand your problem.

Anyway this is how delegates work for me

Code:
    var transient UIButton BtnClose;

event postinitialise()
    {
         BtnClose = UIButton->findchild etc.;
         BtnClose.OnClicked = DelegateBtnClose;

}

functino bool DelegateBtnClose(UIScreenObject EventObject, int PlayerIndex)
    {
        dosomehting;
    }

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by guineapig View Post
    Hm, can you post some code. At least me it is hard to understand your problem.

Anyway this is how delegates work for me

Code:
    var transient UIButton BtnClose;

event postinitialise()
    {
         BtnClose = UIButton->findchild etc.;
         BtnClose.OnClicked = DelegateBtnClose;

}

functino bool DelegateBtnClose(UIScreenObject EventObject, int PlayerIndex)
    {
        dosomehting;
    }
    Doh do the button var need to be transient? :S If thats the thing, I will scream.

My layout is simular, except i do a for all, of all children, and see if the button is of the PNC_ButtonClickToWorld. If it is I set the onClicked = ForwardToPlayerController

My problem was that i never entered the ForwardToPlayerController function.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ah ok, I think I got it. Within your delegated function you cannot access the playercontroller? Currently I am coding my inventory and I havent reached yet the world interaction stuff.

So excue the stupid question but isnt it possible to use simply a player references in the UIScene? By owner or assining it elsewhere?

Another idea would be, do buttons actually need a uiscene? Maybe you can implement the buttons just in your hud class? Or are there even hud elements able to receive onMouseOver info?

Or more difficult move up the hierarchy and mess around with the input stuff itself. For instance, I have all inputs in my CustomInteraction class which directs them to the playercontroller. As far as I could discover the uiscenes use their own interaction class. Maybe you could try to mess around with this.

But thats just guesses. Ill better try things out in practice

This transient thing, I picked that up somewhere else and kept it. By definition

Quote Originally Posted by http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UnrealScriptReference.html
    Says "objects belonging to this class should never be saved on disk". Only useful in conjunction with certain kinds of native classes which are non-persistent by nature, such as players or windows. This keyword is propagated to child classes; child classes can override this flag using the NotTransient keyword.
    and that seems to fit to my close button - although that "saved on disk" confuses me a bit.