Default Documentation Request: "Singleplayer Tutorial"

Hi all,

A tutorial for getting the UDK into a state for a single-player style game would be nice.

I followed this guide which was helpful from the asset side of things, but didn't give much help in the way of how to program the controller.

A small tutorial on how to make very basic "Doom" style NPCs (i.e. ones that stand still until alerted and then will shoot the player when it's in sight) would be a huge help.

Any other tips on what should be done to the environment would be great too - I think the game is currently defaulting to some sort of "Deathmatch" mode and I'm not sure what that implies.

It's not an immediate concern for me but a seperate or related tutorial on how to spawn weapons/powerups that can be picked up would certainly be a big help too.

Thanks,

-Fitz

This would be cool.
    Kernel

MSgt. Shooter Person

yup that would be super awesome... so that importing custom character, enemies, camera, player control, etc wouldnt be such a pain... lol... i must say doing all that was actually a lot easier in UNity 3d... but didnt look as cool as unreal tho... and unity community is also not all that great... and there are a lot more tutorials for UDK that UNity.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I agree with that, would be awesome!

MSgt. Shooter Person

very nice thx

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Fitzsimmons View Post
    A tutorial for getting the UDK into a state for a single-player style game would be nice.
    By single-player style, do you mean a "last man standing with game over when the player dies" a la Doom? Or something else? Single-player doesn't give much of a description.

A small tutorial on how to make very basic "Doom" style NPCs (i.e. ones that stand still until alerted and then will shoot the player when it's in sight) would be a huge help.
    The NPCs seem to have the alerting mechanics you mention built in already. I need to research how to make them stand still, so if I figure something out, I'll post.

Any other tips on what should be done to the environment would be great too - I think the game is currently defaulting to some sort of "Deathmatch" mode and I'm not sure what that implies.
    The game defaults to the Deathmatch mode from UT3. It means running around killing anything that moves with infinite respawns until a given kill count is reached.

It's not an immediate concern for me but a seperate or related tutorial on how to spawn weapons/powerups that can be picked up would certainly be a big help too.
    From a pickup point in the level? DM-Deck has a bunch of these for the built-in weapons. You can change them to use any valid weapon class (inheriting from UTWeapon maybe? I'd need to go confirm this...) via the map editor.

EDIT: I did not see the date of the original post, XD. If one of the people who posted today wants to clarify what they mean by "single player tutorial", I can still give it a shot.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 01-18-2011 at 07:28 PM.

i guess that he meant like a campaign or something

God King

That's not really hard to achieve. Just make an own GameInfo extending GameInfo or UTGame (but at the latter do you need to overwrite the score logic because this is where the deathmatch gameplay is implemented) and let the GameInfo use your own Controller, HUD and so on.
    A campaign will make much more use of Kismet than the UT-like gametypes anyway.
    Our Loop, which art in source code, hallowed be thy keyword.
    Thy condition come, thy instruction be done, in RAM as it is in cache.
    Increment us this day our daily counter,
    and forgive us our typos, as we also have forgiven our compilers.
    And lead us not to the nullpointer but deliver us from bugs.
    For thine is the API, the GUI, and the CLI while(true).
    Semicolon;
    Please don't send me questions about how to do something in the UDK via PM. That is better discussed in the forums and we only have limited PM storage.

A tutorial on howto do these things would be great indeed, however I've had some success following these video tutorials from 3dbuzz they are available on the UDN website, or by clicking this direct link http://download.udk.com/tutorials/us..._down_game.zip

Basiclly what that link is, is a set of videos explaining how you can spawn a character to control, adjust the camera, have some bots running around patrolling and shooting the player when they see him, it also explains howto create pickups (keys in this matter) but I have a feeling it shouldn't be hard to alter it so the keys are power ups.

In any way checkout those videos they are a great source, and you can leave stuff out that you do not want, in example the camera adjustments if you wish to keep your first player view, also these videos focus alot more on kismet rather than unrealscript, which makes it that much easier to follow and pickup.

Palace Guard

I have a lot on my plate right now, but I might be able to help with this.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by sidshekar View Post
    yup that would be super awesome... so that importing custom character, enemies, camera, player control, etc wouldnt be such a pain... lol... i must say doing all that was actually a lot easier in UNity 3d... but didnt look as cool as unreal tho... and unity community is also not all that great... and there are a lot more tutorials for UDK that UNity.

Yes , me too
    "doing custom character, enemies, camera, player control, etc was actually a lot easier in UNity 3d ... "

I hope UE3 can create the custom actor editor tool to custom character, enemies, camera, player control, etc , not use Uscript .
    the UDK mobile , JAZZ mini game is great improve the custom character, enemies developer , I suggest UDK can improve the custom character, enemies and game controller developer same to UDK Mobile .
    Last edited by stevenchau432; 03-19-2011 at 01:13 AM.

Veteran
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

God King

Quote Originally Posted by stevenchau432 View Post
    Yes , me too
    "doing custom character, enemies, camera, player control, etc was actually a lot easier in UNity 3d ... "

I hope UE3 can create the custom actor editor tool to custom character, enemies, camera, player control, etc , not use Uscript .
    the UDK mobile , JAZZ mini game is great improve the custom character, enemies developer , I suggest UDK can improve the custom character, enemies and game controller developer .
    Stop posting bout UNITY 3D please.. no one cares.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    oh , so great , thank you ^_^
    wait ...
    so cool ... I already download and try moment , ... I guess not yet support UDK, right ? wooo... if KODU can integration to UDK or use this concept , design some tools to create input / HUD / AI ... this is perfect. no need Uscript.
    Last edited by stevenchau432; 03-19-2011 at 01:59 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    Is the link broken... I am unable to access...

Deathless

to the OP and the original discussion: why don't you set up an UTTeamGame, and set the player on a team and the rest of the enemies on another team? this way the player will be alone vs. everyone, ala single player

The Sacrifice

Semi new to UDK and want to make a single player game ?

There is a fellow on youtube named Lexluthernumber1

Here is link to find his channel's main page;

http://www.youtube.com/user/lexluthornumber1

This dude is awesome, he has a ton of videos so you gotta dig a bit to find just what your looking for but he is up to date and ... yeah check him out he helped me with a lot in regaurds to setting up a custom game type and placing bots, ect. ect.