Question UE3 Intro Alternative

Dear Epic Games.

Is it possible that you eventually add an alternative UE3 Intro, like the one from UT3 (video), into the UDK? Depending on the game one fits better than the other.

Yours sincerely
    Mr.Yeah

MSgt. Shooter Person

yep. Nothing to it. First the movies are in .bik format. You'll need to download a bink viewer...

http://www.radgametools.com/default.htm

you can make your movies and convert them to .bik and insert them into the code where they are listed (which i don't know the location of because i haven't looked.)

but I did use the viewer to verify that it does play the movies in the UT3/UTGame folder.

Quote Originally Posted by weephun View Post
    I'd also like to know if we can change the splash screen and startup .bik
    • The current EULA does not allow changes to the splash screen or UE3 logo movie. Based on user feedback we will modify this term in a future version of the EULA allowing users to change the splash screen as they see fit. The UE3 logo video may not be replaced and must be displayed.
    Epic Games must change the EULA to allow this alternative intro, even it's form Epic Games itself and has the pretty same content.
    That's the reason why I asked them. If they add this video while changing EULA (because of the splash screens), it's not anymore a legal problem to use it.

BTW:
    I already have RAD Video Tools and UT3. I uploaded this Youtube video.
    My problem is not technical but legal.

MSgt. Shooter Person

why would you?

The Unreal technology bik file (ingame splash so to say, with the huge unreal logo), is fine with me, all pro's that use the engine display it too.

(unreal tech bik file screen)

The application starting splash screen (with the UDK logo), is more vital to be able to change, to fit the game/application, so people know they are starting the right app/game.

(udk initialization splash)

infact i don't understand why "The ball" is allowed to have a custom splash during game initialization, while we are not. what's the deal with that.

(the ball initialization splash)
    Last edited by saymoo; 11-21-2009 at 11:41 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LennardF1989

He means if he can add more videos than just the UE3 one.

Yes, you can!

Open up your DefaultEngine.ini, look for
    [FullScreenMovie]
    To make a movie show on startup, add
    +StartupMovies=YourBikNameHereWithoutBikExtension
    To make a movie skippable, add
    +SkippableMovies=YourBikNameHereWithoutBikExtensio n
    To use a movie as loadingscreen, add
    +LoadMapMovies=YourBikNameHereWithoutBikExtension
    Each of these lines can be added as much times as you want (if you want to bore your user with 10 intros, be my guest).

Note, that you NEED to have +StartupMovies=UE3_Logo in that section (else BINK will get disabled all together). Besides that, it will always be played first.

Note that when you have say, 5 StartupMovies, that you add another 6th one. That 6th one will never be played, but not adding it won't make the 5th movie play.

Lennard

Quote Originally Posted by saymoo View Post
    why would you?

The Unreal technology bik file (ingame splash so to say, with the huge unreal logo), is fine with me, all pro's that use the engine display it too.
    It's boring. The other one is more exciting.

And thanks LennardF1989. That was not my problem but now I know how to do it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks lennardF1989.

I never really thought about the legal aspects. I guess if you were putting out a commercial product you should run the new splash by Epic as a courtesy before using it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Mass Effect doesn't hae=ve an Epic splash screen. It took me a little while to realize the game was made using unreal since the older engine was notorious for pop in textures.
    Character Texturing Videos:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=735105

Portfolio (W.I.P.)
    http://overthunk.net

Banned

I'm curious. Why "The Ball" is allowed to have a custom splash screen and we aren't?

Is this mod better than our future work? They paid for a different license? Are they breaking the UDK EULA and Epic does not care?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by tyrone70 View Post
    Mass Effect doesn't hae=ve an Epic splash screen. It took me a little while to realize the game was made using unreal since the older engine was notorious for pop in textures.
    Neither does BioShock, MOH: Airborne, Saw, Frontlines ... n!

Doh, they build it using a full license ofcourse, not UDK...

God King

Quote Originally Posted by JasonX View Post
    I'm curious. Why "The Ball" is allowed to have a custom splash screen and we aren't?

Is this mod better than our future work? They paid for a different license? Are they breaking the UDK EULA and Epic does not care?
    Maybe because the "UDK" abbreviation is on the splash screen?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

That's not specifically stated in the EULA. If it is true a UDK logo is enough, I would stamp it on my splash right now.