Default Modeling to size in MAYA

I can model stuff in maya quite well but I cant figure out the scale correctly .Once i import the mesh weather its a character or a static mesh everything is like tiny .I am guessing that is because my units are different .How can i get this straitghtended out .And are the units the same in Unreal Engine 2 as Unreal Engine 3

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think the default units in U3 are 2cm. The characters are generally around 96 units high.

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you have a copy of max you can import the UT3 male and then export it out as a .obj, then you'll have an accurate character for sizing things. Also, in unreal, things are always a bit more epic in size (no pun intended) an ammo box for .50 cal rounds would be 1=1.2 to 1=1.3 units larger. Personally i would prefer a more realistic scale, but when you see the UT3 characters, you know why.

max file here

http://udn.epicgames.com/Three/UT3Mods.html

Skaarj
    East Coast, West Coast... lived everywhere

Default Actually...

Actually - the proper unit conversion for Maya is:

1 Unreal Unit (UU) = 1 Centimeter (CM)

So, assuming the UDK editor is set to a default grid size of 16, then you would set Maya accordingly:

Length and Width: 1024 units
    Grid lines every: 16 units
    Subdivisions: 1

So for every time you change your grid in the Unreal Editor, you can change your grid in Maya.
    Morgan Roberts

When I set my grid in Maya at 1024 units and I make for example a model with a length of 512 units, then I have a problem. The model and the grid are so big that I don't get to see a part of both in my perspective viewport. What do I have to change in Maya?
    Now I always have to scale my models in the Unreal Editor because I have to make a little version of it in Maya to see it and to be able to model.

Prisoner 849

In your Viewport, go to View > Select Camera. Alternatively select the Perspective Camera in the Outliner. Press ctrl+a to go to the attribute editor. Set Near Clip Plane to 10 and Far Clip Plane to like 10000 or higher if necessary. You need to have the Near Clip Plane higher than default as you get Z-depth fighting if the Far Clip Plane is too far.
    Technical Artist / Animator - InAction @ Forums.BeyondUnreal

Demoreel: Website
    TUTORIAL: Character - Maya to UDK Livestream
    CHARACTER: UDK Character / First Person Animation Rig
    SCRIPTS: Axtended Animation Manager (FBX Animation Batch Exporter) | T3D Exporter

Quote Originally Posted by Denny View Post
    In your Viewport, go to View > Select Camera. Alternatively select the Perspective Camera in the Outliner. Press ctrl+a to go to the attribute editor. Set Near Clip Plane to 10 and Far Clip Plane to like 10000 or higher if necessary. You need to have the Near Clip Plane higher than default as you get Z-depth fighting if the Far Clip Plane is too far.
    Thank you for helping me! This solution is what I needed...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Unit is unit in every 3d modeling program as in unreal so 1 maya unit is 1 unreal unit. If you want to model char of 96 unit tall than u can set your grid to 128x128 and set show grid line every 16 units and subdivisions to one.
    But i am modeling everything in default (12x12) grid size and than scale everything later. This was discussed elsewhere numerous of times.
    About proportions in unreal, chars are typical hero size meaning they follow idealistic human proportions, the total height of the human body equal eight height of the head. Plus add big muscles and armor plates and u r getting somewhat epic sizing as Katana sad already if u allready know that average human is some 7 to 7.5 heads tall. I prefer epic though amo clips and other details are a bit exaggerated.
    Enlight me please!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by nioxin View Post
    Actually - the proper unit conversion for Maya is:
    1 Unreal Unit (UU) = 1 Centimeter (CM)
    Correct, working units must be set to centimeters in Maya3D menu=> Window=>Settings/Preferences=>Preferences and under Categories=>Settings
    linear working units must be set to centimeters otherwise u will have some gigantic meshes

Sorry, i didnt thought about that in my previous post. Kinda jumping with conclusions, heh. But the point is even if u didnt set working environment before modeling everything can be scaled later in a sec.
    Last edited by DaemonXR; 02-07-2010 at 09:06 AM.
    Enlight me please!

Prisoner 849

Hmm... from what I've read on documentation and experience, 1 unreal unit is 2cm. And 1 unreal unit is 1 Maya unit. And therefore, if I set Maya unit to cm and then build to scale, everything's twice the size when I export straight to UDK. I always have to work in half scale in Maya to compensate this.
    Last edited by taz1004; 02-10-2010 at 04:13 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

U r wrong and right at same time. It is true that unreal unit is equivalent to 2cm but this is just for comparison sake with real world. This mean that char height of 96 units in unreal world is equivalent with 192 cm in real world (96uu x 2=192 real cm) but this info is not related with setting up your 3d modeling environment in Maya.

This can be easily checked.
    Set your "linear working unit" to centimeters in Maya: Window=>Settings/Preferences=>Preferences and choose "Settings" from Categories.

Create two polycubes on scene, Set one cube height to 96 units and other to 192 units (2nd one would be equivalent to statement 1 Maya unit=1 unreal unit=2cm which is wrong)! Now align cubes to be close each other and align bottoms of the cubes just on top of the grid in your front orthographic panel.
    Now combine those two cubes in one mesh, Mesh=>Combine. While cubes still selected type "axmesh" in Mel and export as .ase file. Launch UDK. Import your double cube mesh via content browser. Create new BSP in editor and drag your cubes on it. Put light on scene and player start, Build all and play in editor. When u spawn u will see what i am talking about. Top of the shorter cube (96 unit tall) will be in your sight level.
    But since picture speaks for a thousand words.......
    Here you can see UT3 character standing close to those two cubes i was talking about....

Enlight me please!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I found this to be helpful for setting up the correct scaling in Maya - specifically the last post on the page:

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/su...rect-size.html

Here's a quote from the one I found useful:

"If you want to make it easy to keep scale, set your grid in maya to set your length and width to 500, your grid lines every: to 256 and your subdivision every 16. Then every grid square is a 16 by 16 unit, so you can easily work in 1 foot increments. Also, one other thing that helps with unreal, try your best to keep things in powers of 2. So try and make your wall sections 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 units long. This helps out A LOT with grid snapping inside unreal."

So far it seems to work fine for me. I also use an example rig/character for UT3/UDK in Maya as a scale guide when making my static meshes.

Hope that helps!

-Rez

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here a video that shows you how to set up your grid units in maya to match Unreal Units.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xl5kJP02K0g

P.S. I just copied what you see below from the owner of the videos comment section.

somebody ask:
    I cant see the whole grid

And he said:
    go to perspective viewport and you'll see View-->Camera Attribute Editor --> Near Clip Plane .010
    Far Clip 100000

Prisoner 849

Quote Originally Posted by DaemonXR View Post
    U r wrong and right at same time. It is true that unreal unit is equivalent to 2cm but this is just for comparison sake with real world. This mean that char height of 96 units in unreal world is equivalent with 192 cm in real world (96uu x 2=192 real cm) but this info is not related with setting up your 3d modeling environment in Maya.

This can be easily checked.
    Set your "linear working unit" to centimeters in Maya: Window=>Settings/Preferences=>Preferences and choose "Settings" from Categories.

Create two polycubes on scene, Set one cube height to 96 units and other to 192 units (2nd one would be equivalent to statement 1 Maya unit=1 unreal unit=2cm which is wrong)! Now align cubes to be close each other and align bottoms of the cubes just on top of the grid in your front orthographic panel.
    Now combine those two cubes in one mesh, Mesh=>Combine. While cubes still selected type "axmesh" in Mel and export as .ase file. Launch UDK. Import your double cube mesh via content browser. Create new BSP in editor and drag your cubes on it. Put light on scene and player start, Build all and play in editor. When u spawn u will see what i am talking about. Top of the shorter cube (96 unit tall) will be in your sight level.
    But since picture speaks for a thousand words.......
    Here you can see UT3 character standing close to those two cubes i was talking about....
    I think you either you misunderstood me or mis-interpretation. Of course if you export 96cm box from Maya, you will get 96 unreal unit box because 1 Maya unit is 1 unreal unit. But 96cm in Maya is still... 96cm. Which is about half the size of... pretty tall human. Which is why I said I have to work in half scale in Maya to import correctly to unreal. To summarize,

1. Exporting 96cm box from Maya to Unreal will give me 96unit box. (1 Maya unit is 1 unreal unit)
    2. 96 unreal unit is 192cm which is closer to a human size. (1 unreal unit is 2cm)
    3. And therefore, a human I create in Maya needs to be 96cm which is half the size.

We're basically saying the same thing. Different way of interpretation that's all.
    Last edited by taz1004; 02-10-2010 at 07:54 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

If i misunderstood than receive my apologies. Just trying to help with info.
    But the most important thing is that we understand each other at the end
    Enlight me please!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by D-Rez View Post
    I found this to be helpful for setting up the correct scaling in Maya - specifically the last post on the page:

http://www.game-artist.net/forums/su...rect-size.html

Here's a quote from the one I found useful:

"If you want to make it easy to keep scale, set your grid in maya to set your length and width to 500, your grid lines every: to 256 and your subdivision every 16. Then every grid square is a 16 by 16 unit, so you can easily work in 1 foot increments. Also, one other thing that helps with unreal, try your best to keep things in powers of 2. So try and make your wall sections 32, 64, 128, 256, 512 units long. This helps out A LOT with grid snapping inside unreal."

So far it seems to work fine for me. I also use an example rig/character for UT3/UDK in Maya as a scale guide when making my static meshes.

Hope that helps!

-Rez
    Yeeees this is very correct when creating static meshes for level building. Always use power of two for grid snapping.
    Enlight me please!