Results 1 to 20 of 20
  1. #1
    Redeemer
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Milwaukee, WI
    Posts
    1,340
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: snoogans460

    Default It's been WAY TOO LONG...

    I'm not even sure where to begin.

    First off, it's been a long time since I last visited these UC2 / Epic Forums. In fact, (like many other UC2 fans) I never quite preferred the transition from the "old UC2 Boards" from back in the day. The current UC2 "Home" found amidst these Epic Forums is one of the reasons why I drifted away.

    After moving on in the gaming world, I still occasionally feel nostalgic for the greatness of UC2, and feel this dire need to play a few matches every so often... err, still never as much as I would like however. Honestly, this game was the ULTIMATE back in it's (and my) prime.

    It's truly a shame that even despite the technical marvel that is UC2, the game failed to sell - and thus, we never received a sequel of any sort (nor will we). Yes, it still bothers me to this very day, because like many other popular Titles, UC2 could still have a thriving online community.

    Unfortunately, the hardcore players / fans weren't enough to keep this boat afloat, and what's left are some of the greatest gaming memories of all-time. Granted, I've had some wonderful interactive experiences on both my 360 and PS3 over the past few years... but nothing, I repeat nothing will ever hold a torch to UC2.

    Of course, I could ramble endlessly about all the great memories from this game. However, I'd rather just fire-up the old Xbox instead, and re-live some of those greater times. Perhaps I might even find a few games online from time to time. If any of you guys from back in the day still visit these Boards, feel free to post a message or two.

    - Shred
    - SithLordVenom
    - Pigster
    - EZJamin

    I know there's others, but it's been so long, that my memory is kinda' fuzzy.

  2. #2
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    All Hallows Sunset
    Posts
    4,694
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: U1 849 K A

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by snoogans460 View Post
    I'm not even sure where to begin.

    First off, it's been a long time since I last visited these UC2 / Epic Forums. In fact, (like many other UC2 fans) I never quite preferred the transition from the "old UC2 Boards" from back in the day. The current UC2 "Home" found amidst these Epic Forums is one of the reasons why I drifted away.

    After moving on in the gaming world, I still occasionally feel nostalgic for the greatness of UC2, and feel this dire need to play a few matches every so often... err, still never as much as I would like however. Honestly, this game was the ULTIMATE back in it's (and my) prime.

    It's truly a shame that even despite the technical marvel that is UC2, the game failed to sell - and thus, we never received a sequel of any sort (nor will we). Yes, it still bothers me to this very day, because like many other popular Titles, UC2 could still have a thriving online community.

    Unfortunately, the hardcore players / fans weren't enough to keep this boat afloat, and what's left are some of the greatest gaming memories of all-time. Granted, I've had some wonderful interactive experiences on both my 360 and PS3 over the past few years... but nothing, I repeat nothing will ever hold a torch to UC2.
    It's even better when the 2k4 guys say their game was the height of innovation in the Unreal series. Everything new in 2k4 save the vehicles (which were concepted for UC1, but cut) came from UC1, and it was expanded on and added to in UC2...
    MAP MIXER 3.00 Final! UT ain't complete without it.
    Does any one know where the love of God goes When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
    The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay If they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.
    They might have split up or they might have capsized; They may have broke deep and took water.
    And all that remains is the faces and the names Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

  3. #3
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    Posts
    160

    Default

    I was surprised that it wasn't successful. Epic went experimental though they still nailed it and made an awesome console shooter, which is tough to do in itself, and even surpassed my high expectations for it. They even specialized the UE2 to run it and it looked incredible for an Xbox game, though it didn't manage to create practically any buzz for some reason despite its rave reviews...Still a lot of fun to play though and it was certainly my favorite Xbox game.
    BR-Amazonas v1.02 (UT3) -- Map Only (ZIP, 7Z) or Map Bundled With BR Mod (ZIP, 7Z)

    UT Unlimited
    UT99, UT2004, and UT3 Map Reviews and Character Showcasing. Submit yours!

  4. #4
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Location
    Mexico City
    Posts
    39
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Oliver Diemtar

    Default

    All hail UC2!!!! Iīm always ready to play!!! I donīt know where I read this, This game didnīt sell many copies, because few copies where made!! Does anyone know better?
    I caused the LIANDRI CONFLICT

  5. #5
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
    It's even better when the 2k4 guys say their game was the height of innovation in the Unreal series. Everything new in 2k4 save the vehicles (which were concepted for UC1, but cut) came from UC1, and it was expanded on and added to in UC2...

    UT2003 was released first. It was also intended for PC first. UC1 was an earlier build but w/e What is "so great" about UT2004 is that you can use Anubis on DM-Aqua Mortis, something you cannot do on ANY of the UC titles. Not to metion it STILL has good player counts. WAY more players than UT3. Says a lot. New server companys still start UT2004 servera to promote themselves. Also says alot. Come to the competiton. Don't run from it.

    I was still playing a LOT of UC2 up until a month or two ago. My Xbox just broke for the 2nd time and I'm over it. Screw 360. Cya for this gen Snoogs. Check the mail G.

    Hows it hangin Snoogs?
    Last edited by Skred; 11-23-2009 at 11:11 PM.

  6. #6
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    All Hallows Sunset
    Posts
    4,694
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: U1 849 K A

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FewPosts View Post
    UT2003 was released first. It was also intended for PC first. UC1 was an earlier build but w/e What is "so great" about UT2004 is that you can use Anubis on DM-Aqua Mortis, something you cannot do on ANY of the UC titles. Not to metion it STILL has good player counts. WAY more players than UT3. Says a lot. New server companys still start UT2004 servera to promote themselves. Also says alot. Come to the competiton. Don't run from it.
    ::::Incoming wall of vent::::

    Then why were all of the original screenshots and such for UC1? I recall hearing about UC1 before 2k3.
    The story as I heard it was that UC was being developed by DE as an offshoot, and Epic nabbed it to make a new UT game. Regardless, when 2k3 came out (and the reason why 2k4 was made) is because fans rejected it because of its console influence in the movement, menu, and adrenaline system, most of which is what still defines 2k4. That and vehicles that Epic itself admitted were based on Halo vehicles.

    So, we have a game where the distinguishing characteristics were originally considered consolish by the fans, and when those features are removed to make the game more like its PC originating predacessor, it's accused of being consolish. It makes no sense and results from an ignorant fanbase that doesn't actually know the history of the very games they claim to be fans of. When the addition of certain features can be called conslization, and then the removal of those features can also be called consolization, I hope you can understand my frustration with most 2k4 people. Not to mention their seemingly rabid need to insult and attack UT3 at any opportunity.

    It's the same reason I've come to hate Portal aand Valve fans. They can't seem to go without telling me why their game is "better."

    2k4 is fun in its own right. I guess it's mostly the general ignorance around it that really gets to me. People claim that 2k4 is the pinnacle of innovation in the Unreal series when they should be looking at XMP and UC2.
    They fail to recognize the sheer lack of coherency that came with 2k4 (more so than 2k3/UC that had its 5 distinct themes and separate backstory.) 2k4 offered so wide a range of gameplay, settings and character styles that it became impossible to say what UT actually was, and as a result it became nothing.
    All the different gametypes split the community into tons of little groups, and all sorts of arguments and viewpoints came up over what made UT UT.

    People couldn't even figure out where the visual style in UT3 came from, saying it originated in Gears when Unreal 2 and UC2 displayed it long before Gears came out. People claiming they couldn't see how Juggernauts could work in UT3's visual style when we'd seen them in that style already in UC2, which some of them didn't even know about.

    Because of how much they changed the game for 2k3, and their resultant concession to the outrage in making 2k4, they spread the conception among many shooter fans that UT was only a yearly roster-update style game, being milked for money, and that no significant advancements were being made. While the yearly branding imposed by Atari didn't help woth this, it is very largely a direct result of 2k4, and the opinion carried over to UT3.

    I don't really care how many poeple who can't afford better machines are still playing 2k4. I don't play online (because I don't and never have enjoyed it) so that means nothing to me.
    Seeing so-called fans of the series attack UT3 en-masse without considering a single aspect of it (indeed the very day it came out) simply because it wasn't 2k4 again (under the guise that 2k4 was the only innovative game in the series) really made me give up on most of the Unreal community. If people are really looking for new and innovative gameplay int he Unreal series, XMP and UC2 should be on the tips of their togues, or at Fking least 2k3/UC1 where the ACTUAL new elements of 2k4 came from. Constant ignorance like that just drives me batsht insane, espeically when they interrupt constructive and interesting threads to troll and ***** about UT3, usually unprovoked.

    Then I go and visit the Planet Doom forums, or the Stalker boards and see a mature, functioning community where issues can be brought to light, explained, and often, solutions are discussed, found and usually implemented. Seeing the community for Stalker, which was easily far more broken than UT3 was at launch, especially Clear Sky, pull together and create modifications and fixes for the game.
    The Unreal community, on the other hand, sat back and screamed Fail over and over, crying poor me and accused the developers of whatever they wanted.

    One Very popular issue that was repeatedly spewed out was that UT3 had less content than 2k4. The amount of ignorance involved in this issue is staggering, and yet it held weight. The extent to which 2k4, in many ways, is an anomaly in the series is completely ignored.

    I heard the same people who when 2k3 first came out repeated gameplay over graphics, absolutely condemning UT3 over the look of the menus and the color in the maps.

    Like a lot of things, I don't really have much of an issue with the thing itself, but all the people around it make it unendingly irritating. Knowing that the community easily had it within itself to promote and help UT3, if they had been actual fans of the series, but chose to focus on the flaws only (and wrongly compare it to a second-generation expansion title instead of a first-gen starter title like 2k3, in order to boost contrast in places such as bugs, content amount, modding base, etc... I actually heard someone complain that UT3 sucked because 2k4 had more mods planned and in-progress at launch than UT3 did, when 2k4 had 2k3 before it to introduce mod-makers to the tech and assets ahead of time...)

    It's just depressing to see that the community has become so split and self-centered that they'll sooner help condemn a new title to the series than try to help the franchise they claim to be fans of. The same thing happened with UC2, really. People made blind assumptions that it would "ruin Unreal's good name" and destroy UT. That it couldn't possibly be good just because it was on console, and so a good game went under-sold and under-appreciated due in part to intentional bad word of mouth for no reason at all other than what just seems like some older brother / younger brother complex.

    The fans insist on competing with each other. Any new title is attacked and destroyed. There is no need for this at all, and it only speaks to slef-centered, fair-weath fans who only like a game if it's popular, and only support a company when it does what they like.

    A little stream of counsciousness there, but that basically sums up my overall impression of 2k4. If it were just the game in and of itself it'd be one thing, but all the bullsht that comes with it, and everything it did to the community, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm tired of having it shoved down my throat, and I'm tired of being told why eveything else sucks. I'm tired of better, riskier, more interesting titles and efforts in the series getting no recognition, and I'm tired of the people who started on 2k4 telling me what UT is all about.

    You can quote playcounts to me all you want, but it doesn't matter to me at all. I care about the ignorant, self-centered fanbase that deliberately attacks and destroys the series they claim to love. We have completely different values on judging qhat is important, and I realize that my viewpoint is not that of the popular gaming crowd, but when I see what a gaming community can be, and then I watch this one tear itself apart, it bugs the crap out of me.

    Thank God we still have people like Sinx and others who actually try to better the series and try to help it instead of just spit on it because it's not what they had last time.

    Quote Originally Posted by foultzy View Post
    I was surprised that it wasn't successful. Epic went experimental though they still nailed it and made an awesome console shooter, which is tough to do in itself, and even surpassed my high expectations for it. They even specialized the UE2 to run it and it looked incredible for an Xbox game, though it didn't manage to create practically any buzz for some reason despite its rave reviews...Still a lot of fun to play though and it was certainly my favorite Xbox game.
    Due at least in part to the widespread rejection and hate it recieved even before launch because it was A: on the console, which many UT/2kx fans (being PC elitists) automatically reject, and in fact take as an insult to their chosen platform, and the very innovations that made it so good: the melee system, the adrenaline...

    Partly also it had a pretty high learning curve...

    ..........................


    I judge games based on how well they convey their intended gameplay experience, not on how popular they are. Popular games tend to be popular for a reason, yes, but as a fan of UC2 you should know that being unpopular doesn't necessarily mean anything.

    UT3 was intended as a return to UT1 that retained elements of the 2kx series, while trying to condence and focus the experience. In this way it succeded quite nicely.

    2k4 is difficult to analyze. It was intended to bring the game back to UT1. They maintained all the features from 2k3 that some fans rejected in 2k3, added a few mostly visual references to previous Unreal titles, and added a lot of new stuff that mainly served to wildly expand the look and visual style of the game, resulting in a game that felt bloated and unclear. The juxtapostion of classic UT-style characters and elements with 2k3 elements and other styles seemingly pulled from nowhere made it bizzare, making it difficult to determine if it accomplished its objective, thusly making it difficult to analyze.

    I liked 2k3, I certainly liked the wealth of content resulting from 2k4, but it was unfocused and made it extremely unclear as to what UT was. It seemed more like a mash-up of random content than a cohesive identity.
    Last edited by Shadow Dancer; 11-24-2009 at 02:42 AM.
    MAP MIXER 3.00 Final! UT ain't complete without it.
    Does any one know where the love of God goes When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
    The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay If they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.
    They might have split up or they might have capsized; They may have broke deep and took water.
    And all that remains is the faces and the names Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

  7. #7
    Iron Guard
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    661
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: P1G V3n0m

    Default

    Hey snoogs. I miss our old forum too. It's like community fell apart when they moved them. I guess it was bound to happen eventually since console games just don't last in the long run without sequels. I never have time to play anymore with my demanding deployment schedule and all, and nobody is ever on when I go on anyway.

    I recommend transformers 2 to anyone that wants sweet multiplayer shooter. I mean, it's probably not very alive since codmw2 came out, but I'm sure someone is online. I enjoyed that game immensly for a little while when I was able to play.

    Shadow dancer, great post! I agree with everything you said 100%.

  8. #8
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shadow Dancer View Post
    ::::Incoming wall of vent::::

    Then why were all of the original screenshots and such for UC1? I recall hearing about UC1 before 2k3.
    The story as I heard it was that UC was being developed by DE as an offshoot, and Epic nabbed it to make a new UT game. Regardless, when 2k3 came out (and the reason why 2k4 was made) is because fans rejected it because of its console influence in the movement, menu, and adrenaline system, most of which is what still defines 2k4. That and vehicles that Epic itself admitted were based on Halo vehicles.

    So, we have a game where the distinguishing characteristics were originally considered consolish by the fans, and when those features are removed to make the game more like its PC originating predacessor, it's accused of being consolish. It makes no sense and results from an ignorant fanbase that doesn't actually know the history of the very games they claim to be fans of. When the addition of certain features can be called conslization, and then the removal of those features can also be called consolization, I hope you can understand my frustration with most 2k4 people. Not to mention their seemingly rabid need to insult and attack UT3 at any opportunity.

    It's the same reason I've come to hate Portal aand Valve fans. They can't seem to go without telling me why their game is "better."

    2k4 is fun in its own right. I guess it's mostly the general ignorance around it that really gets to me. People claim that 2k4 is the pinnacle of innovation in the Unreal series when they should be looking at XMP and UC2.
    They fail to recognize the sheer lack of coherency that came with 2k4 (more so than 2k3/UC that had its 5 distinct themes and separate backstory.) 2k4 offered so wide a range of gameplay, settings and character styles that it became impossible to say what UT actually was, and as a result it became nothing.
    All the different gametypes split the community into tons of little groups, and all sorts of arguments and viewpoints came up over what made UT UT.

    People couldn't even figure out where the visual style in UT3 came from, saying it originated in Gears when Unreal 2 and UC2 displayed it long before Gears came out. People claiming they couldn't see how Juggernauts could work in UT3's visual style when we'd seen them in that style already in UC2, which some of them didn't even know about.

    Because of how much they changed the game for 2k3, and their resultant concession to the outrage in making 2k4, they spread the conception among many shooter fans that UT was only a yearly roster-update style game, being milked for money, and that no significant advancements were being made. While the yearly branding imposed by Atari didn't help woth this, it is very largely a direct result of 2k4, and the opinion carried over to UT3.

    I don't really care how many poeple who can't afford better machines are still playing 2k4. I don't play online (because I don't and never have enjoyed it) so that means nothing to me.
    Seeing so-called fans of the series attack UT3 en-masse without considering a single aspect of it (indeed the very day it came out) simply because it wasn't 2k4 again (under the guise that 2k4 was the only innovative game in the series) really made me give up on most of the Unreal community. If people are really looking for new and innovative gameplay int he Unreal series, XMP and UC2 should be on the tips of their togues, or at Fking least 2k3/UC1 where the ACTUAL new elements of 2k4 came from. Constant ignorance like that just drives me batsht insane, espeically when they interrupt constructive and interesting threads to troll and ***** about UT3, usually unprovoked.

    Then I go and visit the Planet Doom forums, or the Stalker boards and see a mature, functioning community where issues can be brought to light, explained, and often, solutions are discussed, found and usually implemented. Seeing the community for Stalker, which was easily far more broken than UT3 was at launch, especially Clear Sky, pull together and create modifications and fixes for the game.
    The Unreal community, on the other hand, sat back and screamed Fail over and over, crying poor me and accused the developers of whatever they wanted.

    One Very popular issue that was repeatedly spewed out was that UT3 had less content than 2k4. The amount of ignorance involved in this issue is staggering, and yet it held weight. The extent to which 2k4, in many ways, is an anomaly in the series is completely ignored.

    I heard the same people who when 2k3 first came out repeated gameplay over graphics, absolutely condemning UT3 over the look of the menus and the color in the maps.

    Like a lot of things, I don't really have much of an issue with the thing itself, but all the people around it make it unendingly irritating. Knowing that the community easily had it within itself to promote and help UT3, if they had been actual fans of the series, but chose to focus on the flaws only (and wrongly compare it to a second-generation expansion title instead of a first-gen starter title like 2k3, in order to boost contrast in places such as bugs, content amount, modding base, etc... I actually heard someone complain that UT3 sucked because 2k4 had more mods planned and in-progress at launch than UT3 did, when 2k4 had 2k3 before it to introduce mod-makers to the tech and assets ahead of time...)

    It's just depressing to see that the community has become so split and self-centered that they'll sooner help condemn a new title to the series than try to help the franchise they claim to be fans of. The same thing happened with UC2, really. People made blind assumptions that it would "ruin Unreal's good name" and destroy UT. That it couldn't possibly be good just because it was on console, and so a good game went under-sold and under-appreciated due in part to intentional bad word of mouth for no reason at all other than what just seems like some older brother / younger brother complex.

    The fans insist on competing with each other. Any new title is attacked and destroyed. There is no need for this at all, and it only speaks to slef-centered, fair-weath fans who only like a game if it's popular, and only support a company when it does what they like.

    A little stream of counsciousness there, but that basically sums up my overall impression of 2k4. If it were just the game in and of itself it'd be one thing, but all the bullsht that comes with it, and everything it did to the community, leaves a very bad taste in my mouth. I'm tired of having it shoved down my throat, and I'm tired of being told why eveything else sucks. I'm tired of better, riskier, more interesting titles and efforts in the series getting no recognition, and I'm tired of the people who started on 2k4 telling me what UT is all about.

    You can quote playcounts to me all you want, but it doesn't matter to me at all. I care about the ignorant, self-centered fanbase that deliberately attacks and destroys the series they claim to love. We have completely different values on judging qhat is important, and I realize that my viewpoint is not that of the popular gaming crowd, but when I see what a gaming community can be, and then I watch this one tear itself apart, it bugs the crap out of me.

    Thank God we still have people like Sinx and others who actually try to better the series and try to help it instead of just spit on it because it's not what they had last time.



    Due at least in part to the widespread rejection and hate it recieved even before launch because it was A: on the console, which many UT/2kx fans (being PC elitists) automatically reject, and in fact take as an insult to their chosen platform, and the very innovations that made it so good: the melee system, the adrenaline...

    Partly also it had a pretty high learning curve...

    ..........................


    I judge games based on how well they convey their intended gameplay experience, not on how popular they are. Popular games tend to be popular for a reason, yes, but as a fan of UC2 you should know that being unpopular doesn't necessarily mean anything.

    UT3 was intended as a return to UT1 that retained elements of the 2kx series, while trying to condence and focus the experience. In this way it succeded quite nicely.

    2k4 is difficult to analyze. It was intended to bring the game back to UT1. They maintained all the features from 2k3 that some fans rejected in 2k3, added a few mostly visual references to previous Unreal titles, and added a lot of new stuff that mainly served to wildly expand the look and visual style of the game, resulting in a game that felt bloated and unclear. The juxtapostion of classic UT-style characters and elements with 2k3 elements and other styles seemingly pulled from nowhere made it bizzare, making it difficult to determine if it accomplished its objective, thusly making it difficult to analyze.

    I liked 2k3, I certainly liked the wealth of content resulting from 2k4, but it was unfocused and made it extremely unclear as to what UT was. It seemed more like a mash-up of random content than a cohesive identity.
    You are partially correct. UC1 was indeed built first. It was not released first. It was released after 2003 and it is also a later build of the game. The UC1 build is like the 927 build or something like that. 2k4 is on buld 3369 now. Each build marks refinement of the game etc etc.

    It's pretty simple. They tried to make "UT2" and experimented around a bit. UT2004 is the result. It plays almost like UC when you look at dodge dsitance etc. You'll find that UT2004 plays very differently than UT2003 and it's not all that far from UC1. There is even the species statictics out there to use a la UC1.

    If you want your unreal it's out there, jyou just gotta come play. It's a great game and still goin strong.

  9. #9
    Marrow Fiend
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    All Hallows Sunset
    Posts
    4,694
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: U1 849 K A

    Default

    2kx is not my unreal.

    The 2k4 I play has a laundry list of mutators and adjustments to make it fun for me, and it's still missing a lot. UC2 is fun, UT3 is fun, and both can be played offline vs. bots the way I preferr to play, anyway. I have nothing waiting for me and I don't need to find anything. Your insistance otherwise is becoming very arrogant and annoying (which is a similarity between the two of us, i suppose.)

    Unreal Tournament 2003 began development as a PC port of the then existing Unreal Championship code for the original Xbox named Unreal Tournament 2.
    -Liandri Archives, BU.

    UC1 was built first (to an extent,) so that just means the concepts and gameplay features originated in UC1 first. Even Invasion originated in 2k3. 2k4 has no claim to developing any of them and never will. 2k4 is a bloated apology to the original UT fanbase for the changes made in 2k3.

    2k3 came out first because it was rushed. Missing animations, a weaker story progression, (missing the tutorial section, and the ending cutscene, shoving in a rushed trophy moment instead) a species mutator that was broken for the nightmare instead of a fully integrated species class system and character specialties system... UC1 is ultimately more polished than 2k3, so 2k3 coming out first doesn't mean much.
    Last edited by Shadow Dancer; 12-01-2009 at 01:22 AM.
    MAP MIXER 3.00 Final! UT ain't complete without it.
    Does any one know where the love of God goes When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
    The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay If they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.
    They might have split up or they might have capsized; They may have broke deep and took water.
    And all that remains is the faces and the names Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

  10. #10
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    The 2k4 I play has a laundry list of mutators and adjustments to make it fun for me, and it's still missing a lot. UC2 is fun, UT3 is fun, and both can be played offline vs. bots the way I preferr to play, anyway.
    UT2004 can be played offline as well

    Whatever floats your boat brotha.

    I dont play offline with bots so player counts and game population matter to me. If I was merely playing bots I'd probably agree with you, but that's apples and oranges.

    I play my 2k4 instant action (offline) with UC2 characters, UC2 and UC1 maps, Species stats that are FIXED (not stock mutator-yes nights work..gotta stay CURRENT). I also found a 3rd person mutator that is great. NOt that old stuff from two or so years ago. Emrald has done some nice work in that area....but that's offline.

    Playing DM-Aqua-Mortis as Apophis and it feels alot like UC1, only with much better graphics makes me biased...I'm sorry. I'll never understand you like UC2 and UT3 but not 2k4. That is very non typical. UT3 sux so bad. That game is all spam and zero zero skill.

    Choices are simple for UT players:

    Go play noobs in UT3
    dont play UT
    come play skilled veterans on 2k4.


    That simple.

    Or play bots.
    Last edited by Skred; 12-01-2009 at 11:47 PM.

  11. #11
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    346
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SithLordVenom

    Default

    Let me just get this one out the way. Shadow i agree with you 90%. The only part I disagree with you is the style. UT3 looks way more identical to gears of war then uc2. TBH I don't think any ut looks like uc2...ok I will give you gun looks, but they almost all look the same. You wouldn't know you had a shock rifle in your hand without the long shaft with electricty running through it. Or you wouldn't know you had a rocket launcher if it didn't have the 3 barrels.

    Anyways, I don't know why, but I still have some hope in uc3. Until bliz says they won't do it, then I will give up. I do miss playing online, but I haven't stopped playing. I met up with some people that use to play this game, so we have lan parties with this game being one we play.

    My 360 is kinda broke. It will not read the disc every time. And if a game is scratched up too much it won't play it at all, even though it would have played it if the drive wasn't broken. I been meaning to get it fixed. but tbh, there is nothing really worth getting these days. My favorite games on xbox were uc2, advent rising (for the story. and i hate you majestic for not finishing the trilogy), and ninja gaiden. I really haven't found a multiplier game that I enjoy. COD is ok, but tbh i loved batlefield 2 way more.

    Anyways there is no game that caught my attention as much as these. And know i see myself more on ps3 and my pc. You can catch me in borderlands on the pc, and sometimes ut3 on the ps3. But my gaming time has been significantly reduced.

    Lastly, epic I hope you still do plan on making uc3. It will be more of a surprise to me now then a "yeah i knew that already" kinda thing. So I am not waiting.
    Antec 900 | Asus P5K64-WS Mobo | ABS Tangan BZ Series 900W | Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz | Arctic Freezer 2 |2GB DDR3 Corsair @1066 | Diamond ATI 4870 | 3x 250GB Seagate Sata HDD | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | Windows Vista, XP, and Ubuntu Linux

  12. #12
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SythVenom View Post
    Let me just get this one out the way. Shadow i agree with you 90%. The only part I disagree with you is the style. UT3 looks way more identical to gears of war then uc2. TBH I don't think any ut looks like uc2...ok I will give you gun looks, but they almost all look the same. You wouldn't know you had a shock rifle in your hand without the long shaft with electricty running through it. Or you wouldn't know you had a rocket launcher if it didn't have the 3 barrels.

    Anyways, I don't know why, but I still have some hope in uc3. Until bliz says they won't do it, then I will give up. I do miss playing online, but I haven't stopped playing. I met up with some people that use to play this game, so we have lan parties with this game being one we play.

    My 360 is kinda broke. It will not read the disc every time. And if a game is scratched up too much it won't play it at all, even though it would have played it if the drive wasn't broken. I been meaning to get it fixed. but tbh, there is nothing really worth getting these days. My favorite games on xbox were uc2, advent rising (for the story. and i hate you majestic for not finishing the trilogy), and ninja gaiden. I really haven't found a multiplier game that I enjoy. COD is ok, but tbh i loved batlefield 2 way more.

    Anyways there is no game that caught my attention as much as these. And know i see myself more on ps3 and my pc. You can catch me in borderlands on the pc, and sometimes ut3 on the ps3. But my gaming time has been significantly reduced.

    Lastly, epic I hope you still do plan on making uc3. It will be more of a surprise to me now then a "yeah i knew that already" kinda thing. So I am not waiting.
    UC2 totally had the best look and feel overall from an artistic standpoint IMO. UT3's weapons look pretty sharp, but it stops there. The whole gears look is just icky poo for Unreal. I much prefer the athletic style of the UC and 2kx series.

  13. #13
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    Another one of my UC2 remakes here:
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthre...9#post27038399
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

  14. #14
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Sep 2006
    Location
    Chicago
    Posts
    346
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: SithLordVenom

    Default

    wow i said bliz. oops. i meant epic. and fewposts, uc2 does look ok but with your comment you most have not played ut3 on pc. even on console ut3 looks better. but hey you can have your oppinion. though it looks like gears it is much more polished style wise. i a a big fan of uc3, but i cant shield the fact that ut3 looks 20 times better then uc2. too bad ut3 sucks though.
    Antec 900 | Asus P5K64-WS Mobo | ABS Tangan BZ Series 900W | Intel Q6600 @ 2.4Ghz | Arctic Freezer 2 |2GB DDR3 Corsair @1066 | Diamond ATI 4870 | 3x 250GB Seagate Sata HDD | Sound Blaster Audigy 2 | Windows Vista, XP, and Ubuntu Linux

  15. #15
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    No... there is no denying that it looks good graphically. I just prefer the art syle of UC2. Were UC2 on UE3...oh man What I meant is I like the art style of UC2 more. All games start with good concept art, and UC2 totally had the best by far, in my opinion. Other may disagree, just what I liked. That's all I mean. UT3 has the graphics for sure...lol..how could it not.

    I'd love to see another Unreal title on UE3 that is close to the UT style we all like.
    Last edited by Skred; 01-18-2010 at 10:58 AM.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

  16. #16
    Palace Guard
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Posts
    3,110

    Default

    I say Unreal Tournament 1999, has the UC series and UT2k4 beat in terms of re playability and long lasting community.
    It’s like “Hee haw” with lasers

  17. #17
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    (at this point in time)

    UT99 -still remarkably strong population, although SMALL, for such and OLD game
    UC1- Died within 2 years, mostly due to the fact it was a LAG BOMB. Fun game
    UT2003- meh we wont go there, bout like UC1
    UT2004- to this point the PINNACLE of the franchise. Still more players than most modern FPS games and it's picking up MORE steam again. It's in a huge revival state right now that it really doesnt need due to the lack of intrest in UT3, and people DO want to play Unreal, just not that UT3 crud. The player counts keep goign up steadily recently and it has never had a lack of servers to play on. I play on full servers EVERY night. There are a bevy of them to choose from. Mappers still mapping, bouns packs on the way for UT2004....long lasting..I say 6 years is LONG for a video game. Ut99 only has 4 years on it
    UC2-Great game, great art design, very fun, but was a console game and was too close to Halo2 in release and got IGNORED and sold poorly, even though it's one of the most unique and well thought out games EVER made. It's very fun and I've seen a few PC guys give it chance against their instincts, and they ended up liking it, but they are few.
    UT3- It has good graphics...I'll stop there cause that's about the only thing positive I can say about it in truth.

    Of course UT99 started it all, but UT2004...not 2003, PERFECTED the formula. Then that perfection (nearly anyway) was thrown in the trash for a more "UT99" like game we know as UT3. They say it's a hybrid, but it's not...all it shares in common with 2k4 is vehicle gametypes and the double jump, other than that...it's a bad version of UT99 with fresh paint.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

  18. #18
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    25
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Salvi Prophet

    Default

    nope to many botters in 2k4 . id rather play ut3 on my xbox360 or pc. ut99 is still good game that takes real skill and doesn't have the unreal amount of cheaters that 2k4 has. barely anyone plays uc2 but me and some friends still do
    Last edited by salvi prophet; 02-06-2010 at 01:52 AM.

  19. #19
    Boomshot
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Location
    U.S.A, Atlanta GA
    Posts
    2,095

    Default

    If you play demo servers (rankin only), yes your going to run into a lot of cheaters.
    -Smart bombs, position guided armaments; a more sophisticated way to end up dead
    -On this day, I decide to anoint my fists; engaging them in the mode of power and war
    wut?

  20. #20
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    281

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FewPosts View Post
    If you play demo servers (rankin only), yes your going to run into a lot of cheaters.
    lol rankin.
    Its Thinking.


 

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright ©2009-2011 Epic Games, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search vBulletin skin by CompletevB.com.