Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: UDK for Linux

Question UDK for Linux

I have one qst... When do you release linux versin UDK? Will it be released?

Skaarj

Am also interested in Linux support. But they haven't released the source code so binary distribution will be hard across multiple distros.

Considering there is no Linux version of UE3.. I don't think they will make a UDK for Linux.

Skaarj

I thought UE3 did have Linux support. Source: http://www.devmaster.net/engines/eng...ails.php?id=25

I would like to see this myself, I'm currently working on an open source project that is designed for windows and linux, and if UDK were to go linux supported, it may become easy to justify using UDK for developing it (not quite as open source, however still possible to use).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    Am also interested in Linux support. But they haven't released the source code so binary distribution will be hard across multiple distros.
    Binary is easier to deploy then source versions. Since during compiling you need dependencies (libs sources), which is more difficult, then a precompiled (with included .so files). And all distributions can run it.
    But, since this is proprietary software, the source release is not possible.

Look at for instance Maya for Linux, it's binary only too, and installs perfectly on every distribution. (other examples are: VMware, Skype)

The only difficult part would be packaging the release for every distro's own package format (.deb for ubuntu is different then that of debian).
    But that can be solved by using "SELF" for the installer, or a crossplatform installation tool.
    Last edited by saymoo; 11-19-2009 at 03:46 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by baron View Post
    I thought UE3 did have Linux support. Source: http://www.devmaster.net/engines/eng...ails.php?id=25
    Looking at the Official website for UE3 shows it only runs on PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. I'm inclined to believe that.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/feat...ology-overview

Skaarj

from that website:
    Unreal Engine 2 supports DirectX8 and OpenGL on PC, Mac, Linux, Xbox, and PS2
    so maybe Linux was just supported for version 2...

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by JBrandonS View Post
    Looking at the Official website for UE3 shows it only runs on PC, Xbox 360 and Playstation 3. I'm inclined to believe that.

http://www.unrealtechnology.com/feat...ology-overview
    So, it doesn't run on MS Windows either?
    Michiel 'El Muerte' Hendriks
    Magicball Network - Little Big Adventure community
    the Unreal Admin page - Unreal server administration
    UnrealWiki - UnrealScript and UnrealEd wiki.
    UnCodeX - powerful UnrealScript tool for programmers

Quote Originally Posted by elmuerte View Post
    So, it doesn't run on MS Windows either?
    PC = Windows. But then I get the feeling your just trolling.

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by saymoo View Post
    Binary is easier to deploy then source versions. Since during compiling you need dependencies (libs sources), which is more difficult, then a precompiled (with included .so files). And all distributions can run it.
    But, since this is proprietary software, the source release is not possible.

Look at for instance Maya for Linux, it's binary only too, and installs perfectly on every distribution. (other examples are: VMware, Skype)

The only difficult part would be packaging the release for every distro's own package format (.deb for ubuntu is different then that of debian).
    But that can be solved by using "SELF" for the installer, or a crossplatform installation tool.
    yeah I guess you're right - I have never had problems installing VMWare. I've used NSIS in the past for Windows - does a cross platform installer exist?

Cool

The UDK does work in linux, but you have to know what you are doing ... I mean R E A L L Y know what you are doing in linux.

First you have to get the bleeding edge version of 'wine'. I believe it is 1.1.33, I didn't try it with the stable 1.0.1 version of wine because I had issues with shaders on that version of wine.

Next you need to install DirectX 9.0c and DirectX 10 (XP hacked version) if you want DX10 support.

Last, install UDK using wine.

Run UDK, happy building. It's buggy ... but so is the windows version.

I currently use wine 1.1.33 with DX9.0c and DX10 on Ubuntu 'Jaunty' and 'Karmic' to run Everquest 2 and Assassins Creed. They both run beautifully with full shaders at 1680x1050 on an 8800 GTX.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by chayfo View Post
    The UDK does work in linux, but you have to know what you are doing ... I mean R E A L L Y know what you are doing in linux.

First you have to get the bleeding edge version of 'wine'. I believe it is 1.1.33, I didn't try it with the stable 1.0.1 version of wine because I had issues with shaders on that version of wine.

Next you need to install DirectX 9.0c and DirectX 10 (XP hacked version) if you want DX10 support.

Last, install UDK using wine.

Run UDK, happy building. It's buggy ... but so is the windows version.

I currently use wine 1.1.33 with DX9.0c and DX10 on Ubuntu 'Jaunty' and 'Karmic' to run Everquest 2 and Assassins Creed. They both run beautifully with full shaders at 1680x1050 on an 8800 GTX.
    Yes, but this thread is about a native linux udk version. Not a windows version running on Linux (through wine).

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by chayfo View Post
    No offence, but have you tried to run UDK using your own "manual"? Installing DirectX into modern version of wine is like a lethal dose of vaccine - if it won't work, it will kill it. Wined3d libraries work much different from native directx libraries and now level of wine directx support is much better than support using windows libraries, except helper libs.

Also, just installing DirectX9 does nothing - libraries need to be set up via winecfg. And do you really believe in DX10 for windows XP?

Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    No offence, but have you tried to run UDK using your own "manual"? Installing DirectX into modern version of wine is like a lethal dose of vaccine - if it won't work, it will kill it. Wined3d libraries work much different from native directx libraries and now level of wine directx support is much better than support using windows libraries, except helper libs.

Also, just installing DirectX9 does nothing - libraries need to be set up via winecfg. And do you really believe in DX10 for windows XP?
    No offense taken. It's going to take a lot more than a posting on a forum to get me upset. To answer your question, yes I have. Hence running Everquest 2 in DirectX 9.0c and Assassins Creed running in DirectX 10 ... and yes, I run UDK as well in linux.

Like I said in my original post, you REALLY need to know what you are doing in linux. I know installing DirectX9 doesn't automagically make it work, I know you have to edit winecfg, my post was just a brief synopsis, not a step-by-step walkthrough for noobs. The internet has enough walkthroughs already for getting DX9.0c to work in linux, google it if you want instructions. DX9.0c and DX10 are running stable for me. The fact is people have been running DirectX 9 games on Ubuntu since 'gutsy' and 'hardy', maybe even earlier releases. Check out the plethora of videos on YouTube.

I just wanted to point out that you can run the UDK using Wine in linux ... as far as a linux binary version of UDK ... keep on dreaming.

What do you mean "Do I really believe in DX10 for XP?". I run Windows Vista 64-bit Ultimate and Windows 7 64-bit ultimate, there is no need for me to even attempt to run DX10 on XP. Most of the time it won't work in XP because the game detects the OS first and then decides if it can use DX10. I haven't used XP since just before Vista was released to public. My point was I used the DX10 hacked installer for XP to install DX10 on Ubuntu.

Playstation 3 as for today is Linux. So UE3 must support Linux natively. I guess...

MSgt. Shooter Person

UE3 supports Linux, the reason we don't have access to it is that they simply decided not to, just like we don't have access to x64 builds.

I hope that they will reconsider this and fully support the PC (like PhysX is now, v2.8.3 supports Win/Linux x86/x64) and not go the corporate way.

The corporate way is to cash in for every single chunk of code that they provide. Unreal Engine 3 is successful enough for them to need to provide their engine at "low cost" or even free for non-commercial. They don't need to do that. Of course they are taking an excellent chance of new profits with this move, but they don't need it.

I think that we must be thankful for the awesome oportunity that they are bringing us instead of trying to complaint for every single decission that doesn't fit our particular needs (because there are a lot of kinds of machines out there and specs to take care of). No ofense spooky_paul, it's nothing about you . It's just that it's practically impossible to support every single pc and operating system in the world. They have done enough effort already going the "easy" way that is to support the most extended OS, and if in the near future this move is also productive for them, then they will invest more resources to give more support. That's my opinion.

Regards

Quote Originally Posted by spooky_paul View Post
    UE3 supports Linux, the reason we don't have access to it is that they simply decided not to, just like we don't have access to x64 builds.

I hope that they will reconsider this and fully support the PC (like PhysX is now, v2.8.3 supports Win/Linux x86/x64) and not go the corporate way.
    Well the official licensing website, along with wikipedia and several other sites, shows that they only support the PC (for computers), which is to say they only support windows. It also states that it uses Direct X, which is not available on any computer platform besides windows. I am not aware of a single Linux or OS X game built on UE3, if such a game exist it is most likely a custom port. As another point of fact neither UT3 or GOW2 supports OS X or Linux, if they took the time to port their engine to these platforms it makes no sense to exclude them when selling a game.
    Last edited by JBrandonS; 11-23-2009 at 04:36 PM. Reason: Spelling

Quote Originally Posted by DiegoBM View Post
    Playstation 3 as for today is Linux. So UE3 must support Linux natively. I guess...
    Older versions of the PS3 have the ability to run Linux, like almost every thing out there. However to say that the PS3's native OS is Linux is extremely ludicrous.

Well the official licensing website, along with wikipedia and several other sites, shows that they only support the PC (for computers), which is to say they only support windows. It also states that it uses Direct X, which is not available on any computer platform besides windows. I am not aware of a single Linux or OS X game built on UE3, if such a game exist it is most likely a custom port. As another point of fact neither UT3 or GOW2 supports OS X or Linux, if they took the time to port their engine to these platforms it makes no sense to exclude them when selling a game.
    PS3 games runs upon Linux, and there is no need to say that PS3 doen't and won't support Direct X. But UE3 definitely exists on Linux. Maybe the point is that is not really easy to sepparate the elements os UE3 that constitute UDK (remember that UDK is not "exactly" UE3), I mean binary side from source. Or maybe it's just a matter of libraries. There is a vast amount of linux distros to run on. Who knows. The point is to get into work with the resources we currently have. I guess that there is always a price to pay... for example if you want to make iPhone games you must buy a mac... Well you actally need a Windows machine (or virtual machine) to create games for UDK. But I bet that there will be a Linux version in the future

MSgt. Shooter Person

Don't get me wrong, I am psyched and I do appreciate the opportunity we are presented and that tinkering with UE for the masses is better supported, I am only emphasizing why we don't have access to those builds.

I believe that the "corporate way" is more detailed than "cash for every bit of product", being composed of complicated and delicate market maneuvers. Add to that the low interest in the end user and you've got yourself the "corporate way".

It's not asking for every platform that the engine supports, its asking for the PC only. As most of the market is now on consoles I find releasing the UDK for Linux still suiting the interests that brought the UDK in the first place.

I am not sure how supporting Linux will affect costs, but if they have a sole code-base it wont be that of a difference.
    Last edited by spooky_paul; 11-23-2009 at 04:50 PM.

Well of course it's more complicated than what I said, but you now what I'm trying to say ^_^.
    I don't think that they are specifically trying to bother a certain market such as Linux, this along with the "good intentions" shown providing this UDk version is why I think that to create a Linux version must be more than meets the eye. Who knows...

MSgt. Shooter Person

It can't support only DirectX. We have Bioshock on the PS3, and the PS3 devkit is based on a special breed of opengl.

Choosing the platforms to release to is not as "support everything we've got". There are a lot of market intrests regarding units sold, piracy on the given platform, support costs, so on and so forth.

And from what I know Microsoft Game Studios is the publisher for GoW. C'mon, would they support Linux? :P
    Last edited by spooky_paul; 11-23-2009 at 05:10 PM. Reason: remembered about gow

Quote Originally Posted by spooky_paul View Post
    It can't support only DirectX. We have Bioshock on the PS3, and the PS3 devkit is based on a special breed of opengl.

Choosing the platforms to release to is not as "support everything we've got". There are a lot of market intrests regarding units sold, piracy on the given platform, support costs, so on and so forth.

And from what I know Microsoft Game Studios is the publisher for GoW. C'mon, would they support Linux? :P
    xDDD good point indeed, but do you really think that Microsoft is behind this? Even though GoW was published by MGS, the UE3 is completely a property of Epic. Now you made me wonder... xDDD

I have just thought that even though the engine itself has been ported to PS3, that doesn't mean that the development tools have also been ported... Maybe all the development studios behind UT3 tittles made their work in windows. If you think about it all those maps, scripts and config files created with the development tools are just intermediate files processed by the binary engine (a bunch of dynamic libraries along with a executable). What I mean is that maybe there exist a raw binary version of the engine for Linux but just the Windows version of the development environment. Just another option?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmm, this could be it. Not the full UDK ported to Linux, but only the executable we run the game with to be recompiled for Linux! This way the development still takes place on Win, but the games can run on Linux.

If that's it, I guess it should be coming... Waiting is our only choice anyway ^_^U

MSgt. Shooter Person

Waiting will get us nowhere. Getting people, allot of people, interested and psyched about this might draw the boys upstairs' attention.

Its like with any feature for any software: I will be done if it will be needed. Not by the few, but the many.

MSgt. Shooter Person

The PS3 isn't a linux operating system natively. And also you don't need a mac to make iphone games either. Unity is an engine which will let you publish straight to pc,mac,iphone or wii without any troubles. And I use my PC to publish to all these formats never had to use a mac for it. As for non games the iphone uses cocoa for scripting so you still don't need a mac to be able to write that

Skaarj

It also states that it uses Direct X, which is not available on any computer platform besides windows
    PS3 does not support DX, though it support embed OpenGL
    As another point of fact neither UT3 or GOW2 supports OS X or Linux
    Fact 1: UT3 is ported on OS X and Linux ( http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/fi...ate=2008-09-18 )

Fact 2: We don't have access to any information about Linux/Mac port for no reason. Ryan keeps working, but not over UT3 port.

Quote Originally Posted by zoltanjr View Post
    The PS3 isn't a linux operating system natively. And also you don't need a mac to make iphone games either. Unity is an engine which will let you publish straight to pc,mac,iphone or wii without any troubles. And I use my PC to publish to all these formats never had to use a mac for it. As for non games the iphone uses cocoa for scripting so you still don't need a mac to be able to write that
    As stated in Unity's webpage (I have never used Unity to make iphone games):

In order to license and use Unity iPhone Publishing, developers must meet the following requirements:

* You must be an approved Apple Developer for the iPhone and install the iPhone SDK (requires Intel-based Mac running OSX 10.5.4 or later)
    Besides I've been playing with iphone/ipod touch programming quite a bit and you definitely will need iPhone SDK and Cocoa (and therefore a Mac running OSX) in order to play with iPhone's multitouch events, user interfaces and so on (btw Cocoa is not used for scripting. Cocoa is the top level framework that gives you access to most of the iPhone OS's services)
    Last edited by DiegoBM; 11-25-2009 at 09:50 PM. Reason: forgot about cocoa

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Please!!! Linux

WOULD LOVE LINUX SUPPORT

even if its only a few major distros,

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE!!!!!

Linux support would be nice. I'm not asking for source code in anyway, i just would like to have the option to use UDK under linux.

yeah, i think UDK for linux would be great for community to create better game that run in linux. i'll wait that

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'd also like a linux version, I mean we were promised UT3 for linux and never got it......

On the subject of wine, how did people manage to get the UDK to work under it? I mean it relies on .NET 3.5 which is rated as "garbage" on the wineHQ appdb page.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

there will be an official port of both GOW and UT3 for mac: http://www.destineerstudios.com/dest...s/ut3_mac.html
    epic announced it too somewhere...

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by robin1232 View Post
    there will be an official port of both GOW and UT3 for mac: http://www.destineerstudios.com/dest...s/ut3_mac.html
    epic announced it too somewhere...
    This is ancient, ergo not reliable

MSgt. Shooter Person

i am still about the forums and actively using the udk since the first month of release.

i would very much like to see a linux port or atlest an osx port.

it is one of the big reasons my team my be moving away from the udk for future titles

you might be able to run the udk in WINE

MSgt. Shooter Person

wine and udk is a big fail, and not of interrest too.

native linux blobs are needed, not through layers (wine) etc.. since not everyone want wine on their linux machines (security comes to mind) and also it's not easy for most users to install a game made udk, to install if you need to first do this, then that procedure.
    native is way easier, and more reliable (each wine version changes some stuff, and breaks something along the way)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast