Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: UDK for Linux

Veteran

No, there's a Linux Server installation, but not a playable game.
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Blade[UG] View Post
    No, there's a Linux Server installation, but not a playable game.
    Oh. Thought it was also for linux.
    "The right to play god...is now mine"
    ~Albert Wesker

PureUT3Mods: Volume 1 - Mutator Pack:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=723693

Default Ubuntu - requirements

[QUOTE=chayfo;26991235]The UDK does work in linux, but you have to know what you are doing ... I mean R E A L L Y know what you are doing in linux.

First you have to get the bleeding edge version of 'wine'. I believe it is 1.1.33, I didn't try it with the stable 1.0.1 version of wine because I had issues with shaders on that version of wine.

Next you need to install DirectX 9.0c and DirectX 10 (XP hacked version) if you want DX10 support.

_

With Wine, how to get around the Visual Studio and Dot Net FX setup not setting up?

Is there a straight forward tutorial for UDK under Ubuntu?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

With Wine, how to get around the Visual Studio and Dot Net FX setup not setting up?

Is there a straight forward tutorial for UDK under Ubuntu?
    It's not possible, he was just talking bull**** when he said that.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I find this unlikely. Linux, though many love it, just isn't the primary OS for many people. There market share is to small, and even companies like CCP are dropping support for it instead of adding it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheAgent View Post
    just get windows
    To me that's not the point. I have a Windows PC, but I also have a pretty kickin' linux computer, which is much "lighter" than Windows. I can't say that I'd do any real developing on Linux, but I would personally like linux Swarm support so that I could still use it for a render farm.
    See my tutorials here: Organization is the key to success in any endeavor

mewithoutYou: The potato called from underground, "You've got it all turned upside down!"

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TheAgent View Post
    just get windows
    Don't use the OS you like, just do what everyone else does because everyone else does it.
    Yep, makes sense. We will really see healthy competition between Operating Systems if everyone thinks like that.

Quote Originally Posted by robin1232 View Post
    Don't use the OS you like, just do what everyone else does because everyone else does it.
    Yep, makes sense. We will really see healthy competition between Operating Systems if everyone thinks like that.
    The point is that you have to accept when certain programs are developed for certain OSes you have to use them. You can whine about a PS3 or a DS or a Wii game not running on Windows / Unix / Apple but you have to ACCEPT it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Epic builds UDK to serve their customers and make money. Their customers use Windows (and probably at some point in the future, Mac OS). It is not in their interest to bolster "healthy competition between Operating Systems". They make games, not idealistic diatribes.

That said, I'd love to see dedicated server support on Linux, since a lot of hosting companies don't support Windows. Dedicated servers are headless, and iOS is (on some level) Unix, so I don't think this would be entirely unreasonable (at least, not nearly as much as getting the full game running on Linux would be).

EDIT: Where is the UDK Linux dedicated server? All I can find are downloads for the UT3 dedicated server.
    Last edited by Wildebeest; 03-12-2011 at 04:55 PM.

Veteran

wildebeest:

wine udk server mapname -nullrhi
    http://www.ericbla.de http://www.dungeondefenders.com http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warm_Gun http://www.rekoil.com http://www.groundbranch.com

- Please don't send me private messages asking programming questions, those would be better asked on the Programming forum here. Thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Wildebeest View Post
    Epic builds UDK to serve their customers and make money. Their customers use Windows (and probably at some point in the future, Mac OS). It is not in their interest to bolster "healthy competition between Operating Systems". They make games, not idealistic diatribes.

That said, I'd love to see dedicated server support on Linux, since a lot of hosting companies don't support Windows. Dedicated servers are headless, and iOS is (on some level) Unix, so I don't think this would be entirely unreasonable (at least, not nearly as much as getting the full game running on Linux would be).

EDIT: Where is the UDK Linux dedicated server? All I can find are downloads for the UT3 dedicated server.
    Unlikely you would ever see udk/unreal engines on Mac. The costs to both epic and game companies would be far too great for not offering anything more than a different os. The cost of supporting an equivalent opengl implementation as well as direct would be interesting to see. Also what you said above contradicts itself. Games are made for windows, because that's where the most support is.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by 3dimentia View Post
    Unlikely you would ever see udk/unreal engines on Mac. The costs to both epic and game companies would be far too great for not offering anything more than a different os. The cost of supporting an equivalent opengl implementation as well as direct would be interesting to see. Also what you said above contradicts itself. Games are made for windows, because that's where the most support is.
    They are developing for Mac OS. http://www.unrealengine.com/platforms

I wasn't contradicting myself. I was merely noting that Mac market share is going up, so it might be worth their while in the future.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well lookie there. Still, I doubt you'll see many studios make the jump to a mac pipeline.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by 3dimentia View Post
    Well lookie there. Still, I doubt you'll see many studios make the jump to a mac pipeline.
    When the engine gets it, it won't take a lot of effort for studios to port.
    Mac gaming market is about 5% (Steam data) and there's a lot less games for it (so let's assume 10% of your sales are Mac sales). There's no developer who's gonna throw away 10% more sales without much more effort.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by robin1232 View Post
    When the engine gets it, it won't take a lot of effort for studios to port.
    Mac gaming market is about 5% (Steam data) and there's a lot less games for it (so let's assume 10% of your sales are Mac sales). There's no developer who's gonna throw away 10% more sales without much more effort.
    I'm not saying they won't compile for mac. Of course they will. I'm saying you won't see many game companies make the jump to a mac pipeline, as in using them for content creation.

MSgt. Shooter Person

It's doubtful that the engine tool pipeline will be ported as opposed to just having a build target for Mac. Which makes it even more ridiculous that they won't support Linux at the same time.

Also, the Steam stats are skewed. 5% of the people who access Steam do so from a Mac, but there are no stats on how many of those 5% actually play any games (particularly games on the level of UDK).
    Visit us at BeyondUnreal!
    And for a cultured and mature Unreal Engine community, try our forums!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I believe they are about to port the UDK not with PC/Mac games as main target developer audience but for iOS developers. They are more likely to make the jump and move their toolchains to iOS. I hear Maya is working pretty nicely and XCode is at least usable, too.

Well hopefully now that UDK is able to compile for Mac, it won't be too long before it can do the same for Linux. Linux architecture is a lot more similar to OSX than it is to Windows so it shouldn't be a huge effort now that the foundations are in place.

Also just looking at the stats of the past Humble Indie Bundles, the Linux market share is just as big as OSX - and Linux users are even willing to consistently pay more.

Being able to distribute games for Linux in addition to Windows and Mac will greatly increase the potential customer base for UDK games - and it will only continue to grow!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I really hope to see a working verssion of the udk on linux so I can finally remove windows 7 instead of having it in dual boot...

It really isn't likely to happen.

Quote Originally Posted by jx53 View Post
    I really hope to see a working verssion of the udk on linux so I can finally remove windows 7 instead of having it in dual boot...
    Completely agree, that would be beyond awesome! Unfortunately that would be a lot more work than just being able to compile for Linux.

Quote Originally Posted by darthviper107 View Post
    It really isn't likely to happen.
    It wasn't long ago that people were saying the same thing about OSX...

And it still took forever to become available, and is only output for Mac, the editor is still PC only.

Considering that the Linux userbase is an even smaller percentage than Mac, it's not likely to happen.

Iron Guard

And it still took forever to become available, and is only output for Mac, the editor is still PC only.

Considering that the Linux userbase is an even smaller percentage than Mac, it's not likely to happen.
    And Both Mac OS and Linux are Unix operating system, so 80% of work is probably done now

Probably not the same

Iron Guard

Not the same but theres more similiarity between MacOS and Linux than Windows and MacOS.

Iron Guard

Alternatively Epic cuold just do what Google did when they put up the money to help make sure that Photoshop ran well through WINE in linux. It would be far more cost effective for Epic just to drop 30-60k to the guys over at cedega or WINE to make sure that Unreal ran as flawlessly through WINE as possible. You wouldn't see the performance gains from having it run natively in linux but it's beter than nothing. If you wanted it to run natively in linux the entire DX architecture would have to be dropped and OpenGL brought in. I'm not programmer but I imagine that would be like rewritting the entire engine, probably a few millions dollars in labour and testing to pull that off and for what? For a .5% market share if that?

Keep in mind that while linux users are gamers most of them are not in linux to game, we all have dual boot systems setup and if a game is damn good I'll just do what I'm doing right now to play dungeon defenders and boot into windows to play it. The same can not be said about the majority of MAC users which is why a mac port makes more sense, that's 5-10% oef the market they would NOT have otherwise. Whereas with linux that's .5% of the market that will probably just dual boot into windows to play it anyways as apposed to passing it up. I mean don't get me wrong, games like Savage 2 with native linux clients, or braid, or the humble bundle I buy just because those guys went to the trouble to make a linux client but I tell you this, when Mass effect 3 comes out, there's not way in hell I'm passing on playing that just because I have to boot into windows.

Epic knows this and that's why we're never going to see a Linux client.
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Veteran

of course with there being hundreds of different linux distributions that are common and millions of hardware combinations, you have significant support problems. When you can target a specific known set of apis like with android at lest you can guarantee some specific functions.

And also there are very few projects that even go for sale, and probably none of them that have gone for sale would care about supporting linux

Skaarj

Eh? You are checking with linux?

I would like because you can support with Xorg 7.x or 8.x and Kernel 3.0.x.

If yyou develop and build binaries for Linux/Unix . But Unity has been worked in Andoid now. WHy does Unreal Engine not work under Android System .

Android System is java based operating system ( Modificed by Linux System ).

Under Linux has a lot of Java binaries like jar Application. and wrapper. PLease don't use wrapper by WIne! Only linux-natived applications I hope you because you work more..

Thanks!

Skaarj

And also there are very few projects that even go for sale, and probably none of them that have gone for sale would care about supporting linux
    Yeah you like sale about VMWare Workstation. Because VMWare Workstation works under Linux/Unix The Company VMWare sells a lot of products That is current like Unreal Engine want get Linux/Unix sure. If you earn for our development and sale. It is truest right. I hope because Unreal Engine supports Linux/Unix and Android yet....

EDIT: double Post. I don't see. I am sorry!

Thanks
    Last edited by snakemedia; 02-16-2012 at 10:14 AM. Reason: EDIT: For double post :(

Banned

That's not gonna happen guys...

MSgt. Shooter Person

The only reason keeping me on Windows is games, as Steam going to be available on Linux soon, the next step would hopefully be UDK.
    Then I'll jump on Linux for sure, and certainly a lot of other gamers and developers will do.
    (I could even jump sooner according to this article form RPS, at least on dual boot.)

Iron Guard

There is a build of ue3 for Linux but it never got released but I'd prefure a minimal os like the Xbox dashboard then barley any memory is used by the os allowing the game to run on cheaper pc's

The Sacrifice

UE3/UDK for Open Free Source OS??? I can't see it ever happening.
    My opinion only.

It already supports Android.

But the only problem with Linux is the lack of support

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234