Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Dear Geodav,

I've followed your tutorial on "How to set your character as your Player". I've got a problem which is my character couldn't do any things (as jump,walk,etc). I think it doesn't works properly because I don't have a file .psa to solve this problem.
    Do you have any tutorial to make a .psa file, so we can set some movements to my own character?

Marrow Fiend

@azl, ok sounds like your using a custom mesh/rig for which you would have to create a custom animtree, anyway to create custom/extra anims just create the anim as normal and export it via actorx, i show this in my weapons tutorials its the same workflow just make sure you only have the mesh selected when you export the anims
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

Quote Originally Posted by geodav View Post
    @azl, ok sounds like your using a custom mesh/rig for which you would have to create a custom animtree, anyway to create custom/extra anims just create the anim as normal and export it via actorx, i show this in my weapons tutorials its the same workflow just make sure you only have the mesh selected when you export the anims
    Ok, I've seen your tutorial about weapon. It's same problem, i don't have any .psa file to set the movement/anim for my character. Do you have some examples .psa file which is imported in video tutorial?

I have the same problem with Azl, I'm pretty confuse getting .psa file, specially for character not for weapon. I've tried exporting .psa from .max model from UT3, I've tried your video tutorial about weapon too, but it didn't work. Do you have some examples .psa file especially for character ?

Marrow Fiend

come on guys, i don't want to spoon feed you your game content, to create your psa files make your anims then with the mesh selected export your anims via actorx, in the actorx manager then copy over and save the anims as a psa file, its the exact same way as doing the anims for the weapons

if you're still unsure you can also find lots of videos on youtube like this one i just found http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TmxXx...eature=related
    Last edited by geodav; 04-29-2011 at 04:31 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I followed the video and exported my gun via actorx. I got the following errors.
    Node without matching vertices encountered for mesh: [Box03]
    Node without matching vertices encountered for mesh: [Box05]
    Warning: 333 'Unmatched node ID' Physique skin vertex errors encountered
    Unsmooth groups processing: [1641] vertices added
    Skin file GUNEXPORT.PSK written

When I import the psk to udk I get message
    "Warning skeletal mesh is has no vertex influences"
    And as you can see in guninudk.jpg. Half the gun isn't there.

Whats difference between your gun in the video and my gun in the pic below?
    I dont understand whats with all the green triangles. Are they supposed to be bullets. If so I already have projectile set up in my projectile factory kismet code.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marrow Fiend

ok
    1st. make sure your weapon is a single mesh, "attach" all the peices together
    2nd. the green triangles are simple max objects which i link together to make the "rig" i do it this way as i find it easier to control than max bones.
    3rd. apply a skin modifier and skin(vertex wieght) your mesh to the bones
    4th. with "only" the mesh selected export your weapon via actorx making sure you use the correct settings as shown on the video and on the website.

weapons don't use kismet at all afaik, and certainly not for a automatic pistol

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm attempting to do everything in the video again with a different weapon and have run into some problems.

1.The triangles are not showing up under the skin modifier,
    2. The triangles are not showing any signs of heirarchy, despite me linking them together.

You can see my 3ds max gun in pic below
    Attached Images Attached Images

Marrow Fiend

1st. get rid of everything esle in the scene so that you only have the weapon (as a single mesh) and the bones/pyramids
    2nd. now open the "select by name lister" (hotkey H) to see your objects/bones makes sure you have "Display Children" ticked in the display settings of the lister.
    3rd. if the above is ok and your bones are linked together then apply a skin modifer to your mesh, add the bones and weight the verties.
    if your unsure what i'm on about the read/watch the 3ds max tutorials or trawl youtube

MSgt. Shooter Person

the triangles are not showing up in the bones areas. the only selectable is something called group. and i still cant add weight. i appreciate the help.

Marrow Fiend

ok take a tip from me, watch my videos, make you own weapon first, learn how to use 3ds max, then try again.

the thing called group is you weapon, it is a "Group" mesh eg lots of parts "grouped" together you need to ungroup it then attach all the parts together, in the "select by name lister" (hotkey H) make sure you can see everything you may have switched something off

Default Offline developers need an offline reference zip of udk docs

Thanks to everyone who posts tutorials and example files about the UDK

I switched to UDK from valve recently

I am offline
    all of you good folks are probably permanently connected with high speed umbilicals
    I get about 3 hours max at the library

I really need an offline html of the entire udk dox wiki

By now some bright human must have already gathered all the pages and zipped them so they wouldn't have to dl them again

can someone link me to such a repository of useful study material?

video tuts aren't what I really need, the udk dox are getting pretty complete
    but what's with the online only format.

I'm looking forward to improvements in an already very robust dev environment.

Marrow Fiend

@Anartist you may not have noticed that on the UDK doc site "UDN" it states that people should "NOT" make an offline version.

i on average get ca 2 hour per day on a computer - to do my game - to do tutorials - to help on this forum - and to have fun - but i do have a fast-ish connection

Really enjoying the tutorials ive seen so far, the 40K stuff is awesome, great stuff!

I'm following your videos for setting up the folders and making the gametype, but I've run into two problems.

First, in my UTGame.uc file, I don't have this section that is in your video:

"DefaultMapPrefixes (0) = (Prefix="DM",GameType="UTGame.UTDeathmatch")
    DefaultMapPrefixes (1) = (Prefix="CTF",GameType="UTGameContent.UTCTFGame_Co ntent")
    DefaultMapPrefixes (3) = (Prefix="VCTF",GameType="UTGameContent.UTVehicleCT FGame_Content")"

Secondly, when you run the Game at the end of video 2, where yours says, "GeoDeathmatch" mine comes out saying, "DavCorp.GeoDeathmatch"

Where am I going wrong?

Marrow Fiend

your not going wrong at all, when i recorded those video's (12.2009) that was all correct, since then there have been changes to the UDK code including the UTGame code witch is why those lines are no longer there.

the change in the gametype name comes from that UDK now uses the scaleform frontend (menu) which for some reason shows the game package as well, don't worry it does it to me, if i find an answer to it then i'll let you all know.

i last checked my code and content with the March2011 UDK release so you should be ok

your not going wrong at all, when i recorded those video's (12.2009) that was all correct, since then there have been changes to the UDK code including the UTGame code witch is why those lines are no longer there.

the change in the gametype name comes from that UDK now uses the scaleform frontend (menu) which for some reason shows the game package as well, don't worry it does it to me, if i find an answer to it then i'll let you all know.

i last checked my code and content with the March2011 UDK release so you should be ok
    Ah, okay.

I've come across a new problem: after finishing the basic game, when I go to choose settings (bots, etc.) there is nothing there so it defaults to a bot on each spawn point.

Marrow Fiend

ok to get the menu settings to work with the udk scaleform menu system you need to add the following in your UDKGame.ini

Code:
    [UT40kDeathmatch UTUIDataProvider_GameModeInfo]
    GameMode=UT40k.UT40kDeathmatch
    GameSettingsClass=UTgameSettingsDM
    GameSearchClass=UTGameSearchDM
    PreviewImageMarkup=UT40k_UI_Materials.GameTypes.UT40k_GametypePic_Default
    DefaultMap=UT40kDM-ut40ktest_10
    Prefixes=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    IconImage=UI_HUD.HUD.UI_HUD_BaseD
    IconU=442
    IconV=76
    IconUL=129
    IconVL=104
    FriendlyName=UT40k_Deathmatch
    Description=Free-for-all deathmatch action.
    and

Code:
    [BotSkill_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:BotSkill>

[NumBots_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:NumBots>
    OptionType=UTOT_Slider
    RangeData=(MinValue=0.0,MaxValue=15.0,bIntRange=1,NudgeValue=1.0,CurrentValue=0.0)

[VsBots_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:VsBots>
    bOnlineOnly=1

[GoalScore_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:GoalScore>
    bEditableCombo=1
    bNumericCombo=1

[TimeLimit_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:TimeLimit>
    bEditableCombo=1
    bNumericCombo=1

[BotTeam_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTStringList:BotTeams>
    bRemoveOn360=1
    bRemoveOnPC=1
    bRemoveOnPS3=1

[ForceRespawn_DM UTUIDataProvider_MenuOption]
    OptionSet=DM
    OptionSet=TDM
    OptionSet=VCTF
    OptionSet=UT40kDM
    OptionSet=UT40kTDM
    DataStoreMarkup=<UTGameSettings:ForceRespawn>
    OptionType=UTOT_CollectionCheckBox
    please note these are not the entries used in my DavCorp gametypes you just need to adjust the option in your gametype ini entry and then add it to the other MenuOption sections

MSgt. Shooter Person

Geodav, some of your tut's have been handy and have to say thanks. But old ones that don't work anymore maybe should be taken down (due to engine changes) maybe to help out new one's chasseing something that will never work with current engine configs. Update with the info above, would love to see footage of the game you’re working on!

Marrow Fiend

to be honest i'm finding it hard to find the time to do much atm, i do realise that most of my tutorials are a bit dated, the main thing is the work flow and to get people thinking in the Unreal way of doing things, if i get time i may re-new the udk basics as they have changed the most over the last year. some of the info in this thread may not get into the videos as Epic has a nasty habbit of changing great freatures to stop "Modders" from using to much of the UTGame code

if you mean UT40k as the game i'm working on then just goto http://www.moddb.com/mods/ut40k-the-chosen and download the monthly build that i upload on the last day of every month (tomorrow evening)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Is there any way I can turn down the detail in UDK, not in editor. I mean in the actual game.
    Last edited by Shinamori; 07-07-2011 at 11:34 PM.

Marrow Fiend

you can probley do it via postprocess effects but its not something i've looked at sorry

Hello there, I have seen Geodav tutorials and another ones over the web and I have some issues with my UDK Vehicle, I made mine in Blender and when I import it from a PSK file, add the anim tree but at the end my car comes to game with the front pointing to the sky, the wheels roll backguards and when I try to turn the car the steering whels are the ones in the back istead of the ones in the front, I think is somthing in my modeling program but I have trying for more than a month and can't figure how to solve this. Could any of you help me please?

I add images of my problem
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    Last edited by grahf_the_seeker; 08-03-2011 at 02:34 PM.

Marrow Fiend

first try using small pics or the shot tag(looks like the UT3 icon)

ok most problems like this are caused by the orintation of the base bone(pivot) sorry i've no idea how to do that in blender but it has to be done before you skin the mesh to the rig

as for steer the wrong wheel most likely you got something mixed up in the code, eg which are the front wheel bone and which are the rear

Sorry for the big images, I just fixed that problem now,

about my wheel bones they are called F_R_Tire and F_L_Tire for the front ones and B_R_Tire and B_L_Tire for the one in the back, I'll check my code about that and ask the person that helps me with the 3D models about the orientation

I used a car model with the landbuggy code, using only bones for wheels and the car body. However when I run the game, the wheels spin the wrong way (I don't mean like it's going in reverse, it turns inward towards the car then outward, like if you were facing the car it rotates left to right) and the car barely moves, can't go reverse and often can't change directions.

Like this:

How could this be? I commented out the animtree and morphset, and my physics thing is one block. Thanks for any help and for your tutorials
    Last edited by crysis1414; 08-05-2011 at 05:54 PM.

Marrow Fiend

@crysis1414 from the look of the picture i would say the bone/pivots orientation is wrong

you also need an animtree in there otherwise you get all sorts of problems, just follow the tutorials through and you should be fine

Default STill With Problems

Sorry again, I'm the one whith the problem with the steering in the wheels.

I have still two problems, The Wheels of my car rotate in the oposite side I want, so when I press 'W' it goes back and when I press ┤S┤ It goes right, plus the wheels that steer when I press the keys are the ones in the back of my car

I checked all my code and can't find a reason for this to happen, you sayed that could be my code, but there no place where you can define which wheels are the front ones.

Second problem, sometimes, dependeding on how I export the car from Blender the car sounds like it's crashing over and over again, and it's still, in what I should call the right position.

What I'm doing wrong?

Marrow Fiend

ok from the scorpian code it shows which wheels are steered
    Code:
    Begin Object Class=UTVehicleScorpionWheel Name=RRWheel
    		BoneName="B_R_Tire"
    		BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=20.0,Z=0.0)
    		SkelControlName="B_R_Tire_Cont"
    	End Object
    	Wheels(0)=RRWheel

Begin Object Class=UTVehicleScorpionWheel Name=LRWheel
    		BoneName="B_L_Tire"
    		BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=-20.0,Z=0.0)
    		SkelControlName="B_L_Tire_Cont"
    	End Object
    	Wheels(1)=LRWheel

Begin Object Class=UTVehicleScorpionWheel Name=RFWheel
    		BoneName="F_R_Tire"
    		BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=20.0,Z=0.0)
    		SteerFactor=1.0
    		LongSlipFactor=2.0
    		LatSlipFactor=3.0
    		HandbrakeLongSlipFactor=0.8
    		HandbrakeLatSlipFactor=0.8
    		SkelControlName="F_R_Tire_Cont"
    	End Object
    	Wheels(2)=RFWheel

Begin Object Class=UTVehicleScorpionWheel Name=LFWheel
    		BoneName="F_L_Tire"
    		BoneOffset=(X=0.0,Y=-20.0,Z=0.0)
    		SteerFactor=1.0
    		LongSlipFactor=2.0
    		LatSlipFactor=3.0
    		HandbrakeLongSlipFactor=0.8
    		HandbrakeLatSlipFactor=0.8
    		SkelControlName="F_L_Tire_Cont"
    	End Object
    	Wheels(3)=LFWheel
    with the direction problem i'd still say your bone orinetation is wrong

hello again, I've got better since the last time, but I have an issue that's driving me crazy. the car runs cool and all, but when I need to turn left or right with almost no speed the car rotates so slow y have no go reverse and left or right like three times to go back on the track. I checked my code and the steering option with the scorpion code and can't find any diference, could you tell what I'm missing, thanks for all the help

Marrow Fiend

taking a wild guess here but you could try changing these values

Code:
    Begin Object Class=UDKVehicleSimCar Name=SimObject
    		WheelSuspensionStiffness=100.0
    		WheelSuspensionDamping=3.0
    		WheelSuspensionBias=0.1
    		ChassisTorqueScale=0.0
    		MaxBrakeTorque=5.0
    		StopThreshold=100

MaxSteerAngleCurve=(Points=((InVal=0,OutVal=45),(InVal=600.0,OutVal=15.0),(InVal=1100.0,OutVal=10.0),(InVal=1300.0,OutVal=6.0),(InVal=1600.0,OutVal=1.0)))
    		SteerSpeed=110

LSDFactor=0.0
    		TorqueVSpeedCurve=(Points=((InVal=-600.0,OutVal=0.0),(InVal=-300.0,OutVal=80.0),(InVal=0.0,OutVal=130.0),(InVal=950.0,OutVal=130.0),(InVal=1050.0,OutVal=10.0),(InVal=1150.0,OutVal=0.0)))
    		EngineRPMCurve=(Points=((InVal=-500.0,OutVal=2500.0),(InVal=0.0,OutVal=500.0),(InVal=549.0,OutVal=3500.0),(InVal=550.0,OutVal=1000.0),(InVal=849.0,OutVal=4500.0),(InVal=850.0,OutVal=1500.0),(InVal=1100.0,OutVal=5000.0)))
    		EngineBrakeFactor=0.025
    		ThrottleSpeed=0.2
    		WheelInertia=0.2
    		NumWheelsForFullSteering=4
    		SteeringReductionFactor=0.0
    		SteeringReductionMinSpeed=1100.0
    		SteeringReductionSpeed=1400.0
    		bAutoHandbrake=true
    		bClampedFrictionModel=true
    		FrontalCollisionGripFactor=0.18
    		ConsoleHardTurnGripFactor=1.0
    		HardTurnMotorTorque=0.7

SpeedBasedTurnDamping=20.0
    		AirControlTurnTorque=40.0
    		InAirUprightMaxTorque=15.0
    		InAirUprightTorqueFactor=-30.0

// Longitudinal tire model based on 10% slip ratio peak
    		WheelLongExtremumSlip=0.1
    		WheelLongExtremumValue=1.0
    		WheelLongAsymptoteSlip=2.0
    		WheelLongAsymptoteValue=0.6

// Lateral tire model based on slip angle (radians)
       		WheelLatExtremumSlip=0.35     // 20 degrees
    		WheelLatExtremumValue=0.9
    		WheelLatAsymptoteSlip=1.4     // 80 degrees
    		WheelLatAsymptoteValue=0.9

bAutoDrive=false
    		AutoDriveSteer=0.3
    	End Object
    	SimObj=SimObject
    	Components.Add(SimObject)

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Biowolves

Hi,
    I have followed your UDK vehicle tutorial for a buggy and am having truble with the vehicle spawning the right way but when it hits the floor it rolls onto its side. When i try to flip it back in game it rolls back onto its side. Do you have any idea where I have messed up?

It is always rolling onto the same side as well

solved it by changing some X,Y,Z values to 0,0,0
    turns out the XYZ were for the centre of mass

Thankyou for all the tutorials
    Last edited by biowolves; 08-31-2011 at 04:19 PM.

Marrow Fiend

np's glad you got it fixed

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

I have ended up stuck getting the turret to turn on my apc, the turret seams stuck facing forwords. I have checked my spelling and compared parts with your landtank files but still cannot find where i have messed up. any ideas where it might be.

After playing with ticky boxes i have got it so thinks rotate and change pitch but were i look has now effect on were it aims
    Last edited by biowolves; 08-31-2011 at 04:25 PM.

Marrow Fiend

thats the idea with UT-vehicles the turret follows where you look as thats where you'll want to fire at, you steer the vehicle with WASZ and control the turret with the mouse

if that is not what you want then please try an explain what you need an i'll try and help

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

http://imageshack.us/clip/my-videos/689/3es.mp4/

here is a video of my problem. the vehicles also spawn with the turret facing the left and the turret is facing the right in the animetree editor but i dont mind the its the turrets aiming that is the problem.

sorry for the bad quality

Marrow Fiend

ok lets see if this helps,
    in the properties of the turrets skeleton controller(animtree)
    1. "Constraint" Invert Yaw tick box "tick"
    2. "Adjustments" Apply Rotation tick box "tick"
    3. "Rotation" Bone Rotation Space list -> BCS_ActorSpace

if unsure shout and i'll do a little vide for you

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey GeoDav , I have a problem with opening the package provided in the UDK Tank tutorial. when i open UDK and in the Content browser i choose load external package , it crashes. My udk version is : 2011-06

have any ideas ?
    I 4M 4LW4Y5 H3LPFUL. 4T L345T ! BuMp3D Y0uR THr34D.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

it didnt work
    Here is a pic of the setting i have on the turret rotaion.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/833/unled2tj.png/

I cannot change the bone rotation >yaw = 90
    this is probably because I have had to change the Origen rotation of the skelaten mesh as it is from maya but then there should also be a roll set to -90.
    __________________________________________________ _____________________

TO U F O
    if you put the package (the UPK file) into the following fileder in your udk directory

\UDK-2011-05\UDKGame\Content\Vehicles\geo

it should appere in your content browser
    so dont need to load anexternal package
    Last edited by biowolves; 09-03-2011 at 10:50 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

i did place geo's package there and it appeared in the content browser , but now when i try to open , double click or right click them , UDK crashes
    I 4M 4LW4Y5 H3LPFUL. 4T L345T ! BuMp3D Y0uR THr34D.

Page 6 of 11 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast