Default Not working at all.

So I have watched a few videos on the UDK, and it seems like my version just refuses to work. They say it is simple to apply textures, all you have to do is go to the content browser, click a texture, then click on an object, and apply the texture. But when I do that, nothing happens, and if I try to create a new object like a rectangle or a triangle, it sometimes tries edits the first original box on the level, even if everything is deselected. Also I am unable to delete anything, it just seems like my program refuses to do anything I tell it to.

My specs are
    Windows 7 Ultimate edition
    2.7 ghz dual core intel
    9800GTX+ 512 ddr3
    4 gigs of ram at 1066

EDIT: Is this just due to me not knowing what I am doing or something of that sort? Or is it due to windows 7 related issue? Should I reinstall? When I first installed the program it took multiple tries to get it to install, after setting the install with admin privileges and closing all programs it worked. Maybe it became corrupted during the install? Can anyone help me with this issue?
    Last edited by Shadow Streak; 11-07-2009 at 10:06 PM.

Sorry for the double post, but I give up, I am just going to reinstall. If anyone has an answer to my problem, please post it.

"They say it is simple to apply textures, all you have to do is go to the content browser, click a texture, then click on an object, and apply the texture. But when I do that, nothing happens..."

Try selecting a material, instead of a texture. Textures are used when making materials. You can drag-and-drop the material from the Content Browser onto the area you want to apply the material to.

"...if I try to create a new object like a rectangle or a triangle, it sometimes tries edits the first original box on the level, even if everything is deselected. Also I am unable to delete anything, it just seems like my program refuses to do anything I tell it to."

I'm not fully understanding the problem you mentioned. It sounds like your level just needs to be rebuilt (Rebuild All or Rebuild Geometry buttons on the top toolbar). If you make edits to BSP, you must rebuild the level in order to see those changes. Also, you are unable to delete BSP geometry by selecting a surface and deleting it; you must select the entire brush (ctrl+shift+Left click), and then delete.

Try looking here: http://waylon-art.com/LearningUnreal/UE3-03A-CSG.htm
    -Aaron Jones-
    Engine Test Lead, Epic Games

Yeah, I got it to work, I meant material, I am just use to saying that from using hammer for so long. But it would not work before. And for the making a new box, if I tried to create a new cube or a triangle, it would turn the original cube that you start with on the level into whatever shape I wanted to make. So I was limited to only 1 object, I could still makes lights and those types of things. But after a reinstall it seems to be working now.

When I originally downloaded the file, I got it from filefront, and when the download finished it stated that the file was corrupt. But when I tried it again it installed fine. So idk if the download went bad somewhere, or filefront's file is broken. But I just decided to download the udk from this website other then a mirror. But everything seems to be working now, I can create multiple things and apply materials to them. Thank's for the help though!

Default Deleting planes

Sorry, noob question:

Ctrl-shift-select works for all geometry but not planes. Can't select a plane that way and delete it. What am I missing?

Ok odd, could be a bug. So if I create a sheet, then I can't simply ctrl-shift select it, I have to make sure that there is another red builder brush in the scene. Then it lets me ctrl-shift select it. This does not apply to other forms of geometry, so is this a bug or does it have some design reason to behave like this?