Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: UDK for MacOS X

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: K0par

I'd like Mac support because my clients want mac support and I either have to use Unity or lose money by not offering it at all.

You'll be able to output to Mac at some point

Default Stop OS War

The reason about udk is still not avaiable to mac (just my opinion) is DirectX, i know Microsoft asked Apple to recompile Dx for mac, and to do this they wanted to access their source code, Apple said no, anyway i think in a year or two Udk will be realeased even on mac, maybe like $9.99 on the AppStore for non commercial purpose only and everybody will be fine eheheheh

while for commercial purpose always with the rule of 15%

(if someone from epic is reading this should be a good idea to get mac users what they want and even don't spend too much to port the engine on mac without getting anything back)

That's not the issue--I'm guessing they're updating it to support OpenGL (or whatever iOS uses) and since they already started doing it with iOS that they are just going all the way to support Mac.

And again, they aren't planning on releasing UDK for Mac, but they will be supporting output to Mac.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

Quote Originally Posted by HateBall View Post
    The reason about udk is still not avaiable to mac (just my opinion) is DirectX, i know Microsoft asked Apple to recompile Dx for mac, and to do this they wanted to access their source code, Apple said no, anyway i think in a year or two Udk will be realeased even on mac, maybe like $9.99 on the AppStore for non commercial purpose only and everybody will be fine eheheheh

while for commercial purpose always with the rule of 15%

(if someone from epic is reading this should be a good idea to get mac users what they want and even don't spend too much to port the engine on mac without getting anything back)

What have you been smoking? Microsoft would NEVER allow Apple to make DirectX for Mac, it would be a bad business decision.

I think the real reason as to why the engine is going to be ported, but not the tools is Cocoa. Cocoa ONLY supports Objective-C (which can grab code from C++) to make interfaces. Objective-C is a massive pain in the ass for any C/C++ coder, so Epic would have to hire people specifically to make the interface for the Mac version of the editor. Mac users are generally not known for being too tech savvy, so usage wouldn't be that great either.
    I've got the 3 people here that would use it:
    http://wolfos.org/?p=62

Add me (it's my site) to that, that makes 4. Now surely some more Mac users would use UDK, but I don't think it will spawn too many professional projects.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Go Linux or go home.
    Visit us at BeyondUnreal!
    And for a cultured and mature Unreal Engine community, try our forums!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Who cares. I've got a HP with 3 video cards and 48gb of RAM that NEVER freezes and NEVER shows any sign of 'instability' AND it was still WAAAAAAAAAAAY cheaper than a Mac with a quarter of that power. It's NEVER frozen EVER. I use Maya, Max, C4D, Combustion, Adobe, whatever. Why would anyone waste money on a Mac? They're toys for fashion victims.

MSgt. Shooter Person

@darthviper107 OpenGL is not the issue. Unreal Engine 3 runs on ps3's which use OpenGL. Its simply a matter of Epic trying to retain exclusivity AND if they made UDK available for Mac users they would have to waste money on new employees just to port the engine.

The engine already runs on Mac, since it's been designed to work on iOS

But the editor itself is only DirectX, since all development is done through PC. So it can output to several different systems, but only can be developed in one.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Realistic View Post
    @darthviper107 OpenGL is not the issue. Unreal Engine 3 runs on ps3's which use OpenGL. Its simply a matter of Epic trying to retain exclusivity AND if they made UDK available for Mac users they would have to waste money on new employees just to port the engine.
    Well, Epic used to make more money when UT99 & UT2004 was out. Epic always had all their games be for pc & mac. When UT3 came out which did turn out as good as UT99 & UT2004. So I don't know why Epic is not supporting mac right now. Their is so many mac games coming out this year. It only took Valve two months to code their games for mac in steam which is about 15 games.
    "The right to play god...is now mine"
    ~Albert Wesker

PureUT3Mods: Volume 1 - Mutator Pack:
    http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=723693

Again, they're going to be supporting Mac, just not with the tools. I don't know if they ever supported the tools on Mac even if they released a game for Mac.

And I'm sure they make much more money now than they ever did with UT99 and UT2004

MSgt. Shooter Person

So does UDK support build application for Mac OSX or not ?

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ambershee

Not right now, no.

Quote Originally Posted by Oblivion2500 View Post
    It only took Valve two months to code their games for mac in steam which is about 15 games.
    I doubt it took only two months. Also, Source is somewhat antiquated which would render the porting process a lot simpler. Besides, there isn't anything other than the $3000 Mac Pro that's really suitable for working with UDK *anyway*.
    - Please do not send me questions regarding programming or implementing things in UDK via Private Message. I do not have time to respond and they are much better answered in the forums. -

Iron Guard

I'll take an OpenGL linux version first please Knowing full well that's not going to happen..
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by ambershee View Post
    Not right now, no.

I doubt it took only two months. Also, Source is somewhat antiquated which would render the porting process a lot simpler. Besides, there isn't anything other than the $3000 Mac Pro that's really suitable for working with UDK *anyway*.
    I think the 2011 iMac and Macbook Pro with all the upgrades is really suitable too. I know a website to get ram upgrades 70% off than what apple gives you for. Sure mac pro is really powerful. The upcoming mac pro is going to have Ivy bridge intel processors.
    ~Albert Wesker

MSgt. Shooter Person

Looks like you there Mac users received quite a nice treat in the September 2011 release.
    My Portfolio:
    http://www.seanmoconnor.com
    Currently looking for an entry level position

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by SeanO'Connor View Post
    Looks like you there Mac users received quite a nice treat in the September 2011 release.
    A nice treat indeed.. I'll surely cast my lot witht hose holding out for an OpenGL linux version as this open source dev needs some lovin
    ~Ryan Wiancko - Producer
    Ironbelly Studios -
    AAA Quality Services at Indie Prices
    UDK Developer & Service Provider(2D,3D,UI,Animation,VFX,Audio,Code) for PC, Console and Mobile
    Follow us on Facebook: www.facebook.com/ironbellystudios

Iron Guard

Cool Finally!

Now UDK have support for Mac OS X games! You can now also put it in the app store if you are a developer! I am so happy! Now it will be awesome if epic games create the actual UDK for mac someday. I can wait on that. Thank you! Now I hope you all modders and developer create the games for mac along with PC support. It very little effort but it makes many mac users happy!
    ~Albert Wesker

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sorry to bump this a little. Period... My Mac Pro is superior in every way to my Windows 7 PC.. Period... OpenGL, DirectX, .NET, Mono... blah. Mac is superior in every way. Yes I said it twice I wish the "developers" would get their heads out of the clouds and realize this. Imagine all of your workers actually getting all of their work done in a timely manner, without ever having any major "Crashes","BlueScreens","Viruses"... LOL.. of course.. the COST of my Mac Pro was triple that of my PC.... HAHA
    Game Design Student - Full Sail University

Quote Originally Posted by Nickadimos View Post
    Sorry to bump this a little. Period... My Mac Pro is superior in every way to my Windows 7 PC.. Period... OpenGL, DirectX, .NET, Mono... blah. Mac is superior in every way. Yes I said it twice I wish the "developers" would get their heads out of the clouds and realize this. Imagine all of your workers actually getting all of their work done in a timely manner, without ever having any major "Crashes","BlueScreens","Viruses"... LOL.. of course.. the COST of my Mac Pro was triple that of my PC.... HAHA
    You're an idiot

MSgt. Shooter Person

darthviper107:
    Really? LOL
    Well, without a thorough follow up on that response I will have to assume that it takes one to know one! You'll make it I promise! or.. you spent an incredible amount of money on your PC and have some serious buyers remorse about it? Probably happened that first time you tried to play a downloaded movie in and found out you didn't have the "codec", maybe it was when your computer slowed down after a month and had to run "defrag". LOL

MSgt. Shooter Person

Double Post..
    Last edited by Nickadimos; 11-10-2011 at 02:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickadimos View Post
    darthviper107:
    Really? LOL
    Well, without a thorough follow up on that response I will have to assume that it takes one to know one! You'll make it I promise! or.. you spent an incredible amount of money on your PC and have some serious buyers remorse about it? Probably happened that first time you tried to play a downloaded movie in and found out you didn't have the "codec", maybe it was when your computer slowed down after a month and had to run "defrag". LOL
    I'll go through it

You say Mac is superior in every way, but that's completely untrue. Windows PC's have more advantages for game developers than Mac.

1-software compatibility. Mac can't use programs like 3ds Max, UDK
    2-hardware performance. Most graphics programs and games that are on both systems have better performance on Windows.
    3-price. Why would I buy a Mac when I can get way more power for the same price? Especially for a custom-built desktop.

And as for the other things

-I've never had UDK crash ever, and as for Windows stability, I've had the same amount of crashing issues with Windows as I've had with Mac
    -Haven't had virus issues either, for experienced users it's very easy to avoid getting viruses, not to mention that Windows has lots of security anyways.

Also--as to codecs--VLC can play everything, only issue I've had is with 3D formats which is understandable.

Anyways, that's why you're an idiot, because you obviously don't know what you're talking about.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Alien8ed_Phreak

@Darthviper

I second that, I just didn't want to be the first person to say it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

There you go.. now were talking like big boys and girls!
    Of course it would work "better". Photoshop, being one "made" for Mac, works better on Mac.. thats one that I can think of off the top of my head. I know that UDK doesnt work on MAC, duh... It was made for windows, thus the origination of this whole thread...

You must be the luckiest guy in the world for your UDK or windows never crashing. grats! Never had a virus or malware or anything like that either i take it?

KIA costs less than Cadillac, so it must be superior then?

We can call this off and agree that your wrong its really not that important to me.

Good job following your "idiot" argument up with some decent, though covered already and outside the scope of the argument itself, "more-than-four-words" conversation.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Linux kicks the crap out of Macs and Windows both. And don't flatter yourselves, both break, Macs just do it less, but they break just as hard; and either way both OS's are like grandpas holding the hands of the child-user to cross the street. Macs are just as fine as Windows for browsing the internet (or other mundane tasks,) and Windows machines are just as capable as Macs (assuming they have access to said software.)

That being said, I'm with ironbelly, gogo OpenGL Linux distro! (Not that it's required, it'd just be nice. )

Technical Writer - UDN
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ffejnosliw

Please do not insult other members or start pointless, unrelated arguments. These forums are for discussing UDK.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456