Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 40 of 228

Thread: UDK for MacOS X

  1. #1

    Default UDK for MacOS X

    Is there any information about UDK for Mac? Will it be released?

  2. #2

    Default

    May be there will be no release bcoz i see the .Net framework is required to setup UDK here. I like your thought by the way!

  3. #3

    Default

    I think it isn't a big problem for porting: EpicGames announced Mac version of UT3 in 2007 (information from Wikipedia and maclife.com), but now I can't find any info about this so you seem to be right. But does exist any official info?

  4. #4
    Redeemer
    Join Date
    Sep 2002
    Location
    Ireland
    Posts
    1,158

    Default

    As said, there are a number of things relying on .NET, so that makes it unlikely.
    However, I think it's just the editor which relies on .NET so much, so Mac/Linux versions of the base engine/runtime might still be possible.

  5. #5
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Posts
    12

    Default

    As far as I know Unreal Editor is mostly based on wxWidgets, there is a Linux/Mac version of toolkit available. I don't know, where .NET is used in UDK, but there is also mono project for Mac/Linux with poor .NET compatibility

    Still, all this story around Mac/Linux version of UT3 is frightening and I'm afraid we are not getting UDK before UT3

  6. #6

    Default

    Yea, I'm still waiting on that linux port of UT3 :/

    Not holding my breath anymore though

  7. #7
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    54

    Default

    Actually, http://www.mono-project.com/Main_Page Mono is an opensource .Net development framework for linux osX and windows. It's a bit behind where epic needs it to be, but I dont think that .net is the main reason for not porting the engine.

  8. #8
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

    Default

    no, actually, the main reason why is because the pc version runs on DirectX (9.0c) and mac can only handle OpenGL, macsoft is porting, but they're also still working on an age of empires III expansion (like anyone is going to buy that...).

    anyway, I think that its gonna be released as soon as UT3 and Gears of War come for mac, but thats probably gonna take a long, long time.

  9. #9
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robin1232 View Post
    no, actually, the main reason why is because the pc version runs on DirectX (9.0c) and mac can only handle OpenGL
    PlayStation 3 version runs on OpenGL

    Seems like you are not following Icculus with his news about Linux/Mac port.

    Ryan "Icculus" C. Gordon already posted two screenshots with Unreal Tournament running on Linux and Mac, using mojoshader (translator for directx shader language, afaik UE3' render pipeline is fully based on shaders)

  10. #10
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jazz View Post
    PlayStation 3 version runs on OpenGL

    Seems like you are not following Icculus with his news about Linux/Mac port.

    Ryan "Icculus" C. Gordon already posted two screenshots with Unreal Tournament running on Linux and Mac, using mojoshader (translator for directx shader language, afaik UE3' render pipeline is fully based on shaders)
    where can I find it then?
    cant find anything at all on http://icculus.org/

  11. #11

    Default

    There is a link to his mercurial repository: you can download mojo only form it (as i understand).

  12. #12

    Default

    where can I find it then?
    cant find anything at all on http://icculus.org/
    http://icculus.org/cgi-bin/finger/fi...&time=06-38-30

    I think Jazz meant to follow him on Twitter.

  13. #13
    Veteran

    Join Date
    Dec 2002
    Location
    A world of possibilities
    Posts
    6,142

    Default

    Icculus took over 2 years to do many of his ports.. It's been exactly 2 with UT3 now, so you never know.
    I run VoxHouse (VHSGames) and the UnrealDB.
    Film & Game producer, using and teaching UDK & Unreal Engine 4. Please stop by and say a good word on my project thread.
    Also feel free to join us on #udkc irc.gamesurge.net or via web: http://myclodel.com to chat live with others in the UDK community.

  14. #14

    Default

    Well, I'm a mac user and would LOVE to have UDK run natively on my comp. I could use XP, or figure it out in Wine... but it would be nice to have it on OS X.

    We have to wait ~2 years?

  15. #15
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Megam4n View Post
    We have to wait ~2 years?
    Well, 2 years passed and Unreal Tournament 3 is not published yet, so no one knows

    As for wine, Unreal Editor never worked good through it. I've tried to install UDK, but failed even on winetricks installation of framework.

  16. #16

    Default

    I would also like to express my interest in a max or linux udk, running it in parallels is almost impossible to use light mass haha

  17. #17

    Default

    Why do you want to run it in OSX? Don't really know if you have an Intel mac but if so, just use bootcamp. If you have a mac that could run UDK smoothly then you probably won't have any problems with running it on windows on your mac.

  18. #18
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    192
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: madeinkenya

    Default

    Personally I prefer to develop on windows but would still like to the have the option to publish to OSX.

  19. #19
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    St. Petersburg
    Posts
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Idsz View Post
    Why do you want to run it in OSX? Don't really know if you have an Intel mac but if so, just use bootcamp.
    Maybe because not everyone wants to keep windows installation for a single program?

  20. #20
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Idsz View Post
    Why do you want to run it in OSX? Don't really know if you have an Intel mac but if so, just use bootcamp. If you have a mac that could run UDK smoothly then you probably won't have any problems with running it on windows on your mac.
    because windows is the most unstable kernel there is, seriously, it crashes all the time.
    twenty minutes after installing my xp bootcamp it crashed and required a reinstall.
    now it runs pretty good, but it still crashes alot more than OS-X.

  21. #21
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Philadelphia
    Posts
    245
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: t1du

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Idsz View Post
    Why do you want to run it in OSX? Don't really know if you have an Intel mac but if so, just use bootcamp. If you have a mac that could run UDK smoothly then you probably won't have any problems with running it on windows on your mac.
    Sorry to dig up an old thread here. I agree with your statement, it's easy enough to map/mod in boot camp, I did it with UT3. But I think OP might be onto something. Macs are gaining some marketshare, and it's possible "mac gaming," whatever it may be, could gain some traction. And I think if it were to start anywhere, it would be small, cheap (or free), fun homebrew games.

    Autodesk recently ported Maya to Mac, and Photoshop's available, so there aren't many limitations to an artist working with a Mac UDK. I'll easily settle for boot camp, but I don't think a Mac UDK is so far fetched.

  22. #22
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    123

    Default

    Macs have become pretty much the norm for designers in the last 3 years, can't really figure out why i think its just because they look stylish and you know designers.

    If i only used maya and photoshop it would probably prefer a mac, if it didn't cost 5x more then a build yourself PC, but until they get 3ds and the games running natively dual booting just gets annoying. I personally would prefer to run ubuntu by itself permenantly but since most games and lots of other software don't like it too much yet its just as bad as a mac. Hopefully in a couple of years it'l run everything windows 100% and then windows can go in the bin

  23. #23
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tidu View Post
    Sorry to dig up an old thread here. I agree with your statement, it's easy enough to map/mod in boot camp, I did it with UT3. But I think OP might be onto something. Macs are gaining some marketshare, and it's possible "mac gaming," whatever it may be, could gain some traction. And I think if it were to start anywhere, it would be small, cheap (or free), fun homebrew games.

    Autodesk recently ported Maya to Mac, and Photoshop's available, so there aren't many limitations to an artist working with a Mac UDK. I'll easily settle for boot camp, but I don't think a Mac UDK is so far fetched.
    actually, photoshop is more than available, it works better on mac than on windows.

    as for the UDK, macsoft is working on an UT3 for mac port and Epic also announced Gears for mac.

    so I think it might be coming along with the UT3 port.

  24. #24
    Iron Guard
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Actually UDK uses WPF. I guess for parts of the editor. And WPF is not ported to any other OS..

    And the Adobe Suite on Mac OS uses Carbon.. even CS 4. That's why they have Photoshop 64 on Windows x64 but not on Mac OS X 10.6. I love Mac OS and use it for anything I see it fit, but f.e. OpenGL is just slow on Mac OS. Got worse again with 10.6.

    And as of today Mac's can run Windows nativly.. I doubt theyll spend time and money to port over UDK, just because the benefits/costs list is uneven.

    Best bet is to dual boot your Mac with Win 7 and Mac OS. One for fun (and funwork) and one for (serious?) work.

  25. #25
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eAlex79 View Post
    Actually UDK uses WPF. I guess for parts of the editor. And WPF is not ported to any other OS..

    And the Adobe Suite on Mac OS uses Carbon.. even CS 4. That's why they have Photoshop 64 on Windows x64 but not on Mac OS X 10.6. I love Mac OS and use it for anything I see it fit, but f.e. OpenGL is just slow on Mac OS. Got worse again with 10.6.

    And as of today Mac's can run Windows nativly.. I doubt theyll spend time and money to port over UDK, just because the benefits/costs list is uneven.

    Best bet is to dual boot your Mac with Win 7 and Mac OS. One for fun (and funwork) and one for (serious?) work.
    sigh...
    http://www.insidemacgames.com/news/s...rticleID=15395

  26. #26

    Default

    I know this is old news but... http://www.pcworld.com/article/18528..._engine_3.html So, aside from having to port tools, any work on at least being able to bake for the mac/iphone platform? I am intimate with the iPhone SDK and this is proof to me that it is not too much of a stretch to pull off. I have tremendous faith in Epic and am simply a frustrated dev who is going through UDK withdrawals.

    Thanks

  27. #27
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    50

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eAlex79 View Post
    Best bet is to dual boot your Mac with Win 7 and Mac OS. One for fun (and funwork) and one for (serious?) work.
    But having a partitioned harddrive is a complete pain in the arse when you've already got all your other Mac-based design applications on the opposite part to the UDK. Personally I can just about get away with running the UDK in Windows under Parallels, but it would be much more efficient if I didn't have to.

    I don't understand why Epic hasn't at least mentioned some sort of consideration of a Mac version of the UDK. After all, it can be used for more than just games, and Macs seem to be getting ever widening use in the entertainment industries. Having a dedicated Mac version would speed up quite a few people's production times, and maybe speed up the cash flow into Epic's pockets as a result.

  28. #28
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    101
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: crapageddon

    Default

    I boot camp it. Currently running XP and have Maya on my PC side. I would love to get a Mac port of UDK to utilize my processors and full ram. Right now I cap out on the PC side at 4GB when I could have 8GB on my Mac side. Dual Quad cores are being underwhelmed as well. If Mac doesn't get on the wagon soon I may end up going back to PC exclusively. I bought a Mac because of the flexibility of having both OS's and while OSX kicks the crap out of windows - OSX can't run UDK. Not yet anyway.

    I'm thinking of upgrading to vista on my BootCamp to utilize the 64 bitness. Any suggestions? I'm not going to 7 because I need Leopard to do that and Leopard I've heard nothing but horror stories about (for 3D users anyway).

  29. #29
    Iron Guard
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    517

    Default

    Leopard? 10.5 has really good OpenGL support for the cards it supports, 10.6 is okay but worse then 10.6, but it's useable and I sure Apple is going to change that soon, and 10.4 is just plain bad at OpenGL.

    Go for Snow Leopard and Windows 7.

  30. #30
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    Location
    Netherlands
    Posts
    145
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Robin da Ownage

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by eAlex79 View Post
    Leopard? 10.5 has really good OpenGL support for the cards it supports, 10.6 is okay but worse then 10.6, but it's useable and I sure Apple is going to change that soon, and 10.4 is just plain bad at OpenGL.

    Go for Snow Leopard and Windows 7.
    10.6 has native support for OpenCL.
    and ofcourse DirectX is faster than OpenGL, but I hate the way that it has to reinstall every time you install a game...

    seriously though, OpenCL can compute things on the GPU which can be really fast.
    Linux supports it too, but I hope microsoft doesn't steal it (like with HTML 5, at least google contributed with a good example of how to use it).

  31. #31

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by robin1232 View Post
    10.6 has native support for OpenCL.
    and ofcourse DirectX is faster than OpenGL, but I hate the way that it has to reinstall every time you install a game...

    seriously though, OpenCL can compute things on the GPU which can be really fast.
    Linux supports it too, but I hope microsoft doesn't steal it (like with HTML 5, at least google contributed with a good example of how to use it).
    Well, just saying that "DirectX is faster than OpenGL" shows biased view at best, ignorance at worse.

    You should complete that sentence with "on Windows platforms".
    There is a nice and growing engine called Unigine (http://unigine.com) that has a nice benchmark feature, and amazingly, it run under Windows, MacOSX and Linux. Try it, and benchmark it under Windows and Linux(with NVidia driver) or MacOSX.

    Here my OpenGL+Linux benchmark was a little better than Windows+DirectX! YES, TRY IT YOURSELF! But, Windows+OpenGL really sux as hell! This is not OpenGL fault I can say...

    Anyway, there is not a reason (other than - I don't give a f*!#) that we haven't udk3 on MacOSX (if they already have an udk3 iPhone preview!) and Linux (if they already have an udk3 Palm webOS preview!).

    UDK3 on iPhone: http://www.beyondunreal.com/view_story.php?id=13058
    UDK3 on Palm webOS: http://www.techrockstar.com/2010/03/...s-gets-unreal/

    ps1.: I really want to play Mortal Online in a stable and decent platform like MacOSX or Linux.
    ps2.: I have various friends that have Mac and want to play it too, and other unreal games but are stuck at WoW because it just runs under MacOSX.

  32. #32
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    In Canada with a half-decent laptop that has SM4 support.
    Posts
    168
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: PSN: StingReay1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Shambler View Post
    As said, there are a number of things relying on .NET, so that makes it unlikely.
    However, I think it's just the editor which relies on .NET so much, so Mac/Linux versions of the base engine/runtime might still be possible.
    It's not hard to optimise an app for Mono. Look at Unity for Mac, it uses Mono instead of .NET.

  33. #33

    Default

    Ignorance is a bliss when it comes to Mac vs. PC. I've been using both for some time now and I usually bootcamp to windows in order to play the latest games. Other than that, it's all OSX.

    Why? Since I've never had important software crash in OS X On windows it tends to crash quite often, especially if you dont do clean install once in a while for the whole computer. Also, on OSX there are far fewer background processes going on, which means that I have the performance on the program that I am actually working with.

    When it comes to graphics, there is no "DirectX only" features. For example, check MGS3 Snake Eater on PS2 console. It has all the shiny effects that MS used to sell Vista (DX10) to consumers. But still it has nothing to do with DirectX.

    Same applies for Unreal. The shaders makes up most of what we see on the screen and the difference between the HLSL (DirectX) and GLSL (OpenGL) are quite minimal and can be easily converted to each other. After all, the hardware does the computing, not the language.

    Same applies for .NET . The mono project is more than enough to handle most of .NET features.

    The real question here is not which OS is better, since it comes down to users own preference, but more about if it's viable for Epic to make a Mac port of UDK. ATM, the answer is no, but even that might change in the future (whit more titles being released on the Mac as well).

    It is not a matter of technological issues. It's a matter of money.

  34. #34
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Location
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Posts
    8
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: J0hnny Thund3r

    Default

    Steam runs on a mac now so that may tip the balance of the computer gaming world, ideally for the better seeing as Mac and Linux share a lot in common.

  35. #35
    Iron Guard
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Germany
    Posts
    517

    Default

    What do MacOS X and Linux share alot then?

    UDK uses WPF, WPF is not part of Mono, and it probably will not be.

  36. #36
    Skaarj
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Cambridge, UK
    Posts
    17

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by VeliV View Post
    Ignorance is a bliss when it comes to Mac vs. PC. I've been using both for some time now and I usually bootcamp to windows in order to play the latest games. Other than that, it's all OSX.

    Why? Since I've never had important software crash in OS X On windows it tends to crash quite often, especially if you dont do clean install once in a while for the whole computer. Also, on OSX there are far fewer background processes going on, which means that I have the performance on the program that I am actually working with.

    When it comes to graphics, there is no "DirectX only" features. For example, check MGS3 Snake Eater on PS2 console. It has all the shiny effects that MS used to sell Vista (DX10) to consumers. But still it has nothing to do with DirectX.

    Same applies for Unreal. The shaders makes up most of what we see on the screen and the difference between the HLSL (DirectX) and GLSL (OpenGL) are quite minimal and can be easily converted to each other. After all, the hardware does the computing, not the language.

    Same applies for .NET . The mono project is more than enough to handle most of .NET features.

    The real question here is not which OS is better, since it comes down to users own preference, but more about if it's viable for Epic to make a Mac port of UDK. ATM, the answer is no, but even that might change in the future (whit more titles being released on the Mac as well).

    It is not a matter of technological issues. It's a matter of money.
    Not to mention the amazing technology called tesselation that Microsoft claim is amazing and worth upgrading to Dx11 for. >_> OpenGL has been able to do tesselation since 2007. OpenGL just doesn't have a huge FUD campaign in their favour.

  37. #37
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    207

    Default

    Not entirely true. OpenGL implements a different version of tessellation that will not take advantage of the new tessellation hardware in upcoming cards. So DX11 really will have an advantage over OpenGL at release. Of course by the time those cards are widespread enough to matter I'm sure there will be an OpenGL extension out to support them. But it's simply not true that OpenGL has had DX11 tessellation since 2007.

  38. #38
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    NJ
    Posts
    37
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jpeg123

    Default

    i really do hate to open the thread but killing floor (if i'm not mistaken) is available for mac through steam. the game is built off of the unreal engine. so it is possible to port some of the games over to the mac. so the support is there but not for editor (from killing floor steam page) "Includes Windows-only SDK for the creation of new levels and mods". i think that the sdk for any unreal games are being worked on and should be available soon


    http://store.steampowered.com/app/1250/ killing floor page

  39. #39
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Dec 2009
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    43
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: jasen52

    Default

    Mass Effect and Bioshock are also on Mac, so the unreal engine must be capable of cooking the games to run on a Mac, just not running the editor on one, which is fair enough.

  40. #40
    MSgt. Shooter Person
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    58

    Default

    I am currently running UDK on a mac using boot camp.


 
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
Copyright ©2009-2011 Epic Games, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
Digital Point modules: Sphinx-based search vBulletin skin by CompletevB.com.