Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast
Results 1,281 to 1,320 of 1609
    Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dragonzzilla

Got Chapter Two of Alpha Killer out!
    I currently have one infraction. It expires May 31st, 2013.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TriiKy Relapse

Hey everyone, I'm trying to write a campaign DLC focusing on the savage locust, but I need help with writing names for the characters, its my one weakness. Could anyone help me out?
    P.s Its not even close yet, I wrote a rough draft that I need to organize and re-write, along with adding some key points that I left out.

Quote Originally Posted by Charging Admission View Post
    Hey everyone, I'm trying to write a campaign DLC focusing on the savage locust, but I need help with writing names for the characters, its my one weakness. Could anyone help me out?
    P.s Its not even close yet, I wrote a rough draft that I need to organize and re-write, along with adding some key points that I left out.
    Yeah, names are tough. I'd suggest checking out this thread...

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...ies-Collection

...lots of Locust names which might help inspire.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Thanks, I'll check it out right away.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

I can post the story if you wish, but as I said it's a bit cheesy at some points and its only the beginning of the story.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Croswynd

As long as the first chapter(s) or prologue is completely finished, post away. Unfinished chapters aren't really necessary until they're done. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Charging Admission View Post
    I can post the story if you wish, but as I said it's a bit cheesy at some points and its only the beginning of the story.
    Cheese isn't so bad, it can often add drama and fun to a story.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

If you say so, the first chapters almost done, I just haven't had the time or support to finish it. My friend tried fixing it and his version was odd. Any criticism would be appreciated.

http://forums.epicgames.com/threads/...-your-input%29

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

In some weirdass stroke of luck, Chapter Three of Alpha Killer has been released. I thought it was a goner when I accidently closed it's tab...

Banned
    Gamer IDs

I'm going to finish writing the plot for the story after I finish some homework, along with fixing some points. Any help with naming the cog will be greatly appreciated.

Legend.....wait for it....dary
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Meh PSN ID: Meh

Looking forward to seeing what you got.
    I'll check in every now and again but for the most part, I won't be as active as I was previously. It really was the Gears + people that got me posting on here in the first place. Unless Epic release an awesome game or something. I'm leaving this message because I'm obviously a very, very important person.

Hope to see a lot of you on the BT Forums! - 11/02/2014 (lol)

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

I just finished reading Jacinto's Remnant.

Gamer IDs

How'd you like it?
    I'll check in every now and again but for the most part, I won't be as active as I was previously. It really was the Gears + people that got me posting on here in the first place. Unless Epic release an awesome game or something. I'm leaving this message because I'm obviously a very, very important person.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by SKORGE View Post
    How'd you like it?
    Awesome. It really answers the questions of 'what happened after Jacinto?'.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by DragonzZilla View Post
    Awesome. It really answers the questions of 'what happened after Jacinto?'.
    I know it helps fill in alot of blanks most gearheads have when they ask those questions. i enjoyed it!
    G3

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Can't wait to continue Alpha Killer. I'm still in the process of getting my laptop back.
    Last edited by DragonzZilla; 03-27-2012 at 03:43 PM.

So, imagine this, prior to E-Day there's a permanent garrison of Gears who's sole duties are purely ceremonial. They stand guard and parade around looking nice. Then, E-Day hits, and they have to fight. I'm thinking of calling them "The Wodan Guard", lots of reasons why but mainly cause I think it links to the parade of tin soldiers nicely, if slightly obscurely.

Got two of them in a squad, Captain Inigo Montoya and Private Celeste Saint Clair, alongside Sergeant "Tank" McMurphy and Private Danny Carmine. I just like the idea that they're looked down on by other Gears, and yeah, this is a pretty crazy idea.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: UKnowJack

Similar to that of, say the "Queen's Guard," that stand in front of the palace? Even Prescot had the gall to have his “Onyx Guard,” (among other things) despite the need of every able hand available on the front line.

It would be plausible to have some bias between the "christened' field-hardened veterans, and the "posers" whom spent the majority of their military career, standing erect and pretty in front of the palace gates, and had never engaged in a firefight in their life, despite their alleged "elite training." I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. I mean, I wrote about the opposite end of the spectrum, drafting the "lesser compatible" members of the human race to fight; amongst those being some snot-nose, two-seasoned campaigners, tossed into a mix consisting an old cranky warhorse, Pendulum vet (the only one with substantial field experience), a missionary Chaplin, a conscript, and a high-profile felon (murderer and cannibal). Ironically, despite whatever label society has placed upon them, each one discovers' their element in the COG war machine as a functioning and competent Gear.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by TheRealBigBoss View Post
    Captain Inigo Montoya
    You killed my Father... prepare to die.

Gamer IDs

So does this mean you're going to start writing, Boss?

Wouldn't want such a cool idea to get wasted, right?

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zilla Junior

I might be interrupting the flow here (please forgive me! ) but now that I finished my gift work (well most of it, got one last special piece left to do ) I thought I would share the idea I was talking with Boss about - along with a possible comedy piece?

RAAM's Shadow Story

Another entry for the SK Codex, this one is a story set alongside RAAM's shadow. While RAAM and his team go through Ilima to deploy the Seeders, Hakar and his Soul Killer Team are ordered to Ilima by Queen Myrrah, who wants a Cyron scientist exterminated. All she had told the Soul Killers is that "he has information that is deadly to our race", but that's what Myrrah wants them to believe, for what he really knows ties in what the last SK story. (Which will, some day, see the light of day. )

Comedy Idea - Nice job breaking it Baird (Working Title)

Set after Gears of War 3, everyone is repairing the damage (despite the fact that not much was damaged) and the Gears are scavenging anything that may help rebuild Sera. Delta 2 (Cole, Baird, Clayton and Sam) arrive at an abandoned Cyron laboratory collect some parts. However, Baird accidentally re-activates a dormant Cyron A.I. The A.I reveals it's hatred for Humanity and unleashes an army of Cyborgs to wipe out what's left of humanity. So thanks to Baird, humanity is once again on the brink of extinction - only this time, the threat is meaner!

A little bit esoteric, but you never know, it could well be fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonesybites View Post
    Similar to that of, say the "Queen's Guard," that stand in front of the palace? Even Prescot had the gall to have his “Onyx Guard,” (among other things) despite the need of every able hand available on the front line.

It would be plausible to have some bias between the "christened' field-hardened veterans, and the "posers" whom spent the majority of their military career, standing erect and pretty in front of the palace gates, and had never engaged in a firefight in their life, despite their alleged "elite training." I don't think it's a crazy idea at all. I mean, I wrote about the opposite end of the spectrum, drafting the "lesser compatible" members of the human race to fight; amongst those being some snot-nose, two-seasoned campaigners, tossed into a mix consisting an old cranky warhorse, Pendulum vet (the only one with substantial field experience), a missionary Chaplin, a conscript, and a high-profile felon (murderer and cannibal). Ironically, despite whatever label society has placed upon them, each one discovers' their element in the COG war machine as a functioning and competent Gear.
    I wouldn't call them all "posers" as such, like I wouldn't blame them for their lack of combat experience. This was their role, and they fulfilled it. They're the guardians of an ancient fortress/monastery/library type thing known as "The Font" in the center of Ostrose. Before E-Day it was something of a tourist attraction, being of cultural/historical significance. Anyways, Celeste has a really cool Lancer... which I kinda love.

Whatever happened to that story you were working on? I actually remember that.

You killed my Father... prepare to die.
    Lol, it was either that or... Syrio Forel.

Quote Originally Posted by SKORGE View Post
    So does this mean you're going to start writing, Boss?

Wouldn't want such a cool idea to get wasted, right?
    Even if it was written in a kind of half assed way?

Quote Originally Posted by Jay the Arbiter View Post
    I might be interrupting the flow here (please forgive me! ) but now that I finished my gift work (well most of it, got one last special piece left to do ) I thought I would share the idea I was talking with Boss about - along with a possible comedy piece?

RAAM's Shadow Story

Another entry for the SK Codex, this one is a story set alongside RAAM's shadow. While RAAM and his team go through Ilima to deploy the Seeders, Hakar and his Soul Killer Team are ordered to Ilima by Queen Myrrah, who wants a Cyron scientist exterminated. All she had told the Soul Killers is that "he has information that is deadly to our race", but that's what Myrrah wants them to believe, for what he really knows ties in what the last SK story. (Which will, some day, see the light of day.)

Comedy Idea - Nice job breaking it Baird (Working Title)

Set after Gears of War 3, everyone is repairing the damage (despite the fact that not much was damaged) and the Gears are scavenging anything that may help rebuild Sera. Delta 2 (Cole, Baird, Clayton and Sam) arrive at an abandoned Cyron laboratory collect some parts. However, Baird accidentally re-activates a dormant Cyron A.I. The A.I reveals it's hatred for Humanity and unleashes an army of Cyborgs to wipe out what's left of humanity. So thanks to Baird, humanity is once again on the brink of extinction - only this time, the threat is meaner!

Yeah, I remember the RAAM's Shadow story, but, it will feature RAAM, yeah?

The Baird one sounds interesting, you writing Sam? That I would definitely like to see.

So, Baird would unleash Judgment Day? Does anybody in the story say, "I'll be back!"

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zilla Junior

Yeah, I have to work RAAM into it. The Theron Elite, I was thinking of (purely as a Fan idea) that the rank is similar to a Bodyguard or a Secret Serviceman to RAAM. Haar (previous SK) points out that Hakar would be suitable, as they would make a good father and son team. Hakar shrugs off the idea.

---

You know I feel the same the same kind of boiling hatred for her that Jonesy feels around Alex Brand - Does the Skillshot "Stomach Pump" from Bulletstorm sound a suitable way for Sam to... ahem, leave the story?

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Crank Fastle

A new chapter of Shattered World! Done! Posted! The world is going to end! D:

Quote Originally Posted by Jay the Arbiter View Post
    Yeah, I have to work RAAM into it. The Theron Elite, I was thinking of (purely as a Fan idea) that the rank is similar to a Bodyguard or a Secret Serviceman to RAAM. Haar (previous SK) points out that Hakar would be suitable, as they would make a good father and son team. Hakar shrugs off the idea.

---

You know I feel the same the same kind of boiling hatred for her that Jonesy feels around Alex Brand - Does the Skillshot "Stomach Pump" from Bulletstorm sound a suitable way for Sam to... ahem, leave the story?
    I understand Jonesy's "dislike" for Alex, but, I just don't get how anyone could hate Sam.

Quote Originally Posted by RaKais View Post
    A new chapter of Shattered World! Done! Posted! The world is going to end! D:
    And a hello to you too.

Going slightly off the idea of calling the ceremonial/parade Gears "The Wodan Guard", it doesn't seem right somehow. Thinking more along the lines of "The Centennial Guard", like maybe they had some great victory hundreds of years previous and have been living off that glory ever since? I dunno, I'm open to ideas though.

Gamer IDs

Yes Boss, your idea of half-assed isn't as bad as you'd think. So yes, write some please!

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Whatever happened to that story you were working on? I actually remember that.
    It's pending. My USB card disappeared along with two years of research and work, so I bought another one and in the process of salvaging what I had saved on the laptop.

Anyhoot, it's a sound idea; are you planning to begin the story on, or shortly after E-day?

I just don't get how anyone could hate Sam.
    I'm indifferent with Sam because she's just there. Yea, she functions as a soldier, and maybe that was all EPIC simply had her to be, but in the book she was supposed to be in demolitions and they didn't portray any of that in the game...no hand-made pipe bombs, C4, or explosive buck shot shells? C'mon!

Sam's attitude was rather annoying in Anvil Gate, but Karen toned her down in Coalitions End, and thank goodness, she was toned down in the game. Anya was the one however, that kept running into my line of fire, :/ ...and the campaign wouldn't let me kill her.

...and then it takes them two grueling weeks before Baird discovers that all he had to do was remove the AA batteries, or something so ridiculously simple, that afterwords, he's demoted to working as the tiolet paper dispenser in the ladies room. It would be brilliant!

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Exclamation Prometheus' People

From what I describe, what are the personality of Prometheus' people? Damn, I need a name for them; could you help on that too. Here are alot of questions I'd like you guys to answer or at least address for me. How old should the order be, just as old as the Pendulum Wars or older? How many people do you think Prometheus was raised with? What kind of training do you think Prometheus and his colleges went through? What puts Prometheus and his people ahead of others? What do you think Prometheus' People's home was like?

If you can't answer my questions (willing or not), just give me a hint for a path I can begin working toward.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HomemadeWalnuts

Hey there everybody. I'm in the early process of trying to plan out a fan-fic I've been dying to write ever since I've started reading this board, and have hit a fairly tight spot.

I understand that the most important thing about a story are the characters, as they drive the plot and cause the reader to connect, care, and envision themselves in said character's shoes. But characters are the thing I definitely struggle with the most. I have all these ideas of stories and conflicts just floating around in my head ready to be explored and expanded on......but I just can't think of people that are original and interesting enough to place inside of them.

Any writers here have any basic tips which helped them think up some characters they used for their first fan-fictions? I'm really interested in writing a fan-fic over the course of this Summer, and don't want it to become a story with flat and uninteresting characters.

I'm going to keep brainstorming to try and think some things up, but if anyone has any tips, It'd be greatly appreciated.
    Last edited by HomemadeWalnuts; 06-18-2012 at 04:05 PM.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by HomemadeWalnuts View Post
    Hey there everybody. I'm in the early process of trying to plan out a fan-fic I've been dying to write ever since I've started reading this board, and have hit a fairly tight spot.

I understand that the most important thing about a story are the characters, as they drive the plot and cause the reader to connect, care, and envision themselves in said character's shoes. But characters are the thing I definitely struggle with the most. I have all these ideas of stories and conflicts just floating around in my head ready to be explored and expanded on......but I just can't think of people that are original and interesting enough to place inside of them.

Any writers here have any basic tips which helped them think up some characters they used for their first fan-fictions? I'm really interested in writing a fan-fic over the course of this Summer, and don't want it to become a story with flat and uninteresting characters.

I'm going to keep brainstorming to try and think some things up, but if anyone has any tips, It'd be greatly appreciated.
    What's up player? Don't worry, one of our senior staff will be with you shortly. By the way, you could private message a Moderator for a name change.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Croswynd View Post
    Love them. Get to know everything about them. People say my characters are the best parts of my stories. I dunno if I'm good at it or not, but play characters off one another and get to know them through their interactions with others. That's really all I do. Make them talk like you would think they'd talk, respond how they would respond. You have to be someone else long enough to talk to your other characters through that character. And then do it again with someone else.

Ultimately, there's no way to explain it. Practice, practice, practice. Give us a reason to care about them. Give them flaws, make them human. Stuff like that. Don't make someone perfect.
    Cheers, mate. If you need anything else, just send me a message.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HomemadeWalnuts

What's up player? Don't worry, one of our senior staff will be with you shortly. By the way, you could private message a Moderator for a name change.
    I'm fine with the whole username thing....it's just a minor nuisance but hey, it's not that big of a deal.

Anyway, I'm starting to make some progress with the whole thinking up some characters thing. For the few previous ideas I've tried writing about and ultimately scrapped, I used to just write down a few basic character bios and then hop into writing, practically blind. Over time, that left me with similar and boring characters, alongside some pretty poorly written first chapters. This time around, I'm planning on taking stuff slower, and am really trying to take some time to flesh out and think of things before hopping into Word, and so far it's working.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sgt Grub

Quote Originally Posted by Croswynd View Post
    Cheers, mate. If you need anything else, just send me a message.
    Why the hell did you just quote yourself?
    Sent from My Keyboard using My Fingers
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sgt. Grub k1ller View Post
    Why the hell did you just quote yourself?
    Because it answered his question on the last page, Grub.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

From what I describe, what are the personality of Prometheus' people? Damn, I need a name for them; could you help on that too. Here are alot of questions I'd like you guys to answer or at least address for me. How old should the order be, just as old as the Pendulum Wars or older? How many people do you think Prometheus was raised with? What kind of training do you think Prometheus and his colleges went through? What puts Prometheus and his people ahead of others? What do you think Prometheus' People's home was like?

If you can't answer my questions (willing or not), just give me a hint for a path I can begin working toward.
    I'll just leave this here. Again.

I'd suggest trying the simplest method, for each character you write out a list of attributes that best describe them. Like so...

Baird

Smart, witty, sarcastic, vain, arrogant.

Marcus

Stoic, courageous, reserved, noble.

After you have a healthy list of words that best describe the characters, you can flesh them out more by detailing other personality traits.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Trololol Girl

I'm going to agree with TheRealBigBoss, the character attributes listing in a good starting point. It's nice and simple and excellent for getting your character off the ground.

I quite like using full character spread sheets.They are a bit tedious and take a while to fill out but personally, I find they work for me. I like being able to load up an excel or word doc and have all their physical information, personality traits etc all in one place. I'm a horribly disorganized person so it helps me manage my characters and keep track of them when I'm feeling scatter-brained

I'm sorry, but I just don't like Karen Traviss. I don't like her work. Deal with it.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Its also important to remember that the characters are the reader's window into the world. The story is told through them. Never, EVER, put the characters on the sidelines for something else, like action or enviroment. While those are important, at the end of the day, the characters are what people remember.
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

^While at the same time I have to point out, don't re-invent the wheel using the same a-typical persona's as Boss has mentioned earlier. We don't need another stoic, self-reserved hard-ass, Marcus Fenix, or another introverted, chauvinistic a-hole, Damon Baird. Collaberate another "squad" of personalities, backgrounds, ect. Do your research, get inspiration from other genres if need be. We still get a handful of people that insist on recreating the same characters; the only difference is the names.

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Well, Grub's had an idea.

What is the S/C missing as of late? Fanfiction. 'Tis our bread and butter. Right now there's....only one fic open, by Fire, not counting the Monthly Assignment.

So, I think I have an idea for something fun. A collaborated story. Not just something were we all imput ideas, but where we all take turns writing.

"How?" You ask, "Is this possible? The forum isn't exactly formated for this." Well, my astute friend, there's a marelous invention called a Google Document. All you need is a Google account, and you can make one. The Documents can be set so certain people have acces to them, and can edit at will.

SO! I purpose we start a collaborative fic. A team of us writers get together in a Google Doc and discuss what we want. Then we can take turns writing the fic at our leasure. I'd say it should be a short, and perhaps comedic, but it'd be whatever the team decides on.

What do you guys think? Is it a stupid idea? Or one that holds merit?
    STD 4 LYFE
    The Original Grub Killer

Page 33 of 41 FirstFirst ... 233132333435 ... LastLast