Utility (PC) MapMixer 3.00 [RELEASE CANDIDATE 4] [Pics]

Name MapMixer 3.00
    Version Release Candidate 4
    Compatibility UT3 Patch 2.1 [PC ONLY]
    Homepage http://mapmixer.oceaniaut.com
    Download http://mapmixer.oceaniaut.com/index....page=downloads
    Documentation http://mapmixer.oceaniaut.com/index....ixer&page=docs

Description
    MapMixer is a modification for the game Unreal Tournament 3 (a game by Epic Games).

It's designed to give you more control over the way you launch and manage your game session in UT3. At its core it works as a Mutator that hooks into the game, providing its unique management operations, however, it does much more. It replaces the UT3 Main Menu and provides direct links to the MapMixer Menus as well as the standard Settings Menus. MapMixer has been specifically designed from the ground up for both standalone and server environments.

The core philosophy of MapMixer is that each match you play in a game session should not be confined by one set of parameters. In other words, each match in a game session should be allowed its own individual settings, such as Game Type, Map, Rules, Mutators, Player Counts and Bots.

MapMixer provides two methods to launch a game session. The Quick Session allows you to get into the action quickly, whereas the Advanced Session gives you much greater depth in terms of customisation and randomisation. For example, in the Advanced Session, you may like to make each match a little unpredictable by randomising the setup of each match. Perhaps you’d like the Goal Score for Deathmatch to be a random value between 30 and 50, or you’d like a 5% chance that the Big Head Mutator is enabled.

In an Advanced Session, maps can have their own individual default options, either globally or for a specific Gametype. For example, you may like a particular Map to always appear with a certain Mutator or perhaps you’d like to alter the recommended Player Counts for a specific Map across different Gametypes.

MapMixer allows you to customise common settings and easily switch between configurations. With the Advanced Session Menu, you can create Lists of Settings for Rules and Mutators etc. Use the Map List Editor to create a single list of maps combined from various gametypes, individually customising them, or alternatively let MapMixer create your Session Map List by telling it what Map Sources to use and how to select from them.

MapMixer also contains its own independent Faction Management system where you can easily create and manage your own Factions, all in a graphical user interface, with the ability directly customise the look and attributes of each character, or create your own.

Each player in a MapMixer hosted session has access to an in-game Client Menu, that lets them individualise parts of their in-game experience, per user login.

Great care has been taken to support any possible gametype in a generic manner, where no dependancies are created on additonal downloadable content. To support a gametype, all you need do is modify a configuration file, and MapMixer comes pre-configured for use with a number of community gametypes.

MapMixer keeps all its settings completely separate from the game and will not overwrite or harm any original setting.

Screenshots

After approximately 18 months in development, I'm proud to say that I now feel MapMixer 3.00 for UT3 is at a point where I believe it is ready for general public use.

It's been a tough road to travel but a worthwhile one. I hope that this new version of MapMixer for UT3 brings you as much enjoyment as it did for me in its development.

MapMixer 3.00 will stay as a Release Candidate until I am satisfied that there are no major issues. I intend for this to be a short period.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by sinx; 10-09-2009 at 06:44 AM. Reason: Release Candidate 4 is now available

Checked your log file?

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Madcatz75

Awesome!111

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pappiman

YES! I'm gonna test it right now and give feedback as soon as possible.

EDIT:

Okay I have little problem.
    I go to Personal and quickly finish my character then I name my character in User Presents and save it. I went look other settings and came back to Personal and I noticed my saved User Presents are gone.
    Last edited by Pappi_man; 06-07-2009 at 11:52 PM.

Sweet, downloading.
    Losing faith in gamers/people, one forum rant at a time...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Great. It's working fine here. However I must say I only use the quick match option. Now, the map previews stay as I left them. BTW, I'm modifing the frontend to fit my needs and to make it more minimalist. Do you know where can I find the background image. I'd like to disable or to edit it. I've been looking at the files with the editor but cannot find it. Thanx a lot for this program.
    Last edited by Stormrider; 06-07-2009 at 01:04 PM.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    Great. It's working fine here. However I must say I only use the quick match option.
    That's cool - glad that it's useful for you. Just as long as you know what the Advanced Session is for. I use the Quick Session/Match Menu for quickly checking out a Map I've downloaded and I use the Advanced Session Menu for extended play. Although it would be entirely possible to have MapMixer automatically create a Session Map List where I play only the new (unscanned) maps, without having to think about what they were called etc.

Now, the map previews stay as I left them.
    You'll note that I've now since optimised it so it only loads the map preview images being displayed, rather than pre-loading the whole list, which significantly cuts down the initial delay when opening the menu. It makes further scrolls interrupted while the images are being loaded but I think it's the best compromise.

BTW, I'm modifing the frontend to fit my needs and to make it more minimalist. Do you know where can I find the background image. I'd like to disable or to edit it. I've been looking at the files with the editor but cannot find it. Thanx a lot for this program.
    I'm glad to hear you are customising it to your preference. I don't have any documentation on this :C In the last _Public_ Beta the Front End used a background wallpaper - now it uses the background level. You actually have two choices here.

[1] Make your own 3D background level
    The background level is the file "UTFrontEnd_MapMixer.ut3". You need to keep the Character Preview Actor plus the MapMixer Kismet Action.

[2] Completely cover the 3D background level with a wallpaper
    In the UTMapMixerFrontEndUI.ini under the first section [MapMixerFrontEndUI.MapMixerUI_Scene_FrontEnd] you'll find the following

Wallpapers=(sPath="",tOpacity=0)

Add as many as you like here and MapMixer will randomly choose one, eg.

Wallpapers=(sPath="MyPackage.MyGroup.MyTexture1",t Opacity=255)
    Wallpapers=(sPath="MyPackage.MyGroup.MyTexture2",t Opacity=255)

Make sure when you are creating your textures that you assign them to the LODGroup "TEXTUREGROUP_UI" and you also switch on "NeverStream" !

Unfortunately at the moment, because this release is aimed at showing the background level, you will see it briefly before the Main Menu Scene is opened, where your wallpaper will be chosen.

Checked your log file?

Iron Guard

A note for those using UTDom 3.1:

Open your UTMapMixer.ini file and find the two lines beginning with:

Code:
    Aliases=(sURLName="DOMInvMode",sValues=("","bUnlimitedTranslocator=True?bUseTranslocator=True?bUseHoverboard=False","bUnlimitedTranslocator=False?bUseTranslocator=True?bUseHoverboard=False","bUseHoverboard=True"))
    and individually replace both of them with the following line in both places:

Code:
    Aliases=(sURLName="DOMInvMode",sValues=("bUseTranslocator=False?bUseTranslocator=False?bUseHoverboard=False","bUnlimitedTranslocator=True?bUseTranslocator=True?bUseHoverboard=False","bUnlimitedTranslocator=False?bUseTranslocator=True?bUseHoverboard=False","bUseHoverboard=True"))
    This fixes the "Disabled" Inventory Mode not actually doing anything.

Also, there is a known bug with UTDom 3.1 where it won't take notice of the bVehiclesCanCapturePoints URL option.

Checked your log file?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

Wow. Looks very nice. Love Mapmixer, an absolute must have for instant action. Great work Sinx, the quality of your product definitely shows the time you put into it. You might want to announce your release over at BeyondUnreal as well.
    Last edited by TONY[-TOC-]; 06-08-2009 at 08:31 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

First of all, big thanks for this awesome tool! I had to uninstall the previous version because my mouse lagged too much in the menus, but that seems to be fixed now!

Noticed a few thingies, although I have not been using it for too long...
    - I am running the game in Spanish and the menus look a bit weird because all text from the MapMixer's interface is in English, but the names of Gametypes and other stuff remain translated to Spanish. The 'welcome' screens were shown as a blank window (no text at all) until I copied the .int localization file and renamed it to .esn... If you aren't providing .int files for the interface's text (I only found a file with the text from the 'welcome' screens), it might be a good idea to force Localization to INT when you're using MapMixer.
    - The Configure Character screen looks too dark in my comp... Most characters are barely visible [Picture 1]... I am running the game at lowest settings, it probably has something to do with that...
    - Something similar happens in the Main Menu. I can hardly see the portraits and the level screenshot behind the text... [Picture 2]
    - The Player name may go behind the 'Login' and 'Exit' text if it is too long. I fixed it by removing the 'Logged in as' part from the .ini file, but you might want to split that text in 2 lines if possible...
    - The Main Menu says I have 3 new characters but I have not any custom skin installed at all... Might have something to do with some lines I found in the .inis about the three skins included in CBP packs...
    - If you follow the white line with your mouse [Picture 2], the letters in the word 'Exit' won't return to their original position (extremely minor bug... )
    - The default width in the PlayerCount column in the Quick Match window is too small and it can't deal with 10's properly (until you resize it...) [Picture 3]
    - I think it's better to have 'Author' instead of 'Comments' in the Quick Match window, but that might be just me...
    - Not sure if I have pointed this out in a previous version... The zooming-out countdown when a match ends is seeking too much attention IMO. The effect is cool but it makes my eyes go to the top left corner every second and that's not a nice thing! This might also be personal taste anyway...

I think that's all. Got a couple questions about modding the Main Menu:
    - How can you remove the portraits?
    - Is it possible to change the speed the submenus appear to... instant?

Good luck with the final release!
    Portal 2: | Custom Maps |
    Toki Tori: | Custom Maps |
    UT3: | JB-Makoy from UT3 Jailbreak | Grayscaled Loading Screens |
    UT2004: | VCTF-Antropolis | CTF-Opposite | JB-Fragtion2 | JB-Isolated |
    Spanish Localizations: | UT3 | Killing Floor |

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by G.Lecter View Post
    First of all, big thanks for this awesome tool! I had to uninstall the previous version because my mouse lagged too much in the menus, but that seems to be fixed now!
    MapMixer does nothing with the mouse. Most likely something else.

- I am running the game in Spanish and the menus look a bit weird because all text from the MapMixer's interface is in English, but the names of Gametypes and other stuff remain translated to Spanish.
    Because it isn't in Spanish.

The 'welcome' screens were shown as a blank window (no text at all) until I copied the .int localization file and renamed it to .esn... If you aren't providing .int files for the interface's text (I only found a file with the text from the 'welcome' screens), it might be a good idea to force Localization to INT when you're using MapMixer.
    Yes, this is a good point.

- The Configure Character screen looks too dark in my comp... Most characters are barely visible [Picture 1]... I am running the game at lowest settings, it probably has something to do with that...
    Sounds like you're crushing the black level. Looks like you need to raise your brightness. Do a google on "black level crush".

- Something similar happens in the Main Menu. I can hardly see the portraits and the level screenshot behind the text... [Picture 2]
    Fix your Black Level first. You can adjust the opacity of those images (or remove them) - UTMapMixerFrontEndUI.ini.

- The Player name may go behind the 'Login' and 'Exit' text if it is too long. I fixed it by removing the 'Logged in as' part from the .ini file, but you might want to split that text in 2 lines if possible...
    Yes, this is something that had occurred to me but I just left it for now. If you look in the UTMapMixerFrontEndUI.ini file, search for "[OnlineStatus MapMixerUI_PanelStorage_Label]" and in that section you'll find "NormalState=(TextStyle=(fTextScale=0.6"...Mod ify the fTextScale value.

- The Main Menu says I have 3 new characters but I have not any custom skin installed at all... Might have something to do with some lines I found in the .inis about the three skins included in CBP packs...
    Open the Faction Editor and select "[Unassigned Characters]". Your new characters will be listed there, waiting to be assigned to a Faction.

- If you follow the white line with your mouse
    [Picture 2], the letters in the word 'Exit' won't return to their original position (extremely minor bug... )
    Not exactly sure what you mean here. Might need more info.

- The default width in the PlayerCount column in the Quick Match window is too small and it can't deal with 10's properly (until you resize it...) [Picture 3]
    I'll make a note to look at that under different resolutions, but glad you realised you could adjust the column size.

- I think it's better to have 'Author' instead of 'Comments' in the Quick Match window, but that might be just me...
    Those columns have different 'modes'. Simply right-click on them to cycle the display mode. This goes for all columns in the map lists.

- Not sure if I have pointed this out in a previous version... The zooming-out countdown when a match ends is seeking too much attention IMO. The effect is cool but it makes my eyes go to the top left corner every second and that's not a nice thing! This might also be personal taste anyway...
    I remember yes, and totally understandable. I like to give people the choice but I just never got around to doing anything with it. It doesn't bother me as much as it does you but I'll look into it.

- How can you remove the portraits?
    Yes, it was one of those things that I just messed around with and ended up leaving there because anyone can remove them. I'm not that fond of them but they are there to try and indicate what you can do. In the UTMapMixerFrontEndUI.ini file locate the sections near the bottom such as "[FactionRonin MapMixerUI_PanelStorage_SlideShow]". If you remove them, or better still, comment the whole of each section then they won't appear.

- Is it possible to change the speed the submenus appear to... instant?
    In the UTMapMixerFrontEndUI.ini file, locate the section [MainMenu MapMixerUI_PanelStorage_CommandMenu] locate the line beginning with "SubListAnim=(fAnimSeconds=0.5,". Change fAnimSeconds to your desired value, or zero it to mean no animation.

Good luck with the final release!
    Thanks.

PS. Everyone make sure they read the "How to report a bug" section in the text file that is distributed with mapmixer.

Checked your log file?

Quote Originally Posted by G.Lecter View Post
    I managed to get that once when I turned all graphics settings off or to minimum. I'll see what does it. I'm guessing it might only be with some graphics cards Sinx what graphics card do you use?
    A big Necris fan since the first time I got my hands on UT99. Join more Necris fans Here!
    Send in the clowns.The Nitwitts.
    Quote Originally Posted by phalanx View Post
    admin addbots 1
    *Loque joined the game*
    Oh no!!!
    *shuuders at ut99 Loque*

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sounds like you're crushing the black level. Looks like you need to raise your brightness. Do a google on "black level crush".
    Nah, my black level is ok, and I have by brightness set avobe average... It has something to do with the Graphics Settings as Kazimira has pointed. Characters will look black if you set Advanced Video Settings -> Detail Level to Medium or Low...

Fix your Black Level first. You can adjust the opacity of those images (or remove them) - UTMapMixerFrontEndUI.ini.
    The level screenshot behind the text looked a lot better after setting Screen Percentage to 100. Dunno about the portraits since I have removed them already.

Open the Faction Editor and select "[Unassigned Characters]". Your new characters will be listed there, waiting to be assigned to a Faction.
    Yeah, the 3 characters from the CBP packs (Kana, Nova and Rankin) are listed there, but like I said, I have not any custom skin installed so they should not be shown in any list...

Not exactly sure what you mean here. Might need more info.
    Just follow the white line drawn in the pic with your mouse and the Exit text won't reverse its animation. It's anyway an extremely stupid bug not even worth fixing...

Those columns have different 'modes'. Simply right-click on them to cycle the display mode. This goes for all columns in the map lists.
    Aw... Interesting!

Thanks for answering my questions btw...
    Portal 2: | Custom Maps |
    Toki Tori: | Custom Maps |
    UT3: | JB-Makoy from UT3 Jailbreak | Grayscaled Loading Screens |
    UT2004: | VCTF-Antropolis | CTF-Opposite | JB-Fragtion2 | JB-Isolated |
    Spanish Localizations: | UT3 | Killing Floor |

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'd like to have a black background. I've edited UTFrontEnd_MapMixer.ut3 removing all the lights. Then I save the file, but then nothing works. Actually, if I load the map in the editor and just save it without any modification, Mapmixer doesn't work (just shows the map in the background, and nothing else). What am I doin'g wrong? Sorry, but I have no idea how to deal with maps and the editor.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Kazimira View Post
    I managed to get that once when I turned all graphics settings off or to minimum. I'll see what does it. I'm guessing it might only be with some graphics cards Sinx what graphics card do you use?
    It's a pitty that Epic don't have the video level chart in the settings anymore, it was a useful tool to indicate things like brightness, contrast and gamma problems. I understand there are some side-effects when taking detail levels down but when video information is lost, I instantly think there is some 'distortion' happening. When information, whether video or audio is pushed outside the minimum or maximum levels, information is lost and crushing or clipping occurs. Also in video, Contrast sets the difference (eg dymanic range) between the lowest point and the highest point, where brightness sets the base black level. Gamma makes adjustments for any non-linearity in-between. Without seeing this problem in-game myself, all I can see when I look at those pictures is a loss of information near the bottom of the range, which either indicates there's some extreme black level crushing or some very odd gamma (non-linearity) problems.

I'm just using a 9800GTX+ @ 1920x1200 with UT3 set for maximum detail level.

I also have a laptop with a 6800Go in it and even though it runs UT3 in 800x600 with lower detail levels, I don't experience any of these video level problems.

Quote Originally Posted by Stormrider View Post
    I'd like to have a black background. I've edited UTFrontEnd_MapMixer.ut3 removing all the lights. Then I save the file, but then nothing works. Actually, if I load the map in the editor and just save it without any modification, Mapmixer doesn't work (just shows the map in the background, and nothing else). What am I doin'g wrong? Sorry, but I have no idea how to deal with maps and the editor.
    Did you rebuild the lighting?

Checked your log file?

OK mines a Geforce 9600 GS.

Please bare with me it's hard to type at the moment. I cant round it down but I think it may be one of the check boxes that does it.
    A big Necris fan since the first time I got my hands on UT99. Join more Necris fans Here!
    admin addbots 1
    *Loque joined the game*
    Oh no!!!
    *shuuders at ut99 Loque*

Iron Guard

OK mines a Geforce 9600 GS.

Please bare with me it's hard to type at the moment. I cant round it down but I think it may be one of the check boxes that does it.
    Sure, let me know if you find out anything further.

Checked your log file?

I'll see what I can do but please dont expect me to sort this quickly. Bug reports plus painkillers do not mix as I lerned before. I'm lerning now that bug reports plus exma on my hands dosent mix ether.

Anyone know if it's possable to play UT3 with your chin?
    admin addbots 1
    *Loque joined the game*
    Oh no!!!
    *shuuders at ut99 Loque*

MSgt. Shooter Person

First of all Id like to say thanks for this awesome tool for UT3.

Anyways, ever since I installed MapMixer 3 RC something got messed up in the bots AI. even at average or experienced levels the bots are very hard to beat. if I delete the config folder and play the game without MapMixer, the AI returns to the way it used to be at those levels.

Another small thing - sometimes after a map loads, MapMixer pops up a box that says its loading the bots, why the extra loading time for the bots?...
    Intel C2D E8400@3.6GHz | nVidia 9800GTX+ | G.Skill DDR2 4GB | Samsung T220 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pappiman

Quote Originally Posted by VClouds View Post
    Anyways, ever since I installed MapMixer 3 RC something got messed up in the bots AI. even at average or experienced levels the bots are very hard to beat. if I delete the config folder and play the game without MapMixer, the AI returns to the way it used to be at those levels.

Another small thing - sometimes after a map loads, MapMixer pops up a box that says its loading the bots, why the extra loading time for the bots?...
    Weird.. I don't have those problems.

It's to make shure models are loaded and theres no more demoguy bug. it's an extra mesure against it I think.
    admin addbots 1
    *Loque joined the game*
    Oh no!!!
    *shuuders at ut99 Loque*

Iron Guard

You can look in the Launch.log file and have a look at the URL that the match was launched with, it will contain an option "Difficulty". You can check that value with and without mapmixer to compare.

On that note, and perhaps not entirely related, I've seen a fair few custom bots that people have made available for download where the AI attributes are way out of the min and max limits, which results in information loss as the values are clipped by UT3 and you end up with a whole load of over powerful bots, all with the same attribute values (ie max). You can easily see this by looking in the Faction Editor - where you can also correct them.

By default, UT3 makes the assumption that you will start your first match with a particular set of bots and continue each following match with the same ones. MapMixer allows you to redefine your bot selection per match, so it needs to prompt UT3 to load them at the beginning of each match. The loading dialogue opens to let you know why there is game pausing occurring. Subsequent loads of the same character will be quicker if there is enough memory and it has been retained in memory.

Checked your log file?

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is, always was, and always shall be, the BEST mod out there. UT3 is a mess without it.

Any Epic guys reading this, give this fella a job!
    VCTF - Aggressive Alleys 3
    HOT WET PRO - MSUC Phase 3 Finalist

BeaZombie.com - Be A Zombie in a low budget UK horror film, all profits going to charity!

Chainsaw Films

MSgt. Shooter Person

I Second This!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ChainsawFilms View Post
    This is, always was, and always shall be, the BEST mod out there. UT3 is a mess without it.

Any Epic guys reading this, give this fella a job!
    I also noted the bot AI seems to be tougher with Mapmixer. I usually play against Masterful bots, but the Mapmixer seems to make them a tad more "masterful". However, I did not delete any ini files, just went to the stock UT3 menu from link on the Mapmixer screen and launched a game from there. Skill levels returned to the usual. This minor issue affected both listen server games and offline games. Nothing I can't live with.

I just got to get better!!

Thank you very much for Mapmixer, Sinx!!!
    Last edited by Thelios; 06-10-2009 at 07:37 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Damn dis is great i love the Model select view more than anything and it feels like a UT UI more than anything now!!! thanx so much for your time and work!!!
    Holy S**t

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Thelios View Post
    I also noted the bot AI seems to be tougher with Mapmixer. I usually play against Masterful bots, but the Mapmixer seems to make them a tad more "masterful". However, I did not delete any ini files, just went to the stock UT3 menu from link on the Mapmixer screen and launched a game from there. Skill levels returned to the usual. This minor issue affected both listen server games and offline games. Nothing I can't live with.

I just got to get better!!
    Glad to see i'm not the only one who noticed this.

Quote Originally Posted by sinx View Post
    You can look in the Launch.log file and have a look at the URL that the match was launched with, it will contain an option "Difficulty". You can check that value with and without mapmixer to compare.
    Checked it like you said and there is a difference!
    Played two identical setting matches of Betrayal-Gateway with 16 bots on the Experienced bots difficulty, one with MapMixer enabled and one with it disabled.

the MapMixer Launch.log reads: "Difficulty=3.0000"
    the normal Launch.log reads: "Difficulty=2"

Quote Originally Posted by sinx View Post
    By default, UT3 makes the assumption that you will start your first match with a particular set of bots and continue each following match with the same ones. MapMixer allows you to redefine your bot selection per match, so it needs to prompt UT3 to load them at the beginning of each match. The loading dialogue opens to let you know why there is game pausing occurring. Subsequent loads of the same character will be quicker if there is enough memory and it has been retained in memory.
    Thanks for the explanation.
    Intel C2D E8400@3.6GHz | nVidia 9800GTX+ | G.Skill DDR2 4GB | Samsung T220 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64

In the character customization screen I can't use F9 to take screenshots. I can type in the screenshot command in the console, but I cannot seem to set any binds for it.

I have to use printscreen then paste in a image editor to get screenies

Banned

Fantastic work, Sinx. As far as bot difficulty goes, it looks like VCloud has found the answer. No problem here, as I don't mind hand-editing the map list file & setting the bot difficulty level to the one that I want.

Found a small problem. I deleted a custom character and the Customchar.ini so that it'll recreate itself and be clean. When I go and try to create a new characte mapmixer gets stuck on the loading screen forever. You can luckily press esc to cancel.

Think the problem is there's no default character for it to load if the previous one you had is missing.

Iron Guard

OK, I have a problem... When MM is scanning the maps (for the first time, after install), it sometimes actually opens a map instead of merely scanning it. You can't start a normal match on these maps (you can fly around though), and the only way to get out is by restarting the PC. This has already happened 3 times, with 300 or so maps still to go (out of 540 total). Is this a known issue, and is there some kind of fix besides deleting the maps in question? This way it could take hours, and potentially dozens of deleted maps, before I get through the scanning process.
    If it can't be modded, it ain't worth ****.

Iron Guard

Checked it like you said and there is a difference!
    Played two identical setting matches of Betrayal-Gateway with 16 bots on the Experienced bots difficulty, one with MapMixer enabled and one with it disabled.

the MapMixer Launch.log reads: "Difficulty=3.0000"
    the normal Launch.log reads: "Difficulty=2"
    I bet that's due to some changes introduced in the later patches - one of those things I never got round to looking at. Thanks for digging that one out! I've put it on my list of things to take a look at. If I find anything, I'll adjust it for Release Candidate 2.

Quote Originally Posted by HideInLight View Post
    Found a small problem. I deleted a custom character and the Customchar.ini so that it'll recreate itself and be clean. When I go and try to create a new characte mapmixer gets stuck on the loading screen forever. You can luckily press esc to cancel.

Think the problem is there's no default character for it to load if the previous one you had is missing.
    I have often deleted my UTCustomChar.ini file, in order to have UT3 re-create it - especially in testing, and haven't come across this issue (assuming I understand you correctly). What would be best is if you could file a proper bug report, and email it to me. Please take a look at the text file that is distributed with Release Candidate 1, for a list of what I require for a bug report. It just makes it easier for me. Thanks. In fact if anyone has a problem, I would appreciate a bug report in this fashion, as it helps me to properly collect the information I need - and I'm more likely to actually take a look at it

Quote Originally Posted by 4TX4 View Post
    OK, I have a problem... When MM is scanning the maps (for the first time, after install), it sometimes actually opens a map instead of merely scanning it. You can't start a normal match on these maps (you can fly around though), and the only way to get out is by restarting the PC. This has already happened 3 times, with 300 or so maps still to go (out of 540 total). Is this a known issue, and is there some kind of fix besides deleting the maps in question? This way it could take hours, and potentially dozens of deleted maps, before I get through the scanning process.
    The map scanning process has always been somewhat problematic. It's a real pain that it has to take place in the first instance - I have a better explanation on the web site. It's a huge cost in terms of time, simply for just player counts and author. It would have been so much simpler if Epic had structured the UTUIDataProvider_MapInfo classes in better fashion than just allowing for a single character string called "NumPlayers", which in my experience can often contain anything - and also included an author string.

Generally speaking, now days, I don't have a problem with the map scanning process on my PC - but that doesn't mean that others aren't going to! When MapMixer begins the Map Scan process, it logs you out of the online subsystem, which used to cause some major issues (it prompts for manual login at the end of the process). If you really have issues with scanning a map, you can fill out the Map Recommended Player Counts and Map Author manually for the maps in the UTMapMixer_MapDatabase.ini file - although this isn't much fun for those with a large collection. (You'd have to manually translate the details - *if present* - from the author's Map ini file.) If you're wondering why MapMixer doesn't do this itself then it simply can't because there is no guarantee what sort of data will be in there (please read the link given above). So at the end of the day, I don't like it as much as everyone else but there's little choice other than to fill out the details yourself manually in the UTMapMixer_MapDatabase.ini file :S

...thanks to all those giving their encouragement and your welcome!

Edit: and backup your UTMapMixer_MapDatabase.ini file regularly!
    Last edited by sinx; 06-11-2009 at 07:02 PM.

Checked your log file?

Iron Guard

Ok, I've just confirmed that MapMixer is launching the game with a +1.00 difficulty, which was due to a change in UT3 Patch 3.0, that I hadn't made any re-adjustments for.

Apologies to everyone for this, and I'll have it fixed for RC2. Thanks.

Checked your log file?

MSgt. Shooter Person

No need for apologies sinx. looking forward to RC2.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hello again Mr. Sinx.

Just as in UT2004, this looks very nice, giving it a try.

I've been messing around with getting it to work on my server, and I'm confused on how to set up my map list (same as rules lists, etc). Do I have to set it up offline, and then FTP the UTMapMixer_ListsMaps.ini, or is there a way to do it online thru menus or whatnot? Or maybe a command like the AdminPublishMapList one?

I already had a map list set up via the webadmin, but when I hit the Navigate Next / Previous map buttons in my client menu, nothing is showing up. (but when I hit Show Current Map, I see the current map).

Edit: Well, I was getting Show Current Map to work, now for some reason it's not doing anything. Not sure what's changed.

Also, glad to see the option to change your nick. Is that going to work for us online too? So everyone can play as whatever name they want AND have other folks see us that way too?

Thanks for the hard work.

Edit: I'm getting some crashes when using this online, when I hit my Escape key, and then hit Disconnect. This was after removing all my other mutators in order to try to find issues with compatibility.
    Last edited by R.Flagg; 06-12-2009 at 11:38 AM.
    Sentient Goo

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by R.Flagg View Post
    I've been messing around with getting it to work on my server, and I'm confused on how to set up my map list (same as rules lists, etc). Do I have to set it up offline, and then FTP the UTMapMixer_ListsMaps.ini, or is there a way to do it online thru menus or whatnot? Or maybe a command like the AdminPublishMapList one?
    Currently the only way to setup a maplist for a remote dedicated server is to do it offline and upload the relevant ini files to the server. If there were more of me and they all had more time then I'd look at another solution You can switch predefined map lists in-game or setup predefined multiple source-lists and switch between then in-game. You can see what the currently available MapMixer console commands are by typing "mutate mm help". I realise that it's a pain to have to setup everything offline and copy to the server but I just don't have time to do anything friendlier.

I already had a map list set up via the webadmin, but when I hit the Navigate Next / Previous map buttons in my client menu, nothing is showing up. (but when I hit Show Current Map, I see the current map).
    MapMixer totally replaces the UT3 Map List system with its own and is not compatible with the map lists setup via the UT3 WebAdmin. This is a big step to take and I didn't do this without giving it some serious thought, however it was the only way for me to implement all the features I wanted to. MapMixer brings some large paradigm changes to UT3 and it just worked best for me to start from scratch.

Edit: Well, I was getting Show Current Map to work, now for some reason it's not doing anything. Not sure what's changed.
    On the client you can type the following into the console:

mutate mm showmap
    mutate mm shownextmap

That's a good starting point to see if MapMixer has been correctly initialised on the client. Although you can bind this manually yourself, you can access it in more easily in the Client Menu in the 'Keys' tab.

Also, glad to see the option to change your nick. Is that going to work for us online too? So everyone can play as whatever name they want AND have other folks see us that way too?
    To be totally honest here, I haven't had a chance to do any real online multi-player testing lately - simply because I don't have time. However, when I'm programming, my mindset is that I design things so they at least in theory should work online - that's important! If only I had more time. When you're a one-man show and have a full-time job, it's difficult to put time into every facet of testing. I guess that's why I rely upon everyone for testing in every environment and I especially rely upon quality bug reporting, which unfortunately I don't get a lot of, making it difficult. If I were a game production company then there would be the resources for that sort of thing. The only thing I like people to remember is that, like I said, I purposefully design things with online in mind because it is not something you can simply add at a later date! You can't build a house and then decide to change the foundations at a later date.

Thanks for the hard work.
    You're welcome!

Edit: I'm getting some crashes when using this online, when I hit my Escape key, and then hit Disconnect. This was after removing all my other mutators in order to try to find issues with compatibility.
    How often would you say this happens? I have noticed that even in offline matches, I get the very occasional crash when returning to the Main Menu, which is normally a good sign of a garbage collection problem due to actor references that need to be manually dereferenced - although I'm usually pretty careful with this. I'm still looking into this as I can't find a triggering factor at the moment.

Checked your log file?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Trust me sir, I understand completely. Quality testing - just like quality coding (or mapping, or modeling, etc) - takes a tremendous amount of time, and attention to detail. It requires huge patience, and a willingness to spend long hours repeating steps with minor variations while trying to find triggers, and so forth. And I know all too well how hard it is to find folks willing to commit themselves to that kind of monotony. Been there, done that. Hell, I've already spent a couple of hours on this, and have barely scratched the surface. Anyway...

I uploaded some of the MM ini files I had created offline, and now I have a (semi)working map list to work with. I can hit the client menu, and under the Maps tab, there is now a list. Cool. Progress.

I think maybe part of my problem before was that there was no "next / previous" map for MM to read, so there was nothing for it to show. But now that there is a list, it's working better. However, I think there is possibly a combination of issues, which made things even more confusing.

First of all, for at least three times in a row now (but not every time), the ShowCurrentMap and Navigate Next/Previous Map keys will not display anything on my screen - for the 1st map after I have joined the server. After I switch maps once, then they are showing up.

BUT... to make this more complicated, there is another issue at play here. Look at these pictures...

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

First pic shows that I created a map list. Second pic shows how it looks in my client menu offline. But the third pic shows how that same list looks in my client menu when I am online. Notice how some of the map names aren't being displayed in the list. Well, I just happened to notice that those same maps are ones where my ShowCurrentMap key will not display anything. And.., when I am going through the list using the Navigate Previous / Next Map keys, those are the ones that will not display anything on my screen.

Now, the Navigate Previous / Next keys still work with those maps ..., in that I can still Switch to them. They just won't give me a display in the lower right corner like the rest will do.

Now if I could just figure out why those particular maps are doing that...

Simple, huh?

Oh yeah, I do think that my client was being 'properly initialized', or however it was that you put that, because I can log in as admin, and my client menu changes to show the Match and Maps tabs, so I think the problem lies elsewhere.

As far as the crashing when leaving game, off top of my head I'd say it's been roughly 50% of the time in the last couple hours. I dunno, at least 5 or 6 crashes in maybe a dozen disconnects.

I still need to figure out how to get my game type rules and mutator lists to take affect. I have uploaded some ini files, but still need to figure out how to tie it all in.

I'm not sure what your situation is, but if having admin access to a (rented) dedicated server helps you in any way, I can hook you up on mine, no sweat. Sadly, I'm pretty much the only one using it lately. I enjoy playing CarryTheFlag / Classic VCTF on it, and am ever-hopeful others will join. But anyway, just tossing that out there, mi casa es tu casa. You may have that covered, but hey, you never know. Doesn't hurt to offer.
    Sentient Goo

If you get the server running with mapmixer online I'll help test it just i'm kind of limited in when and how much I can do at the moment.
    admin addbots 1
    *Loque joined the game*
    Oh no!!!
    *shuuders at ut99 Loque*

MSgt. Shooter Person

If you get the server running with mapmixer online ...
    Sure, here's one

open 66.55.142.67:7777?password=cut3

At the moment it's not the only thing on there though. And I'm still trying to figure it all out. But it's there.

There are other mutators I wish to run all the time (Carry the Flag, ClassicVCTF, and more), and I'm trying to figure out if I can do so with MapMixer and not have issues. And whether or not I can start the server with MapMixer as only mut in the command line, and have it automagically set the rest of my mutators and game rules and whatnot.

I have created a 'custom' game type offline, and applied rules and mut list to it and so forth, so offline it's kosher. Anyway, anyone is welcome.

Sinx, I notice there is the ability to actually LogOff / LogIn while in the middle of an online game? Not that I know what I'm talking about, but that seems odd. Not sure exactly what I'm to do with that tab in the client menu. Is it supposed to be a way to keep a list of your 'favorite' servers and move from one to another?
    Sentient Goo

Quote Originally Posted by R.Flagg View Post
    Sinx, I notice there is the ability to actually LogOff / LogIn while in the middle of an online game? Not that I know what I'm talking about, but that seems odd. Not sure exactly what I'm to do with that tab in the client menu. Is it supposed to be a way to keep a list of your 'favorite' servers and move from one to another
    I hope this feature lets me log in and log in and get back in game quickly when I get dissconected.
    admin addbots 1
    *Loque joined the game*
    Oh no!!!
    *shuuders at ut99 Loque*

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here's another one;

http://chaotic.beyondunreal.com/temp/mm4.bmp

It says current map Sandstorm, but it's actually Artemisa. Is it possible that it got confused because I went to WebAdmin to remove MapMixer, and played a couple matches, than went back to webadmin, and added MapMixer back?

Reason I did that was because I wanted to test another issue I am seeing. It seems like if I have MM active, and finish the match, and just let it change maps on it's own, all my other active mutators are removed. Only MM is left active.

So that's when I went to webadmin and removed MM and tried a few matches just to make sure, and all my other mutators remained active through a few matches. Went back to webadmin and added MM back in, and sure enough, soon as first match ended, my other mutators were removed again when next match loaded up.

Might need to tell admins to turn off voting when using this, unless you can have MM override it or turn it off somehow. Because I still had voting turned on via webadmin, and at end of rounds I'm getting two 'countdowns', the one in left hand corner for MM, and the other one for voting that you normally get. Not a big deal I guess to turn off the voting option - assuming admins are cool with that - just something to mention.
    Sentient Goo

Iron Guard

I'm right in the middle of re-building the storage system on my PC atm, so I don't have a lot of time right now but here's a couple of things for the moment:

[1] In the Client Menu, the button at the bottom left is your Gamespy login.
    [2] In the Client Menu, the tab 'login' refers to the match admin login, so it will automatically log you in as Admin on a server, for each map on a particularl server
    [3] As for the maps not being shown correctly, you're going to have to give me log files and all your setup ini files for me to at least begin work out what the correct result should be. I'll assume you don't have any sort of shuffling mode enabled for the map list in the Setup Tab. If you do then it's going to be different each time.

I'll be around a little more once I re-build my new RAID5 array and transfer all the old stuff across

Checked your log file?

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast