Map - Deathmatch (PC/PS3) DM-Q3DM7 Quake 3 remake [ Beta 1]

Name:
    DM-Q3DM7 - Temple of Retribution

Version:
    Beta 1 - First release

Compatibility:
    PC only for the time being.

Description:
    The most popular TDM map brought up to date. Hopefuly it keeps the gameplay of the original.

Comments:
    I started this about 16 months ago after finishing DM-Campgrounds]i[, but never finished it.. Now I finally got around to releasing beta 1.
    Things I'd especially like comments on, (add your own things too! ):
    - Do you like the pickup distribution? (They are similarish to the Quake 3 version)
    - Player starts seem balanced?
    - Are the extra scenery things over the top? (Laser beams under the floor especially)
    - Is the sky ok? (It's similar to how Quake 3 was)
    - Are the sounds too loud/too quiet

Enjoy!

Screenshots:
    http://www.btinternet.com/~creepyd/DM7/

Download:
    http://files.filefront.com/DM+Q3DM7+.../fileinfo.html

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Crayfis

Added to the list!

Remeber to link to Campgrounds ]I[ in your signature, so that people know you are the same guy

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thought you were dead, m8
    ~~ addicted to Unreal Tournament since 1999 ~~
    Games should be about having a good time, amusing yourself, and trash talking with your friends. -Kevin Bowen (GameSpy.com)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hehe, same faces here. nice to see your still here
    Just I stopped playing UT3 when CTF died and was frustrated at my skills not being what they once were.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Got chance to have a run around this today Creepy and its looking great so far. I am not overly familiar with the origonal map, but by co-incidence, I played it for the first time on Quake Live just yesterday!
    Right away it feels familiar, and proportioning feels great. One of the reasons people like your DM6 so much is because of the proportioning, and it seems you've got it down here again.
    I really like the fact you have a recognisable style, this feels like its part of the same strorm battered space colony as you DM6, and that will help with getting the map noticed.
    Your ambient sound work is excellent, especialy where you have all the glowing energy channels. Speaking of the energy channels, those areas look great, with that bluey purple neon glow. I think a major improvement to the map would be to work more of those underfloor features and glowing trims around the map, since some areas feel very desaturated and monotone. You really know your stuff with that kind of detailing already so I wont bother giving any specific examples.
    Really looking forward to further work on this. Keep us posted in the thread k.
    Nice work

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the great detailed feedback
    Will give it a go at the weekend I think. Wont go overboard, but yeah I see what you mean about the trim energy parts.
    My main aim was to make it feel like a proper working facility that just happens to be used for deathmatch, so will try to link bits together a little more to get that feel even more.
    Oh yea, what do you think of the sound at the blue death energy bit down the pit? I really struggled to find anything that fit and used a mish-mash of sounds in the end. Maybe I'll import a custom sound for that.

Anyone else have any feedback? Anything will do good or bad

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

It was the sound in the pit I was mainly talking about. You have it set up really nicely with the timings and everything. Great work.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Creepy, were you aware that you Camp ]I[ is beiing used in the Clanbase Spring TDM 2v2OpenCup?!
    http://clanbase.ggl.com/news_league....2219&lid=8771#
    The map is a favourite among the pro level players. If you pester the Clanbase UT3 organiser, they may be able to give you some Server-Side demo recordings too

MSgt. Shooter Person

I had no idea! I did try to push it for the 4v4 TDM open cup last year (one I was playing in), but didn't manage to get it in.
    Thanks for that, you've made my day

Not had time to work on DM7 yet, am hung over today and not quite up to it. Will get around to it

MSgt. Shooter Person

i just love Q3A remakes
    thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person

this map brings so many memories with my brothers
    Last edited by TwelVeR; 06-29-2009 at 11:13 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Excellent
    Been so busy I've not done any work on it since this release.
    Having said that, it seems it doesn't need too much doing to it really!

MSgt. Shooter Person

hey can u remake Q3DM12 - Dredwerkz?
    its the second best map in quake 3

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think this will be my last UT3 map once I release it, I have way too much other stuff going on, and it's not easy converting these maps as the quake 3 editor is pretty crap!

MSgt. Shooter Person

i want to convert the map but i tried the Tutorial: Chonglee export and it didnt work!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well for my 2 remakes, I didn't export anything.
    I simply had the Q3 editor open alongside UED and basically copied what I saw.
    Lots of work, but I'm happy with the result

Redeemer

Thumbs up very good beta!

Um, so this was never finalized? Anyway, I always loved the original Q3 map and the UT version is good but the bots tend to congregate around two spots and get stuck a little in one of them. This UT3 version is extremely futuristic (totally different greenish look like a Borg ship)with some changed weapon and item spots and I like the blue lightning/plasma in place of the lava. Also noticed you changed the transporter location and added a route underneath (unless I missed that in the Q3 version). To answer your questions: 1) the pickup distribution is slightly different, but better than the UT version and i like it, 2) the player starts seem balanced to me, 3) love the extra scenery and I consider it cool UT3 upgrades and I don't think it's over the top at all, 4) the sky is awesome (black/white clouds), 5) the sound is perfect and I like the energy channels and blue glow.

EDIT: at least your bots were better than the ones in that UT version, yikes!
    Last edited by SkaarjMaster; 05-01-2012 at 10:07 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm glad I subscribed to this thread or I would have missed this.
    Thanks for the great comments and I'm glad you like it.

It is true that I never finalized it though unfortunately.
    I was making it as part of a mod, which died off shortly before finishing, and UT3 itself was flagging a bit.

I did try, but just couldn't get the bots to behave themselves, and after many posts asking for help on forums, I had to give up.
    Having said that, people were generally happy with the map as it was, I think it's pretty balanced - gameplay was always the most important thing here, and I copied the general feel from the Campgrounds map I also converted over to UT3.
    For multiplayer purposes the beta could be considered finished.

I've not touched UT3 for a few years now and wouldn't really have the know how to finalize the map.

Just loaded up UT3 myself (funny it just worked without reinstalling) - I impressed myself with my own map here having not seen it for 3 years!