Version 1.00
    Last update 15/05/09
    Cooked with UT3 2.1

Filename: DM-Aelon
    Author: DeathoX 8 (a.k.a. XYZ 8000)

================================
    Description

This map is a rather tight Duel map. I don't recommend playing it with more than 3 players, since the layout is pretty small.

This map is the remake of my Unreal Tournament GotY map DM-LP-Aelon, included in the Low Poly Map Pack 2. The layout has been altered a bit, and of course the difference in the visuals is abysimal.

Most of the map has been built with custom meshes, made with Blender. I tried to make a good looking map, while still keeping a good gameplay, visibility and performance.

I also tried to get an old Unreal feeling in this map. Aside from the evergreen tarydium crystals, I tried to make a pretty colorful map and to use many volumetrics to create a pretty nice "oldskool" atmosphere.

If you get some slowdowns (you shouldn't get any, though. The map is pretty light) or if you just want a cleaner looking map turn the detail level to Low to get rid of the grass, the particle effects and some other details.

Enjoy

Credits

Thanks to Hourences for the gravel texture I used in the map, taken from the
    HourKraden texture pack.

Thanks to Bantis, Cr4zyB4st4rd, Ignotium, Minifloppy, RennyManJr, Slainchild and Vybz for feedback and help during map development.

ScreenShots

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Download

http://www.DeathoX8.com/Maps/DM-Aelon.html#Download
    Last edited by XYZ8000; 03-23-2011 at 07:15 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

looks realy good!,
    only one question why is every one always making minerals submit light?
    downloading when i get home.
    TriggerHappy!
    Maps that I made, Some require a MOD te be downloaded.
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 DM-Focus-SE
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 CTF4-AnubisResurrection
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 DM-Xiao
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 DOM-Contrast + MOD Domination
    Forum^: Download: PC/PS3 RenX-Islands + MOD RenegadeX
    Mess with the best! Die like the rest! Boom HèadShøt!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ZixXer View Post
    The original Unreal game taught me that

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by XYZ8000 View Post
    The original Unreal game taught me that
    Eheheheh, we are nostalgic

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is a very cool little duel map, it has a nice fluent layout and the terrain is refreshing compared to what is usually architectural in these sorts of maps.

I'm not sure if I like players spawning on weapons though.
    I also noticed an odd collision issue near the waterfall.

Great stuff, potential prize winner!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for comments, glad you liked it

The players indeed spawn very close to the weapons, I prefer to place the Playerstarts that way since this map is pretty tight and it's very useful to immediately have something to defend yourself with after spawning (otherwise it's pretty easy to spawnrape someone when playing with 3 players).
    Collisions are a bit strange sometimes due to the highly irregular shape of the cave, I tried to make it as smooth as possible but chances are that I missed a spot...

Marrow Fiend
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: U1 849 K A

Quote Originally Posted by ZixXer View Post
    looks realy good!,
    Tarydium.
    It's basically the Imulsion of the Unreal world. An extremely sought-after crystaline mineral that can power just about anything. The Skaarj enslaved the entire Nali race in Unreal 1 to get it. It's a blue crystaline mineral that emits a dim glow.
    MAP MIXER 3.00 Final! UT ain't complete without it.
    Does any one know where the love of God goes When the waves turn the minutes to hours?
    The searchers all say they'd have made Whitefish Bay If they'd put fifteen more miles behind 'er.
    They might have split up or they might have capsized; They may have broke deep and took water.
    And all that remains is the faces and the names Of the wives and the sons and the daughters.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Juggargnome3000

"The original Unreal game taught me that"

good call
    "Their sword will become our plow, and from the tears of war the daily bread of future generations will grow."

MSgt. Shooter Person

A little up just to say that the PS 3 version will be a little delayed, right now I have problems cooking for the PS 3 ("Can't load GlobalPersistentPS3CookerData.upk" or something like that...). I'm doing a little research and I will try to provide a PS 3 version as soon as possible (same goes for my other recently released map DM-Phyos-SE).

Iron Guard

You're not the only one having issues with cooking for the PS3. It currently has issues especially if your map contains content from the Titan Pack (I'm having issues, too).

Nice work, BTW.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by jayoplus View Post
    You're not the only one having issues with cooking for the PS3. It currently has issues especially if your map contains content from the Titan Pack (I'm having issues, too).

Nice work, BTW.
    Thanks

I don't recall using any Titan content in the map (I used some standard UN stuff and some Envy mixed with some HU...), I hope that they didn't change the content of the Envy packages though as I made pretty heavy usage of textures in there. But I'm pretty sure that the Titan content was stored in external packages.
    The error from the cooking doesn't seem related to the Titan pack files though, it looks like it can't find the information on how to cook the map... weird :/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Any progress on the Ps3 cook yet?
    Seeing Arise and Bonescraper, I can't wait fot this one.

Quote Originally Posted by Kev_Boy View Post
    This is a very cool little duel map, it has a nice fluent layout and the terrain is refreshing compared to what is usually architectural in these sorts of maps.
    Agreed. XYZ8000 knows game play and this map doesn't disappoint. Granted it's a tight map, but that makes you pay attention a bit more. I can see this being a nice 1on1 map. The nature theme is refreshing to see as well.

On a side note, is it hard to get models from Blender to the editor?

I also noticed an odd collision issue near the waterfall.
    This is not an issue with the cave, but another static mesh (StaticMeshACtor_562) that is causing the issue (which is pretty big problem since it's right in the middle of a populated place). I would also remove all collision for the water falls too.

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose having the BSP above the map?

But I'm pretty sure that the Titan content was stored in external packages.
    From what I can tell, all of it is stored in the UT3G folder inside the CookedPC folder. You might want to try reinstalling Frontend. After I installed the 2.0 patch, I had issues cooking for the PS3, reinstalled FE and it worked perfectly.

Looking forward to a 1.1 version to fix those collision issues to make this very nice map even better.

Just tested, nice visual, gj !

I like the subtil effect with the Udamage

I was a bit disapointed by the layout at the first time but after playing a bit, it's cool !
    And I think this map is definitively for duel only.

I have notice some odd collisons trouble with the cave mesh on some place, but nothing really important.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the review Firefly, and thanks for the comments to the others

Quote Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
    On a side note, is it hard to get models from Blender to the editor?
    It's very easy, you just have to set up the materials (assign an image to the UV maps) and then use the Goofos ASE exporter to export the mesh in .ase format (which can be read by Ued). The only trouble right now is that this exporter script doesn't support UCX objects, so the collisions of the meshes have to be either per-poly or generated in Ued.

This is not an issue with the cave, but another static mesh (StaticMeshACtor_562) that is causing the issue (which is pretty big problem since it's right in the middle of a populated place). I would also remove all collision for the water falls too.

Out of curiosity, what's the purpose having the BSP above the map?
    Yeah, there are some meshes that still have projectile collision . Also the two other "haze" meshes in the other rooms have proj collision, unfortunately this map's testing phase was very short so I missed some little things (or not so little, in case of the "haze" collisions - yay for rockets exploding in your face when you jump down from the tunnel on the side of the waterfall). I will shoot around more when I will test my future maps...

The BSP above the map is used to block the lighting, so that the mesh below doesn't get lit. The cave mesh uses vertex lighting, so without the BSP there would have been some vertexs lit by the "sunlight" in places where I didn't want to (mostly the decoration tunnels).

From what I can tell, all of it is stored in the UT3G folder inside the CookedPC folder. You might want to try reinstalling Frontend. After I installed the 2.0 patch, I had issues cooking for the PS3, reinstalled FE and it worked perfectly.

Looking forward to a 1.1 version to fix those collision issues to make this very nice map even better.
    I reinstalled the whole game and now the cooking seems to work, so there should be a PS 3 version for this and for Phyos-SE very soon . The PS 3 version will have the collisions fixed.
    I will do a fixed version also for the PC, not only for the collisions but I'm going to change a bit of stuff too. I'm very very busy in RL right now, so it will take some time...

It's very easy, you just have to set up the materials (assign an image to the UV maps) and then use the Goofos ASE exporter to export the mesh in .ase format (which can be read by Ued). The only trouble right now is that this exporter script doesn't support UCX objects, so the collisions of the meshes have to be either per-poly or generated in Ued.
    Gotcha, one day I will take another crack at Blender and try to make my own meshes.

The BSP above the map is used to block the lighting, so that the mesh below doesn't get lit. The cave mesh uses vertex lighting, so without the BSP there would have been some vertexs lit by the "sunlight" in places where I didn't want to (mostly the decoration tunnels).
    Gotcha!

I will do a fixed version also for the PC, not only for the collisions but I'm going to change a bit of stuff too. I'm very very busy in RL right now, so it will take some time...
    Will be waiting for the improved version. I am actually "improving" my first map for this game (which I about a year ago).

God King

Did some 1on1 match & was quite fun
    I also think is ideal for 1on1 & not more than that. I like the map but I have mixed thoughts.

- The layout is nice but I felt is to much packed. I would at least get rid of the sniper & ammo since it's useless in this type of layout imo. The stinger is not much use also since you have a lot of escape routes & can avoid the fire easily by dodging or take a quick escape path. The thing is to much is as worst as not enough and that's why I suggest you to clean up the map a bit, at least to get rid of stuff that is not necessary imo & provide less clutered space.

- The waterfall sound radius is a bit to much considering her size. I do like the volume because I think it fit, it's only the radius that need more adjustements imo.

- I would suggest to place the udamage somewhere else. You have a nice tight dangerous corridor between the flak & rocket launcher that would be a perfect spot. You can also place it at the opposite of the current location on top where there is a medium health ATM. By placing myself to the udamage & looking at the waterfall, I felt that items are to close from each other.

- I'm not sure about the used armors since it's the strongest one (belt+vest) in a such small map. I would tend to place the powerup instead of the belt, place the vest instead of the medium health on upper place I mention previously & put a small armor instead of the actual vest. Or maybe a weapon instead of the actuel vest & put the smaller armor there ? The best 1on1 I know aren't packed with powerups or big armor. They tend to place only the vest + another small armor & no powerup. Not that I don't like that in your map. I just feel / think it's to much for this layout.

- The lifts are not enough noticable. Signs & such would be welcomed. You can also raise the details because I do think the woods can be enhanced. It look a bit washed out compare to the rocks around them.

- At some spots the terrain is also looking washed out. If you can enhanced the details to make it look on par with the surrounded rocks, it would be much better.

- Looking at the sky, if possible to add some clouds of falling leafs it would be also better. The plants there (yellow circle) would look better if there are closer to th wall so you won't see the space between them & the rocks. You can also place them a bit in an angle instead of perfectly vertical.

- Bots are having trouble with the terrain there. He was aiming the RL ammo

I would suugest others things but others has already mention them so I won't repeat them.

In all, it's a nice map. It as a nice athmosphere & it look good. I do like it but I'll wait for the next version.

THX for your work & GL for MSUC

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the detailed feedback Stevelois

I agree that this map is a bit cramped and stuffed with items. Some weapons are indeed pretty useless in this environment, but I still think that they have their use (sniper is good for its headshotting ability, minigun secondary is pretty useful in these cramped spaces) so I prefer to keep them in. They are still better than an Enforcer if you spawn near them, and without them the central upper zone would be very void.

I will tweak the audio, I agree that the waterfall radius is a bit too big right now.

The UDamage position is indeed pretty close to the Shield Belt, but in such a small map it's a matter of few seconds reaching it anyway. I prefer to keep it where it is right now, since it's a very exposed position which makes it dangerous to take (as it should be). The opposite position isn't as exposed, and it's even closer to the Shield Belt. In that place I will place a Thigh Pads in the next version, though.
    For the Armors, I think that a Shield Belt fits pretty well in this map. Its position is very very dangerous, if there would be something else it wouldn't be worth the risk.
    If you look at the Duel competitive maps you'll notice how the setup is usually either a Belt+Vest or a Belt+Vest+Thighs. In some of the maps there's also UDam, but it's always disabled server-side. UT 3 has very damaging weapons (compared to CPMA or similar "games"), so a Vest alone is a very light defense that can be obliterated with just a single shock ball.

Regarding the other points, those will be fixed in the next version too. Just one part that wasn't very clear, could you provide me an example of a place where the terrain is washed out?
    Thanks again for the feedback

Redeemer

Cool

Is this the fixed version of the map with no invisible collision issue?

Is it a cave or a tree or a tree in a cave or a cave in a tree? Just kidding, that was just my first impression before hitting "start". I liked the ambient sounds with the crickets and stuff as well as the swaying grass. This one has great flow and connectivity and 3 players is perfect (although, 1on1 isn't too bad either). You succeeded in creating an "old Unreal feeling" and "a good looking map, while still keeping good gameplay, visibility and performance".

The Sacrifice

Awesome map from the guy who made Bonescraper. It looks really beautiful, yet runs with best possible performance, it's tight, but fun. Keeper.

Redeemer
    Metro Manila, Philippines, Southeast Asia

Cool Such a delightful map.

Great gameplay for 1-on-1 map in spring scenario, leaves and crystals; also in atmosphere, high quality visuals and layouts. Really like the sounds with waterfall and crickets. Weapons/power-ups can be modernized, sniper rifle can be applicable, and bots can be better.

Three mirrors for this map:
    http://www.gamefront.com/files/13764491/DM-Aelon.zip
    http://www.unrealplayground.com/foru...o=file&id=7433
    http://www.utzone.de/forum/downloads...o=file&id=2767