Default Windows 7 + Unreal Engine 3?

Does Unreal Engine 3 have any known performance issues with Windows 7? Such as low framerate, intermittent skipping, etc?

I've been having these issues ALL OVER THE PLACE when using win7 - With Mass Effect, UT3, and The Last Remnant (All of which use UE3).

Redeemer
    Corner Brook NF.(Far east coast of North America)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SINCREATOR

No problems here, what so ever. Using 9.4 catalyst, and seeing 100% scaling with crossfire. Funny though, with xp UT3 was only giving me about 60% scaling. One major thing that I noticed right away was that 1920x1080(1080p) was working properly finally on my HDTV. Win 7 even detected it as my native resolution. What a difference between 1280x720 and 1920x1080.

The benchmark started at 14/05/2009 11:38:14 PM

System Information
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate
    System memory: 2047 MB
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor
    CPU speed: 3333 MHz
    Graphics card: - 0 MB
    Benchmark Information
    Benchmark type: Flyby
    Demo: vCTF-Corruption
    Motion Blur: Disabled
    Hardware Physics: Disabled
    Anisotropic filtering: 16×

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution: 1920×1080 (HD WideScreen)
    Score = 69 FPS

The benchmark started at 13/05/2009 6:47:49 PM

System Information
    Operating system: Windows 7 Ultimate
    System memory: 2047 MB
    CPU: AMD Phenom(tm) II X3 710 Processor
    CPU speed: 3333 MHz
    Graphics card: - 0 MB
    Benchmark Information
    Benchmark type: Flyby
    Demo: vCTF-Corruption
    Motion Blur: Disabled
    Hardware Physics: Disabled
    Anisotropic filtering: 16×

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Resolution: 1920×1080 (HD WideScreen)
    Score = 137 FPS

Funny it dont show the 3870's in this bench utility anymore. It used to.

PS: If anyone wants to bench UT3 here is the link to the HOC UT3 benchmark utility: http://www.hocbench.com/ut3.php
    Last edited by Sincreator; 05-15-2009 at 01:53 AM.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0ghz,Zalman CNPS9700 cooling fan, ATI Sapphire HD5870, 8Gb DDR-3 1333mhz G-Skill Ripsaw, 128gb Kingston SSD now V+100, 640gb and 500gb WD Caviar Black, 73 gig WD Raptor, MSI GD-70 790FX 4x PCI-e X16, Realteck HD onboard audio, 750w Thermaltake Toughpower PS, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 120mm fans(Blue LED),Windows 7 64bit

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by tamriilin View Post
    Does Unreal Engine 3 have any known performance issues with Windows 7? Such as low framerate, intermittent skipping, etc?

I've been having these issues ALL OVER THE PLACE when using win7 - With Mass Effect, UT3, and The Last Remnant (All of which use UE3).
    Did you torrent Win 7? Some of the torrents contained a virus, or virus package. The one everyone should of got was the direct MS download here: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Win.../download.aspx

Torrents contain virus in RC1 build: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pir...tnet,7810.html
    Last edited by Sincreator; 05-15-2009 at 09:55 AM.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0ghz,Zalman CNPS9700 cooling fan, ATI Sapphire HD5870, 8Gb DDR-3 1333mhz G-Skill Ripsaw, 128gb Kingston SSD now V+100, 640gb and 500gb WD Caviar Black, 73 gig WD Raptor, MSI GD-70 790FX 4x PCI-e X16, Realteck HD onboard audio, 750w Thermaltake Toughpower PS, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 120mm fans(Blue LED),Windows 7 64bit

Quote Originally Posted by Sincreator View Post
    Did you torrent Win 7? Alot of the torrents contained a virus, or virus package. The one everyone should of got was the direct MS download here: http://www.microsoft.com/Windows/Win.../download.aspx

Torrents contain virus in RC1 build: http://www.tomshardware.com/news/Pir...tnet,7810.html
    No, I'm using the official Release Candidate from Microsoft's website.

Skaarj

I've been getting the same problems. UT3 has been running extremely poorly for me on Windows 7, while using the same hardware with XP it ran beautifully.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Same for me, I get about 10 fps drop (from 36 to 22 in Rails, max details 1080p) in WIN7. Nevermind Ati drivers crashing & BSODs in games and on desktop. Maybe I'll try reinstalling WIN 7 but I doubt it'll help, it was a clean install the first time, so it's probably just my HW & WIN 7 don't get along together, at least not just yet.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I only got probs with the editor
    http://themodding.heavenforum.com/
    My laptop specs:
    Dual Core 2.0 GHZ
    ATI mobility radeon HD3650 512 MB
    4GB DDR2 800MHZ

Skaarj

System I'm using is:

Windows 7 RC 64-bit
    Intel Core 2 Duo e6700 2.66 ghz
    NVidia Geforce 88000GT 512 MB
    2 gigs DDR2 667mhz RAM
    Asus p5nsli motherboard with NVidia Nforce 570SLI chipset

Things I've tried:
    Clean reinstall of NVidia 185.85 drivers
    Clean reinstall of UT3
    Disabling Hardware Physics in both game options and NVidia control panel

Setting MaxMultisamples = 0 in UTEngine.ini helped somewhat as it seemed with Windows 7 and DirectX 10 it was trying to force AA with HDR, and changing any settings in the NVidia control panel, even to "force off" made the situation worse

Even turning all the graphics to the lowest settings and resolution, I still get major hitches, hiccups and poor frame rates

No idea what's going on. For what it's worth, Call of Duty 4 also runs significantly worse under Windows 7 for me, but games like Fallout 3 and Oblivion run fantastically better. Interesting.

Also this isn't just me having some kind of pro-unreal 'sperg out over losing a few FPS, frames rates have literally been dropping into the teens at certain points (courtyard area of Shangri-La, Shock rifle room in Arsenal, one HOLP ctf map runs at like 5 fps) making the game unplayable. There's something broken or wrong.
    Last edited by Coolreject; 05-20-2009 at 02:40 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I had to switch from Vista to Win 7 beta just to get my FPS to work properly. There are places on maps like Deimos where my FPS would drop for no plausible reason. Switching to Win 7 beta allowed my FPS to jump up by 20 fps in those same areas!

I also get consistently better performance in Valve games as well. Not sure what is wrong with Vista but I am personally looking forward to Windows 7.
    OS: Windows 7 Beta | Processor: AMD Phenom X4 9950 BE @ 3.0 GHz | Motherboard: ASUS M3A78-T AM2/AM2+ 790GX | Video Card: HIS Radeon HD 4850 512mb | RAM: 4 GB (2 x 2GB) G.Skill DDR2 800 Dual Channel | PSU: Rosewill RX630-S-B 630W 80 PLUS Certified | Case: Antec Three Hundred Black Steel ATX Mid-Tower

MSgt. Shooter Person

I also have serious performance issues in UT3. In small DM-Maps like ShangriLa i have performance drops from 45fps to 25fps using the same hardware as with XP. It's not the video card slowing down my system, because the card is 15°C cooler than under XP. Resolution doesn't matter, I have the same framerate in 1680x1050 and 640x480. Even 4xAniAliasing is for free, it doesn't cost even 1fps.

I have tried 3 drivers (185.81, 185.85 and 182.50 which is for Vista but also works in Win7) but I got the poor performance with all of them.

My System:
    C2D E4300 @2,4Ghz (dualcore)
    2 GB RAM (soon 4GB)
    Geforce GTX260-216 OC (896MB)

I haven't found any solutions yet.

Edit: Can it be that only dualcore rigs got problems with Windows 7? Two dualcore systems posted here have problems, two triple/quadcore systems have performance gains ... very interesting ...
    Last edited by Der_Korken; 05-22-2009 at 03:08 PM.

everything has issues with windows 7 it is an issue just dont use it until its final a waste of time it sucks i have tried it. it wont work untill its done has horrible code errors period. i would recomend not wasting your time you probably cant figure out the issue because its the os its self.

i am shocked to hear any one not aware of the problems windows 7 has. it has many issues with many components it was even quiting out of internet explorer for me. i have a q9450 and sli 8800gts 512. all had issues not worth using that os until finished. with a 4 gigs of ram it has issues with everything not only gaming

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Did you torrent your Windows 7? Some of the torrents included a nice Virus package.

Well I love it, honestly. Both the 32 and 64 have been stable 100% for me and my brother. We havent found any programs/games that didn't work for it. All our hardware works, and I havent seen one review/preview that gave it any bad remarks. Most reviews/previews say If you wanted to try it now is the time to do so.

Me: See sig

Brothers Rig:

e-8500@4.2ghz
    SLI 8800gtx's
    850w Antec quattro
    Evga 790i Ultra SLI
    4gb DDR-3 1333

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/i...eviewid=106237
    http://www.anandtech.com/systems/sho...px?i=3557&p=19
    http://www.tgdaily.com/content/view/42324/140/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Coolreject View Post
    I've been getting the same problems. UT3 has been running extremely poorly for me on Windows 7, while using the same hardware with XP it ran beautifully.
    I have the same problem. On xp I go 60+ fps, but on 7 I get 30, with some acute stuttering. UT3 so far is the only game I got a severe performance with a game. Are they any solutions yet?

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: rahkogen PSN ID: RoadKillGrill

I wonder if this helps
    From http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=586697

"If you are getting poor FPS in Vista, disable your power saving options in your control panel as a troubleshooting option, as well."

Try the other tips on that thread too, report back if any work.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well I tried the power saving tweek, well it helped.... a little. But performance is still bad.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have no problems with UT3, it runs perfectly fine. I know from my own experience that installing Windows Vista drivers on Windows 7 causes FPS drops to 18 on some maps.

You need to use Windows 7 drivers. The latest are 185.85.

CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400, 3GHz, 1333FSB, 6MB Cache, LGA775, 45nm, BOX
    MOBO: LGA775 ASUS P5Q SE
    RAM: Patriot EXTREME PERFORMANCE 2x2048MB 800MHz DDR2 Low Latency (4-4-4-12) DIMM
    GPU: ZOTAC GF 9800GT SYNERGY Edition, 512MB DDR3 (256bit), HDTV/2xDualDVI, PCI-E, BOX
    HDD: Seagate ST3250410AS 250GB sATA II 16MB
    DVD-RW: NEC 4571A LabelFlash
    Chieftec (GPS-450AA-101A) 450W
    PixelView Play TV PAK (11-letni!)
    RazerPro 1.6

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here is my theory why many core2duo users have bad performance on Vista and windows 7. The ppl having problem are the ones that usually have Core2duo processors. I came to conclusion that CPU core2duo is the source of problem.

Because, my problems dissapear in Vista and Windows 7 when i add UT3 -"onethread" switch. The lower 20% difference in framerate are not there with this switch. The performance are the same like in XP. So the problem is what -onethread switch exactly does? And the other problem is lack of this switch for other games so they cant have the same performance like on XP.

So generally Vista and windows 7 have problem with multicore??

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have a Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz overclocked to 3.2 GHz on Windows 7 RC1 64 bit and UT3 runs very smooth. Using an ATI HD4870 video card, not overclocking the video card.

Where, UT3 crashes constantly on the same pc with Windows XP pro SP3. I did not have any crashing issues with UT3 in Windows XP PRIOR to the UT3 2.0 patch.

I previously ran Windows 7 beta 64 bit and had no issues with UT3 on that as well.

I ran the ATI graphics driver that comes with Win 7 and used ATI 9.3, 9.4 and currently 9.5 drivers for Windows 7. No issues with any of them.

I will say Windows 7 is not without it's faults. The 64 bit likes to not give my raid write permissions on occasion. That is corrected with diskpart.

But, I have not experienced any crashing of other programs in Windows 7. I did install Windows 7 with the iso downloaded from Microsoft.

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R rev. 1
    Intel C2D E6600 @3.2 GHz
    4 GB Kingston Hyper-X 1066
    Visiontek ATI HD4870 512MB
    HX620W Corsair Modular Power Supply

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Thelios View Post
    I have a Intel C2D E6600 2.4GHz overclocked to 3.2 GHz on Windows 7 RC1 64 bit and UT3 runs very smooth. Using an ATI HD4870 video card, not overclocking the video card.

Where, UT3 crashes constantly on the same pc with Windows XP pro SP3. I did not have any crashing issues with UT3 in Windows XP PRIOR to the UT3 2.0 patch.

I previously ran Windows 7 beta 64 bit and had no issues with UT3 on that as well.

I ran the ATI graphics driver that comes with Win 7 and used ATI 9.3, 9.4 and currently 9.5 drivers for Windows 7. No issues with any of them.

I will say Windows 7 is not without it's faults. The 64 bit likes to not give my raid write permissions on occasion. That is corrected with diskpart.

But, I have not experienced any crashing of other programs in Windows 7. I did install Windows 7 with the iso downloaded from Microsoft.

Gigabyte GA-P35C-DS3R rev. 1
    Intel C2D E6600 @3.2 GHz
    4 GB Kingston Hyper-X 1066
    Visiontek ATI HD4870 512MB
    HX620W Corsair Modular Power Supply
    Hmm, pretty much similar rig to mine except i have sapphire ati and 2 gigs of ram. Tell me, did you see any performance loss on map like shangrila, when you move over the bridge? Also, did you used the "onethread" switch? Also tell me which bios version you have, and do you see any performance loss in other games compared to XP.
    We might be able to nail down the problem...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Runs "ok" here on Win7. Though XP was faster.
    Windows 7 RC1 (64 Bit) | Gainward Bliss Geforce 8800gts (640 MB) | Core i7 920 | 6 GB DDR3 1333

MSgt. Shooter Person

i have Windows 7 RC1 (64 Bit) and runs really good

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Designer0101 View Post
    Hmm, pretty much similar rig to mine except i have sapphire ati and 2 gigs of ram. Tell me, did you see any performance loss on map like shangrila, when you move over the bridge? Also, did you used the "onethread" switch? Also tell me which bios version you have, and do you see any performance loss in other games compared to XP.
    We might be able to nail down the problem...
    UT3 ran quite well on Windows 7 64 bit with 2GB of ram for me. Only recently went with 4GB. I do not use the "onethread" switch. I am currently using the F11 bios (since pulled from the Gigabyte site). I want the F12 bios once it comes out of beta.

Did not notice any slowness in Shangrila on the bridge during the campaign on Windows 7. There is one spot in Avalanche with the 2.0 patch at the Darkwalker node. If I entered that spot using the small tunnel to enter behind it, UT3 would freeze then slide show for about a 30 seconds or so and would then clear. Only spot on that map that did that. Actually, only map I ever had any slowness issues, so far.

As far as any performance loss with Win 7 over XP, well UT3 is unplayable for me on XP since UT3 patch 2.0. It has constant game crashes. Man I tried to get the crashes to stop! Now, I have a retail install of UT3 on XP and am not using Steam. Win 7 UT3 is a Steam install and zero crashes.

I did find for the ATI cards, in the CCC, application controlled must be set for AA and AF. V-synch must be turned "off" in-game and in the CCC. And UT3 does not like any overclocking on the video card in either XP or Win 7. I do run the video card fan set at 40% when in UT3.

As far as any other games in Win 7, Grid runs like a champ even with BeetleatWar1977's Ultra High texture packs installed. I have TES:Oblivion modded to over 15GB install (and counting). Oblivion has some stuttering when some zones load, but quickly smooths out. Need a 1GB video card for the texture packs I installed for Oblivion, but will wait for the DX11 cards coming out this fall.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Madcatz75

I got problems in the editor which won't allow me to use the duplicate packages command line

I found that killing Steam on my win7 system reduced loadtimes and gave me a SLIGHT fps boost I used a simple batch cmd file todo it it might help with the

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=8...4e75f6e8ebb871

Start unreal from steam
    when u see the splash screen double click the cmd
    enjoy
    THIS IS NO WAY MODIFIES GAME FILES OR CIRCUMVENTS PROTECTIONS!!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: {NOC}MikeHunt

Hmm interesting I have taken to runnig mine outside steam by creating a desktop shortcut to use the onethread fix so I'm pretty sure steam isn't running anyway but I'll give that a try
    home rig: asus P5QPL-VM, e7400 core2 3.36ghz, XFX 9800GT, 4gb ram, Win7x64pro, MX518 mouse 700watt PSU

(\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)o This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination