Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

Default shot gun lag compensation gone?

I've been playing and it seems that the lag compensation for the shotgun is gone, or at least it is for hip-fire. A LOT of times I'd shoot at a guy point blank in my face can't see anyone but him and do no damage, shoot him at mid range, no damage, two-piece him, no damage, then miss, and kill him. Finally figured out that if I lead my shots by my lag they'd die. I dont recall them mentioning removing this feature from TU3...

To add to this, I'm seeing more instances where I gun a guy up and find him not taking damage. Its like they undid the lag compensation in TU2 that fixed the combat.
    Last edited by FBX; 03-29-2009 at 09:36 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XenoXniper

yeah i agree, like in a laggy game you could hit them straight on, and it would hit a second after, but now its like gears one again. They kepy the pistol/lancer/hammerburst compensation on though. Just not the shotgun.
    Winners never quit. Quitters never win.
    This is your life and it's ending one minute at a time.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have noticed that many weapons don't register. For instance someone will be in DBNO i try to shoot them my lancer with a full clip and they do not die.

Veteran
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: LobotiCastation PSN ID: LobotiCastation

They definitely f-ed up the shotty's blindfire.
    It's pronounced "Gib" with a hard G sound, not a j sound. Epics wrong

MSgt. Shooter Person

no, its back to pre-TU2, I'm sure of it now. Its like they thought that region filters was some excuse to get rid of the lag compensation. This is really really irritating. Just because you have region filters and the lag is better doesnt mean that is an excuse to remove lag compensation.

Banned

Something is weird with the shotgun now
    Lots of shots I know are gibs before TU3 (smoked out people, people chainsawing someone, etc) takes up to 3 shots for them to finally die on occasion

MSgt. Shooter Person

ok I'm 100% sure they did this. That is retarded. Bump this so this gets fixed. Just played a game against a team who were all on the same LAN and 80% of the time I couldn't hit them or do more than a tiny amount of damage while they were one-shotting us. At least before on a 3 v 1 situation you didnt get this silly situation 3 people are all MISSING. Hell earlier I saw a 1v1 situation where 2 guys shot at each other 19 times before one of them finally scored a direct hit. It was ridiculous. The shot kept hitting beside/behind the person.

Banned

Last time I played - which will also be the last time I play until TU4 - I was in low cover against a standing lancer from about 20 feet away. I pop-shotted about 5 times and connected each time. The player was strafing very slowly so it wasn't hard to hit him. Well, apparently he unloaded every bullet in his lancer clip and finally downed me on the last shot. I took damage from my pop-ups even after I was back in cover and I guess 5 shots wasn't enough to kill him. Peace out Gears 2...again.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nineteenth Hour

I was playing in a game with terrible lag (people hovering around, etc). I saw an enemy get into cover so I got next to him and shot him. He ran away and 4 seconds later my shotgun kill registered. I'm pretty sure lag compensation is still in (it's just that you are playing games with higher ping than before, since you can't choose a game with the lowest ping like in Gears 1).

EGFC Member #142

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hmmm, I've kept my eye out and I'm very sure that the lag compensation is back to pre-TU2 in every aspect. My Torque Bow arrows don't hit anymore, guys taking longer to down, I Shoot people and I dont see blood coming off of them. Its all low lag too. If what you saw was true then:

A. Possibly by coincidence you hit him anyways
    B. Maybe the lag compensation is turned off if it thinks your lag is low enough it wouldn't matter? (which would obviously be set wrong)

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limiter Release

When I shoot my shotgun it always feels like I'm shooting marshmallows at the enemy and it feels like they're shooting cinderblocks at me.

No matter how many rounds I pump into them whether normal or active it doesn't seem to affect them.

In your heart, you know it to be true,
    You know what ya gotta do, they all depend on you,
    and you already know, yes, you already know how this will end.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ppr55

yeah today i shot a guy 5 times and nothing happen he only shot my twice and i die jajaja
    serve the raam

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jordan5canucks

Quote Originally Posted by FBX View Post
    Hmmm, I've kept my eye out and I'm very sure that the lag compensation is back to pre-TU2 in every aspect. My Torque Bow arrows don't hit anymore, guys taking longer to down, I Shoot people and I dont see blood coming off of them. Its all low lag too. If what you saw was true then:

A. Possibly by coincidence you hit him anyways
    B. Maybe the lag compensation is turned off if it thinks your lag is low enough it wouldn't matter? (which would obviously be set wrong)
    torque just pissed me off in lag, i shot straight through a guys legs like 4 times...

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BLACK EAGLE VII

Its like random

sometimes u rock somtimes u su<k

and when laggy dont use a long range try flamer or just the core weapons hB , shotty or lancer

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limiter Release

Quote Originally Posted by JERA65 View Post
    yeah today i shot a guy 5 times and nothing happen he only shot my twice and i die jajaja
    Yeah that happens to me except I shoot the guy like 4 times and he fires once and I explode.

Also the smoke grenades are just killing the game experience.
    As soon as the other team comes out of spawn, smokes away, I'm on the ground, and someone on the other team comes up and blows me up
    It just kills everything.

In your heart, you know it to be true,
    You know what ya gotta do, they all depend on you,
    and you already know, yes, you already know how this will end.

Skaarj

A step back for the shotty: it's lagging like after TU1.
    Too bad.

MSgt. Shooter Person

It is too bad. This was such a good update in so many respects and then they had to ruin the gameplay again by taking off the lag compensation that made it playable in the first place.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: leeeroy187

I think it is funny that the shotgun doesn't work right again. If Epic doesn't want people to use the gun, take it out of the damn game. Seems easy enough, right?

I'm tripolar.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: mrjitters88

Quote Originally Posted by leeeroy187 View Post
    I think it is funny that the shotgun doesn't work right again. If Epic doesn't want people to use the gun, take it out of the damn game. Seems easy enough, right?
    this.

and i love the shotgun, definitely my most used weapon by far.... but if they keep fucking with it, just tell us, not try to be all sneaky about it
    DA BULLS

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BIG W1LL

The shotty is not perfect, but it is MUCH better than it was when this game first released.
    Militaristic Tactics

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TANK 2old2play

Well first thing, i believe Epic has lost sight of balancing the shotgun damage from the host with what everyone else's shotgun is doing. Seems like host advantage is back now as bad as it ever was in Gears 1.

Second the shotgun is now really really unreliable. I get downed at distance and jibbed by OTHER people but i can have an active reloaded shotgun up someone's arse and they don't go down never mind gib. So now i just saw, chainsawing is the only reliable way to kill when you're point blank range. It's ridiculous how unreliable the weapons are especially the shotgun.
    BERKELEY/OAKLAND COG OWNER

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Pseudo Cire

Yea dude. TU2 was on point. Now its taking me double the shots I would have killed someone before.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BC HEMAPHOBE

I agree. Its to the point now that every time I start a new game I have to get out my shotgun and testfire it just to see how much lag there is. It seems as though for me I get maybe 1 clean game out of 5 or 6 at a time with varying amounts of lag in between. Sometimes the latency is low enough that I can compensate for it and other times I can literally put two active clips of hammerburst into a guy running at me across avalanche and he two pieces the hell out of me when he gets there. Again, the game is AWESOME when it runs smooth. Its fun, gorry, and tactical. Three of my favorite things. But it is a ***** when its bogged down with super host or terrible latency.

MSgt. Shooter Person

There isn't even bad lag anymore, its just that at close distances things move by enough that 200 ms of lag can make a large difference, especially with the shotgun where a direct hit does like 10x more damage than being slightly off.

Can someone from Epic please address this? Was this intentional?

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Stev0Hazard

I wish that they'd just stop messing around and make everyones favorite weapons as powerful as the other starting weapons.
    Player Matches and Dedicated servers should have been featured in this game.

MSgt. Shooter Person

But its not just the shotgun that is affected it is all weapons. When they gave the shotgun client side lag compensation it also boosted the lag accuracy of other weapons as well. It gave the sniper headshots, gave the torque bow moving accuracy, allowed you to shoot someone roadie running and diving away...

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Giltakeover

I know they gave the shotty CHSD in TU2. Dunno about TU3. I dont notice anything.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gravehybrid

NICE!!! I thought it was just me sorry to sound so "happy" but after the horrible mess that was last nite I needed proof it wasnt just me. I'm done with gears 2 until they fix that. I hope Epic realizes this quickly with the upcoming "Game With Fame". Devs will get it hard!!! I loved Gears 1, what happened here though?
    Beta Tester!

Impressions:little glitchy/broken here and there but VERY fun!
    Suggestions: inform when servers are down! Beta update?
    Fixes: 5 or 6 TDM spawns please

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: jaycob619

indeed i have noticed this rly lame hope it will go back to its old ways

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NicodemusX0

Actually the shotgun works better to me. It has become very reliable. Now when playing international or bad lag, it's not worth using, unless you aim ahead or behind them.

The good thing is I can see where a missed shot lands, and then compensate.... Blam.

MSgt. Shooter Person

you can't compensate when he dives away after you shoot, nor can you compete against someone who doesn't need to compensate

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Actually Honestly. When an opponent dives away. That gives me another chance for an aimed shot at him.

Now against the host you just have to hope he misses and you make a good shot. Yes there is Host Advantage, but they bleed.

I think GOW1 Shotty was more reliable w/o lag compensation, because of player compensation.

My hypothesis is that the roundtrip times for the code to hit host and be compensated for and then sent back to you. Would make shotgun battles more about connection to host than skillful shots.

I could not stand seeing people shoot my shadow and kill me. I have literally saw guys shooting so far behind me and almost started laughing at him, then "BLAM" I'm dead.

Banned

I dont know wtf they did EPIC needs to change the shotgun to how it was before TU3.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by KingsRuler View Post
    I dont know wtf they did EPIC needs to change the shotgun to how it was before TU3.
    I don't agree, what are you seeing that is different?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah, I have to agree that the shotgun seems to have taken a step back with TU3 in terms of lag compensation. I am really happy with all of the other changes in TU3 and the game is definitely better, but the shotgun seems to be little less consistent compared to the TU2 shotgun. Maybe I haven't played enough matches and hopefully at worst, this will get cleaned up with some server changes not requiring another title update. It certainly isn't broken.

EDIT -- after playing more games, I think the issues were primarily lag related on bad hosts. After playing several games
    on better hosts in private matches, the shotgun seemed fine.
    Last edited by SurrealPanic; 03-31-2009 at 02:25 AM.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by NicodemusX0 View Post
    I don't agree, what are you seeing that is different?
    I been having a 83% hit accuracy for months on end. Made it to the Top 100 with basic understand of lag and how to aim shotgun when dealing with it. Its like theres a delay when I shot my shotgun off host. Its like the bullets cant keep up with character movement and that crap is happening when Im actually aiming.

Banned

The dang HB is more reliable at close range than the shotgun after TU3

MSgt. Shooter Person

What is "lag compensation"?? For as long as I've been playing GOW2, the shotgun always had a lag delay from the time it was fired till the bullets came out. The only lag compensation that I know of is to fire off a few rounds at the beginning of a match to get a feel for the delay, and then to try and lead the enemy. If you're lucky and get host, or a really good connection, no leading is necessary.

That's not to say that the shotgun doesn't feel different after TU3. It seems wildly unpredictable. One match, you'll feel unstoppable, the next, you wonder if you're firing blanks. More than a few times I've peppered an enemy with 3 or 4 shots only to see him down me or kill me with one. Once, I was even downed by an elbow....had full health, hit him with to shots, and then he elbows me and I'm down for the count. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense....

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Toweleeeie20

i have noticed this to. the shotgun is even worse. i also saw someone get torqued and lived twice in 1 game. that was this morning

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by dsh1998 View Post
    What is "lag compensation"?? For as long as I've been playing GOW2, the shotgun always had a lag delay from the time it was fired till the bullets came out. The only lag compensation that I know of is to fire off a few rounds at the beginning of a match to get a feel for the delay, and then to try and lead the enemy. If you're lucky and get host, or a really good connection, no leading is necessary.

That's not to say that the shotgun doesn't feel different after TU3. It seems wildly unpredictable. One match, you'll feel unstoppable, the next, you wonder if you're firing blanks. More than a few times I've peppered an enemy with 3 or 4 shots only to see him down me or kill me with one. Once, I was even downed by an elbow....had full health, hit him with to shots, and then he elbows me and I'm down for the count. Doesn't make a whole lot of sense....
    The bullets dont travel anymore. You press RT then you see nothing on screen. Then about half a sec later the bullet miss it target. Knowing before I even press RT, I aimed and waited for the white box to turn red before I shot with my shotgun.

Now I been doing this since before TU3 release and it has worked fine. I been doing it well to reach Top 100 in Execution. Whatever BS there doing to monitor stanbying/bridging is effin with stuff.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast