Map - Deathmatch (PC) DM-RB-Gray Matter [UPDATED V1.1]

Name: DM-RB-Gray Matter
    Version:1.1
    Compatibility:V 2.0 and Titan Pack
    Player count: 16 -32

UPDATE V1.1

-tweaked lighting
    -animated floating check pieces
    -added more detail to the background: planets asteroids etc.

Description:

A large map set in a surreal environment. With floating islands, weird deformed builings and a scorcing red dwarf star in the background. All weapons present, 3 powerups: berserk, invisibility and slow field. Custom sounds, meshes and textures.

DM-RB-1on1-Gray Matter is also included in the zip file. This is a smaller version wich features only the interior of the museum bulding.

Music:"You have the power" - by Trevor Jones (Dark City OST)

Screenshots:

Flythrough of the map: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXE7u...e=channel_page

DOWNLOAD
    Last edited by Remus; 02-17-2010 at 04:29 PM.

Skaarj

Reminds me of American Mcgee's Alice for some reason :S
    Especially Picture 6.
    Downloading now XD

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Offline only :(

Looks great! I love your maps! Will download soon.
    Proud PC & Xbox 360 gamer.
    Rig:
    /CPU:Q6600 @ 2.4gHz
    /RAM:4GB Corsair DDR2
    /HDD:Sata 400GB
    /GPU:HD ATI Radeon 4850

Maps
    DM-Aftermath FINAL V2/A now ruined city that has been destroyed by the necris. (PC & PS3) See review here (81/100).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just tried it with a bot TDM. It's very good!
    The visual style is unique but also very playable. Plenty of actions going on, and including redeemer, invisibility and slow field makes good gameplay. I think with some polish (like addind some moving parts in the map)this will be a worthy contestant of MSUC.

Boomshot

wow that map look good
    a other 1 too at too mp list of best looking map
    UT3DOM 5.0 IS OUT http://ut3dom.xantaz.net/news.php
    PATCH 2.0 [/url] malcolm is back in ut3
    RANKIN is BACK in ut3
    AT LAST UT3 PS3 NOW HAVE COSTUM SOUND SWEET
    ps3 players all go too this site http://www.iamgaming.com/
    its the best ps3 comunaty for ut3 at ps3

MSgt. Shooter Person

Very nice works,
    Great visuals really good job for that.
    Thx for this release.
    http://www.unreal.fr

Community Unreal.fr :
    Steam
    Xfire

MSgt. Shooter Person

As always, great work, I'm downloading this too. Why hasn't Epic offered you a job yet? :P

Iron Guard

Looks good, but I don't know about it's playability.
    I want to play Unreal for a living.

oooo
    Been waiting for this, downloading now. Thanks!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz2k7 View Post
    Care to be more specific?

Anyway, thanks for the replies guys. Should I try to cook this for the PS3? Has the titan pack been released?

MSgt. Shooter Person

YES PLEASE!!! would love to check this out on PS3.

The 2.0 patch has been released but the Titan Pack isn't released till thursday. I don't know if this map needs the Titan Pack or just the patch for it to work.

Love the map Remus!
    It has real style with a surreal atmosphere. The music choice really adds to the overall feel of the map. Nice touch of detail with the customized death message by falling & the customized portals.
    It's not without it quirks though and I'll share the few things that I didn't like:
    1) Poor framerate when looking across the map. This is understandable with so much to be seen given the layout and "floating island" style.
    2) Too many enforcer pickups. Seriously. This is more a personal preference than a real problem but I felt like I was always picking up and extra enforcer around every other corner.
    3) Tight narrow doorways. This would be my overall main gripe with the map. I would often find myself "hung up" on the narrow doorways when trying to run through them.
    4) Had a bug once when I fell and landed on an invisible floor which made it look like I was laying in mid air or the bottom of the skydome. Only happened once though.
    5) Noticed bots falling quite often, especially while holding the slow firld pickup.

Other than these few things the map is ace and is a blast to play. Its a keeper. You have serious artistic talent and can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. Awesome job!
    -SRH

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Crynyd View Post
    YES PLEASE!!! would love to check this out on PS3.

The 2.0 patch has been released but the Titan Pack isn't released till thursday. I don't know if this map needs the Titan Pack or just the patch for it to work.
    OK I'll give it a shot later today.

Quote Originally Posted by SmokeRingHalo View Post
    1) Poor framerate when looking across the map. This is understandable with so much to be seen given the layout and "floating island" style.
    2) Too many enforcer pickups. Seriously. This is more a personal preference than a real problem but I felt like I was always picking up and extra enforcer around every other corner.
    3) Tight narrow doorways. This would be my overall main gripe with the map. I would often find myself "hung up" on the narrow doorways when trying to run through them.
    4) Had a bug once when I fell and landed on an invisible floor which made it look like I was laying in mid air or the bottom of the skydome. Only happened once though.
    5) Noticed bots falling quite often, especially while holding the slow firld pickup.

Other than these few things the map is ace and is a blast to play. Its a keeper. You have serious artistic talent and can't wait to see what you have in store for us next. Awesome job!
    -SRH
    1) The frame rate isn't the best but, my main goal with this map was to make it as good looking as I could so poor performance was expected from the start.
    2) I suppose 3 enforcer pickups is a bit overkill, but I'm fine with it.

3) Well, I tried to make the doorways (especially in the floating house) to be "normal" sized, I didn't want everything to look like you were in some giant's home. Did you get hung up on the door frame mesh?
    4) Could you tell me where exactly this happened? Sounds weird, I don't remember leaving an "stray" blocking volumes or anything like that.
    5) Hmm, didn't notice this while playing. Do they tend to fall in any specific spots outside?

Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    3) Well, I tried to make the doorways (especially in the floating house) to be "normal" sized, I didn't want everything to look like you were in some giant's home. Did you get hung up on the door frame mesh?
    4) Could you tell me where exactly this happened? Sounds weird, I don't remember leaving an "stray" blocking volumes or anything like that.
    5) Hmm, didn't notice this while playing. Do they tend to fall in any specific spots outside?
    3) That's what I'm assuming, either that or they're just very difficult to navigate for a compulsive dodge-jumper. It feels like I'm getting hung up though.
    4) Not really. I believe it happened on my very first fall death when I first tried the map. Not sure where I was exactly as I was still learning the layout.
    Hasn't happened since so maybe it was a fluke?
    5) Again, not sure. Probably somewhere near the slow field. Its the reason I noticed them falling because they stand out while using it.

Still its the most fun I've had on a custom map in some time.
    Oh and mad props on the skybox material, it took me some time before I realized the stars were "alive" and twinkling. Very nice!

Thumbs up wow looks amazing !

I love beautiful map like this !!
    I just play this 2 maps but DM-RB-Gray_Matter crush my game my desktop turn to black and error report pop up
    sorry dont know how to copy report
    DM-RB-1on1-Gray_Matter is no problem to play looks really nice and fun to play
    Last edited by BuffyTheSlayer; 03-15-2009 at 12:37 PM.
    = Buffy The Jedi Knight =

MSgt. Shooter Person

Kickass map!

No framerate issues for me.

*hugs awesome vid card*
    CPU: AMD Athlon 64 X2 Dual Core 4200+
    Video Card: ATI 4870 1GB
    Memory: 3GB, DDR2 667
    Motherboard: ASUS M2N-MX SE

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzz2k7 View Post
    The playability is good as it takes a back seat to the visuals/environment. This is usually the case with maps like this. You wouldn't find this map in a compettive ladder.

That out of the way, you really have a very cool enviroment going on here. I like the warped sense of not know where you are (i.e. what world your in), but liking it anyways.

A few specifics:

1. Very cool teleporters! Sort of reminds me of the move, Poltergeist
    2. Overall I like the look of the buildings, looks very different from any of the stock maps.
    3. The statue in the main hall (1on1 area) looks out of place with the material. A marble material would look better.
    4. While some of your custom materials had proper foot step sounds, a lot of them were using the generic sound. While most people may not notice, I think having different sounds adds to the contrast of the map.
    5. While the lighting is nice over all, there are too many dark spots in the map, some of them are indoors.

If you are going to enter the map in the MSUC, I suggest a bit more polishing. Besides that, you made us a very cool map.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
    The playability is good as it takes a back seat to the visuals/environment. This is usually the case with maps like this. You wouldn't find this map in a compettive ladder.
    And that's how most of my maps are. The only one that would work as a competitive map is DM-Singularity I think.

Anyway this map is intended for the "best use of graphics category".

3. The statue in the main hall (1on1 area) looks out of place with the material. A marble material would look better.

Well this giant pawn eating a queen was initially intended, but I got lazy and never finished it.

4. While some of your custom materials had proper foot step sounds, a lot of them were using the generic sound. While most people may not notice, I think having different sounds adds to the contrast of the map.
    The thing is that there are very few footstep sounds to choose from, and for exampe the stone sounds that should be applied to matterials such as the cobblestone, well I just don't like the way they sound...

5. While the lighting is nice over all, there are too many dark spots in the map, some of them are indoors.
    By dark spots do you mean the perfectly black spots that sould still receive some indirect lighting?

So overall I'll take a look at all the suggestions do some tweaking and then release the updated version for both PC and PS3.

Very good map,
    impressive visual and freaky nice atmosphere, and the gameplay is really good too (I have test the DM version with 20 bots).
    I like especially the several ambient sounds and the musical theme you have put on it, really back to me to the strange and heavy atmosphere to the awesome Dark movie.
    And the frame rate is really good to me.

The only stuff I would change is the doors frames which are a bit tide on some places, except that, I would keep all !

Very good job on it

And that's how most of my maps are. The only one that would work as a competitive map is DM-Singularity I think.
    That's cool. BTW, I really like Singularity. It's a simple layout, but fun. There is some about jump pads that are so much fun to use.

Anyway this map is intended for the "best use of graphics category".
    That being the case and as I mentioned before, it needs a bit more polishing.

Well this giant pawn eating a queen was initially intended, but I got lazy and never finished it.
    Maybe after a short break, you finish it up as it would work so well, especially compared to the other statue. If not, then maybe a new material for the existing statue?

The thing is that there are very few footstep sounds to choose from, and for exampe the stone sounds that should be applied to matterials such as the cobblestone, well I just don't like the way they sound...
    OK. I just can't stand the default sound. It goes back to my Raven Shield mapping days when people wouldn't asign proper foot steps sounds. You would then hear the "swishing" sound of your pants rubbing together, which sounds similar to the UT 3 default foot step sound.

I need help.

By dark spots do you mean the perfectly black spots that sould still receive some indirect lighting?
    Yes sir. One example, there is a couch in a perfectly lit room, but you go behind it and you basically have to fire at the couch to see the texture. I can see the outdoor areas have a dimmer light because of the surrounding light sources, though they should never be "black".

[/quote]So overall I'll take a look at all the suggestions do some tweaking and then release the updated version for both PC and PS3.[/quote]

Take some time before you do so. Get some feedback and a fresh perspective from yourself. Good luck in the contest.

MSgt. Shooter Person

100mb ? thats right?

Quote Originally Posted by C4rn463 View Post
    100mb ? thats right?
    Sure enough! There is a lot of custom content and there are 2 versions of the map (Full & 1on1). Unless your on dial-up or have a limit to your monthly bandwith, it's worth checking out.

Redeemer

I really love this map! Incredible job on this. It's very unique and the atmospere is fantastic. It's a keeper on the server!

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is a beautiful map,great concept,very unique.It will stay on my server.GJ.
    Epic not to fear as the Freak is still here.

2K4
    ~Freak's World~ 204.80.93.48:7777
    DM server

~White Widow's AM Lair~ 72.249.10.38:7777
    AM server

Sanctuary~72.249.10.45:7777
    Tam server

Very nice.

Thumbs up fianlly played this map !!!

Remus thank you for info
    wow amazing beautiful map !
    totally no lag very fun to play too !!
    thank you again
    = Buffy The Jedi Knight =

Sweet map! I put it on our TDM server and it plays very nice!

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've replaced that rusty Atlas statue with a marble Pawn statue.

Does that look better?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well. that looks a little odd... Maybe try to add some smaller check piece around the house. Also if you can make the crooked tower swing in game or something flying in space that could improve the atmosphere
    Check the screenshots of "American McGee's Alice", it had similar setting:
    http://www.gamespot.com/pc/action/am...Bimages&page=3

I've replaced that rusty Atlas statue with a marble Pawn statue.

Does that look better?
    Looks much better than the previous statue. The only thing I can suggest from the picture is it seems to shinny. But I do like the design of it very much!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by joe74509 View Post
    Also if you can make the crooked tower swing in game or something flying in space that could improve the atmosphere
    I would love to add some animated stuff to the map like real time morphing buildings, or as you suggested a swinging building, but I don't know how to do this. Are there are any tutorials on how to export mesh animations from 3dsMax to Ued?

And I have in plan to add other stuff in the background. Other far away floating islands, a few street chunks floating eraticaly, cars, chunks of buildings etc.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Updated the map and download link.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Great! downloading... Will give feedback later.

Quote Originally Posted by joe74509 View Post
    Will give feedback later.
    I will give mine now. I really like the changes in the lighting as now you can see more of this fine map. I also like the addition of the pawn piece. Now you can shoot rockets inside it's mouth and get some jump boots, jump on top of it and play "King of the Pawn".

Although, when you release a new version, the file name should be different. For us off line players, it's not that big of a deal. Online, a whole different story.

Remus, most of your stuff is on filefront. Just wanted to let you know.

PS. This is my new favourite map, the atmosphere and eye candy is amazing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by HideInLight View Post
    Remus, most of your stuff is on filefront. Just wanted to let you know.
    I know... and I plan to have my own site in the near future, where I'll upload everything. Untill then can anyone suggest a file hosting site as good as FileFront?

Iron Guard

WOW - it looks amazing
    «ne» UT3 Community
    Never lose a map from your UT3 cache folder here
    «ne» UT3 BTA Server open 81.19.221.203:7780
    «ne» Map Packs Greed/Warfare/DM/VCTF/ONS2.0 here
    UT3 Benchmark results here

MSgt. Shooter Person

I know... and I plan to have my own site in the near future, where I'll upload everything. Untill then can anyone suggest a file hosting site as good as FileFront?
    I have used this site, for like 4-5 months now....Never had any probs...Apart from the 45 second wait, but that's NOT a life time and IMHO, is a lot better then FileFront

http://megaupload.com/

There is also "MediaFire" which is good too....But I have never use it, only heard about

http://www.mediafire.com/about.php

Fantastic Map BTW...Don't mean that to sound like an after thought But tis GREAT...

Swifty
    Last edited by SwiftyOne; 03-26-2009 at 01:27 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I am aweare of megaupload, and it's nowhere near as good as filefront IMO. The 40 second waiting time plus the limited number of files you can download (3 or 4 don't remember and then wait 40 minutes), are deal breakers.

EDIT: I'm moving all my stuff to mediafire...
    Last edited by Remus; 03-26-2009 at 03:22 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast