View Poll Results: Do you think the free steam trial should be extended?

Voters
101. You may not vote on this poll
  • Extend the trial for the rest of the week

66 65.35%
  • Make next weekend free as well

35 34.65%
  • No, if they want to play it, they have to buy it.

17 16.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Redeemer
    Corner Brook NF.(Far east coast of North America)
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SINCREATOR

Default Extend the free weekend with Steam.

First off I would like to say exellent job Epic. This expansion+patch+steam deal has really helped revitalize the online community.

Now I've heard from a few friends and through various posts here in the forums, that the downloads are taking a long time, or are not working due to an overload on the steam servers.

So I'm putting up this poll, just to see if people would agree that it would be a good idea to extend the "FREE" trial. Maybe for a week, or just next weekend as well. Anyway, everyone vote and leave comments if you wish.
    Last edited by Sincreator; 03-07-2009 at 06:30 PM.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0ghz, Zalman CNPS9700 cooling fan, MSI TF3 7950(1070/1500), 8Gb DDR-3 1600mhz G-Skill Ripsaw, 128gb Kingston SSD, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, 640gb and 500gb WD Caviar Black, MSI GD-70 790FX mobo, 750w PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 120mm fans(Blue LED),Win 7 64bit

The Sacrifice

Yeah I was about to make the same thread, I have a lot, lot of friends that can't download it through steam because the servers are overloaded, some are already giving up, this could be fixed if you extend for the rest of the week, that would surely boost ut3 community even more ty

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BoboTheBrave

Yeah, I've heard a lot of people have been met with slow download speeds and nonstart errors. I know Steam updated to fix the nonstart errors, but it's probably too little too late at this point.

All that to say... about a third of the people who might potentially get the game probably haven't been able to, and another third will probably only be able to play the "all weekend trial" for a single day before it expires.

So, I think it would be wise to extend it for the rest of the week and through the weekend, or restart it next weekend.
    CPU: AMD Phenom X4 9850 Black Edition .................... RAM: 2x2GB OCZ DDR2 PC2-8500 Reaper HPC Edition
    GFX: HIS HD 4850 IceQ4 Dual-DVI ............................. HDs: 2x1TB Seagate 7200.11 in RAID 1 Mirror
    Sound: Soundblaster Audigy 2 ZS ............................... Speakers: Logitech Z-5500 THX 5.1
    Monitors: 3xCRTs. Middle = Samsung Syncmaster 957mb. Sides = Crap Viewsonics
    Mobo: Gigabyte GA-MA790GP-DS4H with 790GX Chipset and SB750 Southbridge

Veteran

I get behind option A, making it expire by friday would be a good move though so people will buy it in order to continue playing on the weekend.

I think that for most people especially in the US, 3 days is nowhere near enough time to download the game even under ideal conditions and then have any sort of time to enjoy it.
    I run VoxHouse (VHSGames) and the UnrealDB.
    Film & Game producer, using and teaching UDK & Unreal Engine 4. Please stop by and say a good word on my project thread.
    Also feel free to join us on #udkc irc.gamesurge.net or via web: http://myclodel.com to chat live with others in the UDK community.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Bersy View Post
    I get behind option A, making it expire by friday would be a good move though so people will buy it in order to continue playing on the weekend.

I think that for most people especially in the US, 3 days is nowhere near enough time to download the game even under ideal conditions and then have any sort of time to enjoy it.
    Actually I think you would need atleast a week to just get used to the weapon spawns. Then people start to enjoy it more.

UT3 is not a game that you can play for 2/3 days and enjoy it. The enjoyment comes when you start to fully grasp all the elements/aspects the game has to offer.
    AMD Phenom II X6 1090T @ 4.0ghz, Zalman CNPS9700 cooling fan, MSI TF3 7950(1070/1500), 8Gb DDR-3 1600mhz G-Skill Ripsaw, 128gb Kingston SSD, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, 640gb and 500gb WD Caviar Black, MSI GD-70 790FX mobo, 750w PC Power and Cooling Silencer MK II, Zalman Z9 plus case with 7 120mm fans(Blue LED),Win 7 64bit

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XI Apathy IX

LMAO! I was just thinking about this. I know there are going to be a lot of people that went through hell to download it and wont be able to play it because it took so long. I can't even update my own copy on steam because it's getting hammered so badly.
    Would be really cool if they could extend it a bit longer so more people got the chance to play.
    ||Antec 900||GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P||i5-2500K 4.1GHZ(OC'd)||G.Skill 12800 (16GB)||MSI 460 GTX Cyclone||Onboard Sound||Win 7 Ult. 64 bit||
    Yes, I still love PC gaming!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sanch3z

just make UT3 completely free..... Its already on the Walmart bargain bin shelves and not selling.
    retired....

MSgt. Shooter Person

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by Sincreator View Post
    Actually I think you would need atleast a week to just get used to the weapon spawns. Then people start to enjoy it more.

UT3 is not a game that you can play for 2/3 days and enjoy it. The enjoyment comes when you start to fully grasp all the elements/aspects the game has to offer.
    yea thats right

i also agree to extending the ut3 steam weekend, ive convinced my friend to buy it
    http://xplosivgt.net -- Home of my modding ventures
    xPloSiV_gT. | SniperScope Co-Leader
    DM-NightVice | CTF-NanoCore In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch3z View Post
    just make UT3 completely free..... Its already on the Walmart bargain bin shelves and not selling.
    At first that seems a logical thing. However, it would be only profitable if ads would appear in the game. Why? Simply, if then UT4 is being released nobody buys it because UT3 is free and is already good wiht all the mods etc.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I dont care if they make a profit off it. The only thing us players need to care about is the number of people playing free game = more people playing, just look at the 2k4 demo...
    retired....

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheDemonSlick

And every one be nice to the new players! We can pwn them later, after they get hooked and buy the game!
    Server Admins and PS3 hosts... Your machines are crying out for JUSTICE!!! http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=683493
    The Demon Slick went BOOM!
    http://www.freewebs.com/boomshouse/
    The Skaarj Return! Thanks to EE. http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=680443

http://forums.steampowered.com/forum...play.php?f=475

Is a major problem. This was also recently released, and is very big on Steam, and is another big game.

Rhi.T32

Deathless

i have a few friends trying to download it since various times yesterday. the one that is farthest along is on a cable modem with a steam account and she is only at 650MB with a "1.8 days to go" message
    extending it through the week or making it free next weekend again would be great. but we of course have no idea what the mechanics of doing this are at all, so who knows whats possible...

I think doing the free weekend again next weekend but allowing it to pre-load during the week would help spread out the traffic instead of having everyone slamming the server at all times trying to get in immediately.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Confessor_KROZ

No offense to you Sanch3z, I know your a senior member and all and I fully respect that but I have to say making this game free would be a terrible idea. Yes it is about the amount of players online because this game wouldn't survive without its online gaming aspect but I agree with what Seiniyta said about not being able to produce a UT4 if UT3 is amazing and free. Your looking at the short term goal and profit behind it. I think the important thing here is long term and where the franchise will be in the future with the future of the gaming industry.
    Silent but Violent.....

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Hopefully the right people are aware of how important this could be. UT3 is in the spotlight right now, and this can help alot of people.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by KROZ View Post
    No offense to you Sanch3z, I know your a senior member and all and I fully respect that but I have to say making this game free would be a terrible idea. Yes it is about the amount of players online because this game wouldn't survive without its online gaming aspect but I agree with what Seiniyta said about not being able to produce a UT4 if UT3 is amazing and free.
    Its cool KROZ.... keep in mind that if there is a UT4 it would be on a new engine, have better graphics, etc. That alone would or should make people buy it, play it regardless of what UT3 is. I find UT2k4 to be a much better game than UT3 but I cant and dont play it anymore due to the outdated graphics plus since UT3 is the current title that is where all the new community content is as is how a UT4 would be.
    Last edited by Sanch3z; 03-07-2009 at 06:21 PM.
    retired....

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Sanch3z View Post
    Its cool KROZ.... keep in mind that if there is a UT4 it would be on a new engine, have better graphics, etc. That alone would or should make people buy it, play it regardless of what UT3 is. I find UT2k4 to be a much better game than UT3 but I cant and dont play it anymore due to the outdated graphics plus since UT3 is the current title that is where all the new community content is as is how a UT4 would be.
    You are absolutely right, its all about where the community is. And perhaps your right about making this game free. Look at *uakelive, that game is free and is booming. When im not playing unreal im on that game. I would have never given that game a chance if it charged me. Beings that I have played it for free and found out first hand that the game is addictive, I have already made the decision that I am going to buy their next installment. So I still stand on my decision but I also see your side of things and how it could deffinitely help. There is 1 curve ball behind the matter and that is Unreal's learning curve is drastic. Your either great or the rest. I'm not sure everyone is playing the single player campaign or has enough time to mess around with bots when all the fun is online. So I think thats what makes or breaks this game in the long run. Someone made a great comment on here and that was "Don't own the noobs so they'll love it and buy the game" haha I love that line! Perhaps their right because this game can get frustrating if your constantly getting owned and have no idea about the dodging technique (which is not only clutch but what seperates this game from the rest of the fps) or any other which is custom to this game. Ok I think I typed enough
    Silent but Violent.....

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xI Lasarus Ix

A few of my friends are downloading this and its taking them forever, one has been downloading for almost 15 hours and hes at 96 percent by the time its done hes only going to get to play it for about 4-5 hours. There have also been alot more players on which is nice to see and I think that the longer the trail last for the more people will buy it.

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Failureman

I kinda hope that they end it since I just bought it that way I could download it at a half decent speed lol.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

This is why the trial should be extended. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/...20037&t=220057 This is just one example. People "want" to play, but alot are having difficulties.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XI Apathy IX

The free weekend thing is a great idea. Would also be good IMO to extend it a bit like I said earlier, or like this thread suggests.

However, making the game completely free is a really horrible idea.
    Last edited by Apathy; 03-07-2009 at 08:54 PM.
    ||Antec 900||GIGABYTE Z68XP-UD3P||i5-2500K 4.1GHZ(OC'd)||G.Skill 12800 (16GB)||MSI 460 GTX Cyclone||Onboard Sound||Win 7 Ult. 64 bit||
    Yes, I still love PC gaming!

I just hope steam allows me to start the download.. I've owned the game since release, uninstalled the cbps and it bugged out, so I uninstalled the game and have had a chance to get anything going again.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

I think it's safe to say, as the polls show that it needs to be extended. Wheather or not it's for the whole week or for next weekend is going to be decided by the company. I have no problems with the extension just from a gamers perspective, theres plenty more fish to fry like this :P
    Silent but Violent.....

Iron Guard

would be nice to extend it for another week.. as i convinced a few people to download it... main thing that annoyed them is the slow download from steam servers due to the number of people downloading at the same time
    Xfire: Add Me | My Profile

MSgt. Shooter Person

hey sincreater, i played against you earlier.

i said 'extend it for the rest of week' although it is a little long for free gameplay, i think that more people will play if it continues rather than wait until next week to play it again before deciding whether or not to buy it.

then again there are jobs and college to factor in...

Banned

No. It's killing Steam servers for the real people who actually buy games.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tazzywood

I vote for extending this trial.

I have also convinced a few friends to try it (finally ! hehe) who I know would buy it if they could see it in it's glory. They have been trying to download it ( like so many others this weekend) since friday and everytime it starts getting somewhere ( or so it seems), it keeps bugging out and stopping downloading. And by the looks of it, their downloads won't be finished till at the earliest, sunday evening !

MSgt. Shooter Person

If the servers can't handle the game why would people buy it?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tazzywood

Because it's not steam servers that you play on. The steam servers are only for getting the software to your machine as far as this game is concerned.

Banned

All of Steam was lagging Friday because of your idiotic downloads.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Mrn View Post
    No. It's killing Steam servers for the real people who actually buy games.

The last time I checked, UT3 was for sale through steam. Some of those downloads are for UT3 purchase or players that have the retail version being registered and installed through steam.

A couple extra days isnt going to kill anyone, and we are trying to promote a larger community for a game that we love. If your having trouble with steams servers, take it up with them, they should of been ready for this.IMO

its really cheap now, if they want it they should buy it
    http://store.steampowered.com/app/13210/
    ú8.99 thats very cheap

MSgt. Shooter Person

Alas, I know several people who just given up because it refuses to download.

The Sacrifice

Many people have given up, including me. Don't expect a response from Valve either. They are not known for their communication skills.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by [uMA]Decayed View Post
    Many people have given up, including me. Don't expect a response from Valve either. They are not known for their communication skills.
    Hopefully this decision is Epic's. If not, atleast we tried.

Thumbs down

Hopefully this decision is Epic's. If not, atleast we tried.
    Well Valve certainly can't prevent Epic from giving away their game, and that's precisely what Epic should do at this point.

What we had in UT3 was a good game which was so inferior to its predecessor that tens of thousands of people who liked it lost interest very quickly and reinstalled 99 or 2K4. I think many of us are now having pangs and wanting to give this game another chance, especially knowing that the servers will be packed. So you have this enormous rush of people who don't really care about the game anymore, similar to what happened with Diablo 2 last year, except this time we're not digging through bankers boxes for the CDs. This time we're strangling the Steam servers.

The game needs to be free for the simple reason that it won't ever see another spate of sales like it will this week, and if the servers empty out again people will expect UT4 to become an equally lonely experience.

There are also those of us who feel that when we pay for an online game we buy, among other things, the right to play it with other human beings. If your servers empty out and there is no one to play with, we cannot reasonably expect you to hire human opponents to entertain us - but we can damned well expect you to remove every obstacle to a healthy population, and one of those obstacles is the price of admission. It will become clear soon that UT3 simply isn't worth $12. When it becomes clear also that it's not worth $10, then rises the ill spectre of a price lower than that of its turn-of-the-century ancestor. If there is to be a UT4, that cannot happen either.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I think UT3 is a steal at 11.99$, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Think about it... You get the Unreal editor, the game itself+Titan pack, not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of maps/mods/mutators for FREE. Name one other game that does all that for 11.99.

PS: Epic also has something called the make something unreal contest that can allow people to compete for cash, and other prizes, by creating maps/mods/mutators/tools. So anyone that is trying to get into the game industry, this is a huge opportunity to add something big to your portfolio.(if you win) If anyone wants more information, see here: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=618289
    Last edited by Sincreator; 03-08-2009 at 04:23 PM.

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

I think UT3 is a steal at 11.99$, but everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Think about it... You get the Unreal editor, the game itself+Titan pack, not to mention the hundreds, if not thousands of maps/mods/mutators for FREE. Name one other game that does all that for 11.99.

PS: Epic also has something called the make something unreal contest that can allow people to compete for cash, and other prizes, by creating maps/mods/mutators/tools. So anyone that is trying to get into the game industry, this is a huge opportunity to add something big to your portfolio.(if you win) If anyone wants more information, see here: http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=618289
    Ive been thinking about this all day yesterday and all day today and I think it is safe to say, Unreal is so cheap it's practically free, If you can't afford to buy it now then you never will. I think they should extend the free playing for next weekend (only because of the server problems), maybe have people be able to dl all this week and then they receive their cd keys in their e-mail on friday afternoon and let them play it out for the rest of the weekend. After that, it's over, if you can't afford it now you never will be able to. Case closed in my eyes.
    Silent but Violent.....

MSgt. Shooter Person

I dont think its so much as if you cant afford that small price, its more if one want to, atleast for me that is.

Ive played ut since the ut99 demo, and then I wished it for my birthday back then, and got it. UT 2003 was okay, but didnt attract me that much, UT 2004 made me jump around in enjoyment, because of assault returning, the new onslought mode and all of the content it had.

UT 3 I tried the beta demo of back then, and it felt like UT 2003, with nothing special, just a graphics update.

Now, with the free steam weekend, I wanted to give it a serious try. So I downloaded it.

Warfare felt stale, Titan was actually a nice fun new gimmick to the gameplay. No assault mode. The music is almost gone? Meaning, where are all those epic music game tracks that we had on the maps in the previous UT games? I mean, where are the mothership kind of music track in ut3? Look at the gametrailers review of ut 3, and they use ut2004 music for it.

Since this is kind of the fourth UT pc game, it feels kinda stale when the series havent changed that much since 99.

Oh well, that was just my impression of UT 3 from this steam free weekend.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast