MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: WOLFhellfire

Default UT3 2.0 Mod Setup

This is how my mod folders are setup with the new 2.0 patch and the Titan Pack; in case you starting a new mod or needing to update your current project.

Updated 3/12/09

Code:
    - Mod Main Folder
        - Artwork
        - Config
        - Logs
        - Screenshots
        - Shaders
        - Source
             - PackageName
                  + Classes 
        - Splash
             * Splash.BMP
             * EdSplash.BMP
        - Unpublished
             + CustomChars
             + CustomMaps
             + Localization
             + Script
             + Sounds
             + Textures
             + UI
        - Published
             + CustomChars
             + CustomMaps
             + Localization
             + Script
             + Sounds
             + Textures
             + UI

* DirectPlay.exe
        * Editor.exe
        * NormalPlay.exe
        * Rebuild.exe
    DirectPlay.exe
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" DM-CoolLevel?game=PackageName.GameType -useunpublished -mod=..\ModName
    Editor.exe
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" editor -mod=..\ModName
    NormalPlay.exe
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" -useunpublished -mod=..\ModName
    Rebuild.exe
    Code:
    "C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\Binaries\UT3.exe" make -useunpublished -mod=..\ModName
    Last edited by WOLFhellfire; 03-13-2009 at 01:25 AM.

Iron Guard

Nice try but a bit wrong imo. Try to emulate the folder structure of UTGame. The config folder is for .ini files.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFhellfire View Post
    [...]
    Code:
    [...]
        * DirectPlay.exe
        * Editor.exe
        * NormalPlay.exe
        * Rebuild.exe
    Are these self made or a new feature? Still downloading..

Edit: when do you think they will release the ScriptSource_2.0?
    Last edited by Drifa; 03-05-2009 at 08:30 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Jetfire View Post
    Nice try but a bit wrong imo. Try to emulate the folder structure of UTGame. The config folder is for .ini files.
    I thought the same thing until I looked at my folders after I played UT3. I tried to build my mod and it would not work so I checked the files and sure enough. UT3 decided to put all my .u files inside the config folder.

Quote Originally Posted by Drifa View Post
    Are these self made or a new feature? Still downloading..
    I made the .exe files myself to make modding a bit easier. I decompiled the source already but we all know how that goes. The source probably wont be released for awhile if you take in account for how long the others took to come out.
    Last edited by WOLFhellfire; 03-05-2009 at 08:48 AM.

Iron Guard

You probably have '-mod = ..\xgame\config' in your make etc. Remove the \config, it's not needed now.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

That certainly would be a reason why I had to put the source in the config.
    I'll go ahead and change that.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Did anyone have an issue where your player could no longer fire when your custom TC is loaded. I all of a sudden can not fire in game but I can in the editor its the weirdest thing.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I had some remaining config file stuff from the 1.3 build of Unreal Demolition that interfered as well, so surf through your configs and get rid of excess crap.
    Producer - Unreal Demolition

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    Delete your UTInput.ini and let it make a new one.
    Add a +1 to your awesomeness...

MSgt. Shooter Person

My Q. isn't exactly Mod Setup, but it is related, due to the fact it's trying to compile a custom gametype for a Mod, which now uses 2.0.

The gametype compiled fine under 1.3, and the folder structure (which of course is that of the mods) is set up in the same manner as UT3 (folder name for folder name).

Naturally I have my source in the Src folder of the Mods root directory (NbGame).

I've edited the ini files thusly:

DefaultEditor:

[ModPackages]
    ModPackagesInPath=..\NbGame\Src
    ModOutputDir=..\NbGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script
    ModPackages=NbLowLevel
    ModPackages=NightbladeMod
    ModPackages=NbAI
    ModPackages=NbCoDGame

DefaultEngine:

[Editor.EditorEngine]
    ;+EditPackages=NbLowLevel
    ;+EditPackages=NightbladeMod
    ;+EditPackages=NbAI
    ;+EditPackages=NbCoDGame
    InEditorGameURLOptions=?game=nightblademod.nbgamei nfo?quickstart=1?numplay=1

This is how it was for 1.3 and compiled fine, now however on it trying to compile NbCoDGame (my gametype - all other files are the Mods own) it complains about not being able to find the superclasses for all my .uc files.

If I however remove the ; from the +EditP... lines, it reaches whichever EditP... is first in the list (by default this is as you see above, but I did try re-arranging things to see the result) then ut3 make crashes, and the launch.log file shows it can't find the packages NbLowLevel.u etc, which it was quite happy about finding with 1.3.

I'm rather confused as to why it can no longer find my packages in the jump from 1.3 to 2.0, so any suggestions?

*Edit: One thing I have noticed is when it fails with the superclass errors, where the program finishes without crashing (but also without compiling) it creates a scripts folder in Unpublished, rather than use the unpub>cookedpc>scripts folder.

Thanks, Chief
    Last edited by chiefwhosm; 03-07-2009 at 02:36 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

CookedPC no longer exists within the mod directory. It's just Published\<content folders> or Unpublished\<content folders>. That should fix your problem (at least it did for me).
    Producer - Unreal Demolition

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks, the newly released update to the mod still retains CookedPC, however I pmed their coder and he gave me advice that got me there

Had to copy the mods unpublished script files to the ProgramFiles UT3 cookedpc folder, and modify the non-default inis slightly.

But it works and that's the main thing.

Shame about the few errors that have cropped up, ah well it never rains...

Chief

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BobGneu

It is quite a shame that we cant help everyone, but i suggest you give my tutorial a walk through, it works fine, and it has nothing to do witht he programfiles directory. I have tested it personally and have only had a couple issues, specifically relating to the configuration files loading redundant items. It loads everything fine.
    About Me | My Blog | Solarity

TechnicalHome | ScaleformTechnicalGuide | UnrealScriptReference | ReplicationHome | MasteringUnrealScriptBaptismByFire

Kismet makes sense to me when i 'read' it seeming mostly logic based

MSgt. Shooter Person

this completely breaks all my paths for packages as there seems to be no packages folder anymore.
    its now split between sounds shaders and textures
    Final Year Game Design student making his way.
    UTBot.UC line 560
    Code:
    // if the flag is covered by the vehicle we rammed into, count that as touching it
    // yeah, that's technically cheating, but if we had more time we'd do this for players too
    // because parking a vehicle on the flag is lame
    AMD64 x2 4400+
    Asus AN8 x32 Mobo
    NVIDIA 512mb 7950GT
    4Gig Kingston HyperX
    300Gig SataII Raid array

www.NoNewCoalTees.com

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kyben

Quote Originally Posted by chiefwhosm View Post
    Thanks, the newly released update to the mod still retains CookedPC, however I pmed their coder and he gave me advice that got me there
    I was getting an Ambigious error message for all my packages when compiling or trying to play, so I tried moving them under Unpublished and walla, problem fixed.

thanks schenksmill.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have the basic game up and running again now however it has removed the settings scenes from my package and refuses to use my custom skin now.

lol its always two steps forward and one step back with me
    Final Year Game Design student making his way.
    UTBot.UC line 560
    Code:
    // if the flag is covered by the vehicle we rammed into, count that as touching it
    // yeah, that's technically cheating, but if we had more time we'd do this for players too
    // because parking a vehicle on the flag is lame
    AMD64 x2 4400+
    Asus AN8 x32 Mobo
    NVIDIA 512mb 7950GT
    4Gig Kingston HyperX
    300Gig SataII Raid array

www.NoNewCoalTees.com

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Kyben View Post
    I was getting an Ambigious error message for all my packages when compiling or trying to play, so I tried moving them under Unpublished and walla, problem fixed.

thanks schenksmill.
    Mother of pearl... So I thought the above worked but it didn't really. Hosting a server crashes the game for some reason, and looking in the log I was getting really weird messages. This was happening for all my config files:
    Code:
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\UTEditor.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\UTEditor.ini
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\DefaultEditor.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\DefaultEditor.ini
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\UTEngine.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\UTEngine.ini
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\DefaultEngine.ini
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\UTGame.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\UTGame.ini
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\DefaultGame.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\DefaultGame.ini
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\UTInput.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\UTInput.ini
    Log: ----> Replacing ..\UTGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini with ..\BSMod\Config\DefaultInput.ini
    then I get a really long list like this:
    Code:
    Log: Failed to find Package GuidCache_CustomChars to FullyLoad [FullyLoadType = 3, Tag = ]
    Log: Failed to find Package GuidCache_CustomChars to FullyLoad [FullyLoadType = 3, Tag = ]
    Log: Failed to find Package GuidCache_CustomMaps to FullyLoad [FullyLoadType = 3, Tag = ]
    Log: Failed to find Package GuidCache_CustomMaps to FullyLoad [FullyLoadType = 3, Tag = ]
    Log: Failed to find Package GuidCache_CustomWeapons to FullyLoad [FullyLoadType = 3, Tag = ]
    Log: Failed to find Package GuidCache_CustomWeapons to FullyLoad [FullyLoadType = 3, Tag = ]
    Whats weird is in instant action it all seemed to work.
    Well, I did some digging in the .ini's to see if I could maybe find something that could fix 'hosting a server from crashing'.
    I noticed this: SeekFreePCPaths=..\BSMod\CookedPC and changed it to SeekFreePCPaths=..\BSMod, but then I got the ambigious error again for each package. Great, I'm back to square one.

Heres what it says exactly: Ambiguous package name: Using 'C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\BSMod\Published\Characters\CH_SWATMale.upk', not 'C:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament 3\BSMod\Unpublished\Characters\CH_SWATMale.upk'

All I can think of now is that maybe Unpublished and Published aren't used at all anymore? It looks like its mixing both of them up.
    Am I the only one having this problem?
    Last edited by Kyben; 03-10-2009 at 01:16 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I noticed this: SeekFreePCPaths=..\BSMod\CookedPC and changed it to SeekFreePCPaths=..\BSMod, but then I got the ambigious error again for each package.
    I don't think you need SeekFreePCPaths anymore.

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is all I have for my .ini files (besides some mod-specific ones) and it seems to work fine:

Code:
    DefaultEngine.ini:
    [URL]
    Map=UTFrontEnd_MOD.ut3
    LocalMap=UTFrontEnd_MOD.ut3
    TransitionMap=EnvyEntry_MOD.ut3
    GameName=My Mod
    GameNameShort=MOD

[FullScreenMovie]
    -StartupMovies=Copyright_PC
    -StartupMovies=EpicLogo
    -StartupMovies=MidwayLogo
    -StartupMovies=UE3_logo
    -StartupMovies=Nvidia_PC
    -StartupMovies=Intel_Duo_Logo
    -StartupMovies=UT_loadmovie1

[Configuration]
    BasedOn=..\UTGame\Config\DefaultEngine.ini

DefaultEditor.ini:
    [Configuration]
    BasedOn=..\UTGame\Config\DefaultEditor.ini

[ModPackages]
    ModPackages=MyModPackage

MSgt. Shooter Person

...and my folder setup:

C:\Games\MyMod
    • Config
    • Help
    • Shaders
    • Splash
    • Src
      • MyModPackage
        • Classes
    • Published
      • Script
      • CoreAssets
      • Missions
      • MissionAssets
    • Unpublished
      • Script
      • CoreAssets
      • Missions
      • MissionAssets

edit: I compile with UT3.exe make -mod=C:\Games\MyMod -modsrc -useunpublished

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Thank you Archasis, I'll try that when I get home.
    What does '-modsrc' do exactly?

Prisoner 849
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BobGneu

It allows you to have the mod directory outside of the mod's directory

it is completely suprefluous and wasted in this context.
    About Me | My Blog | Solarity

TechnicalHome | ScaleformTechnicalGuide | UnrealScriptReference | ReplicationHome | MasteringUnrealScriptBaptismByFire

Kismet makes sense to me when i 'read' it seeming mostly logic based

MSgt. Shooter Person

btw, the -modsrc param allows you to compile without specifying ModPackagesInPath & ModOutputDir paths.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Here's the info about -modsrc from Josh Adams:

Also, script compiling can now be done easily with -mod:

ut3 make -mod=D:\MyMod [-modsrc]

If you specify -mod when compiling, it will save the .u files to:

D:\MyMod\Unpublished\Script\ModPkg1.u
    D:\MyMod\Unpublished\Script\ModPkg2.u

If you add the optional -modsrc option, it will look for mod script code here _instead of_ in UTGame\Src:

D:\MyMod\Src\ModPkg1\Classes\*.uc
    D:\MyMod\Src\ModPkg2\Classes\*.uc

I made it optional so people that don't want their script code in their -mod directory can still have the .uc files outside of the directory structure (so you can just zip up the mod dir without your script code included).

So, with the above directory structure, and using this DefaultEditor.ini in MyMod\Config, I can easily compile the script package:

[Configuration]
    BasedOn=..\UTGame\Config\DefaultEditor.ini

[ModPackages]
    ModPackages=MyModPackage

No need to mess with ModPackagesInPath or ModOutputDir or anything like that.
    I use -modsrc because my source is in a directory outside of UTGame/Src and I don't use MadPackagesInPath or modOutputDir... so not completely suprefluous and wasted in this context.
    Last edited by Archasis; 03-12-2009 at 12:37 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Uh I like it, I tried to set up my mod outside of my docs before and got some serious errors. But this works really smooth. Thanks for the quote.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah, I'm a fan of the new -mod setup for 2.0.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Where is that quote from btw? Maybe I missed some other cool stuff? ^^

MSgt. Shooter Person

It's from the UT3MODS mailing list, sent out during the beta testing of 2.0. The email subject was "[ut3mods] Patch3 -mod changes heads-up" initiated by Josh. Here's what the beginning of it said:

Okay, so next beta will see some big changes for the -mod handling based on your guys' feedback. If anyone can think of a showstopping reason this won't work, speak up ASAP.

Here is the new mod directory structure. Note the lack of a CookedPC directory (it is extraneous in the -mod case).

MyMod\Config
    MyMod\Splash
    MyMod\Logs
    MyMod\Localization\...
    MyMod\Unpublished\Script\*.u
    MyMod\Unpublished\...
    MyMod\Published\Script\*.u
    MyMod\Published\...
    [MyMod\Src\MyModPackage\Classes\*.uc] <-- optional, see below

It now understands Published vs Unpublished (including use of -unpublished, which never made sense with -mod before), and you can now publish your maps from within the editor (if you run the editor with -mod).
    I'm guessing the "-unpublished" is supposed to be "-useunpublished," but I could be wrong.
    Last edited by Archasis; 03-13-2009 at 12:40 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the heads up, I am new to this mod stuff. I am just starting on one , so any information is good information to me. Starting on a bloody fps war mod , taking place in the vietnam war . Its going to be called operation nervekill.

I got one question for you , how much facial animation can the engine handel. Is it very detailed , complex or is it linear.

Lost in my own never ending passion.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NA

Lots of good stuff here! THX All!
    ..the final stage of the life cycle