Default Speed up my internet connection for online gaming

heyyy i was wondering does any1 know how to speed up online gaming ??? cheers

MSgt. Shooter Person

Umm, I think that you're not the only one who wants to do that.
    Please sign the petition for the making of the new UT3 demo: http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=692743.

ThaMarine's daily politics (for liberal eyes only):

Creationist are the proof that there is no inteligent design.

Get a better internet connection.

Sorry, but that's pretty much your only option, if you're purely talking about getting a better ping.

Make sure you're not running any other applications that may be using the internet (eg, downloading stuff) while playing.
    UT3 PC tag: Vulkor

There are certainly a few things you can do (ADSL).

1. Use an ISP that has low latency. Get some friends to do some pingplotter runs, and see what route they have. Some will have 18 hops before reaching the gaming server - others will have 8.

2. Make sure that your line it not interleaved - this lowers latency. Usually you have to ask your ISP to do this. It lowers bandwidth, but decreases ping. Again you need an ISP that does not have idiots behind the phone.

3. Plug in your router to the main telephone socket, using a high quality filtering faceplate that you can buy ......even if this means that you run a high quality cable from there to your router - wherever that might be in your house.

Rhi.T32

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheDemonSlick

Make sure your wife isn't downloading videos on her laptop in the middle of your match. Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    Server Admins and PS3 hosts... Your machines are crying out for JUSTICE!!! http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=683493
    The Demon Slick went BOOM!
    http://www.freewebs.com/boomshouse/
    The Skaarj Return! Thanks to EE. http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=680443

Deathless

Getting a better connection is the best way. For residential connections, FIOS (fiber optic) is the fastest followed by cable and then DSL.

You can also optimize your home network.
    Before GameSpy went dark I played as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, and {T0std}
    My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.2Ghz and GTX780 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz

Quote Originally Posted by The Demon Slick View Post
    Make sure your wife isn't downloading videos on her laptop in the middle of your match. Waaaaaahhhhhhh!!!!!!!
    HAHAHA. Seriously, make sure no one on your network is downloading or uploading anything.

You can also try TCP/IP Optimizer. Try googling it. This will help you get the most out of your existing ISP.

You can also make sure that your router or Motherboard software isn't limiting your bandwidth. My eVGA 680i motherboard comes with software that you can turn on/off FirstPacketSharing (or something like that). You can add the program so it gets the preferred bandwidth.

Banned

Better connection, video card, clean hard drive, etc... .

Iron Guard

A "better internet connection" will only help so much and not much (unless your current connection is incredibly crappy to begin with).

Your "internet connection" is an applicable quantity only between you and your ISP...which is similar to going out of your house into your driveway. If your driveway has a foot of snow behind the car, your can "improve" your situation by shoveling the driveway...this is what a "better internet connection" does for you. However, when gaming, you have to get past your ISP and out to the server; just like you have to get out of your driveway to get to work or school. At this point your "connection" to your destination is out of your control.

Once you get out of the driveway, the ease in getting to work is dependent upon the snow removal crews and the ease in getting to the gaming server is dependent upon the real internet, over which neither you nor your ISP have any control.

How do you speed up your online gaming? Chose servers that are close to you, which have few hops, and low pings. Better...run your own server and make the other players come to you.
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI | CPU HSF: Zalman 9700LED | RAM: 4x2GB G-Skill Pi Black PC6400 | GPU: 2xEVGA 8800GTX ACS³ KO - SLI | Sound: onboard | PSU: BFG 1000W | Case: XClio Windtunnel | Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW | Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech G15/G7 | Win7 Home Premium

As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.

Iron Guard

If we are going to try and paint a picture, I'll make it easier.

Your ping and internet speed will be limited by the distance and traffic between your pc and the server you are playing on.

Lets say right now you have a slow internet connection, a little ole rusty Volvo with three hub caps, then the time it takes you to drive from your house to the server, is very long. Let's say you go out to the dealership and buy a new car (new and faster internet connection), then now you will be zooming to the server and your ping will be lower.
    ***However: You new car can only go so fast when traveling to the server. Ya it can zoom right on out the driveway, but once you get on the highway you are limited by the other cars around you. (you can't go 90 miles per hour on the highway when everyone else around you is in a traffic jam). So if a lot of other cars are making traffic in the route you go on to the server, then your ping will rise.

A faster internet connection will improve your ping some, but if you already have a somewhat fast connection do not expect too much.

I'd just hang in like for like 3 more weeks or so, Epic will release the new patch soon (hopefully) and with that your ping will go down, because they have improved some networking stuff. Good luck

Iron Guard

Get a router with bandwidth management - I got a Draytek Vigour -and limit the rest of the house so they hog the bandwidth downloading stuff .

I use it to good effect and theres often two off us gaming and two surfin,msnin and downloading all at the same time and all I have is a 3MBdown 1MBup ADSL2+ connection
    «ne» UT3 Community
    Never lose a map from your UT3 cache folder here
    «ne» UT3 BTA Server open 81.19.221.203:7780
    «ne» Map Packs Greed/Warfare/DM/VCTF/ONS2.0 here
    UT3 Benchmark results here

Hey,just follow some tips to make your speed up
    -->Configure your browser so it won't display graphics, animations, sound, video or other multimedia content (see "How to Turn Off Sounds, Pictures or Video on Web Pages").
    -->Surf when Internet traffic is low. Heaviest traffic is usually on weekends and evenings.
    -->Use your cache effectively. "Cache" refers to storage space where your recently visited Web sites are saved. You may need to resize your cache allotment, or you may need to purge your cache periodically. Look through your browser's menus for items named Cache, Temporary Internet files and so on.
    -->Upgrade your modem.
    -->Consult with your Internet service provider to ensure that your modem is configured correctly.
    -->Replace your telephone modem with a fast-access connection such as wave, ISDN, DSL, satellite, a cable modem.
    and now check your connection speed here Ip-Details.com
    even then your connection speed didnt get speed up then you better contact your service provider..

The Sacrifice

Quote Originally Posted by ejcullen View Post
    -->Upgrade your modem.
    lol, nice retro gaming advice. I'm looking for a 14.4 v.42 to replace this old 2400 baud POS, then i can really start pwning

Banned

speed up your internet connection or optimize your PC?

Banned

this topic was started in 09' ???

what the