Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Apophis3d

Service (PC) Level Design wiki & Tutorials

Hey everyone I haven't been on the forums for quite awhile now been working on finishing up college. Now that I am getting close to graduation I have started writing a wiki on elements of good level design vs bad level level design. Along with working on some tutorials of UT3. The tutorials will be viewable to anyone that visits my site once they are done. They are not currently displayed on the site. The wiki however has started to be compiled, in order to use the wiki you will have to register on the site. Otherwise I would have spam bots putting crap into my wiki and we would not want that.

So feel free to check it out at http://www.apophis3d.net , it should be pretty informative for both beginner and advanced level designers. It can even be made better with the help of other level designers. Just keep in mind the wiki is not a step by step guide on making a level, its guidelines on what makes a good level.
    My UT3 video tutorials: Apophis3d.net Tutorials My Portfolio Site: HatchieDesign.com

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tactical Burst

I find it strange, because most of the ''tutorials'' or books do not explain how to lead players through a level and I think it is one of the biggest part of the job.

That's usually beyond the scope of most tutorials, where the objective is simply to get you familiar with the use of the tools.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Apophis3d

That's what I am working on doing, I found the 3D Buzz tutorials to be rather lacking in what they showed. They are fairly basic but it seemed to me that they did not get a lot of time with the new engine before they made those tuts. Most of the time they used the subtractive method, which yes it works but it does have drawbacks like slower light build times. I also find it harder to edit things later if something needs to be changed.
    My UT3 video tutorials: Apophis3d.net Tutorials My Portfolio Site: HatchieDesign.com

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Tactical Burst

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    That's usually beyond the scope of most tutorials, where the objective is simply to get you familiar with the use of the tools.
    I agree... using theTools is one thing, but I think making Level Design is another.