MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: ShadowlurkerCoB

Lightbulb Character Swap Idea

So lately ive been working on archtypes for a project, and i thought of an idea. I was able to rig up a simple trigger when i hit it as one character say cole, i hit the trigger then i changed into a locust. But then as a locust i could not change back into cole. I think it has to do with the variables and the archtypes somehow. I havent had too much time to work on it, but anyway would it be possible to say switch from character to character in game. Example: Say im with the crew of baird marcus dom and cole. Well I press "y" on my controller and i switch to baird whos behind cover, then press "y" again and im dom. Kinda like a squad based game. But i dont have a controller for the input action in kismet so i havent got to tinker too much. Would it be feasible and has anybody done/tried it? Thanks for your time.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Liquid Leary

The switch is possible. I'm not sure what affect it has on gameplay when using archetypes though. Should be ok in theory.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Yea i know its possible to switch but when i tried it i had difficulties switching back. So i was thinking making an archtype of dom and marcus. So that was i could use both of the variables.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by shadowlurker View Post
    Yea i know its possible to switch but when i tried it i had difficulties switching back. So i was thinking making an archtype of dom and marcus. So that was i could use both of the variables.
    I'll give it a shot tonight. I have switched back and forth using one custom archetype and one AI factory spawn and had no problems. The AI immediately engaged upon exiting the archetype player no problem. The Death event might get a little tricky to kismet with several players available. Otherwise this should be a hit.

Feel free to send me some kismet samples if you want. I wouldn't expect switching back to be a big issue, but my work was completely different from what you are doing.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Yea if you could get it to work could you post up a kismet sequence? Or pm one to me whichever you prefer. Do you have an xbox 360 controller for the input kismet sequence? Cause that might make a difference when it comes to switching on demand. As for a death, maybe when actor dies then possess the other pawn or use a take damage. I dont know just a thought.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Do you have an xbox 360 controller for the input kismet sequence? Cause that might make a difference when it comes to switching on demand.
    I don't need one.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

So your gonna switch it with keyboard? I didnt know you could change the input kismet sequence.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Last edited by LiquidLeary; 01-15-2009 at 12:25 AM.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

So your gonna switch it with keyboard? I didnt know you could change the input kismet sequence.
    The buttons sync up, you don't have to do anything.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Hmm i never knew the buttons synced up like that lol. Nifty. Thanks for the kismet sequence! I dont have my computer working at the time still... So i cant test it. So this works with the death too? Thanks for the help!

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

I dont have my computer working at the time still... So i cant test it. So this works with the death too? Thanks for the help!
    That does not cover Death events. Once you get this kismet implemented, the death event triggers should be pretty simple (unless you have a ton of bots :P). Good luck with your system.

Thanks LiquidLeary that sequence works awesome!

However it seems to stop the two archtypes from being friendlies.

I cant seem to use the get teammate function properly or figure a way to get the opposite archtype to be reassigned to a Dom or other friendly AI type.

Do you have any ideas?

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Was this resolved?

A New Action> Actor >Assign Controller gets the abandoned COG moving again, but they aren't on the same team. You may want to play around with it some and see if it works.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

No we gave up on it for our project however i still would like to know how to do this. Very Badly. We have a problem with the collision, when your by a static mesh you cannot switch over. Its some very strange issue. Only so many times you can switch then nothing. Jos3ph has the kismet for it. Wanna post it up Jos3ph?

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

We have a problem with the collision, when your by a static mesh you cannot switch over. Its some very strange issue. Only so many times you can switch then nothing.
    I haven't noticed the static mesh issue, but hopefully there is a way around it that doesn't require a ton of work.

You may need to limit the frequency of switches the player is allowed to use since it stops working after a while, or at least set a timer between switches so the player can't spam the trigger.

this works to get them on the same team i think.

it is possible to change the radius of the collision on the player to avoid the static actor overlap issue.

However it is not possible to spawn into cover so this method of the swap is not the proper solution.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jos3ph View Post
    this works to get them on the same team i think.

it is possible to change the radius of the collision on the player to avoid the static actor overlap issue.

However it is not possible to spawn into cover so this method of the swap is not the proper solution.
    Could you order the AI to move toward the active player or some random target just before the swap, this way they will leave cover before switching pawns?

The sequence looks good, although I am confused about the AI Factories. Are the actors respawning each time you switch?

in this sequence when the swap happens it basically puts you in the other body and spawns a new dom and puts him in the body you just came out of.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by jos3ph View Post
    in this sequence when the swap happens it basically puts you in the other body and spawns a new dom and puts him in the body you just came out of.
    That's a pretty creative solution. I'll mess with the Assign Controller some more to see if it can work. You could also use Death events and take out God mode if you wanted your pawns to be able to die. But it might be more fun just leaving God mode On since bots don't do much more than serve as bait anyway.