Default Computer locing up (Freddy Krueger is on the loose)

I have been having this problem for a while, but I thought my so-called new computer would have solved the issue. When I play UT 3 for a while, the entire computer will freeze and the screen will look something like this...

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Most of my computer is new, except the video card. I have tried different drivers. I am using an after market cooler for the card, but it seems to handle everything else (including Crysis Wars).

Any help would be appreciated.

Spec:
    CPU: Intel Quad Core 2.83 (1333)
    RAM: Patriot 4 GB DDR 3 (1066) (Only 2 GB is recognized)
    Video: EVGA 8800 GT 512 MB (Factory Overclocked)

Palace Guard

That looks like an overheating or driver issue. Have you verified your temperatures while playing? It's possible the heatsink isn't seated properly. Use RivaTuner to check temperatures. You can also use Rivatuner to crank up the fan speed if you need to.

Update to the latest drivers.

You can also try underclocking your video card. Why not? RivaTuner can do that easily as well.

Afterthought: What else in your computer is not new? What about the memory? Why does it only recognize 2 GB?

I have tried the latest drivers and it doesn't help. I am using an older version so I can play BF 2142 (newest ones have a graphical glitch that really hurts game play).

Currently, one of the bolts (out of 4 broke, so my card isn't seated "perfectly", but before, it was and the problems still happened. Though, they could be happening more with the broken bolt. I will put the stock fan on.

I have tried to guage the heat (as this was my presumption), but when I use EVGA's Precision to monitor it, it affects the game play really badly. I get good frame rates (per FRAPS), but it feels like I there is a lot of lag.

I will try RivaTuner and see what I get. The other things that aren't new are the hard drives and external hardware (monitors, keyboard, mice, ect).

I don't know exactly why I can't see more than 2 GB. I know there is a limit for XP 32bit, but it should be more. On my last computer, it showed 2.99, now it shows 1.99. I do have a new motherboard (old and new were Intel), but am using the exact same copy of XP.

Palace Guard

Sounds like you're only seeing one of your RAM sticks, assuming you have 2x2GB sticks. You should be able to see about 3.5 GB using a 32 bit OS. There's definitely something wrong with your RAM, or the slot that it's in. You should pull them one at a time and determine which one isn't working, then try them both in each slot to try and determine if it's a slot that isn't working. If you have 4 slots, then you can just use the other two. Of course, in an ideal world you want your two sticks in matching slots (usually color coded) so that you take advantage of DDR.

That's probably not the problem though. Even though your cooling solution isn't seated perfectly, one bolt out of forty doesn't sound too serious. It's also possible that the thermal material between heat sink and chips isn't applied ideally. I wouldn't mess with any of that until verifying your temperatures with Rivatuner. On my system, Rivatuner has no performance impact that I'm aware of.

Quote Originally Posted by bclagge View Post
    Sounds like you're only seeing one of your RAM sticks, assuming you have 2x2GB sticks. You should be able to see about 3.5 GB using a 32 bit OS. There's definitely something wrong with your RAM, or the slot that it's in. You should pull them one at a time and determine which one isn't working, then try them both in each slot to try and determine if it's a slot that isn't working. If you have 4 slots, then you can just use the other two. Of course, in an ideal world you want your two sticks in matching slots (usually color coded) so that you take advantage of DDR.
    I tired that when I first built the computer. The memory and the slots are fine. When I first built the computer, I only had my 6200 LE (PCI card), the system recognized 2.49 GB of RAM. When I added my main card (8800 GT PCI-E), it dropped down.

That's probably not the problem though. Even though your cooling solution isn't seated perfectly, one bolt out of forty doesn't sound too serious. It's also possible that the thermal material between heat sink and chips isn't applied ideally. I wouldn't mess with any of that until verifying your temperatures with Rivatuner. On my system, Rivatuner has no performance impact that I'm aware of.
    Edit: It got to the point when I couldn't even boot up to windows. I pulled an old card out of my old computer and plugged it it, seems to work just fine. I think my procrastination has gotten the best of me. As my card has done this soo much, I think I finally burnt it out of it's memory. I will pick up a new card tomorrow and chaulk this one in the "lessons learned" category.

Sorry for the typo, it's one out of four bolts that's not tightened down. I tried newer dirivers, but now the game locks up while in the menu. I did install and try RivaTuner and my computer locked up at 49 C, which isn't that high.

I am in the process of reinstalling the game. It only does this in UT 3 and only when in the game (the editor runs fine). If those doesn't work, I will try installing the original fan, check the seating in the PCI-E slot, and the seating of the power cable.