Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Banned

Map - Deathmatch (PC) DM-TheLostColony[MSUC Entry][PC and PS3][Fixed Versions!]

Name: The Lost Colony
    Version: Final
    Compatibility: UE3
    Description: A group of scientists were studying certain aspects in the field of biology that have to deal with water. They were trying to make water as a new fuel source. The first task: Get the water to power the station. After 12 weeks of continued success, the government has lost contact with the scientists. They were unable to reach them for a good while, until they sent a search group. They found the station empty, but the clothes of the scientists were still there, all on the floor. To this day, no one knows what has happened to them. Investigators believe that they were not just studying a new fuel source, but tampering with marine life enhancements. Applying the DNA of sea creatures to certain unidentifiable subjects. The case is still unsolved.
    Comments: My latest released map. This map is my best work yet. I spent a lot of time on this one, and i hope you enjoy it. I have also included a PS3 download because I am a PS3 user. So pc users and ps3 users both win with this one. Im working on another big project, that is Halo themed. I've set up a thread, but the screens are now very outdated. i've developed more on it. So you will be seeing more from me soon.
    Screenshot:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Credits: Me, Epic Games for their wonderful Unreal Engine. This map wouldn't look this beautiful on any other.
    Homepage: Working on it.
    Download:
    PC Download

PS3 Download
    Last edited by EpicJon; 11-30-2008 at 07:17 PM. Reason: Fixed Versions

Thumbs up Finally !

Congrats !
    = Buffy The Jedi Knight =

Redeemer

W00t its done.

Will download asap.

Cheers EpicJ
    BIGBADABOOM!!!

Iron Guard

Very nice. Downloading.
    I want to play Unreal for a living.

MSgt. Shooter Person

o yeah , cant wait to check it out, i have been lookn forward to this map.
    psn = TeflonToken

MSgt. Shooter Person

ok, I started to play TheLostColony and everything was lookn great, I got a couple of kills then my ps3 locked up. Ifigured it might be a one time thing so I loaded the map back up and before i could get another kill, the game froze up again. Is this happening for anyone else? or is it just my ps3? either way the map was lookn real sweet before it crashed
    psn = TeflonToken

MSgt. Shooter Person

nice n stylish 1 jonny
    DM-1on1-Instinct-Q3T5
    Xtended quake3 Map.

DM-1on1-Spliff
    ReMIX of DM-1on1-Trite from UT2k4.

DM-Freezem
    coooool Shock Rifle Fun/AIM map.

Boomshot

good job m8 it look nice
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by UT3fan2008 View Post
    ok, I started to play TheLostColony and everything was lookn great, I got a couple of kills then my ps3 locked up. Ifigured it might be a one time thing so I loaded the map back up and before i could get another kill, the game froze up again. Is this happening for anyone else? or is it just my ps3? either way the map was lookn real sweet before it crashed
    yes the map stops the game, I was then a beautiful statue
    I play with pc

Banned

Thanks guys. Also, make sure you have the latest patch (1.3) because i built it on that version. Other than that, i don't know what to tell you. It works fine for me (PC and PS3), and other people seem to be playing it fine. Check your patch version

-EJon

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm all patched up, i've tried to play this map twice and it has compeltely crashed my pc twice.

MSgt. Shooter Person

you know you cant log into psn without the latest updates, i wonder why it would install fine , loadup fine ,then freeze up after playn half a round. lets just see if any more people report this problem
    psn = TeflonToken

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: joel791e

same hare dont work on my pc or ps3. man this map looks nice
    Perky Prince 696

MSgt. Shooter Person

someone told me ,it needs to be recooked using correct frontends whatever that means
    psn = TeflonToken

Banned

I am so sorry about this guys I'll recook the map and re-upload it as soon as i can. Im not on the pc with my files right now. But it should be re-upped tonight.

-EJon

MSgt. Shooter Person

Any news on this..? I would love to be able to play this on my PC...Looks real nice

Swifty

Banned

Im sorry, i am busy right now with other content, and i can't do it at this moment. Its on my schedule though. I believe it should be up no later than sunday.

-EJon

My game locks up just as I am spawning it and I do have the 1.3 patch. Since you will be recooking, I suggest you rename the actual file to something different. This will prevent any mismatched versions out on the web.

Banned

The archive? or the .ut3 file?

-EJon

Banned

Well im not renaming the map because of some servers, you should be able to delete itthe old version from it, and replace it with the new version.

-EJon

Quote Originally Posted by EpicJon View Post
    Well im not renaming the map because of some servers, you should be able to delete itthe old version from it, and replace it with the new version.

-EJon
    Umm, that's the reason why you should. The player can have both files on their computer. This is the kind of things that will upset people, especially those not knowledge about file versions.

Banned

You want me to rename my map, so people who already have it can get the new version? For some people the map works, for most it doesn't. For the ones who don't have it working, this thread will be updated with a new file replacing the old. So i wouldn't have to rename my map. Im a bit confused by your comment. Tell me if this answers your question.

-EJon

MSgt. Shooter Person

i was just wondering if the link has already been updated ?
    psn = TeflonToken

Banned

Im working on it now I'll put an update in the title so people will know

-EJon

MSgt. Shooter Person

ok, thx for the hard work. we all want to see your great map
    psn = TeflonToken

You want me to rename my map, so people who already have it can get the new version? For some people the map works, for most it doesn't. For the ones who don't have it working, this thread will be updated with a new file replacing the old. So i wouldn't have to rename my map. Im a bit confused by your comment. Tell me if this answers your question.

-EJon
    Let say you have two people. The first person has your original map and it works fine. The second person needs the newer version. If you kept the file name the same, these two people can't play the "same" map together because they have really have two different verisons of the map.

Banned

Check the first page!

-EJon

MSgt. Shooter Person

It works! But you forgot the ini file.

It's a decently fun map, though rather odd. the water and portal thingy elements create very uniqe gameplay but the layout is a bit confusing. felt like I did a lot of back tracking. Though i was often pleasently suprised finding how different areas are connected.
    also the jump pads seem to send you more straight up than toward the target platform. Made then a bit of a chore to use and the bots seem to get stuck on them.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by danjw_net View Post
    It works! But you forgot the ini file.
    Not too sure on this....But I have d/L'ed Maps before "without" a .ini file, and there has been no problems running a map without one....But, I think the .ini file is created when you first play the map...as when I recheck my CustomMaps folder..the .ini file is now there...I think that how it works...But not sure

But real nice Map though.... Thank you

Swifty

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks guys. Also, make sure you have the latest patch (1.3) because i built it on that version. Other than that, i don't know what to tell you. It works fine for me (PC and PS3), and other people seem to be playing it fine. Check your patch version

-EJon

good jonny

good work
    upper class map definitly
    DM-1on1-Instinct-Q3T5
    Xtended quake3 Map.

DM-1on1-Spliff
    ReMIX of DM-1on1-Trite from UT2k4.

DM-Freezem
    coooool Shock Rifle Fun/AIM map.

Banned

Thanks guys i left out the .ini file this time because i think that was the problem. I didn't play the map and let it create its own, i created one from scratch. I'll probably release an optimized, more polished version in early April before the MSUC phase 3. So those problems with a jumpad or anything else i seemed to have missed will be fixed. But for right now, its not gonna kill you Im very busy with two maps atm. The Halo inspired one, and another one which just got through with the Alpha stages and is now a beta. I will add pathing and weapon placements, and polish it up a bit before you see a first public release. The map uses a lot of kismet animation and special effects

Thanks,

-EJon

MSgt. Shooter Person

it works great on my ps3 now, thx for the fix. if you ever want someone to shoot at on the ps3 , send a psn friends invite to UT3fan2008
    psn = TeflonToken

MSgt. Shooter Person

siiikness, pics look great, dling now

my map has this sorta theme (top two floors anyway) can take some tips
    http://xplosivgt.net -- Home of my modding ventures
    xPloSiV_gT. | SniperScope Co-Leader
    DM-NightVice | CTF-NanoCore In Progress

Banned

@UT3Fan - I don't play online much because of the lag. But if i ever do, iw ill add you

@xPloSiV - What tips would you like? Do this via pm

-EJon

MSgt. Shooter Person

Played it today, totally loved the layout
    http://xplosivgt.net -- Home of my modding ventures
    xPloSiV_gT. | SniperScope Co-Leader
    DM-NightVice | CTF-NanoCore In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by xPloSiV View Post
    Played it today, totally loved the layout
    Really? To me the layout is very uninspiring, mainly a bunch of rooms connected by hallways. Most of the fighting takes place on one level.

I really like the look of the map and how you built it (meshes, lighting, etc). But as I stated, the game play is lacking and it's not just the basic layout.

1. The jump pad that goes from the link gun room to the 2 jump pads (which lead to the rocket launcher) don't work at all for the bots. When you get to the 2 jump pads, the left one doesn't really work that well.

2. While I understand the reason for putting those meshes around the rocket launcher, the entire room is too small to move around in and have a decent fight.

3. A player can't walk up the small stairs that lead to the room with the bio gun, a player shouldn't have to jump on stairs to walk up them.

4. You should put a blocking volume so a player doesn't get stuck inside the railing and the curved glass wall near the stinger pick up.

5. The passage way from the shock rifle to the rocket launcher is way too cramped. The player and bots can easily snag on a mesh and stop them cold. There is a balance between challenging and frustrating, this area tips too much to the frustrating side.

6. In general, Some areas seemed like they are not connected well with the rest of the map.

I find the map pleasing to look at, but not to play. I guess other's have a different opinion. But you should really consider taking what you have and making it better. Good luck in the contest.

Banned

Thanks xPloSiV

@Odedge - Your one to talk about a layout being uninspiring
    I've had this map tested by many people, and i haven't heard half of the stuff you were saying. If i didn't know any better i would have thought you were trying to flame my map. Im an artist. My type of art doesn't appeal to everyone, obviously it doesn't appeal to you. I have play-tested this map with bots, and with live people, and i've never had anyone get "stuck" in a "cramped" passage way. I hope you enjoyed the map, if you didn't, then too bad. Im not trying to please one person, but many with my maps. And obviously the positive comments out-weight your comments.

-EJon

@Odedge - Your one to talk about a layout being uninspiring
    I've had this map tested by many people, and i haven't heard half of the stuff you were saying. If i didn't know any better i would have thought you were trying to flame my map. Im an artist. My type of art doesn't appeal to everyone, obviously it doesn't appeal to you. I have play-tested this map with bots, and with live people, and i've never had anyone get "stuck" in a "cramped" passage way. I hope you enjoyed the map, if you didn't, then too bad. Im not trying to please one person, but many with my maps. And obviously the positive comments out-weight your comments.

-EJon
    I agree that my first map for the game was uninspiring. It was made to be simple so I can learn the editor. I also would agree that I need to learn how to make a map that fits the traditional DM layout.

My comments were from the perspective of a player. We all can agree that what's considered "fun" for one person may not be the same for another. I eluded this in my first post.

Just because people don't say something, doesn't mean that much. Too many people post fairly trivial feedback ("nice map", "looks good", etc). Very few people will give constructive praise or complaints.

If more people like your map, then not, then you are on the right track. But every person who makes maps (or anything creative they show to anyone else), needs to be able to take all types of comments. My comments are meant to help you possibly improve your map, not to flame. I find that a waste of time.

Like I said, I wish good luck in the contest.

Banned

I can take constructive criticism, but when people tell me that a "layout is uninspiring" - im sorry but thats not the kind that i was looking for. How does that help me make my next map better? Feedback is meant to improve a certain aspect of the map, not to argue about layout choice

-EJon

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast