View Poll Results: Will having only one life make a step learning curve?

Voters
38. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

11 28.95%
  • No

11 28.95%
  • Maybe

16 42.11%

Thread: Learning Curve

Palace Guard

Default Learning Curve

multiplayer looks awsome but i have one concern if there is just one life per match the learning curve would be really high. you would have only one shot so if you were trying to get used to mp then you might die before you could get used to it. if you start when the game comes out it wont be a difference cause everyone will be getting used to it but if you get the game late or started with sp for a while you might loose a ton of games until you got used to it. do you think this one life feuture will cause the game to have a high learning curve?
    Betrayal: War is never black and white, just two shades of gray.
    This is a story of those who get caught between the shades.

FFC Author- Epic, sticky the thread!

Official Forum Pwner: Co-Co-Captain

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ira Celer Dei

It may cause the game to have a steep learning curve and it may not. Personally with a game like GoW I would imagine that it would have a steep learning curve, due to the Stop & Pop nature, rather than Run & Gun ( or even with some games, Spray & Pray ). Though in all honesty I would like it to have a steep learning curve, if only to frighten away the children who ruin so many online games.
    " Humanity has been backed into a corner ... Although some might say we painted ourselves into this spot.
    If we hadn't fought each other so hard for so long, would we have been better prepared to face the Locust Horde? would the nightmares that boiled out of the ground on Emergence Day have faced a strong, united mankind? ... Or would we all have been killed that day if we hadn't been hardened by decades of conflict ? "

- (Journal entry found on COG GEAR / Morgue Ref No.: 086330-KX)

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zoso Fan

I dont think it would really effect the learnign curve much. I expect this game to be easy to learn and hard to master
    www.GEARHEADSOFWAR.com

The way GEARS was meant to be played... with gearheads.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Robbins0096

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso Fan
    I dont think it would really effect the learnign curve much. I expect this game to be easy to learn and hard to master
    hey! thats what i was gonna say!

MSgt. Shooter Person

The learning curve won't be affected much, and anyone who puts in any amount of time to the game will still be able to get a decent hang of it, and sadly, little kids will still play the game

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Uday23

Quote Originally Posted by Zoso Fan
    i second that, go Zoso!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: l Vulgar l

Yeah, definately what Zoso said. If you are new to the game the controls are easy, but with a bunch of practice you can really dominate.

Is it confirmed that every game mode will only have one life?

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: UnrealWars

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Guardian
    Yeah, definately what Zoso said. If you are new to the game the controls are easy, but with a bunch of practice you can really dominate.

As of right now, the only things that are confirmed are the 4 vs 4 game with one kill out settings. They have not told us about the other mp options yet. But they probably have different modes where you can change it.

As for the learning curve, Zoso said it best. They made it easy to learn but there is alot to master with a game like this.
    Gears of War-The Game To End All Games!
    www.gowonline.com/gears
    Join "The Gears" a clan for competition and fun!
    To join go to the forums and post your forum tag and XBL tag

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: MacheteMan7

I don't think it will because that is what match making is for, Also, you will can get used to the controls and stuff in SP.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Uday23

Quote Originally Posted by Chainsaw Guardian

nope, we know very lil about the MP

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TyRaNt kZ

I played the Socom Series so it wouldn't be any different for me.

Iron Guard
    Over the hills and far away. Also known as Norway.
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: x Tyven x

Quote Originally Posted by The Evil Hat
    multiplayer looks awsome but i have one concern if there is just one life per match the learning curve would be really high. you would have only one shot so if you were trying to get used to mp then you might die before you could get used to it. if you start when the game comes out it wont be a difference cause everyone will be getting used to it but if you get the game late or started with sp for a while you might loose a ton of games until you got used to it. do you think this one life feuture will cause the game to have a high learning curve?
    Pherhaps it does. One life makes you appreciate your life more.
    From the underground comes
    The End

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Ira Celer Dei

Quote Originally Posted by seph
    Pherhaps it does. One life makes you appreciate your life more.
    Exactly
    " Humanity has been backed into a corner ... Although some might say we painted ourselves into this spot.
    If we hadn't fought each other so hard for so long, would we have been better prepared to face the Locust Horde? would the nightmares that boiled out of the ground on Emergence Day have faced a strong, united mankind? ... Or would we all have been killed that day if we hadn't been hardened by decades of conflict ? "

- (Journal entry found on COG GEAR / Morgue Ref No.: 086330-KX)

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HydratedPinkus

The learning curve for singleplayer will be like 3 hours, but only because your not given every single feature of the game right away, except covor and a few commands to Dom. Which is good, cus it's hard to keep up with the features of a game when you get them all in the first level.

Multiplayer, though, it shouldn't be hard. The only thing that's really new in this game in multiplayer not in any other, is the cover, and the style of how it's a tactical cover mode, not a run and gun.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HyperTitan

I really don't think it will be that big of deal really. All you have to worry about is how to get behind cover. Granted the run n' gun type players aren't gonna pick up on it as fast, but still I don't think there will be a big learning curve, if there's any at all.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Scoopable

I like games that give you only one life per match... thats why I love Americas Army (besides the fact it's free) Besides thisgame emphsizes on seeking cover and playing smart. Wich is why I think the chainsaw kills will make it sooooooo much better. I mean to actually get a kill using it will make you appreciate it on a higher level
    Scoopable - Evolved Out of Fraud
    -----------------------------------------------
    I said I bet that you look good on the dancefloor
    Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Wizard of Gore

Dude, again don't forget that a teammate can revive you with a STIM SHOT! Don't you ever forget that! Look, like any MP game online: You want to learn the maps and where stuff is? Start a private game by yourself or a good friend on LIVE and check out the maps. Playing single player is your training. Multiplayer talent comes with more time, but that has little to nothing to do with the one life deal. Be good to yourself.... And eachother.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: HyperTitan

I forgot completely about the revival deal. With that in mind there's really no reason to even have more than one death then. This just promotes more than ever what this game was made for TEAMWORK. I can't imagine the type of strategy and teamwork this game is going to promote.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SpartanGear034

I agian state that i strongly doubt from the video i have seen that it will be one life only there will problaly be and option and not onyl that people like to see how many kills they can get not just be like oh wow we won adn look john doe got alll the kills adn everyone else got none and died after 1 min adn had to sit there the whole game spectating. And if you get really good then games willl be mad short.
    "There's room for one more, it's a f*cking party down!"
    -Baird

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Darth Leto II

one life on multiplayer would be no fun because u may have a stim shot but you also can get curbstomped whish automaticaly kills you.
    "We will always arise from our own ashes"

Emergence Day 2006

"I have defied gods and demons."
    "I am your shield, I am your SWORD."
    "I know you, your past, your future."
    "This is the way the world ends."

The motto is 'It's good to play together' not 'It's good to play together as long as it's unranked'."

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Scoopable

Quote Originally Posted by Darth Leto
    one life on multiplayer would be no fun because u may have a stim shot but you also can get curbstomped whish automaticaly kills you.
    I am thinking though, that if you goto a curbstomp a guy, you'll have to run out in the open to do so or atleast expose yourself, wich could leave you to be shot. From reading the post here... I'm going to LOVE Gears Multiplayer.
    Scoopable - Evolved Out of Fraud
    I said I bet that you look good on the dancefloor
    Dancing to electro-pop like a robot from 1984

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Robbins0096

Quote Originally Posted by Scoopable
    I am thinking though, that if you goto a curbstomp a guy, you'll have to run out in the open to do so or atleast expose yourself, wich could leave you to be shot. From reading the post here... I'm going to LOVE Gears Multiplayer.
    who wont?!?! i know i'll be playing online MP for hours everyday!! i'll probably see most of you on this forum playing too. the MP is gonna be nuckin-futs!!

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SlipKnot Saint

i actualy like the 1 life only thing couse its not like when you kill someone its no big deal couse the just respawn when you kill someone in mp you will probably be happy with your self!!!

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Dreadnought 360

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by Reconciliation
    It may cause the game to have a steep learning curve and it may not. Personally with a game like GoW I would imagine that it would have a steep learning curve, due to the Stop & Pop nature, rather than Run & Gun ( or even with some games, Spray & Pray ). Though in all honesty I would like it to have a steep learning curve, if only to frighten away the children who ruin so many online games.
    Reconciliation nailed it for me. It will have some what of a curve anyway for most people, but if this one life per match thing is a little challenging, then only the dedicated and hardcore players (people who play to have a good time and not ruin it for others) will play this game online before long. All the "non-hardcore" players (quitters, whiners, etc.) will either stay at the bottom of the food chain, or just quit online altogether.

On second thought, it may just bring out the cheaters but that can't be helped.
    Jesus is my Homeboy. Oh, yeah... Cliffy, too.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Flash1087

If I wanted cheaters I'd go back to Halo 2.

I think if GoW has a tight enough community we could get around the inevitable cheaters. KEEP GOW CHEAT FREE!
    Gears of War is for clintmen. Are YOU clint enough?
    http://www.churchofclint.com
    Quote Originally Posted by Cover is a friend
    It just blows things up. WAY UP!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: n2cranes

i really like challanging games when you get good then you feel that you really achieved something.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SlipKnot Saint

Quote Originally Posted by n2cranes
    i really like challanging games when you get good then you feel that you really achieved something.
    ecsactly!!! someone here gets what im saying yay!!!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Koric101

I think stop-n-pop actually helps new users. I agree with zoso.
    Gears of War + Xbox 360 + HD Monitor =
    One shot... One kill... Unless I have a chainsaw!
    GT: Koric101