Hybrid View

Map - Deathmatch (PC/PS3) DM-Tomac (Antalus Remake) [PC/PS3] [Pics] [D/L]

Name: DM-Tomac

Version: 1.0

Compatibility: UT3 1.3

Description: After years of wear and tear, the Antalus venue is no longer suitable for a tournament event. A tireless search begun and on the distant planet of Kaimogen, a new arena was constructed to resemble the Valley of the Hunters. After a few years, the war began and the planet was invaded by the Necris. They converted the arena into a training area to help their soldiers in the war efforts. In time it proved to be a futile effort as the Necris lost the war. The tournament has resumed its events and even though the Necris no longer inhabit Kaimogen, their presence will be felt for some time.

Comments: This is an inspired remake of DM-Antalus from UT2003/4. I wanted to encourage the fighting to be more face-to-face, but still allow for long distance fighting. While the map bears a strong resemblance to the original, I have made some changes. The major changes include a few more routes, fewer wide open areas, and a different theme.

CreditsThanks: Myself (builder), Epic (Original author of map, majority of assets used), MasterB (Feedback and private testing), The Demon Slick (Feedback and private testing), DGUnreal (Allowing me to use assorted custom assets he made, forum help), Musilowski (Setting up the rock material), Thrallala (converting original song to wav format), Hourences/Zynthetic (tutorials) & everyone who posted feedback in the Alpha/Beta threads.

Homepage: Odedge.com

Download: PC Version 22.3 MB PS3 Version 16.2 MB

Reviews: UT Unlimited

Screenshot:

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

Iron Guard

Looking good, I'll try it.
    I want to play Unreal for a living.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nice clean work on the terrain. I get a good feeling when I look at the screens.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Offline only :(

Looks great GJ Look foward to your next map.
    Proud PC & Xbox 360 gamer.
    Rig:
    /CPU:Q6600 @ 2.4gHz
    /RAM:4GB Corsair DDR2
    /HDD:Sata 400GB
    /GPU:HD ATI Radeon 4850

Maps
    DM-Aftermath FINAL V2/A now ruined city that has been destroyed by the necris. (PC & PS3) See review here (81/100).

Boomshot

very pleasant map to play and nice visuals....
    thx for ur work and waiting ur next one too
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Centurion

Is looking very good will try it.
    ROOTS REGGAE
    REGGAEMIX

Update: I just added the PS3 link.

Thanks for taking the time to check it out. I am interested in any constructive feedback.

MSgt. Shooter Person

looks bloody awesome

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Masterblaster73

Odedge,
    I have been playing Tomac with Battle Freeze Team Arena. Bots 3X3. When the match restarts, me and my 2 team bots always re-spawn at the same spot. I don't mean together. I mean I spawn and they both spawn in front of me in their same spawn spots.
    Not sure is this is a Tomac or a BFTA issue.
    System
    Commodore VIC 20 (5 KB)
    Cassette tape
    5 ╝ö LD Floppy Drive
    13ö Color TV out (CRT)

Quote Originally Posted by emscape2 View Post
    looks bloody awesome
    That a good thing, right?

Quote Originally Posted by MasterB View Post
    Odedge,
    I have been playing Tomac with Battle Freeze Team Arena. Bots 3X3. When the match restarts, me and my 2 team bots always re-spawn at the same spot. I don't mean together. I mean I spawn and they both spawn in front of me in their same spawn spots.
    Not sure is this is a Tomac or a BFTA issue.
    I am going to presume it's a BFTA issue or feature? Unless the mod/mutator requires team starts (like in a CTF map). Maybe I should make a CTF version just for fun?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I get a runtime error after loading with a message saying abnormal program termination :/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cool map, was pretty large, well structured
    Nice music too
    http://xplosivgt.net -- Home of my modding ventures
    xPloSiV_gT. | SniperScope Co-Leader
    DM-NightVice | CTF-NanoCore In Progress

Quote Originally Posted by myself
    Pretty much the best custom map I've yet come to play.

Gameplay is flawless. graphics outstanding, re-designed very well.

Only negative thing I can point out is the frequent interruption of music track.
    ^^
    love it.

Quote Originally Posted by =assassin= View Post
    I get a runtime error after loading with a message saying abnormal program termination :/
    Are you using the latest patch for the game(v1.3)?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-FROG View Post
    ^^
    love it.
    Did you quote somebody in a different thread?

Prisoner 849

PC Version: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?action=file&id=1431
    PS3 Version: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?action=file&id=1432

Any objections if i were to add these maps to a future mappack?
    MPF Games : Founder
    zunnie.nl : My personal website

Intel Core2Duo 3GHz
    4GB DDR2 RAM
    nVidia GeForce 9800GT 1GB

Quote Originally Posted by xPloSiV View Post
    Cool map, was pretty large, well structured
    Nice music too
    Thanks, the music is actually a mix of the original and some of the stock music.

Quote Originally Posted by zunnie View Post
    PC Version: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?action=file&id=1431
    PS3 Version: http://ut3.game-maps.net/index.php?action=file&id=1432

Any objections if i were to add these maps to a future mappack?
    Not at all, as long as you include the ReadMe file. Thanks for the mirrors, I will add them to my DM-Tomac page today.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheDemonSlick

Quote Originally Posted by Schotti|UTzone View Post

That site is terrible, full of spam and those weird popups that dont get blocked. I can't even read it for all the ads. TERRIBLE link.
    Server Admins and PS3 hosts... Your machines are crying out for JUSTICE!!! http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=683493
    The Demon Slick went BOOM!
    http://www.freewebs.com/boomshouse/
    The Skaarj Return! Thanks to EE. http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=680443

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by The Demon Slick View Post
    That site is terrible, full of spam and those weird popups that dont get blocked. I can't even read it for all the ads. TERRIBLE link.
    I agree. That one ad is designed to block your vision of what's behind it. When you scroll up and down, it follows you making reading the page impossible.
    What's worse, the language is in German (or something) and it's not obvious how to get rid of this pop up.
    If this site wants to be hit more than once by a user, they need to get rid of that stuff.
    System
    Commodore VIC 20 (5 KB)
    Cassette tape
    5 ╝ö LD Floppy Drive
    13ö Color TV out (CRT)

MSgt. Shooter Person

no Layer-advertising for registered users or use Adblock.

If this site wants to be hit more than once by a user

Clicks per visitor: 8.35 since 2000
    UTzone.de
    no whining, no farting, no flames, no complaining about too many rules

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Donzi View Post
    no Layer-advertising for registered users or use Adblock.

Clicks per visitor: 8.35 since 2000
    I shouldn't have to register on a site to eliminate this type of page blocking. Nor would I register to such a site.
    In terms of ad blocking, I use both Spy Sweeper and ZoneAlarm Security Suite. If that's not enough, all the more reason not to register.
    System
    Commodore VIC 20 (5 KB)
    Cassette tape
    5 ╝ö LD Floppy Drive
    13ö Color TV out (CRT)

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheDemonSlick

Spammy Sites suckzes. This map is great though!
    Server Admins and PS3 hosts... Your machines are crying out for JUSTICE!!! http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=683493
    The Demon Slick went BOOM!
    http://www.freewebs.com/boomshouse/
    The Skaarj Return! Thanks to EE. http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=680443

I appreciate the bumping of the thread, but I would like to get back on the point of the thread. To discuss your likes and dislikes of the map.

Here are two reviews that were done in the past week.

Unreal Station

UT Unlimited

I will update the first post with the same info.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSNID: Herbyg

Great map, it works great on the PS3.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Just had a quick play of the PS3 version, looks and plays great, although... if I was being picky... the complete lack of grass does make the ground look a little basic compared to your PC map pics. Thanks for cooking for PS3.

Quote Originally Posted by Crynyd View Post
    Just had a quick play of the PS3 version, looks and plays great, although... if I was being picky... the complete lack of grass does make the ground look a little basic compared to your PC map pics. Thanks for cooking for PS3.
    I removed the grass for both the PC and lower settings on the PC version. I did this as the shader used for the grass is on the complex side.

I sided with caution and would rather have the PS3 version (and lower PC versions) play smoother vs looking good and playing choppy. Game play/experience is more important than eye candy!?!?!!?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Odedge View Post
    I removed the grass for both the PC and lower settings on the PC version. I did this as the shader used for the grass is on the complex side.

I sided with caution and would rather have the PS3 version (and lower PC versions) play smoother vs looking good and playing choppy. Game play/experience is more important than eye candy!?!?!!?
    OK! that's cool, thought that might be the reason

Just in case anyone is still subscribed to this thread. I created a winter version of DM-Tomac. You can find more info here.

Thanks for your interest in the original.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: KurlonT

Thoughts on the PS3 version:

Performance (frames) and map flow are really good and there wasn't a point where something didn't fit w/ the map theme. My only issue was what the review from UT Limited already pointed out.

"The rocks are pretty repetitive though. Couple this with very even lighting across the whole map means it does look samey. Coloured lights or coloured ambient lighting would help. Use a skydome with a big sunset and create some big shadows."

I think it just needed more contrasting elements w/in the map to break up the rock textures. Antalus worked aesthetically because it used white\light tan (structures and boulders) and greens (foliage and trees) to offset all the browns used in the rocks.

Still great job and look forward to your next map.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by KurlonT View Post

"The rocks are pretty repetitive though. Couple this with very even lighting across the whole map means it does look samey. Coloured lights or coloured ambient lighting would help. Use a skydome with a big sunset and create some big shadows."

I think it just needed more contrasting elements w/in the map to break up the rock textures. Antalus worked aesthetically because it used white\light tan (structures and boulders) and greens (foliage and trees) to offset all the browns used in the rocks.
    i hav to agree on the repetitive visual feeling but.... the winter edition was a excellent way to put some visuals variations....nice job odedge
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

[quote=KurlonT;25863401I think it just needed more contrasting elements w/in the map to break up the rock textures. Antalus worked aesthetically because it used white\light tan (structures and boulders) and greens (foliage and trees) to offset all the browns used in the rocks.

Still great job and look forward to your next map.[/quote]

Thanks. I do admit the rocks do get repetitive, but I wanted to keep the map simple and very "nature" based. I wanted the lighting to be based on a "sunny" day, so it's hard to get some contrast with the lighting.

If it was done at sunset or maybe with a different sun color, I could have acheived more shadows and contrast.

Quote Originally Posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
    i hav to agree on the repetitive visual feeling but.... the winter edition was a excellent way to put some visuals variations....nice job odedge
    I always planned to do a winter/night version. Having the bluish light mixed with the yellow and red/orange lights gives it some better contrast. This just can't be done with a bright yellow based sun lighting.

Thanks for the feedback.