MSgt. Shooter Person

Default What's happening?

Well it's been a month now and there has been no news whatsoever about the phase 2 judging, do you have any idea when you'll be announcing the winners?

Based on Phase 1, I wouldn't expect results until January.

Administrator

Angel Mapper is right; we're still going through all the Phase 2 submissions, and it's already mid-November.

Our guys have been troopers through the whirlwind Gears 2 launch, plus we're working on the expansion for the UT series. The holidays are also right around the corner, and everyone here is hoping to catch up on quality time with their families.

We expect to give everyone an update on Phase 2 in January. Hope you understand.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by crowl View Post
    Angel Mapper is right; we're still going through all the Phase 2 submissions, and it's already mid-November.

Our guys have been troopers through the whirlwind Gears 2 launch, plus we're working on the expansion for the UT series. The holidays are also right around the corner, and everyone here is hoping to catch up on quality time with their families.

We expect to give everyone an update on Phase 2 in January. Hope you understand.
    Well **** then, I understand things must be hectic ATM, at least now i have an idea when to expect news. Thanks for the quick response crowl.

MSgt. Shooter Person

we won't even hear who the finalists are until january?

Boomshot

That's what they said. You do realize there were a **** load of submissions for Phase 2 right, they go through, EVERY single one.

MSgt. Shooter Person

i don't know how extensively they play the maps before announcing the finalists, i just thought they just had someone check to make sure that the entry works and doesn't completely suck. i knew the actually judging phase would take longer but i thought the finalists were decided quickly.

Based on the last contest (and phase 1 of this one), there are generally only 10 finalists per category, so it's a bit more than just "loads and doesn't completely suck".

Administrator

Yes, our guys play through the maps quite a bit before deciding on finalists, and the more submissions we have, the tougher it is to narrow down the list.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think they check that before they upload them, finalists have gotta be more specific. Is there a hard cap on finalists though? 10? 20? Even that would be a cool thing to tag onto a map.

Administrator

There is no hard cap on finalists, although the number is usually around 10.

Quote Originally Posted by Distant Land View Post
    Even that would be a cool thing to tag onto a map.
    Dooo eeeeeeet.
    http://www.angelmapper.com/gamedev/u...phaseshift.htm

Hmm, I should probably update my site now to say that those were for the last contest. Heheh.

MSgt. Shooter Person

just out of curiosity, do the judges play the maps together online/lan or is it an individual offline experience?

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by spacedemonebu View Post
    just out of curiosity, do the judges play the maps together online/lan or is it an individual offline experience?
    This I'd like to know also.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheDemonSlick

judges play lan, bot pathing = meh
    judges play alone, bot pathing = ALL
    Server Admins and PS3 hosts... Your machines are crying out for JUSTICE!!! http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=683493
    The Demon Slick went BOOM!
    http://www.freewebs.com/boomshouse/
    The Skaarj Return! Thanks to EE. http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=680443

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Madcatz75

I can't take this anymore! I need to know the winners!

It'll most likely be this next week, taking how long it took for the last phase and adjusting for Christmas vacation.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Angel_Mapper View Post
    It'll most likely be this next week, taking how long it took for the last phase and adjusting for Christmas vacation.
    Thank god I'm about to go insane...

MSgt. Shooter Person

The last one waited for CES though....only upcoming game industry event i can think of is GDC, and that's not til the week of March 23rd.
    Producer - Unreal Demolition

MSgt. Shooter Person

I didn't even enter it, and im quite anxious to see who won!
    Chop chop with the results and stop sitting on the winnings to earn interest on it.. Only joking!! Hmm, or am I?

Pop!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Can't wait either
    www.evilmrfrank.com
    -----------------------

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by evilmrfrank View Post
    Can't wait either
    I'm checking these forums every waking hour waiting for the results.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by wael View Post
    I'm checking these forums every waking hour waiting for the results.
    lol same here

MSgt. Shooter Person

*start logging into UT3 forums*

*Start thinking: *
    Okay, here we go, time to check to see if they posted results although there's no way they'd be up by now cos there were so many more than last phase, in fact I shouldn't even get my hopes up, like what chance could I possibly have? there's so many submissions and so many good ones, ah, but I was listed as a finalist, so basically the odds are 50/50 if you go by pure chance, but there's no way I could beat 5 other finalists all their submissions are so much more thoroughly tested and bug free than mine, although I guess my map is doing pretty well online and getting tons of plays, and people are commenting positively on its visuals and unique gameplay, but aw dang, the version I submitted had soooo many glaring bugs! dang, if only I wasn't so rushed at the deadline, ack, no sense dwelling on the past if I don't make top 5 I can just resubmit again in phase 3, oh, but everyone else will too, I'll have even less of a chance, well I shouldn't write off my chances just yet, the map seems to be widely popular online, oh, but the judges don't care about online popularity, maybe my map is actually incredibly n00bish in terms of gameplay and everyone knows it but me, ah, but it keeps getting voted for online, so I must have done _something_ right but how much? and will it be enough for the judges? and what about all those bugs? those aren't in the online version, my map would probably never get voted for if it was the buggy MSU version, though I guess the bugs were all just visual artefacts and mistakes, oh except for that collision bug where you can escape the map, oh, but it's very obscure, I wonder if they'll find it or if they'll even care, oh shoot, they said they'd mark on "polish" but what exactly do they mean by polish? they're developers so I'm sure they understand that when you first release something bugs are to be expected, or maybe by polish they mean attention to visual detail and structure in which case I think I'm fine, but if they mean like absolutely bug-free then I'm totally screwed... AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAahhhhhhhhhhh!!!! *rip out clump of hair*

Oh. here we go. the MSU thread...

Ah, results aren't up yet...

Ok.

*repeat every day for the past month*

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think you've lost your mind O.o
    www.evilmrfrank.com
    -----------------------

MSgt. Shooter Person

Then I've lost my mind aswell Think most finalists have alot of both hope and doubts streaming through their heads until the final results are posted.
    /Claes "Nurb" Engdal

Portfolio: www.claeng.com

Maps:
    DM-Haze - MSUC phase 3 - Honorable mentions for best graphics and best DM/CTF
    DM-Worm - MSUC phase 2 - 2:nd place best graphics, 4:th place best DM/CTF
    DM-Cath - MSUC phase 1 - finalist best DM

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Nurb View Post
    Then I've lost my mind aswell Think most finalists have alot of both hope and doubts streaming through their heads until the final results are posted.
    Well I'd be a lot more at ease if the judges at least kept us up to date on what's happening.