Angry How to save as a .ini file?

My game was crashing at launch, so I edited the file in NotePad, but it won't let me save it...

Iron Guard

What do you mean it won't let you save it? For that matter, what file are you trying to edit and save?

Is Notepad saving your .ini file with a name like UTGame.ini.txt or UTEngine.ini.txt? If so, in the Save As window, change 'Save As Type' from ".txt" to "All Files". Then be sure you have the extension, ".ini", included in the filename...and no ".txt" at the end.

If your problem is something other than this, then we need the specifics on exactly what happens when you try to save the file.
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI | CPU HSF: Zalman 9700LED | RAM: 4x2GB G-Skill Pi Black PC6400 | GPU: 2xEVGA 8800GTX ACS│ KO - SLI | Sound: onboard | PSU: BFG 1000W | Case: XClio Windtunnel | Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW | Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech G15/G7 | Win7 Home Premium

As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.

Quote Originally Posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
    What do you mean it won't let you save it? For that matter, what file are you trying to edit and save?

Is Notepad saving your .ini file with a name like UTGame.ini.txt or UTEngine.ini.txt? If so, in the Save As window, change 'Save As Type' from ".txt" to "All Files". Then be sure you have the extension, ".ini", included in the filename...and no ".txt" at the end.

If your problem is something other than this, then we need the specifics on exactly what happens when you try to save the file.
    Nevermind, I got it by downloading EditPad. But I couldn't find the ut3engine.ini file, so I edited the BaseEngine.ini file... not sure if they are the same? I did a search and Windows didn't come up with anything.

Iron Guard

BaseEngine.ini is in the Engine\Config folder. It looks like UTEngine.ini, but I don't think you should be editing BaseEngine. UTEngine.ini is in the UTGame\Config folder, and is the file that you should be editing.
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 @ 3.0GHz | Motherboard: EVGA nForce 680i SLI | CPU HSF: Zalman 9700LED | RAM: 4x2GB G-Skill Pi Black PC6400 | GPU: 2xEVGA 8800GTX ACS│ KO - SLI | Sound: onboard | PSU: BFG 1000W | Case: XClio Windtunnel | Monitor: 22" Samsung SyncMaster 226BW | Keyboard/Mouse: Logitech G15/G7 | Win7 Home Premium

As gamers, playing games is our second-most favorite hobby. Our most favorite is, of course, complaining about games.

Palace Guard

Make sure you make backups of the files you edit. Just right click and copy and paste. It will automatically add "Copy of" before the file name.

Quote Originally Posted by {DvT}JonahHex View Post
    BaseEngine.ini is in the Engine\Config folder. It looks like UTEngine.ini, but I don't think you should be editing BaseEngine. UTEngine.ini is in the UTGame\Config folder, and is the file that you should be editing.
    Don't have it. All the files in the UTGame/config start with the word ''Default''

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by LightStalker View Post
    Don't have it. All the files in the UTGame/config start with the word ''Default''
    You're looking in the wrong folder/directory. Don't touch/edit any of those files.

The .ini files you want are in your 'My Documents' folder. They should be in:

C:\Documents and Settings\<whatever your username is>\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Config

MSgt. Shooter Person

Don't look so mad.. don't worry be happy.

Well, just edited the utengine.ini file and it didn't solve the problem. Still getting a crash at start-up.