Skaarj

Exclamation I won't get passed the "Downloading profile" screen on LIVE

Graphics card: ATI Radeon HD 3800 series
    System Manufacturer: Gigabyte technology

I've just installed Gears of War (English version), and I'm trying to log into LIVE with my LIVE ID (<name>@hotmail.com). But when I do this, I get the screen that says "Downloading profile. This might take a few minutes. Please don't close the game".

http://img382.imageshack.us/img382/5...adingprre3.jpg

And this never stops. I never get passed this screen. And here's what I've tried to do to get it to work:

1. Opened ports ONLY on my router (because Zonealarm Basic Firewall can't open ports), turned off Zonealarm Basic Firewall, AVG anti-virus and Xfire (some says it's Xfire that prevents them).

2. Re-installed Gears of War, and applied the newest patch from http://gearsofwar.com/GearsPC/?

3. Re-installed and installed the newest version of LIVE.

4. Made another Xbox LIVE account and LIVE ID.

5. Looked through Microsoft's Gears of War knowledge-base, and I've tried to contact them by phone (but they just tell me to look through their knowledge base).

6. Let Gears of War run all night and try to connect to LIVE, without success.

I've not modified any files in the Gears of War folder, and I'm using the original DVD to play. LIVE should work, but on my computer it just won't. Please help me!

EDIT: Problem solved! Thank you for helping me! (The secret answer is: Open TCP port 443 on your router. It's for the LIVE services to communicate)
    Last edited by Killingspree; 10-17-2008 at 08:50 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: BioResistor

I have almost the same problem. I get that screen and then get an error screen that says to try Windows Live (or is it Xbox Live, depends where u are on the site, lol) again later. 3 months after buying this game and I have never been able to join a multiplayer match. My 1 month free Gold Membership has long since come and gone, now I supposedly have a Silver membership. My Windows Live ID and pw works and my local profile logs in and saves my Single player progress. Amazingly I don't have any of the problems running the game that others do.....it starts up every time and i max the graphics at 1152x864@85hz, and hover around the 62 fps cap. Really, great game Epic, thanks for letting us PC guys experience GOW. I run WinXP, on my admin account, and I sure wish someone could tell me the secret to playing GOW online.

The Art of Warfare is recruiting for UT3 and many other games.... www.taw.net

Intel C2D E7300 2.66@ 3.2 ghz | Asus P5N-D SLI mobo | (2 x) EVGA 8800 GT 512mb Superclocked | Creative XtremeGamer X-Fi | 2 GB Mushkin DDR2 | Zalman heatsink | Razer Copperhead 2000dpi | Razer Lycosa keyboard | 22" Westinghouse 2 ms LCD | 570 W Skyhawk PSU | WinXP SP3

It could easily be an issue with your router or firewall settings. I would say if you are using zonealarm firewall you should probably uninstall it completely because it's a pos, and then open the ports on your router and see if you have a similar problem, I would bet they will go away.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Thanks for the reply brokenarrow. I actually use System Mechanic myself along w/ other antispyware apps. I don't use zonealarm or a router. I'll try to set a custom program policy in the Iolo firewall for GOW and post my results.

Intel C2D E7300 2.66@ 3.2 ghz | Asus P5N-D SLI mobo | (2 x) EVGA 8800 GT 512mb Superclocked | Creative XtremeGamer X-Fi | 2 GB Mushkin DDR2 | Zalman heatsink | Razer Copperhead 2000dpi | Razer Lycosa keyboard | 22" Westinghouse 2 ms LCD | 570 W Skyhawk PSU | WinXP SP3

Skaarj

I'll try that, but if that doesn't work...

Skaarj

No, it still doesn't work. Maybe Microsoft could make something that works the next time. I hate them. Epic Games are good, but I never see any moderators or anyone give a reply. Not that I can remember. But I'll just send my game to Microsoft and hopefully get a new one, or my money back. Because this is just ridiculous! It's an outrage!

Quote Originally Posted by Killingspree View Post
    No, it still doesn't work. Maybe Microsoft could make something that works the next time. I hate them. Epic Games are good, but I never see any moderators or anyone give a reply. Not that I can remember. But I'll just send my game to Microsoft and hopefully get a new one, or my money back. Because this is just ridiculous! It's an outrage!
    Before you spend too much time on that, can you tell me which ports you opened on your router?

Skaarj

All that were necessary. Port 80 (UDP), 3074 (TPC) and 3074 (UDP). I've also uninstalled Zonealarm, but that didn't make any difference.

Ahhh, that is your problem I believe, try opening TCP port 443, that is the port that is used for LIVE Sign-in.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

No luck so far, even with custom rules in the firewall for Gears and Live executables.
    Also i have this issue when the Live sign in process calls up the IE7 window after I sign in it says Cookies Not Enabled no matter what I do. I'll try your tips on opening up those ports, thx guys.

Also you'll need to ensure that you DO have cookies enabled in your browser, GuitarSlim.

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Ahhh, that is your problem I believe, try opening TCP port 443, that is the port that is used for LIVE Sign-in.
    Thank you so much! It is finally working! I can't believe Microsoft doesn't say ANYTHING about this, but I sure will inform them! Thanks again

Well, it's just a matter of understanding how their login scheme works. They've got so much stuff operating in so many different ways, and they understand how it works internally so not all documentation is redundantly placed everywhere it might help.