View Poll Results: What kind of maps you think is missing & should be a lot more of them

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • Low gravity space map ?

29 26.36%
  • Asian map ?

8 7.27%
  • Original / different ideas instead of the common industrial theme ?

80 72.73%
  • Other common industrial theme ?

11 10.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast
    God King

Arrow Stevie's corner (my top picks of maps, mods, mutators, sites, etc) as moved

Since November 16th 2009, my new home is located here.

I have now my own home. I've meet some great peoples here on Epic forums & I'll be very happy to hear from you at my new place. Feel free to post there, your very welcomed

I'm not leaving this forum, I'm just "moving" & I'll continue to check & provide feedback as I always done in various threads. Everything I had here is now at my new place.

This thread is now officially dead.

See ya soon folks

Iron Guard

Great list, I do miss some of my favorite maps though: DM-CBP3-Salvation (author: KaMi), CTF-CBP3-Touch (author: Spoondog) and perhaps DM-CBP3-HongKong (author: Tynan Sylvester). It's your list though, just figured you might have forgot to add those .

Btw, I'm quite proud seeing my own map in your list. I hope my next one will please you aswell, hehe :P

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Thrallala View Post
    Great list, I do miss some of my favorite maps though: DM-CBP3-Salvation (author: KaMi), CTF-CBP3-Touch (author: Spoondog) and perhaps DM-CBP3-HongKong (author: Tynan Sylvester). It's your list though, just figured you might have forgot to add those .

Btw, I'm quite proud seeing my own map in your list. I hope my next one will please you aswell, hehe :P
    THX to you for making my UT3 collection growing You put a lot of work on it and this is why it end up in my list. I'm very happy that you ask me to test and push the CE version much further. It paid of. If you put the same amount of polishing in every map you make, you can be 100% sure that it will be in my list

I did play DM-CBP3-Salvation, CTF-CBP3-Touch and DM-CBP3-HongKong. No offense to the authors, I have a lot of there previous maps. I did not kept them and a lot of others to because they could been much more polished, specially for these guy's that made maps since years now. But hey, that what append when you have limited time to work on a project. DM Marauder "Second Edition" by Plutonic is the kind of example that IMHO every mappers should follow when the final result is not 100% accomplished. Some of the mappers said that there respective map was not 100% completed but had to let it go been stuck by the deadline.

I like this kind of thread because nobody can argue on what is or is not good since the idea is based only on my personnal taste. Nobody can't argue on taste ! THX for your comments

Regarding DM Marauder "Second Edition" preview screen

The preview screen is there but not visible in game. He only forgot to change the INI parameters when he release the SE version. To add the preview screen, simply edit "DM-Marauder-SE.ini" and make sure that you're "PreviewImageMarkup" is as follow : DM-Marauder-SE.MapPic.map-pic-marauder instead of DM-Marauder.MapPic.map-pic-marauder. Only the "-SE" is missing in the line.

Skaarj

Default Oh... Wow...

Wow... That's a mighty... Big... List you've got there pal... Lol... But excellent work... Like you said, this makes for an excellent starting point for new members... Keep up the good work modding community... Makes every cent of that collectors edition well worth it...
    And so it begins...

Redeemer

I think its really sad that there are only 3 comunity CTF maps on that list 2 of which are mine, and I think I have an even more strict standard then you steve.. I love CTF.. and the community has so far contrubuted nothing to meet epics quality.. I am very much looking forward to KaMi's remake which I loved back in Ut1, I guess I will download this CTF-AtheaCE if you think its good.. I did look at the screens ages ago and was unsure about it, it looks great but im worryed the theme wont fit into UT3. guess ill take a look.
    I challange the community to make a map that I would keep thats what i say.. if I had somthing to give I would hold a competition.. thats how bad I want more CTF maps...
    Its no fun playing my own maps
    Last edited by bazzwano; 08-14-2008 at 08:23 PM.
    Keep up the good work Epic!! You guys are the Best!
    My Build: CPU: C2D-E6850, GPU:2xOC-8800ultras, MB: Asus Striker Extreme, 2x 150gb WD Raptor 2GB 8500C5 Ram
    Thank to the Judges and EPIC for the MSUC
    Please EPIC: Patch 2.1, Fix the UI settings not saving
    CTF-Safeguard3 - CTF-Dreary3 - CTF-Stratus V1.2

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by bazzwano View Post
    I think its really sad that there are only 3 comunity CTF maps on that list 2 of which are mine, and I think I have an even more strict standard then you steve.. I love CTF.. and the community has so far contrubuted nothing to meet epics quality.. I am very much looking forward to KaMi's remake which I loved back in Ut1, I guess I will download this CTF-AtheaCE if you think its good.. I did look at the screens ages ago and was unsure about it, it looks great but im worryed the theme wont fit into UT3. guess ill take a look.
    I challange the community to make a map that I would keep thats what i say.. if I had somthing to give I would hold a competition.. thats how bad I want more CTF maps...
    Its no fun playing my own maps
    I hope you'll like my map , I'll have to warn you though... it is abit laggy (especially in the outdoor area) but otherwise I think it's pretty good, atleast for being the first map I've ever made for a game. Hehe

I wouldn't worry too much about not getting enough good CTF maps though, there's lots of them coming from CBP in the future (Desolation, Arean23, Vengeance and Morgoth). I'm not gonna make another CTF map for quite a while though, I plan on making one of each gametype (including Domination) before I go back to CTF, although I can safely say that the next CTF map I'm gonna make will be Warsong Gulch from World of Warcraft. For this, I will have to be quite experienced with 3d modelling (hopefully not a problem since I'm gonna start studying 3d on monday for 2 years).

Looking forward for more maps from you Bazzwano, the ones you've released are very good, Epic quality if you ask me.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Thrallala View Post
    I'll have to warn you though... it is abit laggy (especially in the outdoor area)
    Looking forward for more maps from you Bazzwano, the ones you've released are very good, Epic quality if you ask me.
    If i get it, ill see if I can tell you why its laggy.

More maps from me? maybe.. one day..

and yes im very much looking foward to CTF-Arena loved that map.. it could save UT for me
    Keep up the good work Epic!! You guys are the Best!
    My Build: CPU: C2D-E6850, GPU:2xOC-8800ultras, MB: Asus Striker Extreme, 2x 150gb WD Raptor 2GB 8500C5 Ram
    Thank to the Judges and EPIC for the MSUC
    Please EPIC: Patch 2.1, Fix the UI settings not saving
    CTF-Safeguard3 - CTF-Dreary3 - CTF-Stratus V1.2

God King

Hey Bazz

Quote Originally Posted by bazzwano View Post
    I think its really sad that there are only 3 comunity CTF maps on that list 2 of which are mine, and I think I have an even more strict standard then you Steve...
    Yeah, I know you're picky, so am I. Frankly, all the map in this list are not 100% perfect, even yours All of the maps in the list could be more polished but there is a point where enough is extremely satisfying and that the extra polishing don't worth the trouble since maybe fiew persons on the planet would maybe notice it. Don't ask me to elaborate since it's not the idea of my thread. Still, since you like CTF so much, check "CTF-Windswept by Setheran" in the beta forum. He will surely appreciate your POV

I guess I will download this CTF-AtheaCE if you think its good.. I did look at the screens ages ago and was unsure about it, it looks great but im worryed the theme wont fit into UT3. guess ill take a look.
    Please, don't make me the judge of what is good or bad for you or any other in any case. I strongly recommand that you play ALL of them and make you're own statement. Maybe you won't like any of them, you'll see by yourself

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PC: Guasacaca

well, you clearly forgot to include ANY of the HOLP maps, and they have state of the art CTF and DM maps, so....

UPDATE IT!

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Ignotium View Post
    well, you clearly forgot to include ANY of the HOLP maps, and they have state of the art CTF and DM maps, so....

UPDATE IT!
    You did not read the main post at all because this is exactly what I do not want like comments. Since you did not read my first detailed post, I'll repeat myself ; don't ask me to add maps ! I did play them and if I want to play this kind of map, I'll play with UT99, wich I still do. Brief :

HOLP = low poly. I know they are excellent on flow & gameplay.

My first criteria = Superb graphics = UT3 level graphics and not 9 years old visuals.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Kantham

I think you could get a blog.

Iron Guard

Hey Steve
    Great thread, gotta check out all those maps i didn't have.
    Btw. Good to be on your list
    cheers

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well, as I can see there is not a single Warfare map in your list. Do you just not play WAR, or is there no map meeting your standards?
    UT3-Ingame-Nick: [»A«]ZenMaster.jW

Visit us @ irc.quakenet.org #armageddon.ut, #mpukut3.warfare

Quote Originally Posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    "Warfare is onslaught on crack"
    Word!

Redeemer

nice thread, good to see something like this put together to help us wade through the ever increasing amount of content.
    thanks man, keep it up!
    Worse than you thought, but better than you think.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Cobi^^ View Post
    Well, as I can see there is not a single Warfare map in your list. Do you just not play WAR, or is there no map meeting your standards?
    Indeed, there isn't. That is sad because in UT2004, my most loved game type is ONS. Not that I don't like WAR type but when you had play 3 years on ONS and it is you're most loved game type and it isn't there in the "improved" game, it is EXTREMELY deceiving. I never been a big fan of Assault neither. Not that I did not like it but it was not in my playing priority.

I still play with UT99/2004. I still think that Epic shouldn't force the player to play WAR because isn't a better game type than ONS, it's a new game type. So they should allowed the player to choose from Assault, ONS or WAR and not just scrap everything to permit only 1 game type. Shame Now, with the new WAR game type, combining ONS+Assault it's a big mess for me. So in all, WAR is not for me and that is why there isn't any WAR maps in my list. Maybe one day...

WAR maps

I saw some good WAR maps. No offence but nothing on par with Epic quality. To help you out here, search the WAR maps made by 'BigDog'. He remade some of the best UT2004 ONS maps but name the map with a different name (still ask myself why ?).

Good hunt

Quote Originally Posted by rek View Post
    nice thread, good to see something like this put together to help us wade through the ever increasing amount of content.
    thanks man, keep it up!
    Glad you like it and that help you Have fun

Banned

Thanks for including my conveyor in this list.

God King

Quote Originally Posted by Bret Hart View Post
    Thanks for including my conveyor in this list.
    My pleasure. I love it You have work hard on it. I hope that your next projects will be as good as this one if not even better since you're talented and gain experience

God King

DM-Grinder by Bret Hart as been renamed DM-Grinder-RE (Revised Edition).

The map name as changed since his version is different from the original and in a way isn't a 100% true remake. It is a nice variation inspired by the original 99. Another DM-Grinder made by d3tox Link is indeed more accurate for those who's seek 100% true remake but do not provide the UT3 levels of graphics.

Today, 22-08-08, all these maps are still in beta stage.

First post updated.

Banned

Sweet.

===================

God King

DM-Eight by yubnub as been added to the list of maps to come.

DM-OldFactory by [TDC]Destroyer as been update by a newer version (the best one so far IMHO).

DM-ProjectGenesis by Genthly as now a download link (the private build that I've play from weeks is now available for everybody he he ). Still in alpha stage.

DM-TokaraFalls by Neocane as been added to the list of maps to come.

First post updated.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheDemonSlick

Steve, there's a new version of WAR-CityOfDragons by Bulgemaster out, it's pretty sweet, and a thorough guy like yourself will still probably have a hard time finding all the secret stuff! There are secret areas that lead to secret areas that lead to secret areas! It really needs a high player count though, in my opinion. I chase maps like you, and that and CarnageCanyon by ShadeMistress are two of the top WAR maps around right now for me. Also, where is Grogan? Waaahhh!!!!
    Server Admins and PS3 hosts... Your machines are crying out for JUSTICE!!! http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=683493
    The Demon Slick went BOOM!
    http://www.freewebs.com/boomshouse/
    The Skaarj Return! Thanks to EE. http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=680443

God King

The Demon Slick

Hey

Yeah, I saw these 2 (WAR-CarnageCanyon & WAR-CityOfDragons) but I did not like them visually speaking. They are fun but the visuals don't inspire me at all. This is what I answer to another member regarding WAR maps :

"I still play with UT99/2004. My most loved game type is ONS. Not that I don't like WAR type but when you had play 3 years on ONS and it is you're most loved game type and it isn't there in the "improved" game, it is EXTREMELY deceiving. I never been a big fan of Assault neither. Not that I did not like it but it was not in my playing priority.

I still think that Epic shouldn't force the player to play WAR because it isn't a better game type than ONS, it's a new game type. So they should allowed the player to choose from Assault, ONS or WAR and not just scrap everything to permit only 1 game type. Shame, now with the new WAR game type, combining ONS+Assault it's a big mess for me. So in all, WAR is not for me and that is why there isn't any WAR maps in my list. Maybe one day..."

But hey, THX for the info

Iron Guard

Stevelois! The fact that so many people have looked at the list tells you that your info is being used! Just because not everyone comments on the list isnt a bad sign!

Hey Steve,
    Speaking for myself, I lurk around the forum alot gathering info and search for answers to questions on the development and admin aspects of UT3. Posts like this are invaluable to the community at large and go a long way helping admins and players choose the best maps for on and offline play. Thanks for your efforts and I hope you continue providing this service.
    ------------------------------------------------
    my gaming machine: Altair 8800, 2 MHz processor, 256 bytes RAM, controlled with 16 toggle switches

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah nice post Steve. I've used it to check some maps out.

God King

CTF-Jugo 1.0 by Daze as been released.

The layout is simple and fun, the visuals and atmosphere are awesome, the music is simply superb, the reward sound when returning the flag is also well made, I LOVE it. There are other things that aren't common that he cleverly use, like putting the lights on the floor instead of putting them on the ceiling and such. I found that he put a lot of work in the map and it is highly polished. That is why the map is in the list now

TBH, that map surprised me ! I've found and commented some weakness in the thread if you're interested to read.

First post updated.

Banned

DM-Grinder just released in the full section.

God King

DM-Grinder-RE (Revised Edition) 1.0 by Bret Hart as been released.

The map is really great, a must. Some won't like the lighting or misalignments of lights and other things. I do like the way it is. Therefore, the map is lacking some information :

1 - There is no preview pic.
    2 - There is no player counts suggested.
    3 - There is no Readme either.
    4 - I was expecting some special credits from him in the Readme. Since this file is absent, there is nothing about the author, the dev process, credits, etc. I even proposed to make this file myself for him but he didn't answer me.

Anyway, for those that don't care for these points, go ahead, and download the map, it 100% worth it It only miss the 4 points above to be in my top picks of maps

EDIT

I like the map to much to not have it in my top picks of maps. I've play several matches and establish the player counts that is 4 to 10 players (3 vs 3 was the most fun). Since there is no Readme, I've made a Readme from scratch and complete the ini file. The only thing I couldn't do is the preview pic since I don't have the knowledge to do it myself.

Sincerely, I don't understand why some mappers don't take the time to document there work. Okay, it take me around 1 hour to gather all the information I could possibly found on the Internet, but hey, if I was the author, it would took me 2 minutes !

The Readme is the " bible " of the map. It provide some precious information about the map, the author, the dev process, the previous works and so on. For a personal purpose, it provide some reference to the fans of that mapper who's just by opening the text file discover the availability of some previous maps (think about Hourence, DGUnreal, Plutonic, TDB, Rogelio, etc). It help server admins to establish some matches knowing player counts, theme to use on tournaments, etc, etc, etc. On a professional level, it can even help the mapper find a job, a career in gaming if someone influent discover that map and see that the mapper as big potential viewing all the previous hard work having all the download links avalable if the mapper doesn't have a web page (I know some mappers that have find jobs like that). It may be look very banal at first sight but when you think about it, it's very important !

Now, if I was a new player, I would greatly appreciate to know the mapper earlier works, I would be curious about the dev of the map and so on. So, with that in mind, I've made the 2 files mentioned above. They are linked to the 1.0 version available at this moment. For anyone interested in the map, the previous works and such, you'll find the archive here : Link. I write everything I can possibly find, so I hope that players who like the map will appreciate.

EDIT 2

1) I've manage to make the preview screen and put it in a UPK file, corrected some information in the Readme. So the archive now contain the INI, the TXT & UPK files. Link above updated.
    2) I comments 2 small things to Bret but it's nothing major.

First post updated.

Boomshot

héhé.....just discover the place.....good job again steve
    ur list is full of very good maps and with the links....wow^^
    good list
    .......it still missing a good place somewhere with a complete map listing (gametype ;mapname;gametype;version & link)

ohh......and more than all......not enough UT3PC players lol....so many maps and so less players....at last one player/one map
    Last edited by Bl!tz~; 08-27-2008 at 05:31 AM.
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

God King

Quote Originally Posted by {BFG}Bl!tz~ View Post
    héhé.....just discover the place.....good job again steve
    ur list is full of very good maps and with the links....wow^^
    good list
    .......it still missing a good place somewhere with a complete map listing (gametype ;mapname;gametype;version & link)

ohh......and more than all......not enough UT3PC players lol....so many maps and so less players....at last one player/one map
    Hey, thx

Indeed, I think that there isn't enough PC players, it's sad But anyway, we have good maps to play

But I don't understand when you saying that ...still missing a good place somewhere... because this is what my thread is all about

Boomshot

haha that s just the result of my froggy english m8
    sure here s a good place with a list of good maps but what i mean is

an alphabetic list with all existing maps with some usefull infos;for example:

gametype/mapname/author/status or version/inspiration/forum/link
    DM/Morpheus/BNAvit/Final/UT99/EpicForum/Link

like u suggest it many infos but clicking on each category u need to get a list

if u type "UT99" u see all UT99 remakes......if u type BNAvit u have all the author maps.....if u type DM u have an alphabetic DM list

i actually have 637 UT3 zipped maps ........from "UTZone.de" ;from Epic Forum ;and from so many other "little" places ; it could help a lot to know if a remake was also done by someone else before starting working on it;if u are a fan of halo or quake or anything else it could take u ages to find all the remakes through several places.....with such a "tool" just some clicks^^

when i search a link to share it with my team mates if noone post on the map topic and if u have not the exact name it s a pain to find it
    all the forums are completly unorganized between ps3 or not and aborted betas....never seen such a war lol
    ur list is really a good list but it s not complete one(Elevation;GardenOfDreams and so many others... ) and everyone can do it so but it ll still personnal choices;i talk bout something with all existing maps ;the finals ;the betas and even the aborted ones they are all the result of the work of someone
    so even if ur list is excellent i m sure u hav miss some nice ones and with a complete listing that had not happen

i have that in mind since i ve begin to "try&test" maps for my clan server but it s an enormous job....and dunno if it s a good idea or just a divagation of my old head .......and more than all ...dunno if someone care^^
    Last edited by Bl!tz~; 08-27-2008 at 10:28 AM.
    ~THUND3RL4ND~IP:77.111.254.236:27015 -UOF-UnrealOldFriendsForum
    AsusFormulaV/FX-8350@8x5.0ghz/CustomLoop/MSI-N660TI-PE-OC/KingstonHyperX-8GbDDR3-1600Mhz/KingstonHyperX-SSD120GB/InWin-DragonRider/AntecQuattro1000W
    XFire&Steam:bfgblitz MyMaps

God King

{BFG}Bl!tz~

I understand now Well my short list is very time consuming so I imagine maintaining the hyper-duper-super list is to much work, a full time job ! That is why it as never being made. So thx for the explanations BTW, if you're speaking french, you can speak in french in my thread

God King

Quote Originally Posted by TheAgent View Post
    I dont see my map DM-HYberias haha, nice list those are all great maps!
    Thx for my list

I saw the map in the beta forum, TBH, I did not dwn it because I'm tired of Asian theme and some tech meshes. I see them to much often for my taste.

No offense to you're map because it look very good and seem to play very well to. I've check the final thread and everyone is happy so that is a good sign

I will maybe give it a try when I'll be in the mood

EDIT

Ok, it's stronger than me, I've try the map and answer in your final thread

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast