Thread: Gears and Halo

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Zaceroy

Default Gears and Halo

After reviewing much upcoming information about, probably the best game in the world, Gears of War 2, I'm starting to realise that some of the similarities between Gears and Halo are becoming more and more greater the more I learn about it. For instance:

- The Derrick similar to Halo's Elephant

- Grenade Sticking

- Matchmaking in Multiplayer

- No Clan system

- No dedicated Servers

Just to name a few. Some of these are unavoidable which is understandable, and many will probably think this thread is pointless. There may be other threads posted about this and if so I'm sorry for repeating myself. I just think if these are deliberate, I don't want Gears to turn into another Halo game.

If you agree with what I'm saying or have anything to add, please do.
    COG - Marcus
    Locust - Theron Sentinel
    Weapon - Torque Bow
    Map - River

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Slarg232

i dont think the derrik is going to be in MP, so i dont think we have to worry..... and the grenade sticking was in gow1

Banned

its basically halo with cover and more violence...don't deny the new pistol looking like a spiker or the health system... anyways stopping power is going to either make or break gow2 multiplayer... I don't think a lot of people will be happy i think it should be an option to turn on and off cause I bet a lot of mlg ***gots will whine

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by Deathscythe View Post
    its basically halo with cover and more violence
    not really.... in halo, there are guns that bounce of walls, guns that blow you up if you get hit by enough needles, sheilds, equipement

Banned

uhh and you're telling me a shield you walk around with and can use doesn't sound like "equipment"...

Banned
    Gamer IDs

uhh and you're telling me a shield you walk around with and can use doesn't sound like "equipment"...
    not something that you can just throw out there and it drains your opponents sheilds.... in gears, there a penalty for holding said "equipment" (you can only use your pistol) in halo, you can hold a rokkit lawnchair, a spartan laser, and then throw out equipment

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sarahb360

ur just being pedantic lol, oh yeah, in gears there are turrets which can be ripped off their mounts and carried too. like halo. (but that was before halo3)
    Last edited by Phayte; 07-04-2008 at 10:00 PM.

Banned

the pistol still looks like a spiker

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: III Divine

Quote Originally Posted by Mortificus View Post
    a rokkit lawnchair
    Lol! Nice. Ima use that from now on. But, getting back on topic, games may tend to be inspired by other games. The Derrick may look like the elephant in some areas, but its not usable in multiplayer. Grenade sticking was already in Gears 1 and besides you cant throw grenades at people and they stick to them like in Halo. People in Gears actually die from a headshot, the health system is similar as in most games now, Halo gets boring and Gears doesnt, you can use cover in gears while in halo you must run around.
    Gears was released without a clan system. It was released before halo 3. How did it copy?

I can go on...but I will stop here
    [[I qot ThaT Jasmine StRaFe]] [[6.11.oh 9]] <33
    [Forever && Always] <333
    She's my world, my all, my everything

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by II Echo3z II View Post
    Lol! Nice. Ima use that from now on.
    ok, but i didnt make that up... rokkit comes from warhammer 40k (the orks), and lawnchair comes from arby and the cheif (google it, its kinda dumb, but funny at te same time)

Banned
    Gamer IDs

the pistol still looks like a spiker
    the gorgan (or medusa, what ever their calling it now)? ill give you that one

Banned

none of this changes anything the pistol still looks like a spiker... the boomshot is the same color as the rocket launcher...

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Quote Originally Posted by II Echo3z II View Post
    Lol! Nice. Ima use that from now on. But, getting back on topic, games may tend to be inspired by other games. The Derrick may look like the elephant in some areas, but its not usable in multiplayer. Grenade sticking was already in Gears 1 and besides you cant throw grenades at people and they stick to them like in Halo. People in Gears actually die from a headshot, the health system is similar as in most games now, Halo gets boring and Gears doesnt, you can use cover in gears while in halo you must run around.
    Gears was released without a clan system. It was released before halo 3. How did it copy?

I can go on...but I will stop here
    You can die from a headshot in halo... lolz. Even though, the Hammerburst is compared to Halo's Carbine in reviews (Not saying it's based off it or anything) but just simple, little things that make gears, now seem Haloishh.
    COG - Marcus
    Locust - Theron Sentinel
    Weapon - Torque Bow
    Map - River

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: zIFATALITY

Why do you care about the colour of a Boomshot? Does it really matter if it has "similar" things to Halo, Because I don't care, Gears will be better than Halo 3 and we all know this so why complain?. (especially about colour and design about a pistol)

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: III Divine

Quote Originally Posted by zaceroy View Post
    You can die from a headshot in halo... lolz. Even though, the Hammerburst is compared to Halo's Carbine in reviews (Not saying it's based off it or anything) but just simple, little things that make gears, now seem Haloishh.
    No. Im trying to get across the problem that halo has with the sniper. Many headshots dont register as headshots. Many of the bullets hit, but all you see is a small splatter of blood that comes from their head and they dont get hurt.
    [[I qot ThaT Jasmine StRaFe]] [[6.11.oh 9]] <33
    [Forever && Always] <333
    She's my world, my all, my everything

Banned

Uhm don't you know? Color means everything jeesh. The story in gears is also similar to halos mankinds at a final desperate stand they're practically the same thing

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: zIFATALITY

Troll!!!. i hope you get banned

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Uhm don't you know? Color means everything jeesh. The story in gears is also similar to halos mankinds at a final desperate stand they're practically the same thing
    dude, you do realize that almost EVERY modern day human vs alien is this kind of storyline, right?

edit: and about the color: OMG, THEY MADE THE SKY BLUE, LIKE IN HALO!!! THE DIRT IS BROWN, LIKE IN HALO!!!11!!
    ok, im done being dumb
    Last edited by Mortificus; 07-04-2008 at 10:45 PM.

Banned

Thumbs down

Quote Originally Posted by ARman View Post
    Troll!!!. i hope you get banned
    how am I a troll? I'm being sarcastic... I know its hard to tell with just reading but after i say color is everything well... you know also whats with the period after the exclamation marks?

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: xSINxRampage

Halo Sucks!!!
    xSINxRampage

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Also, the flamethrower.... Halo 3 has one also :/ Nonetheless Gears owns Halo as a series hands down
    COG - Marcus
    Locust - Theron Sentinel
    Weapon - Torque Bow
    Map - River

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Snagprophet

Just face it, both Gears and Halo are copies of Space Invaders specificlly because they have guns in them and you can defeat enemies. I asume Carmine is a copy of Master Chief because they both wear helmats. Gears copied the Halo snipe, by allowing it to zoom in. Both have lasers in. Um, youcan aim in both to that's another copy.

Seriously, you could go on forever.

Palace Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoatedTrout

Halo gets boring and Gears doesnt, you can use cover in gears while in halo you must run around.
    Oh god I knew this was going to turn into a a 'f*** halo lol!' fest.

I doubt anything was intentionally copied, and if it was inspired by something from halo, they would probably have a word with bungie.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XxLuCky5hOt21xX

Quote Originally Posted by Mortificus View Post
    i dont think the derrik is going to be in MP, so i dont think we have to worry..... and the grenade sticking was in gow1
    Are you serious grenade sticking wasn't in gow 1. Another similar thing between halo and gears is the flamethrowers.
    Tomorrow Sera will be mine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Disciple of Waldo.

Dancing on the ashes of the world, I behold the stars.
    Heavy gale is blowing to my face, rising up the dust.
    Barren lands are desperate to blossom, dark stars strive to shine.
    I still remember blue oceans, in this dying world.