Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    MSgt. Shooter Person

Has anyone got this product working with c# express?

I have installed C# express (framework 3.5), then installed the VS2008 Shell (then rebooted), and then installed the pixel mines unrealscript tool.

When I goto 'New Project', i do not see the 'UnrealScript' project type

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Gleedo View Post

I have installed C# express (framework 3.5), then installed the VS2008 Shell (then rebooted), and then installed the pixel mines unrealscript tool.

I think the Professional edition is required. Someone else I know tried to get it to work with Express and wasn't able to. You might want to try posting on PixelMine's forums.

Iron Guard

nFringe is effectively released now. The only reason it's still "in beta" is professional studios have been requesting new features that are being added over time.

Quote Originally Posted by WOLFhellfire View Post
    I'll be looking forward to this one.
    I feel like I went in a time machine here

Feel free to give it a try: http://wiki.pixelminegames.com/index...=Tools:nFringe

Visual C# Express Edition installs as a separate product. To work with nFringe, open up the Visual Studio 2008 instead, which you'll find under:

Start > All Programs > Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 > Microsoft Visual Studio 2008

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by 280Z28 View Post
    Visual C# Express Edition installs as a separate product. To work with nFringe, open up the Visual Studio 2008 instead, which you'll find under:

Start > All Programs > Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 > Microsoft Visual Studio 2008
    Thanks, will give that a try when I get in...failing that, i'll install the full blown environment

Iron Guard

Thanks, will give that a try when I get in...failing that, i'll install the full blown environment
    I forgot to mention: when you install Visual Studio 2008 Shell, it shows up as simply "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008". You don't need to install Standard or Professional Edition to have that option available.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I forgot to mention: when you install Visual Studio 2008 Shell, it shows up as simply "Microsoft Visual Studio 2008". You don't need to install Standard or Professional Edition to have that option available.
    Oooh, I did notice a 'Microsoft Visual Studio 2008' in my start>programs, but I thought that must have been left over from the last time i installed VS2008 pro. Will take a look later - thanks again

EDIT: yes, found the new unreal projects thingy
    Last edited by Gleedo; 03-03-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Any chance of getting debugging to work with 2.0? I get an error that says it isnt compatible.

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by ogssan View Post
    Any chance of getting debugging to work with 2.0? I get an error that says it isnt compatible.
    Absolutely, I know exactly why and how to fix it. Unfortunately, some recent independent UE3 (not UT3) changes broke debugging in a different way for our licensed users and that's been the priority for the past week. I'm on vacation until the 23rd, so I should have a new build out on the 24th that fixes it for UT3 2.0.

Iron Guard

Well, I'd have it done and posted now, but the 2.0 update wiped my saved CD key and I can't find the booklet, so I'm locked out. This kind of corporate BS is the reason nFringe doesn't have a CD key.

Edit: I found it, doesn't change the fact that I shouldn't have needed to look.
    Last edited by 280Z28; 03-10-2009 at 09:40 AM.

Iron Guard

This should work:
    http://www.pixelminegames.com/downlo....0.19025.0.msi

Edit: Yup, it works well. Let me know if you run into any problems!
    Last edited by 280Z28; 03-09-2009 at 07:21 PM.

cool, thanks for the quick help

MSgt. Shooter Person

I've switched over from notepad++ to this IDE and so far I'm very please. It was missing two main features that I found very useful from notepad++; one of which I've been able to replicate, the other I have not.

First, similar-term highlighting (i.e., I highlight "VilExampleVariableName" and all other instances of that term are highlighted as well). The RockScroll plugin for visual studio did this and better, really pleased here.

The second feature I really miss, and one I have not been able to get working, is brace pair highlighting. Example:

function {
    stuff stuff
    more stuff
    crazy stuff
    }

If I put my cursor near one of the braces, the other should highlight. I tried using the matchingbraces addon, but it does not seem to function properly (it was made for C++ 2008, so perhaps it simply isn't activating for unrealscript).

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by Virance View Post
    The second feature I really miss, and one I have not been able to get working, is brace pair highlighting.
    Use the arrow keys to move the cursor.

I've been working on a clean solution for this. Mine works much better than the default for 3rd party languages, but I still don't have mouse support right. When I get it in, I'll be filing another report at MS for a fix that doesn't need a workaround.
    http://social.msdn.microsoft.com/For...-a7f212ed68cf/
    https://connect.microsoft.com/Visual...dbackID=373539

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks for the suggestion, keyboard works fine (only seems to highlight the opening brace, not the closing brace - even if I highlight from the opening - but it's far better than nothing). Odd that this bug has existed for so long >.>

Iron Guard

Thanks for the suggestion, keyboard works fine (only seems to highlight the opening brace, not the closing brace - even if I highlight from the opening - but it's far better than nothing). Odd that this bug has existed for so long >.>
    The cursor has to be on the right hand side of the brace for both the opening and closing braces. Ideally the highlighting should activate if the cursor is just outside the brace, so it's currently off for the opening brace.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Figured out why I was having that last issue; the RockScroll plugin I was using is "sticky" with what it highlights (so if I highlight something, then deselect it - it still has the subtle "highlight all instances of that word" coloring). Anyhow, I must have double-clicked a closing brace trying to get the brace matching to work so it was subtly highlighted from that (a lot more subtle than my bright green background for brace matching).

Turns out the RockScroll breaks the brace matching highlight, so if one of the types of braces is highlighted by RockScroll it will not highlight through the brace matching. So that issue is resolved at least.

Sucks that I can't get matches by simply mouse-clicking near a brace, but the keyboard workaround is certainly usable for now - thanks so much for the help! Using the keyboard sure as hell beats trying to track down where the braces open and close on my own.

Iron Guard

Sucks that I can't get matches by simply mouse-clicking near a brace, but the keyboard workaround is certainly usable for now - thanks so much for the help! Using the keyboard sure as hell beats trying to track down where the braces open and close on my own.
    So is everything else working out for you?

I guess the only reason it isn't done yet is IDE performance is of utmost priority to me, and I can't attach code to mouse movement unless I can be 100% sure it will never cause any lag.

Please let me know if you run into other problems. It's my full time job to make sure that when all the hobbyists go work at game companies I've given them something they can't live without.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yup, everything else is working swimmingly. The syntax highlighting (most important feature for me) works quite a bit better than Notepad++'s. Compiling is working fine (though I'm not sure I'm going to use it, I'll likely keep using the UTFrontEnd for compiling), no errors or crashes. Installation was very easy with VS08Pro.

The only two major issues were the ones I listed above, and one was solved completely (even more than solved, RockScroll is absolutely amazing). The bracing issue is a minor annoyance, but certainly worth the tradeoff for all the benefits over my previous environment. I havn't gotten a chance to use the debugger yet, so I'll certainly give some feedback there when I can.

Iron Guard

The syntax highlighting (most important feature for me) works quite a bit better than Notepad++'s.
    Do you have it set up with the reference source? The IntelliSense does some cool things for you, like if you type "override" and hit space outside a function, a dropdown appears with a selection list of all the functions from base classes that you could override there.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Do you have it set up with the reference source? The IntelliSense does some cool things for you, like if you type "override" and hit space outside a function, a dropdown appears with a selection list of all the functions from base classes that you could override there.
    Okay, that's just plain awesome :-D

Iron Guard

The bracing issue is a minor annoyance, but certainly worth the tradeoff for all the benefits over my previous environment.
    I just fixed this issue. Sorry I couldn't get it in for 19395, but it'll be included in the next build!

I am writing some tutorials based on this tool, just wondering, is it a problem for everyone that you need to reload the project before you can build? I always see:
    The “Ucc” task was not given a value for the required parameter “UccPath”.

Not a big deal, but I've seen the issue on both of my PC's, didn't know if I am doing something wrong or if its a bug?
    Tutorials... I am writing them as I learn it myself, so if you have feedback/corrections/critisims, please share
    How to quickly test your UT3 mods with nFringe
    Creating your first Unreal Tournament 3 mutator (The SuperStinger)
    Setting up Visual Studio 2008 for UnrealScript development with nFringe
    *If you are wondering, you don't need to buy Visual Studio or nFringe. Read the tutorial!

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by gtzpower View Post
    I am writing some tutorials based on this tool, just wondering, is it a problem for everyone that you need to reload the project before you can build? I always see:
    The “Ucc” task was not given a value for the required parameter “UccPath”.

Not a big deal, but I've seen the issue on both of my PC's, didn't know if I am doing something wrong or if its a bug?
    Yes, that's a remaining bug

I look forward to seeing the tutorials. Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions on ways to improve it.

Yes, that's a remaining bug

I look forward to seeing the tutorials. Feel free to ask questions or make suggestions on ways to improve it.
    Check out my sig.
    Tutorials... I am writing them as I learn it myself, so if you have feedback/corrections/critisims, please share
    *If you are wondering, you don't need to buy Visual Studio or nFringe. Read the tutorial!

I just put up a new tutorial that inspired a suggestion/question for you. There are some command line options that I can only get to work when I add them into the "Load map at startup" field (this wasn't very obvious to me at the time). Is this by design, or do you think this would be better suited as its own field for these types of commands? (e.g. "WAR-Torlan?Mutator=SuperStinger.SuperStinger?quickstar t=1" is my current map name)

If you want to see a screenshot, just click the top tutorial in my sig.

Thanks

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cybran

hey, just installed the latest version of nFringe - it's bad ass! The class view is now working for me, and a lot more code warnings are appearing. great job!

Iron Guard

LOL those warnings are wrong. I'm getting rid of them on Tuesday, and I'll put them back in when it's actually correct.

Possible bug? My build output shows the following location for my .u file, however when I browse to that location, the .u file does not exist:

------ Build started: Project: VehicleTest, Configuration: Debug Win32 ------
    VehicleTest -> C:\Documents and Settings\jskaggs\My Documents\Visual Studio 2008\Projects\VehicleTest\VehicleTest\Unpublished\ CookedPC\Script\VehicleTest.u
    ========== Build: 1 succeeded or up-to-date, 0 failed, 0 skipped ==========

The file is actually located in:
    C:\Documents and Settings\jskaggs\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\Script

Also, I notice that the build just fails if the .u file is loaded into the Unreal Editor and the editor is still open. Closing the Unreal Editor will allow the build to succeed, so I assume its a file locking issue. I think it would be nice if nFringe could report the reason for failure in this case (e.g. "Unable to delete file ....").
    Last edited by gtzpower; 03-28-2009 at 09:43 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cybran

LOL those warnings are wrong. I'm getting rid of them on Tuesday, and I'll put them back in when it's actually correct.
    LMAO well at least the class view works

I'm having real trouble with intellisense. Been all over your forums, but it just refuses to work.

I was working with notepad ++ before, and defaulted .uc to be opened by that, if that helps?

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by BeastRules222 View Post
    I'm having real trouble with intellisense. Been all over your forums, but it just refuses to work.

I was working with notepad ++ before, and defaulted .uc to be opened by that, if that helps?
    Does syntax highlighting for .uc files work in Visual Studio?

If syntax highlighting works, does the word "config" highlight as a keyword (by default blue). If not, check Tools > Options > Text Editor > File Extension, and make sure you do not have .uc files set to open in the Microsoft Visual C++ editor.

Do you have the Reference Source path configured, where the reference sources show in the Solution Explorer?

Do errors show in the Errors window when you have UnrealScript files open? Certain errors cause IntelliSense to fail, in which case you should send me one of the failing files so I can fix it.

Let me know!

Thanks,
    Sam

Thanks for quick reply,

Yes, the highlighting works, and i also have the reference source (scriptsource 1.4)

I don't think it's giving me any errors, when i load VS the only thing that seems to be remotely related to intellisense is the ANTLR intellisense engine, which says parsing 2000 files etc.

Possibly a symptom; while most classes will show as a greeny blue when I type them in, the PlayerController class doesn't.

EDIT:

Just to note: I have VS 2008 shell.
    Last edited by BeastRules222; 03-30-2009 at 02:09 PM.

Iron Guard

Thanks for quick reply,

Yes, the highlighting works, and i also have the reference source (scriptsource 1.4)

I don't think it's giving me any errors, when i load VS the only thing that seems to be remotely related to intellisense is the ANTLR intellisense engine, which says parsing 2000 files etc.

Possibly a symptom; while most classes will show as a greeny blue when I type them in, the PlayerController class doesn't.

EDIT:

Just to note: I have VS 2008 shell.
    The parse error is occurring in the PlayerController class, resulting in it not being adding to the IntelliSense database. I believe a new function modifier keyword was added that nFringe doesn't recognize. You can add it in the Function Modifiers category in Tools > Options > nFringe Options > Keywords.

The parse error is occurring in the PlayerController class, resulting in it not being adding to the IntelliSense database. I believe a new function modifier keyword was added that nFringe doesn't recognize. You can add it in the Function Modifiers category in Tools > Options > nFringe Options > Keywords.
    Umm... I don't have a clue what keyword that would be...

And where can I see this parse error?

EDIT: I found how to get parse errors up:

I get this:

Code:
    C:\Users\Dave\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Src\Engine\Classes\PlayerController.uc(0,0): UnrealScript: Errors occurred during a pre-parse operation.
    Last edited by BeastRules222; 03-30-2009 at 02:33 PM.

Iron Guard

Umm... I don't have a clue what keyword that would be...

And where can I see this parse error?

EDIT: I found how to get parse errors up:

I get this:

Code:
    C:\Users\Dave\Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Src\Engine\Classes\PlayerController.uc(0,0): UnrealScript: Errors occurred during a pre-parse operation.
    Double click it, and it'll open PlayerController.uc. Once that file is open, you'll get the detailed errors listed in the Errors window.

Double click it, and it'll open PlayerController.uc. Once that file is open, you'll get the detailed errors listed in the Errors window.
    Thanks for your patience...

I don't see any errors when I open it up though. I assumed u meant the error list window?

EDIT:

I'VE FIXED INTELLISENSE! TO all: make sure .NetFramework SDK 2.0 is installed (might be worth adding this to wiki).
    Last edited by BeastRules222; 03-30-2009 at 06:04 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hello
    I get an error if i try to build anything. I have made the very good tutorials at http://www.jadeskaggs.com/category/tutorials/ but if i click on start debuging i get a error saying error at building do you want to continue with the last working build.
    i even get thes error if i try to run a unedited default unreal script game mod template.
    Please help somebody

nvm.. thanks for the help.
    Last edited by kOs; 05-04-2009 at 02:53 PM.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123