MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Hitting the ceiling causes death?

Ive been seeing that in most user maps on PS3 (not sure of PC), if i feign death while flying up, when i hit the ceiling, i die. Can anyone explain? I think it is pretty funny, tricking my friends into thinking that it causes you to fly out of the level.
    \\\ ///
    o o
    O

Sigint: "Uh, Snake...what are you doing?"

Snake: "I'm in a box."

Sigint: "A cardboard box? Why are you...?"

Snake: "I dunno. I was just looking at it, and suddenly I got this irresistable urge to get inside. No, not an urge - more than that. It was my destiny to be here; in the box."

Boomshot

It happens on PC too. I believe it is because the game notices that there is not enough room for you to stand up and therefore assumes that you are stuck.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fr0z3nB0nes

Try feigning death in front of any speedtree. If you fall under it you get crushed!

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Jrubzjeknf

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Evil View Post
    It happens on PC too. I believe it is because the game notices that there is not enough room for you to stand up and therefore assumes that you are stuck.
    Its actually much simpler than that: you just break your neck. What do you think that would do IRL when the head attempts to dislocate itself from the body?
    My Work: MantarunAssist - TeamSpecificActors_v2 - UT2k4ScoreRecovery_v3

Quote Originally Posted by rhiridflaidd View Post
    I remember when I first saw a cicada in-game and had a shock vs cicada duel (I had the shock.)

The shock did nothing, and the cicada couldn't hit me no matter how he tried. We both walked\flew away bored after a while.

It's probably applying falling damage. The ragdoll collision code only checks whether the collision was on the Z-axis, not whether it was up or down. This was primarily because I wasn't sure which collision normal I'd get from the engine when both objects were moving on the Z-axis (imagine falling onto an ascending Raptor) so I took the safe side. Besides, as has been pointed out, it makes reasonable sense anyway

MSgt. Shooter Person

no it's even more simpler, if you touch anything with your head before hitting something else, you die

it's a bit strange because you can survive a super high fall, or bumping in to a wall at infinite speed
    and when not feigning death, you can survive any hit to a wall or ceiling with your head...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Some guy was on my team last night and I was tryin to get a manta on sinkhole and got on its wing while it was spawning so he shot a rocket at it and the manta rocked back and forth then crushed me and killed me. What an asshole!

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by mega_d0peman View Post
    Some guy was on my team last night and I was tryin to get a manta on sinkhole and got on its wing while it was spawning so he shot a rocket at it and the manta rocked back and forth then crushed me and killed me. What an asshole!
    That's happened to me too, e.g. when I try standing on an occupied Goliath so it can't shoot me, if it drives over a bump it mysteriously roadkills me.

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Solevaliant

The bigger issue for me is taking damage from bumps/ramps while riding hoverboards. I always have to jump when I reach the base of the ramps on Onyx Coast to avoid losing 6-8 health out of nowhere.

Boomshot
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Fr0z3nB0nes

You can if standing on a goliath get run over by the main gun!

Oh if you do manage to survive being flung into the air while feigning death just try pushing the feign death button again to stand up in mid air...

MSgt. Shooter Person

I seeen ppl try standin on the levi I just kept drivin and got a pancake on them out of nowhere