Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

Default How to setup UT3 redirect and clarify it is working!

Alot of people seem to be having problems with redirect, some seem to be assuming that it is not working because files are downloading slowly and that they must obviously be coming from the server instead, it also seems that few are clarifying or know how to clarify their redirect is working.

Content in UT3 is larger so downloads from both gameserver and redirect will take longer than in previous versions of UT.

1st of all, the only thing that needs adding to your UTEngine.ini is

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://pathtoyourredirect/
    UseCompression=False (if not using uz3 files) or True (if using uz3 files)

Then make sure that

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload

is in there too, if not, add it. Make sure your custom maps are located in \Unreal Tournament 3 (Dedicated Server)\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

If you think you are having problems with redirect after adding this clarify that your redirect server is working, do this by adding/changing this in UTEngine.ini

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=False

(This will stop the server pushing the file itself so if it can't find it on redirect you'll get a connection failed error. If set to true it will check redirect and if it can't find file there for whatever reason it will push file from the server. You don't want it to do this as you are checking your redirect is actually working.)

If you get a connection failed error when trying to download the map (it won't even start downloading, the error will come straight away) then your redirect isn't working for some reason (maybe redirect server offline or your settings are wrong somewhere, double check). Maybe even try uninstalling, reinstalling and repatching, it isn't uncommon for things to go wrong when installing/patching. If you don't get the connection failed error and download starts and is slow then the problem is your redirect and there is nothing you can do about that other than change it.

The error looks like

Once you have checked this and your redirect is working (but slowly) change AllowDownloads=False back to true and look for a better redirect.

You can check your redirect speed by pointing your internet browser to http://pathtoyourredirect/ and clicking on one of your files, download will start and you will be able to see the speed it comes off at.

Your redirect in a browser will look something like

Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 03-26-2008 at 09:14 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

These settings are in the "UTEngine.ini" file right? If so I did everything correctly. I didn't add the "www" in there because I don't think you need it!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yes UTEngine and whether or not you need www. depends on the webserver the redirect is on. Most domains can be accessed using both but it depends on how the redirect is setup. I run my own webserver and I always setup domains to use both.

EDIT:I just checked for you and your domain can be accessed with both
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 02-17-2008 at 02:07 PM.

very noobish question, but does the above also applies to linux server?

MSgt. Shooter Person

I set everything as stated and checked that YES I can click on a file and it downloads fast to my desktop, but I STILL get that "Error Opening File" message.

I placed my files to be redirected to the \Public_HTML directory on my redirect server... Is that the right place for them to be for redirecting? Everything seems to be working so I assume thats the right spot. I click on the file and if flys down to my PC!

Iron Guard

Quote Originally Posted by sgar View Post
    Yes.

Quote Originally Posted by clark kent View Post
    I set everything as stated and checked that YES I can click on a file and it downloads fast to my desktop, but I STILL get that "Error Opening File" message.

I placed my files to be redirected to the \Public_HTML directory on my redirect server... Is that the right place for them to be for redirecting? Everything seems to be working so I assume thats the right spot. I click on the file and if flys down to my PC!
    Yes. \Public_HTML is where you would put the files, though I would create a folder underneath called "redirect" or something obvious like that. On my redirect I have an additional level under "redirect":

\public_html\redirect\ut3

So my path in UTEngine.ini is

RedirectToURL=http://<myredirectserverURL>/redirect/ut3/

Don't forget the trailing slash. It's important.
    Slaughter's Place Forums | Game Server: Quad-Core Xeon co-located in St. Louis, MO USA
    BattleFreeztagArena/BattleTeamArena: 64.37.73.205

MSgt. Shooter Person

Others have also had trouble getting redirect to work by only using http://yourdomain/ definately try adding another folder. Mine has another folder and works perfect, http://mydomain/UT3/ Is what I use as I also redirect 2k4 from same server and that has a folder called UT2k4 (http://mydomain/UT2K4/)

Quote Originally Posted by sgar View Post
    The same troubleshooting procedure will work for Linux.
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 02-18-2008 at 03:36 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Question, as I am setting this up today on our server.
    When you say the maps go to
    \Unreal Tournament 3 (Dedicated Server)\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
    is that the game install folder on the server, or the
    my documents\my games
    folder on the server.
    My FJ Cruiser * YotaTech, Toyota OffRoad Tech
    Case - Antec 900 Gamer | PSU - Thermaltake ToughPower 650 Watt | Motherboard - Asus P5N32-E | CPU - Intel Duo Core 3.0 GHz E6850
    Ram - Corsair PC-8500 2 GB | Hard drive - Seagate SATA II 320 GB | Video Card - EVGA 8800 GTS 512 MB | Soundcard - Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Logitech Z680 Speakers | Asus MW221u 22" Widescreen | DVD/CD - Pioneer DVR-112D | Deck Legend Keyboard | Logitech G9 Mouse | XP Pro

How do i use compression?
    Do i just zip all files or what?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Corey View Post
    Question, as I am setting this up today on our server.
    When you say the maps go to
    \Unreal Tournament 3 (Dedicated Server)\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps
    is that the game install folder on the server, or the
    my documents\my games
    folder on the server.
    I believe that would depend if your using -nohomedir. If your not then my documents, if you are then game install folder

Quote Originally Posted by Wowbagger View Post
    How do i use compression?
    Do i just zip all files or what?
    Use something like ut3compress, that makes it really simple.
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 02-23-2008 at 12:53 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks AZ, we do not use the -nohomedir txt in our runserver.bat file.

I Googled the zip thing you mentioned.
    http://www.unrealna.net/forums/showthread.php?p=12490
    I take it takes all the map files and puts them into one file instead, and we just upload that file to the redirect server.

I will try it without compression first to see if it works OK, then may try that app.
    Case - Antec 900 Gamer | PSU - Thermaltake ToughPower 650 Watt | Motherboard - Asus P5N32-E | CPU - Intel Duo Core 3.0 GHz E6850
    Ram - Corsair PC-8500 2 GB | Hard drive - Seagate SATA II 320 GB | Video Card - EVGA 8800 GTS 512 MB | Soundcard - Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer
    Logitech Z680 Speakers | Asus MW221u 22" Widescreen | DVD/CD - Pioneer DVR-112D | Deck Legend Keyboard | Logitech G9 Mouse | XP Pro

MSgt. Shooter Person

It compresses files for the map into the .uz3 format. For each file you have for a map you will end up with one, slightly smaller, .uz3 file.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks, will try that later.

I did get a snag at first with the redirect.
    We have the server set to load TDM Sentinel when we run the runserver.bat file to launch the game.

I went into the game and played for a bit, then hit F5 to bring the CustomUT map vote screen up.
    I choose Phobetor, but nothing happened.
    I voted again and it went to a stock map instead.

I voted one more time and it then went to Phobetor like it should.

Then I voted to change it to anotehr custom map called Cath, and it changed right away to it.

I wonder why I got the snag the first time.
    Maybe something had to configure in the ini file?

Also for the CustomMaps folder on the server I did not just dump the maps all together, I have two separate yellow folders called Phobetor and Cath which have the maps inside.
    I hope that is OK to do it that way.

Now on the redirect server which is my personal website, I just have one folder called ut3_redirect and dumped the contents of both maps into it without folders.

MSgt. Shooter Person

PS, not sure what this ut.com they are talking about.
    It is all new to me, never done this before.
    ====================
    = UT3Compress v1.0 =
    ====================

Overview
    --------------------
    UT3Compress is a painfully simple application that lets users who have patched their
    game to support the compress command easily compress files. It creates compressed
    files that are .uz3 format. It was written in .NET/C#.

Requirements
    --------------------
    Somewhat unclear. No guarantees.

1) Microsoft .NET Framework 2.0
    2) An install of Unreal Tournament 3
    3) A patched UT3.exe so that it supports the compress command.

Known Issues
    --------------------
    The way the compress commandlet is implemented in the current beta patch is odd
    and not optimal. It seems to load most of the game assets (200MB+) all to use the
    compression commandlet. This means it takes an immensely long time to compress files,
    not because the files are big, but because the game loads a lot of other assets prior
    to compression.

For the love of everything, use the UT3.com file. You are allowed to use the UT3.exe
    instead, but there's no reason you should choose it over the UT3.com. When using the
    UT3.exe, commandlet windows open separately and will stay after completion, using the
    UT3.com will not leave any windows open and will clean up after itself.

Compatibility
    --------------------
    Tested on Windows XP SP2 mainly. Program ran successfully on a Windows 2003 Advanced Server
    install, but since the server was not patched could not test for successfull compression.

Contact Information & Bug Reports
    --------------------
    Created by epitaph.Most questions and comments or bug reports should be relegated to the
    thread in the "Server Administration" forum of UnrealNA.com. If you truly must, you can
    email me at @@@@@@@

http://www.unrealna.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

If your PC does not have Microsoft's .NET Framework 2.0 you can get the redistributable package
    here:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/d...displaylang=en

MSgt. Shooter Person

UT3.com is in your binaries path, same place you would find UT3.exe
    Lian Li PC-A10B case | Corsair HX620W psu | eVGA 780i FTW | Intel Q9550 @ 3.6+ GHz (425*8.5) (1.336 V) | Corsair XMS2 4GB (4 x 1GB) DDR2 800 (@750) | eVGA 8800 GTS 512 (G92) @ 780/1800/1050(2100) | Creative X-Fi Xtreme Gamer sound card | (2) Seagate 7200.10 320 GB (No RAID) | D-Link DNS-323 with (2) Seagate 7200.10 500 GB (No RAID) | Sony DVD RW DW-G120A | Dell 2405 FPW | Vista Ultimate x64

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks.
    I tried out the Cath map which was 24.9 MB not counting the other two files in its folder which are
    DM-Cath_LOC_int.upk
    DM-Cath.ut3
    DM-Cath.ini

After it compressed it, I ended up with one file called
    DM-Cath.ut3.uz3
    and it is 22.6 MB.

I take it the program did also include the upk and ini files when it compressed the ut3 one?

It only saved about 2.3 MB, I thought it would be much more space it saved than that.

PS, I see there is a drop down box in the compression program, I guess I was suppose to include all the files, not just the .ut3 one?
    Last edited by Corey; 02-23-2008 at 03:03 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

It only compresses the file you select. The .ut3 file is the only one you need to do as it is the only one that will be sent to client.
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 02-23-2008 at 03:14 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks.
    Since the ini and the upk files are smaller, I take it those still get served up from the gaming server, and not from my personal site where the redirect folder is.

This is all new to me doing this.
    My friend who runs the server does it for his Counter Stike Source maps, but he said he uses some app called 7 zip.

Seems this one you pointed me to is better for UT.

Banned

Thanks.
    Since the ini and the upk files are smaller, I take it those still get served up from the gaming server, and not from my personal site where the redirect folder is.

This is all new to me doing this.
    My friend who runs the server does it for his Counter Stike Source maps, but he said he uses some app called 7 zip.

Seems this one you pointed me to is better for UT.
    If it's a custom piece of content on the game server, and the client doesn't have it, and you have redirect setup, it will look to the redirect server first and try to push all files to the client from the redirect, unless they do not exist there. So put all map relative content on the redirect server, including the maps INI file. Otherwise, you are taking resources away from the game server itself and using them to deal with client downloads of the custom content.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oh, OK.

So I should still upload the ini and upk files to the redirect folder, but they do not need to be zipped up like the DM-Cath.ut3 one that gets zipped into DM-Cath.uz3, correct?

Banned

Oh, OK.

So I should still upload the ini and upk files to the redirect folder, but they do not need to be zipped up like the DM-Cath.ut3 one that gets zipped into DM-Cath.uz3, correct?
    none of it technically has to be compressed. but since they are so small, it's not worth it.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks, I understand now
    What I will do is pull the Phobetor map out of my CustomMaps folder on my own PC, then connect to the gaming server to see if I get the screen where the map is being pushed to me.

Thanks for all of your help guy's, this is fun setting up all this stuff, just takes time.

Then we have to do it all over again in a few weeks when we switch over to a brand new faster server, but it will be at the same IP.

UT slows down the Counter Strike game, and that one is full most of the time, so it takes priority over UT for now.

My friend had to shut down UT late last night until this morning as players in CS:S were complaining.

The CPU simply is not up to snuff for running tow games full time I guess.

We are going for a new quad core, much better than what it is on now.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oh, OK.

Only the .ut3 file is needed on redirect. .ini and .upk(LOC) are not pushed to the client, the only .upk that would be redirected is if the author added extra content into a seperate package, if this is done it will not have LOC in the file name. All files with LOC in the name do not get pushed. It is a waste of time and space uploading them to your redirect. I have checked my cache and only .ut3 files are pushed.
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 02-23-2008 at 07:30 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks again for the info AZ.
    Another question

We have CustomUT mutator on the server.
    Right now the server pushes it.
    I see this line in the redirect setup:
    If you think you are having problems with redirect after adding this clarify that your redirect server is working, do this by adding/changing this in UTEngine.ini

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=False

(This will stop the server pushing the file itself so if it can't find it on redirect you'll get a connection failed error. If set to true it will check redirect and if it can't find file there for whatever reason it will push file from the server. You don't want it to do this as you are checking your redirect is actually working.)
    Right now it is set to "True."
    I take it that needs to be that way since the server is pushing the mutator.
    If I want to put the mutator on the redirect, I should change the value to "False" instead?

If so, do I just dump the contents of the yellow folders all into the redirect folder so they are all mixed in with the uz3 files instead of leaving the mutator in its yellow folders?

MSgt. Shooter Person

No, changing AllowDownloads to False is only for the purpose of testing that redirect is working. This stops the server pushing files so if your redirect isn't working you will recieve an error as the file cannot be found from anywhere, thus clarifying that the redirect isn't working. Simply compress the mutator just like maps (.u, .upk files) and upload to redirect. What AllowDownloads=True means is that clients are first redirected to redirect server, if the file cannot be found there (doesn't exist, redirect server offline maybe) then your gameserver will push file itself. This should always be true once you have clarified your redirect is working purely as a backup, for example if your redirect server goes offline temporarily (it happens) then at least the server will push necessary files until it is back online, albeit very slowly.

AllowDownloads=True should always be set when you know your redirect is actually working.
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 02-23-2008 at 07:56 PM.

Banned

What about a custom character? Is there a line that I need to add to the UTEngine.ini to make sure any connecting clients can get the custom character .upk file downloaded to them so that they can see that custom character on the server?

For example, I have Evil Engine's Xan Kriegor model on both my client main rig and on my server and I can see him just fine when he's in the game.

Sorry, I don't mean to hijack this thread or anything. I'm just wondering if anyone's tried the compression and redirect techniques listed in this thread for custom characters. I've verified it does work for maps.
    Last edited by brdempsey69; 02-23-2008 at 11:04 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm going to check this for you as so far I haven't bothered adding any custom characters to my server so am unsure. I believe they will push though providing they are installed correctly.
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 02-25-2008 at 10:36 AM.

Hello,

I followed all the steps but I still got problems with the redirect.
    The custom maps are here "\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps"
    And the Linux server is updated to 1.2

When I set
    [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=False Downloads are slow

So I thought it was a slow redirect server. But when I download directly from it, the downloads are fast (a custom map in 30 sec)

Then I tried this

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=False

And I removed the uz3 file from the redirect server. This way I should get an error trying to download the file. But The game still gives a slow download.
    Does somebody know whats going on here? I really don't know it anymore
    My UTEngine.ini looks like this

[IpDrv.TcpNetDriver]
    AllowDownloads=True
    ConnectionTimeout=30.0
    InitialConnectTimeout=200.0
    AckTimeout=1.0
    KeepAliveTime=0.2
    MaxClientRate=15000
    MaxInternetClientRate=10000
    RelevantTimeout=5.0
    SpawnPrioritySeconds=1.0
    ServerTravelPause=4.0
    NetServerMaxTickRate=30
    LanServerMaxTickRate=35
    IdleServerTickRate=30
    DownloadManagers=IpDrv.HTTPDownload
    DownloadManagers=Engine.ChannelDownload
    NetConnectionClassName=IpDrv.TcpipConnection

[IpDrv.HTTPDownload]
    RedirectToURL=http://www.MyURL.nl/Redirect/ut3/
    UseCompression=True

Maupzilla
    Last edited by Maupzilla; 03-01-2008 at 05:41 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Can you check that in your UTEngine.ini the following is there

[Engine.Engine]
    NetworkDevice=IpDrv.TcpNetDriver
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 03-01-2008 at 07:57 AM.
    http://ovgyclan.com

My Muts-
    Revival Combo, Loaded Shock Rifle
    Dont help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

Yes it is there.
    [Engine.Engine]
    NetworkDevice=IpDrv.TcpNetDriver
    ConsoleClassName=UTGame.UTConsole
    GameViewportClientClassName=UTGame.UTGameViewportC lient

MSgt. Shooter Person

Redirect speeds do vary dependent on how much load is on the redirect server. Less load means faster speeds and heavy load means slower speeds, who is your redirect with?

My Muts-
    Dont help others because others have helped you,help others because its the right thing to do!!!

Iron Guard

Thanks.
    I tried out the Cath map which was 24.9 MB not counting the other two files in its folder which are
    DM-Cath_LOC_int.upk
    DM-Cath.ut3
    DM-Cath.ini

After it compressed it, I ended up with one file called
    DM-Cath.ut3.uz3
    and it is 22.6 MB.

I take it the program did also include the upk and ini files when it compressed the ut3 one?

It only saved about 2.3 MB, I thought it would be much more space it saved than that.

PS, I see there is a drop down box in the compression program, I guess I was suppose to include all the files, not just the .ut3 one?
    The .ini and LOC_int.upk wouldn't be sent down by the redirect anyway so you wouldn't need to compress and upload those. Note: You should compress other types of .upk files though.

The reason you only saved 2.3MB is because 'cooked' maps are already sort-of compressed and because the UT3 compression code isn't super efficient like a WinZip or rar program would compress them into those formats.
    Last edited by Slaughter; 03-01-2008 at 12:46 PM.
    Slaughter's Place Forums | Game Server: Quad-Core Xeon co-located in St. Louis, MO USA
    BattleFreeztagArena/BattleTeamArena: 64.37.73.205

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-{OVGY} View Post
    Redirect speeds do vary dependent on how much load is on the redirect server. Less load means faster speeds and heavy load means slower speeds, who is your redirect with?
    www.gamemaps.nl
    But I think the problem is that when I set the allowdownloads=False and I remove all my files from the redirect server the download still starts.
    I should get a error when things work fine. And I restart the server after every change made.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yes, you are quite right. Do you have -unattended in your commandline, are your config files getting reverted to defaults? I ask this because someone else in another thread who had your problem found that their config files where being overwritten with default values. -unattended stops this from happening. Other than that I am a bit unsure as to why your gameserver is deciding to completely ignore the values in [IpDrv.TcpNetDriver] section of your .ini

My Muts-

I asked the server provider if he used it in the command line. But I think we got something here. Thanks very much and I will let you know his answer

I wouldn't recommend using compression for the redirect at this time. The bandwith savings are minimal and according to my server logs the majority of clients are still asking for the wrong file (mapname.ut3.uz2 instead of mapname.ut3.uz3).

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by SirTobi View Post
    I wouldn't recommend using compression for the redirect at this time. The bandwith savings are minimal and according to my server logs the majority of clients are still asking for the wrong file (mapname.ut3.uz2 instead of mapname.ut3.uz3).
    I have also had this, I believe it is older client versions that are doing this for some reason, unfortunately the user agents in my logs are always the same for all versions of ut3 so it is hard to pinpoint which versions. What I can say is that everyone who uses my server (with compressed files) that is patched to 1.2 has no problems with redirect. The bandwidth savings too are small, however they are still usefull. Especially when you consider that if you save 2-4 MB on each map and you play twenty maps a night you will be saving 40-80MB of downloading, which to some can be alot.
    Last edited by AZ-{OVGY}; 03-02-2008 at 10:03 AM.

My Muts-

Quote Originally Posted by AZ-{OVGY} View Post
    What I can say is that everyone who uses my server (with compressed files) that is patched to 1.2 has no problems with redirect. The bandwidth savings too are small, however they are still usefull. Especially when you consider that if you save 2-4 MB on each map and you play twenty maps a night you will be saving 40-80MB of downloading, which to some can be alot.
    Sure, 1.2 works fine, but lots of people don't seem to have this patch yet, so I decided to turn compression off. I'd rather waste some bandwith if this allows more people to join the game.
    Last edited by SirTobi; 03-02-2008 at 10:17 AM.

AZ-{OVGY} Thanks for the tip. The redirect is working great now. The customMaps are placed in UTGame\CookedPC\CustomMaps. Mutators go in UTGame\CookedPC\Script and the ini files in /UTGame/Config. Thank you very much. O and I use compression as well

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast