Default MX-292 "Hellion" AXON's Prototype Flamethrower Mod [WIP] Questions Thread

I decided to take a step back with the Aliens Weapons for a moment to focus on a single weapon that's been repeatedly asked for.

I am currently Modelling it, Unfinished Screens (loosely based off of the Warhammer 40,000 Space Marines' Flamer):

Here are some Early UV Mapping screens.

This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version
    This Image Was Automatically Resized by using the Screenshot Tag.  Click to view the full version

The way this thing's going to work is as follows:

Primary Fire: Standard Flamethrower, flames should be able to sweep around corners like the Unreal2 flamethrower and any dynamic target should catch fire for 2-3 seconds per second (cumulative) exposed to the flame and take continuous damage for the duration. Persons who touch burning objects should take minor burn damage. Most vehicles will take minimal or no damage from the primary fire, it's just not hot enough to deal sufficient damage to metal.

Secondary Fire: I ran through a ton of ideas for this. A short (1/2-3/4 the length of Link Shaft) blue flame will jet out from the front of the Flamethrower like a huge welding torch. Touching the actual flame will deal a LOT of damage and will also instantly ignite targets for 5-10 seconds.

Furthermore, this weapon will deal significant damage to vehicles and should just about outright destroy the fragile structure of a Manta or Viper on contact with the open flame. This will burn massive ammo quickly.

Lastly, there will be a small LED temperature readout (a series of Green, Yellow, and Red Bars). If the flamethrower gets too hot, it could rupture the nozzle, effectively exploding the weapon and more than likely would roast the user alive, if the explosion alone didn't kill them....

So, it will:

Sound a warning when it reaches the red area.

A) Automatically shut down fire until sufficiently cooled (in the green). (85% chance, the technology's good, but still a prototype and is prone to the occassional malfunction)

B) Explode, dealing massive AOE damage and engulfing the user (and anyone near them, friend or foe) in a huge fireball. (15% chance)

Anyways, it's in the works I just don't know a thing about coding weapons, so any help or a shove in the right direction would be the shizzle.....

Doubting this will be out within the week, like I originally planned, but it's being worked on.
    Last edited by ShadeMistress; 02-17-2008 at 07:20 PM.
    "He who dies with the most toys, still dies... and I steal their toys." ~SM

Specs: Gigabyte S-Series GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066, EVGA Nvidia e-8800 GT 512 MB, X-Fi XGamer, 2x WD 500 GB SATA, Philips 20x DVD+-RW Dual Layer, SolyTech 1000W PS, Cooler Master CoolDrive 4, NZXT LEXA Blackline Case /w LED Temperature Display, Sylvania 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (1680x1050)

MSgt. Shooter Person

This is probably a good place to start.

http://ut40k.planetunreal.gamespy.co...tutorial_1.htm

Green_Day_584

geeze Shade... your creations cease to amaze me .

maybe you should also check out the UnrealScript section of these forums... not sure whats there, but im sure you're bound to find SOMETHING.

good luck!

Thanks guys, the model is finished, I'm just starting to put together the UV maps... Once it's looking pretty I'll start figuring out the coding, so I may have a Beta out within the next couple days.

Finished Model Pix:

Last edited by ShadeMistress; 02-14-2008 at 09:30 AM.

Specs: Gigabyte S-Series GA-P35-DS3L, Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 2.4 GHz, 4GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer 1066, EVGA Nvidia e-8800 GT 512 MB, X-Fi XGamer, 2x WD 500 GB SATA, Philips 20x DVD+-RW Dual Layer, SolyTech 1000W PS, Cooler Master CoolDrive 4, NZXT LEXA Blackline Case /w LED Temperature Display, Sylvania 22" Widescreen Flat Panel Monitor (1680x1050)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Hey shade how'd you come up with such a funny signature

"He who dies with the most toys, still dies... and I steal their toys."

It cracked me up. It's awesome!
    UT3 PC Tag: Mapper724

LOL, just thought it up when I was trying to figure out what my sig should be.

I added some updated pictures on the progress and slightly altered the OP.

As you can see, I just started making the UV maps and got a color scheme I am comfortable with. Originally, I was trying to stay away from red, since the Rocket Launcher is the huge red beast out of the weapons, but it just deserves to be red, since it's going to vomit fire all over the place. lol...

I do have some questions for any Blender artists that have done weapons, or any 3D artist that may know:

The tutorial I followed above was for 3DS Max, which I don't have and haven't used.

In a part of the tutorial, he uses "Dummy" objects for the Weapon and Muzzle Flash locations and these are *required* to represent the Bones for the animations. Well, okay I sorta get that, but Blender doesn't have "Dummy" objects. I put "Empty" Objects in and am hoping that they are supposed to be the same thing. Anyone know if these are one in the same and just called different things?

Also, the tutorial makes absolutely NO mention of what type of object that UE3 needs for weapon models. It just says "Export the model and then import it into the editor." Well, that's great, but what format am I exporting? What do I need to import the object as?

It's an okay tut, but is slowly becoming an annoyance. A more informative tutorial would be nice. Like, how many frames should each animation be? Is there support for additional custom animations? Are there other names set aside for these actions, for example: Idle (If I want the flame to flicker slightly), or Reload (in case I want a person to have to occassionally change tanks)?

There's good info, but it kinda leaves you with just as many questions as it has answers...

If things keep at this rate, the mod won't be out until I get my hands on the Mastering Unreal Books and get a full-on immersion into every possible aspect that's available, then picking out the parts I will actually need.

It's be nice if someone responded from time to time, or I'll assume there's absolutely no interest in it and therefore no point in releasing it to the public. Either way it goes in my portfolio, so not really my loss....

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: XxDeviousDJxx

nice weapons cant wait...hope it makes it to my ps3

it's not going to make it to any platform anytime soon if I can't get those answers.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I know nothing about making new weapons, but if you don't get a reply from some one who does, all I can suggest is the UT weapon design tutorials on the 3D Buzz site.

It is for an older version of UT but a lot of it might be the same and you might find your answers.

Well, I'd also like to know if it's possible to export a weapon model from UT3 to import into Blender?

It's not that I wanna change the weapon, I just wanted to use the Stinger as a way to get the scaling right on the weapon before exporting, so there'll be no toying with the scaling options in the engine. Less work for me later, when I could be focusing that energy into making the weapon work.

I'm about 75% finished with the model's UVW maps and should have a few updated pics soon of the finished model. After that, I just need to make the animations and it'll be ready for export/import and coding.

Well, I'm now officially stuck.

I have the model and animations done well enough to at least start coding for a Beta release, but..... the only tutorial that got posted tells me to, and I quote,"Ok using the shown actorx setting we now save the anim set and mesh." But, it's in 3ds MAX and I am using Blender.

I have no idea what the heck I am supposed to export the mesh as or how to do it (since I have no clue on what type of export script I should be looking for)....

Others have made weapons (ala Ripjack), so why is there no answer?

Iron Guard

While looking through the beta releases, I saw this post:
    http://gearsforums.epicgames.com/sho...d.php?t=602953
    about a blender psk exporter.
    Have you looked at any blender sites? Since there doesn't seem to be many custom weapon models at all, you may be the one of a few using blender, and it might pay to look elsewhere.

Thanks, but no one anywhere seems to know much, if anything, about this.

That PSK exporter does not work at all what-so-ever. It may help if someone could translate half of that thread for me because I cannot understand half of whatever that person is trying to say.

I tried extracting the .py script into every possible combination of paths, but I still have yet to see any option anywhere in blender that allows me to export either one of the file types.
    Last edited by ShadeMistress; 02-20-2008 at 03:54 AM.

I hope you get the help you need..cause a flamethrower would be an excellent addition to the game !!

Well, I had an issue with the initial export after I got it to finally do something, but I am still getting errors left and right, not to mention that when I merged the meshes into one big mesh, it moved a lot of things around, and now I have to go back in and re-model and map parts of it.

I'm sure I will get it done, it's just a matter of hashing out the details of working with that particular exporter. It's extremely picky about what it will and will not allow you to do.

Blender's Weight Paint mode is also proving to be somewhat of a hassle and does not want to allow weaight painting on certain vertices.

Like I said, I'll either get it done myself or I'll finish up the UV mapping and call in the help of another modeller to help get it finished.
    Last edited by ShadeMistress; 02-23-2008 at 11:57 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I really love the idea of a Flamer for UT3, I hope that you can get your head around the code or get the answers you need. Maybe you can get someone else to do the code side for you if thats possible. There are a few custom weapons out there I only hope that one day your Flamer gets to see the light of day.
    Dont give up your models are to nice for you to keep for your portfolio.
    Good luck!
    My PC Specs: Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.40GHz 4MB L2 Cache, eVGA Nivdia 8800 Gtx (768 mb), eVGA nForce 680i SLI LGA775 motherboard, 2 GB XMS2 Dominator DDR2 800mz Ram, Raptor 150 GB HD 10,000 RPM, (+2 x 500 GB for storage). UT3 Plays ok on Max setting

Well, the code I can handle, it's getting the model exported from Blender to a usable ActorX format (.PSK/.PSA) that I can import into UT3.

Once that's done I can start doing coding and put together some emitters.

The good news is that I found stock sounds that, when combined, make really neat flamethrower noises (after tweaking their pitch and volume output some).

This means that, whenever it does get done, THERE WILL BE A PS3 COOK.

Right now, though, I am backtracking, taking my mind away from this for a week or so (sometimes it helps me sort things out to just not look at it for a bit, then I go back and figure it out faster than grinding my brain for answers), and finishing up some stuff that was left unfinished.

Right now, that's WAR-Dune, which is coming along nicely and should make a nice, big battleground to test the flamer out...
    Last edited by ShadeMistress; 02-24-2008 at 02:37 PM.

Banned

I got a question? What does "WIP" mean?

I know it means current project or something like that.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RUKKU5

Quote Originally Posted by acgdy View Post
    I got a question? What does "WIP" mean?

I know it means current project or something like that.
    work in progress..

this is going to be so ill.
    Mobo: Gigabyte G33M-S2L
    PSU: PC Power&cooling Silencer 750w
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.3 GHz
    RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition DDR2 800 @ 956, 5-5-5-15
    Video: EVGA GTX 280 @710/1528/1180

3dMark06: 18685

Well, thanks to darknet, the model is ready to be put into the game, though it's a little smaller in-game than it looks in Blender (apparently Blender Units < Unreal Units by quite a bit). Anyways, that's not a huge deal as it can be scaled somehow.

Right now We just need either a coder to whip up the code (since I've already put together the model, with darknet's help, and added the required emitters for the actual weapon) orrrrr I guess I could try my hand at at.

I tried following that other tutorial, but the supposed .rar file that it's supposed to link to is not a rar at all, just something that starts loading a lot of text, then crashes my computer.... so I am stuck for now.... again.

At least until I find a coder that wants to throw this together or I find a better resource for coding weapons from scratch. (everything else I've seen is for editing existing weapon setups)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ShadeMistress View Post
    I tried following that other tutorial, but the supposed .rar file that it's supposed to link to is not a rar at all, just something that starts loading a lot of text, then crashes my computer.... so I am stuck for now.... again.
    I have had this happen with Firefox so if you tried to link to it with Firefox try the same page with I.E.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

I would love to see this weapon. It would add a whole new aspect to the gameplay!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: RUKKU5

for ammo you should have like little gas cans resembling the one attatched.
    Mobo: Gigabyte G33M-S2L
    PSU: PC Power&cooling Silencer 750w
    CPU: Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 @ 4.3 GHz
    RAM: OCZ Reaper HPC Edition DDR2 800 @ 956, 5-5-5-15
    Video: EVGA GTX 280 @710/1528/1180

3dMark06: 18685

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thumbs up

An interesting-looking flamer. I do hope this doesn't wind up like so many place-filler flame throwers I've seen, which need to use up their entire ammo tanks just so that the total damage can round up to one.

Loving the idea of it overheating and rupturing, though - sounds like a fun way of taking someone with you.

Quote Originally Posted by The Chimpy View Post
    An interesting-looking flamer. I do hope this doesn't wind up like so many place-filler flame throwers I've seen, which need to use up their entire ammo tanks just so that the total damage can round up to one.

Loving the idea of it overheating and rupturing, though - sounds like a fun way of taking someone with you.
    Oh no, no, no.... Primary fire will do a fair amount of damage vs people on foot, while Alt-Fire will do extreme damage to people and vehicles at the cost of a realllllly high fuel consumption.

I'm considering not putting in an ammo at all for this item, as it will be quite powerful and more than a little spam-friendly. We'll have to see after it's been tested in-game. I figured that the fuel container on initial pickup would be around 400-500, which should be more than enough to rain fire on people, and it will be able to get fully recharged via weapon lockers in the bigger gametypes.

Who knows, I may change my mind and make small, 25-shot pickups just to keep the spam down and still allow smaller Gametypes like DM to have ammo pickups... We'll have to see when I get that far and do some playtesting.

darknet showed me some in-game screens of the model replacing the shock rifle, and it looks roughly 1/2 the size it's supposed to be.

What I am looking for right now is an appropriate way to set up the weapon so that particles emitted by it can cause damage as well as making an emitter for targets that are caught on fire. Once that's all sorted out, I need to figure out how to create a dynamic light that will come on and cast flickering shadows, etc.

I tried using the ShockRifle.uc (exported code), but since it is a hitscan weapon, I don't think it's the best example of a template to use and deleting some stuff out and trying to compile it caused quite a few weird errors.

So.... I guess I will start reading up on some stuff and just try to write the code from scratch. (which would probably teach me more in the long run anyway)

Small bump, srry for the double post.

I am pecking my way through the UnrealScript files to see what's what... I'd almost prefer a coder with some experience put this together to get it out sooner, but I am studying up anyway...

Don't expect this out for at least a few months though If it turns out being a solo job.... Learning UnrealScript is almost like thinking you have a big step up by knowing some C++, then taking a big leap back to learn all of the workarounds and changes from how you'd normally do things. At least it's not horrendously hard to follow, there's just a crap-load of stuff to try and remember, then trying to keep everything in an organized layout that will run well in UE3... tedious....

I am beginning to recall why I stopped coding after Quake 2, involved processes... lol