Thread: Rock Collision?

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: McBrightside

Question Rock Collision?

I have some rocks (UN_Rock package, specificly the large talon-like ones you see on WAR-OnyxCoast) on my map, but they either have no collision (I think) or the collision is blown way out of proportion, as in it's not "form fitting". You get stopped a couple feet before any surface.

I know I could disable the collision on them and use a custom brushwork to make collision for them, but that would take too long seeing as there are a lot of rocks.

Is there a way I can make the collision efficient and quick?

Please help, any tips would be greatly appriciate!

Quote Originally Posted by Jagnot View Post
    I have some rocks (UN_Rock package, specificly the large talon-like ones you see on WAR-OnyxCoast) on my map, but they either have no collision (I think) or the collision is blown way out of proportion, as in it's not "form fitting". You get stopped a couple feet before any surface.

I know I could disable the collision on them and use a custom brushwork to make collision for them, but that would take too long seeing as there are a lot of rocks.

Is there a way I can make the collision efficient and quick?

Please help, any tips would be greatly appriciate!
    Import the meshes into your map as new assets then modify the collision in the mesh editor (Hint: right click and "duplicate" in the generic browser). If you modify the meshes in their native packages, you'll screw up other maps based on them. Well, at least thats the method I've used.
    Last edited by rRuuben; 02-07-2008 at 06:40 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ruuben, can you write a short tutorial how to duplicate Mesh in UED? I have almost the same problem with mesh from UN_Cave (I want to make it with per-poly collision, no convex) and I don't know how to duplicate them
    Polish community UT3-FanSite - http://ut3.com.pl

My maps (final release):
    DM-Bedroom (PC & PS3)
    DM-FlatWars (Pc & PS3)

In plans:
    VDM-CTF-VCTF-FlatWars
    DM-Bedroom2

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Yeah, or even just a paragraph or something to go on, I have no experience with the "mesh editor". :\

MSgt. Shooter Person

First you need to follow this post so you can rename the smesh.

If you follow that post correctly you should be able to right click the smesh and select rename. In the box where it says package click the down arrow and select your map (as long as it is loaded into the editor). Now if you double click the smesh you can change its collision in the static mesh editor.

Scroll down this page to collision for an excellent explanation of the different ways to set up collision.

When you close the editor DO NOT save the package you borrowed the static mesh from.

You can also borrow emitters and materials to edit this way.
    Last edited by Zoo; 02-07-2008 at 08:42 PM.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Ok, I was able to follow it up to the saving of the mesh.

obj savepackage package="S_UN_Rock_SM_Blackcliffs02" file="UN_Rock.upk" is what I think it should be, though it says I'm missing a filename?

Dunno what I'm doing wrong... :\
    Last edited by Jagnot; 02-07-2008 at 09:47 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Jagnot View Post
    obj savepackage package="S_UN_Rock_SM_Blackcliffs02" file="UN_Rock.upk" is what I think it should be, though it says I'm missing a filename?
    It should be
    obj savepackage package="UN_Rock" file="UN_Rock.upk"

Then go back to the generic browser and select the smesh. Right click and duplicate into your map.

Very important! This will create UN_Rock.upk in the binaries folder. You must delete UN_Rock.upk in the Binaries folder once you are done. Failure to do so will cause problems later.

MSgt. Shooter Person

When you have it in your map package you should also change the name in case you get any conflicts with the original.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks Zoo & nomad!! Worked perfectly, now I can stop banging my per-poly head against the desk.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I hate to revive a dead thread, but to tell you all the truth I never figured out how to do this, and now more than ever I need to! :\

Same rock package, I entered UN_Rock" file="UN_Rock.upk in the log and pressed enter, but when I went back to the generic browser and right clicked the rock mesh I wanted I couldn't duplicate or rename it into my package.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

I don't want to revive a deceased thread, but to tell you all the truth I never figured out how to do this, and now more than ever I need to! :\

Same rock package, I entered UN_Rock" file="UN_Rock.upk in the log and pressed enter, but when I went back to the generic browser and right clicked the rock mesh I wanted I couldn't duplicate or rename it into my package.
    Last edited by Jagnot; 06-13-2008 at 01:57 PM.

Palace Guard

You don't need the quotes and make sure you type in the entire command.
    See this thread.

In your case you go to the log window in the Generic Browser and type in this entire line:

obj savepackage file=C:\TempPack.upk package=UN_Rock

Note that you can specify any valid path and a valid filename you want instead of C:\TempPack.upk. This is just a temporary file that is saved from the editor that you must later delete.
    For example I always dump my temp packages into my C drive in the Temp folder so I know where they are later to delete, eg: C:\Temp\Junk.upk.
    Last edited by DGUnreal; 06-13-2008 at 03:34 PM.
    DG - LCS - TerreSculptor blog - TerreSculptor wiki - Game Tools Developer - Indie UDK Game Developer - UDN Documentation

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Awesome, it worked! Thank you very much!

After you place the mesh in the map you can click on it's properties and choose collision->bCollideComplex. Is there something wrong with this approach?

Palace Guard

actor.Collision.bCollideComplex is supposed to override the UseSimpleBoxCollision and UseSimpleLineCollision settings for the StaticMesh instance, and collide per-poly.
    Unless you have been able to magically get that property to work, it has failed on all stock meshes that I have ever tried it on, including Patch 1.2.
    DG - LCS - TerreSculptor blog - TerreSculptor wiki - Game Tools Developer - Indie UDK Game Developer - UDN Documentation