Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Hybrid View

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default The Unfixed C++ Error Thread

I feel somewhat bad about this, as it constitutes spamming rather, but I thought it would be better to have a thread dedicated to the problem that I (and others) are experiencing that didn't have FIXED in front of it. You may consider said other thread abandoned, by me at least.

Basically, I'm at my wits' end trying to get UT3 to run more than a couple of deathmatch games without crashing to the desktop with a C++ error. Now, things have got a bit better for me - the errors used to be non-descript, just random crashes. Ultron's tweaks and tips from other users here have at least enabled me to load and even, sometimes, play a map. When I can play, the game runs smoothly with maxed-out graphics, sound, everything. I've run hardware checks on my computer (I am currently running a RAM stress test and am on my laptop), and the hardware stands up to scrutiny. Besides which, a C++ error indicates more of a software than a hardware error, surely?

I always run a clean boot for this game, as it's the only way to get it to run at all (before crashing after 5 minutes). Is the culprit here Vista? nVidia? Other games seem to run OK most of the time (had a few problems with Crysis to begin with but they've been ironed out).

Only one last thing to say I suppose - basic specs:

Core 2 Duo E6550 (overclocked to 2.9GHz...which I have tried removing.)
    2GB RAM
    320GB HDD
    GeForce 8800 GTS (640MB)
    XFi Extreme Audio
    Vista...(aargh)

MSgt. Shooter Person

Besides which, a C++ error indicates more of a software than a hardware error, surely?
    Thought so, too.
    But, wrong. In my case, and in another one, it was just the little lower than required RAM voltage. Especially on newer systems this is a regularity.
    An application may quit functioning with an absurdly misleading error message since something else has happened in the back stage, but resulted as a loss of control in the application core or its dynamically linked library.
    In Linux it is called "segmentation fault". It could be _anything_ from buggy driver or binary incompatability to hardware failure.
    In other cases it is a more direct Blue Screen and/or reboot.

My advice: start to suspect your hardware configuration.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by DrFish View Post
    Thought so, too.
    But, wrong. In my case, and in another one, it was just the little lower than required RAM voltage.
    I have an ASUS P5K. Might try raising the voltage tiny bit...but the RAM held out under a stress test. Surely that would stop with an error also if RAM voltage was to blame?
    EDIT: Just checked and my RAM was on 2.10V. Have set to 2.15V and will let you know how I get on via the power of a later edit...
    EDIT 2: C++ error. Have tried raising to 2.20V. By the way, while I was in there I noticed that the CPU voltage was set to 1.4V. High enough for an overclocked C2D? CPU stress tests don't seem to faze it. Still, I guess I'd be seeing worse effects if my CPU was underpowered.
    EDIT 3: C++ error again. Is it worth raising the RAM voltage higher still?
    EDIT 4: Raised to 2.25V. A display driver restarted during the game. Then a C++ runtime error. Think I'll lower it again.
    Last edited by Makron2n; 01-23-2008 at 03:31 PM. Reason: update

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Makron2n View Post
    I
    EDIT: Just checked and my RAM was on 2.10V. Have set to 2.15V and will let you know how I get on via the power of a later edit...
    Anything more than 2.1 could be fatal for your RAM.
    Asus P5K Pro, Intel C2Q 6600, ATI HD 4870, 6GB DDR2-800 RAM, Onboard Sound, Windows Vista SP1

MSgt. Shooter Person

Anything more than 2.1 could be fatal for your RAM.
    Fortunately I got away with it...this time.

At least I've established it ain't the RAM voltage.

(I should point out that it is now safely back at 2.1.)

I had this exact same problem running UT3 on my computer.
    After much hand wringing and everything I could think of I did a google search on the problem, and it affects not only ut3 but other programs as well.
    It seems the problem lies in microsoft .net framework.
    So I went to windows update and installed every .net framework I could think of all the way to .net framework 3.0. Viola, problem fixed.
    try this and let me know the results here.

Thought so, too.
    But, wrong. In my case, and in another one, it was just the little lower than required RAM voltage. Especially on newer systems this is a regularity.
    An application may quit functioning with an absurdly misleading error message since something else has happened in the back stage, but resulted as a loss of control in the application core or its dynamically linked library.
    In Linux it is called "segmentation fault". It could be _anything_ from buggy driver or binary incompatability to hardware failure.
    In other cases it is a more direct Blue Screen and/or reboot.

My advice: start to suspect your hardware configuration.
    C++ error is software error. But could be an hardware error? on voltage of ram? This solution is ok to the problem in question of C++ error?

If yes, how can i modify the voltage? entering in the bios setting?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by ClmUt3 View Post
    C++ error is software error. But could be an hardware error? on voltage of ram? This solution is ok to the problem in question of C++ error?

If yes, how can i modify the voltage? entering in the bios setting?
    You can indeed. Didn't make any difference to me - mine was already on 2.1V. But give it a shot.

Okay! I've fixed my problem..so far anyway. At least the game is working now.

I was having the problem where I would get the C++ error upon the splash screen.

How this was caused: Freezing/Lockups/BSOD during the game forced me to hard reboot the computer. Then when it started up again, I got these error messages.

How I fixed it: To fix the problem, I tried uninstalling and reinstalling the game. This did not work. So I re-applied the UT3 1.1 patch. BINGO it worked again.

I have not tried installing the 1.2 patch on top of this..I'm a little hesitant to do so because it works now!

My specs:

AMD Opteron 170
    Gigabyte GA-K8NXP-SLI
    2 Gigs of Ram
    Nvidia Gefore 8800GT
    Windows XP
    Nvidia Beta drivers (169.28)

Again, just to sum up:

PROBLEM: UT3 Splash screen causing C++ error

CAUSE: Hard resetting of my machine when it randomly locked up during load of either main menu or various maps

SOLUTION: I uninstalled, then reinstalled the game. I then applied the UT3 Patch 1.1 (This was what I had before the error began)

I have yet to install the 1.2 patch.

Hey,
    Bugger posted in the wrong thread soz guys.

Hi i have this very same problem. i am running

ASUS barebones with ASUS motherboard
    AMD X2 4600+
    2GB corsair
    Zotac 8800 GTS 320mb Amp edition
    Windows XP SP2

I have tried everything to get this to work i have trawled all of the stickies changing everything i can as i go along. I have tried formatting my system and installing only my sound and video drivers and UT3 to no avail.I have tried the Beta drivers, back dated drivers even swapping my DVD drive incase it was a problem while installing. I have as a last ditch attempt swapped my copy at the shop hoping it may remedy the situation by some unknown magic. I have now formatted again and re-installed everything and still nothing.
    Whats more annoying is i gave my old P.C to my best friend and it runs perfectly on that system! lmao with a single core P4 3.0ghz and a 7600GS 256mb and 2gb of Ram again on XP.
    I dont really know what else to do as i need the editor more than the game for university so any advice in regard to getting the editor to work or if anyone knows if the editor will work without the main game that would be cool.
    If anyone has had any luck in sorting this out please let me know.
    Thanks again

I've also encountered this problem, and I'm currently trying the suggestion by Myhero. I sure hope this works, otherwise I'm screwed.

update: Okay, so I updated all the .net frameworks and now I don't get the C++ error! Now my whole comp just crashes and restarts. I am starting to get angry. Oh, and before I forget here are my specs,
    Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz
    2G Ram
    Nvidia 7600 GT X2 in SLI
    XP
    update: So now it's gone back to giving me the same old message about the C++ error. I'm starting to get really pissed. any ideas?
    Last edited by Wideman; 01-26-2008 at 11:32 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'll try looking for some .NET framework updates later and will let you know how I get on. Hopefully better than Wideman...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Guys, this has nothing to do with the .NET Framework. Trust me.

UT3 executable has not been compiled against the .NET Framework.
    Asus P5K Pro, Intel C2Q 6600, ATI HD 4870, 6GB DDR2-800 RAM, Onboard Sound, Windows Vista SP1

MSgt. Shooter Person

I did have my doubts, although Myhero claimed that it worked for him.

I'm personally beginning to suspect the nVidia drivers, in spite of the fact that I have a clean install of the latest version. I've had problems with other games in the past that have only been ironed out when nVidia decided to release another dodgy driver update for Vista.

By the way, haven't installed the .NET framework quite yet...
    Last edited by Makron2n; 01-27-2008 at 04:07 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Bump. Sorry about the double post, but this is still an issue for several people, so, yah. Cough. Today I tried once again re-installing both my graphics drivers (completely) and the game (also completely - seems to leave a lot behind in Vista). I'm still gettin' those C++ errors. I also had a specific error related to msvcr80.dll, but only once (it appeared in the log). Does anyone know what function msvcr80 serves?

Oh yeah, and I'm starting to get convinced that it's my graphics drivers. God knows what's wrong with 'em, but today I got a driver malfunction in Call of Duty 4 as well. It's either them, or my card. I really hope it's not my card. Given that the situation has improved with each new driver release, though, it probably isn't. Vista just don't like that there Forceware.

Then can you explain to me why when I installed UT3 the first time it actually installed some .net framework files? Or why after updating the .net framework Ut3 works for me now, when thats the only thing I did.
    I didn't update any video drivers or replace any hardware.

Quote Originally Posted by Myhero View Post
    Then can you explain to me why when I installed UT3 the first time it actually installed some .net framework files? Or why after updating the .net framework Ut3 works for me now, when thats the only thing I did.
    I didn't update any video drivers or replace any hardware.
    My guess would be that those were updates to the C++ runtime DLLs for MSVC++ 8. There are both .NET (CLR) and non-.NET (non-CLR) versions of those if I remember correctly, and I guess it makes sense for MS to make sure they are always distributed together. Anyway, UT3 is (AFAIK) not using .NET.

MSgt. Shooter Person

My brother had similar problems with unreal engine 3 games on his laptop. Laptops simply arn't built for gaming!
    Avid supporter of RuneStorms "Ballistic Weapons" mod.
    (\_/)
    (O.o)
    (> <)o This is Bunny. Copy Bunny into your signature to help him on his way to world domination

MSgt. Shooter Person

Solution:

Net Framework and C+ Redistributes will not solve the problem, in fact they hurt the situation.

Here's what you guys should try:

1. Uninstall any Microsoft Framework software.

2. Uninstall any Microsoft C+ Redistribution software.

3. Uninstall Unreal Tournament 3

4. Reboot.

5. Make sure you have the lastest DirectX version installed, along with the lastest drivers for your hardware.

6. If you overclock your CPU, increase voltage to your memory by at least 0.05v. Runtime problems are typically caused by errors in the memory.

7. Install Unreal Tournament 3, but this time install it in a different path. Like for me: C:\Games\Unreal Tournament 3. If you are using a 64-bit OS make sure not to put it in the "Program Files (x86)" folder.

8. Apply lastest patch and bonus packs if desired.

My specs for reference:
    E-VGA NForce 780i SLI Mainboard
    Intel Core 2 Duo E8500 3.15 Ghz Stock; OC'd to 4.6 Ghz.
    8GB of PC1200 Memory GSkill
    2 NVidia Geforce BFG 8800GTX OC2 Cards
    Creative X-Fi Soundblaster Fatal1ty Soundcard
    Silverstone 1500W PSU
    Windows Server 2003 x64 (a.k.a Windows XP x64 Edition) with Service Pack 2.

I'm just getting angry and trying just about anything that someone suggests, lol. Well, if anyone gets any bright ideas let me know. I really don't want to return this game!

Man, this is not a vista only problem, I use an, xp ad I have the exact same problem as you. when you load the game can you get in on the first try? On my rig, it loads and runs fine, then I get a random crash with the C++ while I'm in-game, and after that, I can't load the game until I restart.
    Just wondering if it's the same problem, oh and here are my specs:

Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 GHz
    2 GB RAM
    2 NVIDIA Geforce 7600GT in SLI
    Drivers: 169.28
    SoundMax HD Audio

Banned

I had VC++ errors after I edited some ini files. It took just one variable to make the problem appear. I would delete every UT directory after uninstalling to make sure the config files are really gone. You might be able to delete them and they will be recreated from the base configuration files.
    What are your GPU and CPU temps?
    There is a recent C++ update from Microsoft you can get. Try uninstalling and install the newer one.
    Last edited by asdfjkl; 01-29-2008 at 01:48 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Check your hardware first

MSgt. Shooter Person

Say what? My hardware's fine. Or at least my CPU and RAM are. My graphics card - well, given that stability improves with every driver update, I'd say it's not the hardware. Besides which, short of ripping it out, trying a different one and invalidating my warranty (yes I have a pre-build...from Chillblast), there's not a lot I can do. It does run other games...Temps are fine by the way, for example the CPU only reaches 48 degrees in stress tests. There are some huge-ass fans in there.

Wideman, that pretty much sums up my problem. First map will load, and sometimes I can even complete a game. I completed the first level of the campaign mode yesterday. After that it will either crash when loading a level, or crash during play.

asdfjkl, I do delete every UT3 directory when I re-install. It doesn't seem to make any difference for me, unfortunately.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Bump. Sorry.

I'm still having the same trouble. I'm thinking about re-installing Windows though, since Windows Installer has packed up for no reason. A recent CCleaner scan removed CoD4's occasional texture glitch (somehow), but UT3 remains stubborn.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: L3VI4TH4N

I wanted to blame the game too. But after adding a second 300w PSU to power the dual 7800GTXs all the problems went away. Yeah it's ugly but UT3 runs great now. Sure the hardware might be fine but is there enough power?

Over on the ASUS forums someone said a 2% power drop is ok and 5% is a crashed machine. Not with UT3, a 2% drop will crash the game.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Texture settings are at 4. I've tried lower, but it doesn't make any difference. Apart from making the game look ugly.

I have a Thermaltake TR2-500 500W PSU. Enough? There's an 8800 GTS, an X-Fi, and two fans in there, along with the ol' Core 2 Duo E6550 overclocked to 2.9GHz (I've tried removing the OC, by the way). It's a Chillblast Fusion Colossus, basically, with an NZXT case upgrade and an X-Fi added. (I didn't ask for those, but the courier company got my PC and another guy's mixed up...long story.) To repeat the old mantra - "I can run Crysis y'know" - and so far only driver updates seem to have made any different to my PC's stability. That's Vista for ya.

By the way, I do NOT blame the game. I'm just not sure that it's my new-ish PC's hardware that's at fault here. Power connections are solid, too.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Bump. Sorry. A friend of mine suggested recently that 500W wasn't enough for my PC. Do people here agree? And if so, should I be having words with the company that pre-built it? (Specs above.) I might try getting hold of a more powerful PSU at the weekend.

MSgt. Shooter Person

A decent 500W PSU is way enough for any single card (BESIDES 3870 x2).

It can power my 2900XT (Uses about same power as 2 X1950XTs) and an overclocked Dual-core 3800+ (25% OC, little but it counts)

It's all about getting the right PSU. Aka, one with GOOD +12V rails. For a single card, you better have 30A on 1 +12V rail, or 35A +12V combined. The other stuff don't really matter.

For 2 graphics cards, 45A-55/60A is a very safe area. 50A should be enough in most cases.

As for the OP, *your* specific 500W sucks. It has 2 12V+ rails, one at 14A and another at 15A, but slyly, Thermaltake does not mention maximum load for +12V. Combined, the amps will be LESS than 29A. And the amps are probably peak numbers.

Comparing your system to mine, I have a same watt-rated PSU (Cooler Master iGreen Power 500W) that can deliver a constant 33 Amps from +12V, and has dynamic load balancing to cater to heavier draws. It has 3 rails, but the design itself is top-notch.

Let's compare: 29A Peak vs 33A Constant!
    From this link:
    http://www.atomicmpc.com.au/forums.asp?s=2&c=7&t=9354
    We know that your 640MB uses 50W less than my XT, so that ammounts to about 4A more power draw on my PSU. So now it's 29A Peak vs 29A Constant.

That's pretty much a notable difference, and according to my own experience the difference should be 3-5W, aka 36W-60W supplied.

Comparing the other stuff, you have the same ammount of RAM, a bigger harddisk (though I have 2), a software X-Fi (same as my software Audigy) so power might be an issue.

My wager is that it's not. (Even though I suggest you replace it, Thermaltake's TR2 is highly infamous for supplying not enough power)

I put my blame on the software X-Fi. It's not a true X-Fi soundcard, all emulated in software. Disable OpenAL, and use your onboard audio. Try that first

MSgt. Shooter Person

i had this error, and it got fixed when i re-applied the 1.1 update

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Devil_Spawn View Post
    i had this error, and it got fixed when i re-applied the 1.1 update
    Do you mean after re-installing the game, or on top of a 1.1 update already installed? I haven't done the latter.

EDIT: Tried it. Didn't work. However, disabling the Windows Security Centre and Defender services, as well as removing Windows Defender from the statup entries (which I have been doing), gave me a smoother game. For the one game that it lasted before having a C++ error. Still, one game - that's better than normal. If Windows Defender is completely on, the game won't play one game. Graargh!
    Last edited by Makron2n; 02-03-2008 at 01:09 PM.

What level of detail is the textures set to run at?

im bumping this because it was a good read.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by acidicvision View Post
    im bumping this because it was a good read.
    My PSU is arriving on Wednesday. I'll post here after I've found out whether or not it makes any difference.

Default Same Problem

I just got a new pc custom built for me:
    Asus Maximus formula se
    E6550
    2gb corsair dominator 1066 mhz
    Asus 3850 512mb
    550w antec power supply

I get the same problem after I install Oblivion. Unreal occasionally crashes but I figured it was driver problems with the 3850. But if I install oblivion, all my other games crash to windows or reset the computer.

On a couple of these crashes to windows, I have gotten a C++ error. Then if I go to play unreal it either crashes once a map goes to load up, or it crashes right after I start the program.

So I did a restore to a more stable time and Unreal works. Guess no Oblivion for me.

MSgt. Shooter Person

New power supply didn't work. But at least I have a shiny new PSU! Woo. Next up: my PC builders are sending a replacement graphics card. Watch this space. Or not.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Keep your face up m8. We're with you.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cheers DrFish. Spangly new 8800 GT (512MB) arrived today to replace my GTS 640. Didn't make one iota of difference to UT3 - haven't tried much else yet. C++ errors will haunt my nightmares tonight! Again.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Check your RAM, dude. Check the timings, check voltages, check if dust has settled on components. Be paranoid about everything hardware related.

My problem was undervoltaged RAM..

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast