MSgt. Shooter Person

Default How to set up a Linux Dedicated Server

I just spent quite a lot of time searching for every little piece of information I needed to get my Linux Server running ut3-bin. Here are some quick and dirty instructions for how to get your Linux Dedicated Server running.

(My Linux skills probably differ from yours so sorry if I gloss over some things. I'm not going to teach you how to use Linux, just run UT3 server. Also this is my first post so be kind.)

Note: If you rent a server you can skip steps 1-2

Step 1:

Get and install Linux. You will need to make sure you open your firewall to ports UDP 6500, UDP 7777, and UDP 13000
    Note: You must turn off SELINUX or create a rule to allow ut3 to run or you will get a segfault when you try to run ut3-bin! If you edit /etc/sysconfig/selinux and change SELINUX=permissive that will fix the problem on reboot.
    Note: Many people have had host name issues causing segfault errors and resulting in servers not showing up on gamespy. Edit your /etc/hosts file (as root) and change your localhost entry to 127.0.0.1 and not 0.0.0.0 (all interfaces) and then specifically add a hosts entry for your server. Here is my example:

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost
    129.11.231.14 myhostname myhostname.mydomain.com
    Step 2:
    Create a user account for your server to run under. You can just type "useradd unreal" and then "passwd unreal" to set a password.

Step 3:
    Obtain the server binary and copy it to the unreal users home directory (probably /home/unreal/). Log in as the unreal server user and run the installer using "./UT3-linux-server-datehere.bin" and wait for the script to finish.
    NOTE: Chances are you will need to update your path to include the unreal binaries. There are two ways to do this. For our purposes I will suggest that you edit /etc/ld.so.conf and add the line "/home/unreal/ut3-dedicated/Binaries" as the user root.

Update to Step 3:
    Here is where you would run the patch for updating to version 1.x just use the ./unreal-server1.x.bin (or whatever the name is). If you are updating after the fact you don't need to backup your config files, it does not seem to overwrite them. Make sure you are running this as the user unreal, which means the update binary needs to be owned by the user unreal (or whatever name you used) and permissions probably set to 770.

Step 4:
    Assuming we didn't mess any of the other settings up the basic server should run great now. Lets do some basic testing and create a default config file. Log in as the user unreal and navigate to your server folder (cd ~/ut3-dedicated/Binaries) and run "./ut3"
    The server should start without getting a segfault and without returning you to a command line.
    SUCCESS! A basic un-configured server is now running. Lets kill that by pressing ctrl+C

Step 5:

Now that we verified our basic server starts and runs lets get fancy and customize it. There are numerous web pages for creating command line arguments for the server. I'm just putting mine in here as an example. You can modify this to your needs. This command only runs a WAR (UTGameContent.UTOnslaughtGame?GameMode=2) game type so if you want to run DM or CTF you need to change it.

Create a file in your ~/ut3-dedicated/Binaries/ folder called startserver.sh and populate it with:
    sh ut3 Server WAR-Serenity?Game=UTGameContent.UTOnslaughtGame_Conten t?GameMode=2?Numplay=8?MaxPlayers=32?NumPublicConn ections=24?NumPrivateConnections=0?MinNetPlayers=1 ?TimeLimit=30?GoalScore=3?BotSkill=4?bIsDedicated= true?bUsesStats=true?ForceRespawn=0?bShouldAdverti se=true?PureServer=1?bIsLanMatch=false?bAllowJoinI nProgress=true?AdminName=admin?AdminPassword=ADMIN PASS -Login=GAMESPYLOGIN -Password=GAMESPYPASSWORD -Log=myserver.log -multihome=129.11.231.14 -unattended
    NOTE: Recent evidence (please give me feedback on this) suggests that adding -multihome=ipaddress to your command line will solve the "lag" (stability, warping, lag) issue many Linux dedicated servers are suffering from.

Make sure the command is all on one line. Save that file and make it executable using chmod 770 startserver.sh.
    Calm down, you are not done yet. We need to set this thing up as a service so it will run when you are not logged into the server and configure game options outside the command line arguments we just passed it in the startserver.sh script.

Step 5.1 (Perhaps I should have done this before step 5 but oh well.)
    We need to configure settings for the server like game size, MOTD, etc... Because of the way I had you set up the command line (without the -nohomedir argument) you need to edit your UTGame.ini located in "cd .Unreal\ Tournament\ 3/UTGame/Config/" Yes for those of you paying attention it's a hidden folder in linux "/home/unreal/.Unreal Tournament 3/Config/UTGame.ini
    Change settings in this file only if you know what they do. Message of the day, max users, etc... Don't go changing stuff you don't know about.

Note: For those of you whining about gamespy not showing your server name correctly or game type correctly, you probably need to edit the file I talk about in the step above.

Step 6:
    Running the ut3 server binary as a service should be our final goal here. I have written this service script for Red Hat Linux, it should also work under Centos and Fedora. If you are running something else you will need to find the correct service script for your distribution. Please note that you can simply take the startserver.sh from step 5 and start your server manually using "sh startserver.sh &" which will run the script in the background (won't stop when you exit the ssh session).

For this step you will need to be root. As root cd to /etc/init.d and then copy an existing script like "cp sshd ut3" this will simplify the permissions issue with the file. Edit that new file ut3 and populate it with something like this:
    #!/bin/bash
    #
    # Run-level Startup script for ut3-bin
    #
    # chkconfig: 345 91 19
    # description: Starts and stops unreal dedicated server binary

ut3_home="/home/unreal/ut3-dedicated/Binaries/"
    ut3_ownr="unreal"

# if the executables do not exist -- display error

if [ ! -f $ut3_home/startserver.sh -o ! -d $ut3_home ]
    then
    echo "Unreal 3 Server: cannot start"
    exit 1
    fi

# depending on parameter -- startup, shutdown, restart
    # of the instance and listener or usage display

case "$1" in
    start)
    # UT3 basic start script or command can be called here. For my purposes I placed the entire command line a shell script called startserver.sh
    echo -n "Starting UT3 Server: "
    su - $ut3_ownr -c "cd $ut3_home && ./startserver.sh &"
    touch /var/lock/subsys/unreal
    echo "OK"
    ;;
    stop)
    # UT3 kill-shutdown
    echo -n "Shutdown UT3 Server: "
    su - $ut3_ownr -c "killall ut3-bin"
    rm -f /var/lock/subsys/unreal
    echo "OK"
    ;;
    reload|restart)
    $0 stop
    $0 start
    ;;
    *)
    echo "Usage: $0 start|stop|restart|reload"
    exit 1
    esac
    exit 0
    Ok be sharp kids. You need to check the paths in this script and match them to your server. If you are renting a server this is not an option for you. Just run your startserver.sh script like this "./startserver.sh &" which makes the binary run in the background
    Now save that file and exit. Run the command "chkconfig ut3 on" to start the server automatically when your Linux box starts up
    Test your Script by running "service ut3 start" and stop it with "service ut3 stop" If you need to restart it "service ut3 restart"

WOW, ok well I hope that helps. Like I said, I probably glossed over things and I will edit this upon constructive comment. Below are the highlights for those of you getting hung and having segfaults.

1. Selinux off
    2. Firewall working? Configured for the right ports?
    3. Run the scripts as the user who installed them.
    4. Is your path updated in /etc/ld.so.conf?
    5. What command are you using to run the server binary? Check it, does it error if you just run ./ut3?
    6. Is your server not showing up correctly check ~/.Unreal Tournament 3/Config/UTGame.ini
    7. Have you stopped and had some coffee? Coffee is a great stimulant and helps most of us think better.

Enjoy !
    Last edited by kzoink; 02-26-2008 at 02:05 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I have followed your guide from steps 5 to 6, seem to have a working service now, thanks for that . however, as I had to change a few settings (since my install works differently and all that) I used the following line instead to actually start the shell script

sh "$ut3_home/startserver.sh" &

but UT3-bin still reports out everything to the CLI, wondering if perhaps you might know of a cure for that ^^;;.

well anyway thanks for what you put, certainly setting this up as a service does ease things up greatly I must say, and even if get those reports out, only really see em every 20 minutes so it's no biggy. Thanks for the guide, .
    Last edited by r3sistance; 01-21-2008 at 04:34 PM.
    new prototype map: vCTF-FactoryWar

Intel Extreme Quad Core Processor (QX6700)
    1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer x4 (actually x3 ~firmware issues...)
    2X BFG 640MB 8800GTS @ 550MHz in SLI

Boomshot

Great post, it should be stickied.

If you get a chance, maybe you could place this on the unreal admin wiki as well?

http://wiki.unrealadmin.org/Main_Page
    I usually play as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, or ________
    My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.2Ghz and GTX780 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz

Boomshot

Default Remote server control from any computer, even Windows

There is an alternate method which may appeal to Windows users who would like to run their own server, but may not like what they see in step 6 above.

As an alternative to step 6, you can run the server via an ssh login from another computer, any other computer. That is how I run mine. Windows users would need to install Putty. Putty is a widely used ssh terminal emulator. You do not need peripherals like keyboard, mouse, or a monitor for your server. Yes, you can administer your Linux UT3 dedicated server from your Windows computer.

If like myself, you want to be able to run your choice of WAR, CTF, DM, or VCTF server, whenever you want or at a moments notice. This is one way to do it. You can have several command lines available for different configurations. Produce the ones you want using step 5a above and simply run the one you want when you want. This is also good for hands on types who like to play with settings.

Also, if you want to run your server as a regular user instead of root, use ]# chmod 775 server-starter.sh
    Last edited by oldkawman1; 01-21-2008 at 10:47 PM.
    I usually play as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, or ________

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thing is tho, without step 6, The moment you close the SSH Session your Server will close down UT3-Bin, Nohup can work and I hear things about screen tho not got much knowledge on that, setting UT3 up as a service is very easy to manage and hopefully a Service UT3 Status script/method can be created that could turn around and tell you how well all UT3-Bin related processes are fairing.

Also with this method you can set it up so that if the server is rebooted that UT3-bin automatically restarted and also you can apply it so that it loads up multiple process instances of UT3-Bin... so over all I think this method is probably going to be the best all-round method for managing UT3 Server on Linux. However, I think some Distros this method may not work for if they do not yet support service, and I think Ubuntu is one that does not...

MSgt. Shooter Person

You are correct that for most folks who are not using the service script I wrote you will have to run "sh startupscriptname.sh &" or ./startupscriptname.sh & to run it as a background process so it won't close when you exit your shell. I actually use that syntax in the service script on step 6 but it's a good point I will add a note about it in my edits.
    Last edited by kzoink; 01-22-2008 at 06:24 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

FYI Some of you are having "Lag" issues with the Linux Dedicated Server. Specifically random warping, lag, network packet loss. Perhaps this error in console when the lag occurs:

ScriptLog: # - Attempting to sync up the weapon

Over at icculus.org on the mailing lists some of us are trying to figure out who has a working config and who does not and compare them to find out where the problem lies. Don't assume you are having actual "network" based lag because there is a known issue.

If you have a working configuration or have solved this issue PLEASE post your resolution here.

MSgt. Shooter Person

How long does it take to occur, I notice no such problems myself but my server is usually empty as I keep taking it down and putting it up whilst I am still configuring a few things~. Since I can usually run it a few hours with no problem, but then not many people...

MSgt. Shooter Person

Ah, good question. I get it when I have about 20 ppl connected. Seems to "lag" for about 5 minutes and then goes away but comes back more frequently in subsequent games. If you restart often then it stays away, but who can reboot a public server "often"?

While lagging I have these unsual logs :

ScriptLog: Received a map update for a none existant MapID (2)

SeamlessTravel: >> GameInfo::HandleSeamlessTravelPlayer: UTPlayerController_220

ScriptLog: # - Attempting to sync up the weapon

You may be right, something to do with this. Too bad that EPIC is not looking at such thread :| Being able to have great server will ensure a great future for the game.

If you have test binaries, I can put it on my server, it's always full with players, I've lag every hour ...after restart ...

MSgt. Shooter Person

I will post an updated binary as soon as one is available. The latest test bin is this one. (it has the lag problem) but fixes some other bugs present in the first release.

http://treefort.icculus.org/ut3/ut3-bin-test.tar.bz2

Check the sub folder of that link for updated files as they come out.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Linux Lag issues resolved (pending):

I've been searching everywhere for a fix to the random lag issues with the linux dedicated server. I think I found a solution but I only had about 3 games last night to test it out so I need help. PLEASE if you run a dedicated server and you have having this issue do the following and the POST TO THE FORUMS! We need feedback because this is a big problem!

Change your command line to include: -multihome=111.222.333.444 (change the IP to the IP of your server)

I added mine like this "-Log=myserver.log -multihome=111.222.333.444 -unattended" in between log and unattended.

Please try this out and see what happens.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by r3sistance View Post
    How long does it take to occur, I notice no such problems myself but my server is usually empty as I keep taking it down and putting it up whilst I am still configuring a few things~. Since I can usually run it a few hours with no problem, but then not many people...
    I get this when things get busy and at least 4 net players in warefare only that I have seen it so fat. Twice in Serenity while I am at the enemy core blasting away. The gun stops firing and I am stuck and then it fires and then lags again. I get killed, respawn, lag is back, then goes away as a player exits. Lots of the same errors as in other posts. I also get persistant level messages, like shields and turrents on the Leviathan. It's exploded, but one of the turrent shields stays up, moves, etc. Lots of UDP errors and some sending home messages in the logs as well. I will go through my logs and collect samples of these.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by oldkawman1 View Post
    I get this when things get busy and at least 4 net players in warefare only that I have seen it so fat. Twice in Serenity while I am at the enemy core blasting away. The gun stops firing and I am stuck and then it fires and then lags again. I get killed, respawn, lag is back, then goes away as a player exits. Lots of the same errors as in other posts. I also get persistant level messages, like shields and turrents on the Leviathan. It's exploded, but one of the turrent shields stays up, moves, etc. Lots of UDP errors and some sending home messages in the logs as well. I will go through my logs and collect samples of these.
    Just to clarify, you have added the -multihome= argument to your command line? Are you still getting this?

MSgt. Shooter Person

My server is jumpy and jerky when I put on a chucky class file to BattleRPG, else wise I don't experience anything like this, might be related, maybe not... I always use multihome since my server has two IPs (85.234.131.137) but one is currently down/not used (85.234.131.138) for the time being. I have plans to bring it up in the future once I have sorted out pure-ftp and when I started on a project I hope to start after I have done some UT3 maps and mods.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by kzoink View Post
    Linux Lag issues resolved (pending):

I've been searching everywhere for a fix to the random lag issues with the linux dedicated server. I think I found a solution but I only had about 3 games last night to test it out so I need help. PLEASE if you run a dedicated server and you have having this issue do the following and the POST TO THE FORUMS! We need feedback because this is a big problem!

Change your command line to include: -multihome=111.222.333.444 (change the IP to the IP of your server)

I added mine like this "-Log=myserver.log -multihome=111.222.333.444 -unattended" in between log and unattended.

Please try this out and see what happens.
    setting up a temp test vCTF server tonight and will try this..

MSgt. Shooter Person

I think we have determined though that this -multihome= "fix" only resolves some behavior, but some other less prevalent issues still pop up. I know it does not hurt to set it, and it solved some big problems for me, but just FYI, there are still issues.

Boomshot

Just to clarify, you have added the -multihome= argument to your command line? Are you still getting this?
    Have not seen the lag or freezing, but not too much playing has happened, lots of everything else though. I posted more info in the other Laggy thread.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cool I'll check it out.

Banned

I think we have determined though that this -multihome= "fix" only resolves some behavior, but some other less prevalent issues still pop up. I know it does not hurt to set it, and it solved some big problems for me, but just FYI, there are still issues.
    I had it in there, but I haven't run a UT based server in years and seem to be having issues. Started with a 30 tick rate since this is a test deal on a 2.4 GHz Celeron with 1 GB of RAM. 12 spots, 2 specs. No load on the box except my instance in game.

The server seemed to jump around slightly, so figured I would up the tick rate. ALT+TAB to SSH, modify utengine with 60 tick rate, restart server, alt+tab back in game, and my connection does all manner of crazy crap. So I shut down UT, restart and all seemed ok. So I can't say crap right now about the -multihome switch.

I did have the game knock me out, and said connection to hst timed out. Went to server and shut it down. looked through log and saw nothing poking out. I think I just had a connection error on my DSL side back to the interwebz.

Also, I created the GameSpy alt ID and Pass in game, put it on in startup script as you mentioned in your original post, but still never saw server in the vCTF server list. But I just now remembered why and will check later to see if that's the case. I think I filtered all empty servers. Your original post was very help, so thank you very much!

MSgt. Shooter Person

A couple thoughts:
    The tick rate thing is not "recommended config" it's barely urban legend from a performance standpoint (someone is going to flame me for that). A tick rate of 60 is really high, so if you can glean any improvement from changing it I would suggest small changes at first. In fact if you are having stability issues and lag issues leave that tick rate at the defaults for all your testing. The default rate isn't going to cause "lag".

Ok, so from what you are describing it sounds like you have a networking issue and not a game engine issue.

Also, a 2.4ghz celeron isn't a lot of horsepower. I'm running a 3.2ghz xeon server core with 2gb ram and server grade motherboard. Even with a very heavily optimized build of RedHat I'm using 60-70% peak cpu for a 16-24 player game.

Watch your ping rate in game and your cpu out of game using the top command in console.

Banned

A couple thoughts:
    The tick rate thing is not "recommended config" it's barely urban legend from a performance standpoint (someone is going to flame me for that). A tick rate of 60 is really high, so if you can glean any improvement from changing it I would suggest small changes at first. In fact if you are having stability issues and lag issues leave that tick rate at the defaults for all your testing. The default rate isn't going to cause "lag".

Ok, so from what you are describing it sounds like you have a networking issue and not a game engine issue.

Also, a 2.4ghz celeron isn't a lot of horsepower. I'm running a 3.2ghz xeon server core with 2gb ram and server grade motherboard. Even with a very heavily optimized build of RedHat I'm using 60-70% peak cpu for a 16-24 player game.

Watch your ping rate in game and your cpu out of game using the top command in console.
    it's my ping.. did a trace route.. 14 damn hops to the box.. a dude much farther away had a ~60 some odd ping and said it ran great for him. so it's me, and that blows.

i noticed the ut3-bin process idles ~35% CPU usage when empty, and it does get on up there with a load. this was with 12 man server, about 8 head on the box. I thought it was the server freaking, but it was my damn connection. lol..

i will reduce the tick rate back to 30 and have folks test it. one of the people in the server said i was lagging so bad he couldn't shot me.. but he killed me fairly often, and i could hit the ground looking at it. :/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Sweet, sounds like I was partially correct. That never happens!

Yeah, just for reference 3.2ghz xeon idle is 5-6% for me and 11% with 1 player and 7 bots in game.

Banned

Sweet, sounds like I was partially correct. That never happens!

Yeah, just for reference 3.2ghz xeon idle is 5-6% for me and 11% with 1 player and 7 bots in game.
    Yeah, I think I could pull off a 10 man pure server, and that's about it.. Otherwise, I am creating an instant bottle neck on the CPU and RAM..

I have setted up a server. So far so good:

Code:
    Log: Game class is 'UTOnslaughtGame_Content'
    Init: Sockets: Socket queue 262142 / 262142
    Log: NetMode is now 1
    Log: Primary PhysX scene will be in software.
    Log: Creating Primary PhysX Scene.
    Log: Novodex Terrain Creation (Terrain_1): 47.117000 ms
    Log: Bringing World WAR-Serenity.TheWorld up for play (30) at 2008.02.26-13.54.57
    ScriptLog: MinNetPlayers:  1
    ScriptLog: -- MAPVOTE is ENABLED!!!!!
    ScriptLog: Webserver is not enabled.  Set bEnabled to True in Advanced Options.
    ScriptLog: Destroying WebServer
    ScriptLog: Activating link setup Default
    Log: Bringing up level for play took: 1.130020
    Log: ########### Finished loading level: 4.056745 seconds
    Init: Game engine initialized
    Log: Initializing Game Engine Completed
    NetComeGo: Open TheWorld  84.27.242.54:64376
    Log: FSTUNClient resolved stunserver.org (192.245.12.229)
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_0 84.27.242.54:64376
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_1 84.27.242.54:64376
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_2 84.27.242.54:64376
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_3 84.27.242.54:64376
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_4 84.27.242.54:64376
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_5 84.27.242.54:64376
    NetComeGo: Close TcpipConnection_6 84.27.242.54:64376
    I can't see the server in HLSW, and not in other online programs. Do you guys know what the problem could be?

I forwared the 7777, 6500, 13000 on the firewall at my linux server. (UDP)

Banned

nevermind me.. i r we todd did..

very nice tutorial, works like a charm

MSgt. Shooter Person

kzoink, Just wanted to say w00p for hooking us up with this great setup guide, worked like a charm and the service script was icing on the cake!

Hey followed your guide but I'm getting an "Illegal Instruction" whenever I try to start ./ut3-bin or the startserver.sh.

I have SELinux disabled long time ago, any idea.

Thanks

If I try to install the Server I get an error:

NOTICE: BUG: crash at startup
    [hit enter]

any Idea?

Hi, I was wondering if someone could help me install UT3 server.

I have been following this guide and done step 3 and 4 but my server is not starting, nothing at all happens just returning me to a command line when i try to start it.(step 4 in guide)

http://games.on.net/file/19854/Unrea...3_Linux_Server
    thats the file I have been using. And I'm using Ubuntu 8.10 desktop.

What am I doing wrong?
    Grateful for any help.
    Last edited by Kroie; 02-20-2009 at 10:44 AM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Where do i add custom maps?

i have no idea :s

Where is the Titian pack + 2.0 patch for Linux?

Ok, so I was able to install the .bin file but when I got to /home/:user:/ut3-dedicated/Binaries/ ut3-bin will not load, it goes back to a command prompt. I do not have SELinux installed either.

EDIT: NVM, didn't get the full game downloaded... only got a patch from filefront that said it was the server... not the patch. Damn you filefront.
    Last edited by dublea; 05-06-2009 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Filefront.com is full of noob uploaders... ROFL

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by Nuppi View Post
    Where do i add custom maps?

i have no idea :s
    Edit the UTMaplist.ini file.

I have a warfare server. Here is the section I edited on mine.

Code:
    [WARMapList UTMapList]
    LastActiveMapIndex=1
    AutoLoadPrefixes=
    MapReplayLimit=0
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Confrontation",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-ColdHarbor",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="2"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="35")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Downtown",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="1"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="2")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-SinkHole",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="1"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="6")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-TORLAN_WINT3R",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="4"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="33")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Dusk?LinkSetup=Alt",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Islander",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Avalanche",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Bittersands",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="3"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="32")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-MarketDistrict",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="1"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="13")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-OnyxCoast",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="1"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="14")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Powersurge",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Serenity",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-FloodGate",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Torlan",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-TORLAN_WINT3R",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-UGL-CrossFire",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="4"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="34")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-UGL-DryIce-Beta3",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-TankCrossing",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Valley",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-XcavatedOE",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="1"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="25")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-ZeroImpact",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-BeachFront",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-ALIEN_SANDS_UGL_V3a",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-ArchCliffsOE",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Hostile",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-CarnageCanyon",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-CavernOE",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-CBP3-Meditation",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-ChainsIsle_Revisited",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="3"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="27")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Flare",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="2"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="22")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-SnakeBiteSE",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Spambox",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="1"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="15")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Synapse",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Terra-Sirenum_MSU",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-TOO_DARK_PARK",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-InfectionForest_V3",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-IridiRC2a",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-LakeSide",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Marooned",ExtraData=)
    Maps=(Map="WAR-Primeval_SE",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="2"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="18")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-SentinelsOE",ExtraData=((Key="PlayCount",Value="1"),(Key="LastPlayIdx",Value="17")))
    Maps=(Map="WAR-RivalenOE",ExtraData=)
    Do not edit any other file. Extra data is written by the game itself. Your manual entries must all be in this format

Maps=(Map="MAP-Name",ExtraData=)

Thanks for the thread, I was able to get UT dedicated server up and running on Fedora without too much of an issue. The initial thread does have some spaces in the startserver.sh file that gets created, but got everything going by making some corrections to the way I'm trying to set it up.

We're just trying to run a LAN only server, everything is on the same switch behind our external facing firewall. I was unable the see the server in the LAN browser in-game until I change bIsLanMatch=true. We are now able to see the server. Twice in fact. I'm able to see the time limit, and goal score, but I am unable to see the ServerIP. I am also unable to join it.

I've set up the ports in the Fedora firewall. I've also disabled the firewall. SELinux is disabled. I've read on the forum that people are able to connect using the console. How do I pull up the console? I've tried ~, which is not working. Once the console is up, what is the command to connect via IP? I've read through the wiki, and a lot of the vars used in startserver.sh are not even listed there. Is there more complete documentation somewhere for running dedicated server as well as rcon?

Also, I'm running Fedora on a VMWare ESX server with plenty of power, but my IP addressing is DHCP currently. I'm going to switch to a static address to see if it helps at all. Also updated to 2.1 on both the dedicated server and client.
    Last edited by Xaneth; 06-12-2009 at 04:30 PM.

As a note, I tried hosting my own server on my Vista box and everyone sees my machine the same way, listed twice and cannot join, failed connection. We're all running the same version 2.1 (3805).

OK, got everything running on 2.1 with Titan. Have to connect over rcon, however. Used to using ~ for rcon, but apparently it's F10. Unable to join through the LAN browser, and this is from version 1.x through 2.1.

Interbert

Please help!!!!

I got the same problem after step 3, the server crashes. every time i try to start i get de mesage that the bin file is not for this OS.

I'am Using CentOS 5.3 64bit on a Intel E4600 whit 4GB memory a HDD of 80Gb and A ATI X800 256mb. I'am using version ut3-linux-server-12172009.bin and update UT3-linux-server-04292009.bin.

Hi there. It looks like nobody has replied to this thread in quite some time, but I suppose I'll ask my question here anyway...

Regarding this download link: http://www.fileplanet.com/183214/180...icated-Server-

--Is that download meant to be the entire dedicated server (including all patches) or only the latest round of patch files?

The reason I ask is because, I was working though the kzoink's tutorial and encountered some oddities that seemed to indicate I was perhaps missing something... For example, the launcher executable is named differently and there were quite a few ini files that just simply weren't in the directory tree after extraction.

If this download is indeed the full server, does anyone know a good tutorial or walkthrough to get it up and running? If it's not, feel free to educate my noob-butt.

Thanks in advance.