MSgt. Shooter Person

Default A few server q's

ok I am gunna start off with a few simplier q's and move on to a few harder ones so hopefully I can atleast get some answers ^^;;...

1. how do get server names like somerandomhost.co.uk server #1(custom maps)? Since that can not alone fit into a gamespy id... since "doomserver" just isn't enough for me =P.

2. is there a list/source for free vCTF maps, or is it ok to just download any vCTF maps from the full releases forum for my server? (as I want more then just 6 basic maps and my own vCTF map I am working on will be at least a month off...)

3. my server is a Linux server, I use a "nohup UT3path UT3 Options &" method for running my server, it does run and does not stop when I end the session, but I am also using the UT3-bin test binary to fix the stability issues. However the process drops from the "jobs" list when I switch sessions (even tho the server is still clearly running, "open 85.234.131.137"). Wondering if anyone else had encountered anything like this, know of a solution? it could possibly be Linux going crazy I suppose tho.

4. Again related to the UT3-bin test binary, previous to this my server had no problem appearing in the browser list, heck it'd still appear when it went on it's mass disconnect sprees, but now I have switched, it no longer appears in the browser menu, wondering if anyone else had encountered this one too...
    Last edited by r3sistance; 01-19-2008 at 02:12 PM.
    new prototype map: vCTF-FactoryWar

Intel Extreme Quad Core Processor (QX6700)
    1GB Crucial Ballistix Tracer x4 (actually x3 ~firmware issues...)
    2X BFG 640MB 8800GTS @ 550MHz in SLI

Iron Guard

I'll answer 1 and 2.

1) Your server name doesn't have to be your gamespy id. In the UTGame.ini file, under the [Engine.GameReplicationInfo] section, edit the ServerName= entry to your desired name.
    2) Download maps from full releases and install them according to the instructions provided.
    Slaughter's Place Forums | Game Server: Quad-Core Xeon co-located in St. Louis, MO USA
    BattleFreeztagArena/BattleTeamArena: 64.37.73.205

MSgt. Shooter Person

ah thanks, will apply that change tomorrow, I just want more then the default... boring maps, ok Necropolis is good, but Suspense and Corruption.......

Quote Originally Posted by r3sistance View Post
    3. my server is a Linux server, I use a "nohup UT3path UT3 Options &" method for running my server, it does run and does not stop when I end the session, but I am also using the UT3-bin test binary to fix the stability issues. However the process drops from the "jobs" list when I switch sessions (even tho the server is still clearly running, "open 85.234.131.137"). Wondering if anyone else had encountered anything like this, know of a solution? it could possibly be Linux going crazy I suppose tho.
    If I remember correctly jobs only list processes which are still connected to the TTY, nohups main point is detaching the TTY to stop SIGHUP and others from being delivered.
    I suggest using screen to manage server processes as it is much better suited to session switching.

Quote Originally Posted by r3sistance View Post
    4. Again related to the UT3-bin test binary, previous to this my server had no problem appearing in the browser list, heck it'd still appear when it went on it's mass disconnect sprees, but now I have switched, it no longer appears in the browser menu, wondering if anyone else had encountered this one too...
    Do a netstat -nltup | grep ut3 to list the ports bound by UT3, check that the IP bound to is either 0.0.0.0 or the IP you specified with -multihome if you're using that.
    Some distros have started including a hosts file entry mapping the machine hostname to 127.0.1.1 and for some reason the GameSpy query code resolves the hostname and binds to the address found. To work around this bug, change the hosts file to map your machines real IP to your hostname or simply comment the entry out.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thankes NakedApe, I will look into screen, my linux knowledge is not very much but growing hee, thanks for the advice. I can't see Port 13000 listed at all and it's bound itself to 6501 it seems too (which i know without even checking, is blocked)... wondering if I have multiple instances running at the second... but I sort it out when I get home and have had some sleep there after... at work at the second so can't run UT3 to ensure no one is actually on my server, as unlikely as that might be at the second XD. And nearing 100 days on uptime it probably wants a good old reboot >.>...
    Last edited by r3sistance; 01-20-2008 at 01:50 AM.

Boomshot

OK, your #3, not real sure what your doing, but, the distro you use makes a diff. You do not need to use X at all with the server. If you start your server in a terminal in X and Kill X, so does your session. If your in X, then, ctrl alt F2(or F3, F4, etc) to get to init3 login. Login to init3 terminal. Run your server init3, less overhead, etc. You can always run X seperately for ease and speed of things, but, keeping the UT3 server in an init 3 level means it will not be effected by startx or killing X. Disclaimer, I only know RedHat and Fedora distros, nothing else, it works great, so no reason.
    I usually play as [T5K]Bobba_Novis, {T5K}Bobba_Novi, Gi_96, Ph@t-Ass-Fr3d, infected_brains, or ________
    My Rig- ASUS Z68, core I7 2600K @4.2Ghz and GTX780 as seen on my VG248 @144Hz

MSgt. Shooter Person

It's CentOS and I installed it without x. X is a waste on a server, it just heightens load for no real purpose, the majority of Linux servers you will find will be CLI only, on top of this I am using SSH to connect to my server as it's at a remote location~.

Number 3 can be ignored for now anyway, I figured since UT3-bin is allways going to be the heaviest process... it's going to appear at the top of top... so I can get it's pid easily and just send it a kill pid to get it to terminate, I know it's not perfect, but it's something I know how to do right now ^^;;.
    Last edited by r3sistance; 01-20-2008 at 12:58 PM.