Service (PC) Weapon Texture Pack (for modders making custom weapon skins)

Weapon Texture Pack

What is this?

A collection of the diffuse, normal map and specular textures for each weapon in UT3. Unlike previous versions of UT, you can't just export the textures out of the editor, as it won't let you, so all I did was rip them out using TexMod and sort them into groups, making it easier for people modding weapons to modify and import new skins for the models.

Download!

Here: FileWorks (47.41MB)

Screenshot

It's kind of hard to preview this, but here are 6 skins that are in the pack:

A small rundown

The pack is split into three folders, each containing particular weapon textures:

Diffuse: contains the "overall" diffuse texture for each weapon - this is the main skin you will see in the game.

Normalmap: contains the normal maps - these are used to add bump mapping and depth to the skins.

Specular: contains the specular textures - again, these add extra detail and "shine" to the skins.

Who? Where? When? Why!?

Parser did this, you can find him at http://fraghouse.beyondunreal.com (try the forums).

Addendum

There is a small tutorial in the readme file that explains how to import your textures, set them up as a material, and then replace the weapon skin through unrealscript!

Finally...

I hope somebody finds this useful!
    Last edited by WarTourist; 01-28-2008 at 10:25 AM.

Redeemer

Quote Originally Posted by Parser View Post
    I hope somebody finds this useful!
    Thanks! I'm sure they will.

Personally, I'd find it a lot more useful to know in as much detail as possible just ho you got hold of these skins & spec/bump maps - I've been trying for what seems like yonks to export the skins outta UT3, with no luck.

I just googled TexMod & I got a load of results ranging from Tombraider to Guildwars mod pages, so forgive me if I'm a little confused as to ho you went about it.
    All the best matie, & cheers once again for making the texes available.
    OSMT - SuperApe's 2K4 Toolset for SP and Coop mappers.
    Use Of Weapons - A Single Player campaign for 2K4, built with osmt.
    Use Of Weapons: 2 - In production.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    "When it's done." - Rrriiiggghhhttt!

Case: Antec Performance One P190+ Motherboard: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 780i Power Supply: 2 x ABS Tagan ITZ1300 CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Memory: 8 Gigs Mushkin DDR2 1000 Video: 2 x EVGA 8800GT Super Clocked / BFG PhysX Card Sound: Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer / Logitec Z-5500 Speakers Display: 2 x BenQ FP241 24" LCD

Marrow Fiend

Very useful idea, maybe you could help again with some character textures, not for me but for the other character guys, cheers a pint for you the next time
    UT40K:The Chosen - Warhammer 40,000 for UDK
    ut40kgeodav - UE4 Tutorials
    UT3 Tutorials - Characters - Weapons - Vehicles - FaceFX
    UDK Tutorials - Basics - Vehicles - Characters - Weapons

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thank you SOOO much, you deserve credit for such a good work... Stealing textures with texmod is boring =P

Question

Quote Originally Posted by ~{ISC}~Jigen View Post
    you deserve credit for such a good work...
    wtf, seriously?
    It's not his work.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-FROG View Post
    wtf, seriously?
    It's not his work.
    Yes it is? I loaded up Texmod and went through UT3 exporting all the textures I thought looked like they belonged to weapons. Then I opened UnrealEd and spent a good amount of time matching each type of texture (specular, diffuse and normal map) up to each weapon. I then put the textures in separate folders, packaged them together and uploaded it for modders to use.

What was the point? So other modders didn't have to spend time ripping the textures out of UT3 with Texmod themselves, because you can't export them through the editor any more. So I do all that and then you're telling me it wasn't my work? Cheers for that.

Thanks for rating the thread as well.

thanks Parser, came in handy for me
    ------------------------------------------------
    my gaming machine: Altair 8800, 2 MHz processor, 256 bytes RAM, controlled with 16 toggle switches

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Crayfis

Could someone please gold-plate the sniper rifle. I've always wanted to have a gold plated sniper rifle for some reason, like a FPS Scaramanga

The Beester pack does this pretty well I think - http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=601284

I highly doubt you are allowed to freely publish UT3s textures on the web.
    What's the next step?

(...) because you can't export them through the editor any more. (...)
    guess why that is.

You really deserve nothing for it.

Somebody done it. And it's there to use.
    That's all. ^^
    Last edited by RED-FROG; 08-28-2008 at 04:48 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by RED-FROG
    What's the next step?
    I don't know, is this supposed to be clever rhetoric?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-FROG View Post
    guess why that is.
    It's because of the new system whereby packages are cooked, not some dubious anti-plagiarism act. Tell me, if the developers were so touchy about modders exporting their textures to modify them why did they allow it in previous engine versions?

Quote Originally Posted by RED-FROG
    You really deserve nothing for it.

Somebody done it. And it's there to use.
    That's all. ^^
    Where did I say I deserved anything for it? I did it as a small service to other modders who maybe don't know how to rip textures out of the game, or don't want to spend the time doing so - if people appreciate that (and there's some evidence in this thread that they do) then fine, but if you're going to hark on at me for no particular reason other than some bitter argument that I wouldn't care to hear then frankly you can shove it.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Sanch3z

thanks for your work Parser. This may come in handy sometime in the future.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Nice work. Im rating this 5 stars
    "The Liandri Corporation helps bring you tommorow,today" - Liandri Corporation

DM-Skydeck http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=600457 (PC and PS3 Download avaliable)

UT99 Sounds http://utforums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=619136 (For PC only)