Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast
    Administrator

Default First User Created Content for UT3 PS3 is released!

Epic Games is proud to take the first bold step in a new era! Today we're releasing the very first user-created content for Unreal Tournament 3 on PlayStation 3.

We're starting with a user-created map called DM-Shrine created by Thomas Browett, who goes by the name Setheran on the official UT3 forums. Thomas is a 23 year old graphic designer from Nottingham, England. He's been playing Unreal since the very first Unreal Tournament and he says he's enjoyed every game in the series. He made a few maps for the original Unreal Tournament but hadn't done anything since this one. He finds the third generation Unreal Editor to be very friendly and feature rich.

DM-Shrine is is a great little map that's perfect those close-quarters, 2-6 player, matches that keep your adrenaline pumping from beginning to end. A lot of our DM maps in UT3 are designed for larger player counts so this provides a great contrast and a chance to play in a more intimate setting. I've always loved these types of maps and I hope you folks do as well!

Here is how to install UT3 mods on your PlayStation 3.

1. Unzip the file to the root directory of any memory card that is readable by your PlayStation 3. It is already in the proper directory structure but, just in case, the path and filename need to be: ps3\savedata\blus30086-modimport\userdata.jam

2. Boot up Unreal Tournament 3 on your PS3

3. Go to the "Community" menu

4. Choose "My Content"

5. Press the [SQUARE] button to "Import Mod"

6. Follow the directions on the screen to import it from your memory device.

Once imported you'll be able to see the map in your list of Deathmatch maps. You'll be able to host the map and join servers that are hosting the map. All UT3 mods install this same way. If this were a mutator it would show up in the mutator list. If it were a gametype it would show up in gametype lists, etc.

This is just the first little taste of modding on Unreal Tournament 3 for PS3.

Epic didn't make this map. Thomas did and he already released it for PC users of UT3. We didn't do any editing or changes to it. All we did was bring it into the editor and "cook" it into the proper format for the PlayStation 3 and tested it to make sure it ran properly and was good fun. We're waiting on some paperwork from Sony that will allow us to release an editor update so mod creators can do this cook process for themselves. We expect to have that very soon.

Tomorrow we're planning to release some more user-created content: a mutator, a couple more maps, and a new game type!

We have some really cool things of our own in the works (for both PC and PS3 versions of UT3) here at Epic but those are still in development so they're a little further down the road.

Here's are some mirrors where you can download the map:
    FileFront
    Beyond Unreal

Links to the PC version of the map are listed in this forum post.

Welcome to the future!

Update: I use the term "memory card" but in fact any PS3 readable memory device should do. A USB memory stick plugged into one of the PS3's USB ports (all models of PS3 have USB ports) works fine. If you already have a memory card from a digital camera and you want to use that then you can buy a pretty cheap USB memory card reader and plug it that into the USB port of the PS3. One of our guys even used an iPod to transfer the files on to his PS3.

Here's a link to a screen shot of this map: http://artrever.website12.com/Stuff/shrine2.jpg

ADD: -weephun-
    Ready for more? Well, we've got more for you!

3 more maps and a new mutator! Again, all user-created! You guys rock!

1 - DM-Elevation by warby
    Forum Post
    FileFront

2 - VCTF-Slax by Kantham
    Forum Post
    FileFront

3 - DM-Krodan by Hourences
    Forum Post
    FileFront

4 - Mutator: VASUT3AutoShields by KalCorp
    Forum Post
    FileFront

Additional mirrors:
    gamershell
    beyondunreal

The gametype we were looking at had some unexpected issues on the PS3, but if those manage to get resolved we'll be sure to get it out to everybody.

Hope everyone loves these new mods as much as we have here!
    Last edited by weephun; 12-21-2007 at 06:15 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: NinjaSpecter

Kewl, nice to hear for the PS3 users.
    Chuck Norris walked into a Burger King.

He walked out with a Big Mac.

Skaarj

Thumbs up

Well done to the maker, and EPIC for giving us this beauty of a game!

Palace Guard

Well that should shut up a few ps3 ppl for now
    Anyway gg mark and Thomas.
    When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament 3 it's "Monster kill", In Quake III it's "Excellent", in Counter-Strike Source it's "Kicked by console".

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSNID: Herbyg

Thank You for posting this. This great news. The map looks absolutely beautiful.
    Thanks again, Mark.
    Can't wait for the content tomorrow.
    Last edited by Herby; 12-20-2007 at 07:08 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

That says it all

Thank you for this awesome map.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Cool thanks for the update...and man..is there any other way to get these mods ? I dont have a memory card of any type....

Are you guys looking into the ps3 browser? ....Is there any other way besides the memory card?

Skaarj

I extracted it but it keeps saying 'no data'? Any help?

Fixed it now, thanks again guys!
    Last edited by Thr33Brothas; 12-20-2007 at 06:42 PM.

really appreciate it, but just in case it doesn't work for me, can it be later downloaded from the playstation network? I'm sure it seems really simple, but I'm not that tech savvy, I can't even seem to get game saves to work for the ps3, but who knows, this may work. However it works out, thanks.

Skaarj

Quote Originally Posted by ephoenix6 View Post
    really appreciate it, but just in case it doesn't work for me, can it be later downloaded from the playstation network? I'm sure it seems really simple, but I'm not that tech savvy, I can't even seem to get game saves to work for the ps3, but who knows, this may work. However it works out, thanks.

Just download from the link Mark posted. Rip it to your memory card, and thats it! I just did it and the map is amazing. Can not wait to start making my own.

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSNID: Herbyg

Here is another mirror I made just in case the others servers have a queue.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=51D0FW6B

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Thr33Brothas

Quote Originally Posted by Herby View Post
    Here is another mirror I made just in case the others servers have a queue.
    http://www.megaupload.com/?d=51D0FW6B
    Nice, thanks Herb!
    Recruiting for UNREAL TOURNAMENT 3 PS3

"Supah Soak Dat Hoe"

PSN: Tramain1987

Prisoner 849

Definitely a very fun map. I had 3 people in my server and it would be really awesome with 6-8. This is definitely a sign of good things to come because the game ran flawlessly.

mines saying no data too when using a memory stick someone help!

Administrator

Cool there are two people already playing this map on the server I setup in my office! Unfortunately I'm going to have to kill that server before I leave or I won't be able to log in from home tonight

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by zildjianplaya2000 View Post
    mines saying no data too when using a memory stick someone help!
    Make sure you have everything in the right path. The zip file was pathed correctly but some people set their unzip software to not recreate the path when they extract. If so then all you'd have is the file and not the proper directory structure the PS3 is expecting (Sony makes those rules, not us). If you just have the file (userdata.jam) then use the OS on your PC to create the following directory structure on the memory card:

ps3\
    savedata\
    blus30086-modimport\

Then put the file (userdata.jam) in the blus30086-modimport directory and the game should recognize it.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    Make sure you have everything in the right path. The zip file was pathed correctly but some people set their unzip software to not recreate the path when they extract. If so then all you'd have is the file and not the proper directory structure the PS3 is expecting (Sony makes those rules, not us). If you just have the file (userdata.jam) then use the OS on your PC to create the following directory structure on the memory card:

ps3\
    savedata\
    blus30086-modimport\

Then put the file (userdata.jam) in the blus30086-modimport directory and the game should recognize it.
    thanks ill try that now!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Rein View Post
    Cool there are two people already playing this map on the server I setup in my office! Unfortunately I'm going to have to kill that server before I leave or I won't be able to log in from home tonight
    I think I was one of the two. I played for about 30 minutes on there, but got bored with 1vs1ing and ended up leaving

Love the map by the way. Thanks for porting it instead of making us wait for the updated editor tools to be released, and hopefully Thomas to have released it himself. It's a very fun map, and for what it's worth I highly recommend trying it.

Edit: Nevermind. I think you posted that a few (perhaps 10) minutes after I left the server.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsnapper View Post
    Love the map by the way. Thanks for porting it instead of making us wait for the updated editor tools to be released, and hopefully Thomas to have released it himself. It's a very fun map, and for what it's worth I highly recommend trying it.
    Thanks! Hopefully the paperwork will get completely pretty quickly and mod makers will be able to do this themselves.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Grinchy View Post
    Definitely a very fun map. I had 3 people in my server and it would be really awesome with 6-8.
    I might have been one of them. The PS3 we have in our breakroom is logged in under the PSN id "weephun". Unfortunately my own PSN id ("Markar") is running a dedicated server here in my office. I think I'm going to have to take the server down so I can go home and play tonight under that account. I'll setup a second account and get it going again soon.
    This is definitely a sign of good things to come because the game ran flawlessly.
    I couldn't agree more! This is just a tiny taste of the fun stuff on the way.

I just hosted a game with it and got a couple people to join, ran flawlessly. I also joined Mark's server and it was running well also.

1 question, if someone doesn't have the map tries to join a server that's running it, will it download automatically or will that person have to manually download and transfer it to their PS3?

Skaarj

I have the PS3 version and I was wondering if its possible to download the editor.

Map is very cool. I only wish there was a way to get the editor without buying another copy of the game for PC.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I hope so too, but I'm sure most PS3 owners are still happily working with the content that came with the game. That said I am really looking forward to what ever the "Tomorrow we're planning to release some more user-created content: a mutator, a couple more maps, and a new game type!" message entails

So far the whole system of bringing mods to the console seems great. It took very little time to download and usb the map over and was, in my case, completely hassle-less. Which is great news, of course.

As to Myke's question; I tried joining the Markar server earlier (before I downloaded the map) and it didn't let me join. So at the moment I can pretty much confirm it won't download the map for you. Hopefully it's added eventually, but I have a feeling it probably will.

MSgt. Shooter Person

crap the level is really fun!!!! this feature makes this game own.

the folder should just say ps3? nm got it
    Last edited by hunter2526; 12-20-2007 at 07:58 PM.

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by Deathsnapper View Post
    So far the whole system of bringing mods to the console seems great. It took very little time to download and usb the map over and was, in my case, completely hassle-less. Which is great news, of course.
    The process is pretty easy. The only potential hangup is people just dragging the file by itself, instead of the whole directory structure starting with ps3\..., to the memory card. You have to have the proper directory structure for the PS3 operating system to recognize the file.
    As to Myke's question; I tried joining the Markar server earlier (before I downloaded the map) and it didn't let me join. So at the moment I can pretty much confirm it won't download the map for you. Hopefully it's added eventually, but I have a feeling it probably will.
    This map is 17mb. If we enabled auto-download for maps and if users were downloading a 17Mb (there will be MUCH bigger mods than that!) mod from your PS3 it would kill your internet bandwidth to the point that it would SUCK as a game server and it wouldn't be a very good experience. We'll work with Sony and figure out some ways to make the process more seamless in the future but for now this is how you get a mod on to the PS3.

Having said that: there is an exception.... mutators are pretty small so we allow them to be auto-downloaded. So if you go to a server running that mutator it will download automatically and you will be able to play on that server. It won't show up in your "My Content" mutator list but it will be stored in the game's cache for the next time you play a server with that mutator. To get it in your "My Content" list, so you can use it in Instant Action or host game with it turned on, you'll have to go through the install process.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Myke256 View Post
    1 question, if someone doesn't have the map tries to join a server that's running it, will it download automatically or will that person have to manually download and transfer it to their PS3?
    Maps won't auto-download, but mutators will. The way we throttle the bandwidth for package downloading from the server to the client, it would take forever to download the map, and by that point, the match is probably over.

Mutators are small enough that auto-downloading makes sense.

You will have to download and install maps manually.

Josh
    Josh Adams | Programmer | Epic Games

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oops, looks like Mark beat me to it

Administrator

Quote Originally Posted by hunter2526 View Post
    the folder should just say ps3? nm got it
    Not sure if you are correct. Here's how it works.

The root directory of your memory card, or USB memory stick, should have a directory in it called 'ps3'. Inside that 'ps3' directory should be another directory called 'savedata'. Inside that directory should be one called 'blus30086-modimport' and inside that directory should be a file called 'userdata.jam'.

Note: all of the mods have to have this exact same file structure. So when we release a new map tomorrow it will have the same directory stucture and the filename will also be 'userdata.jam'. Same for the mutator and the gametype. You have to install them one at a time because they all share the same filename. It's not elegant but it works. These mods are tons of fun and they're FREE. Let me say that one again... FREE. Boy I like the sound of that. FREE

PC users should check this section in our forums for some of these great mods. Unfortunately sometimes installing mods on the PC isn't quite as easy as this (on the flip side many mods on PC will auto-download anyway) but there are tons of great gems out there already with a ton more to come!

Enjoy UT3!!

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by 3AM View Post
    Cool thanks for the update...and man..is there any other way to get these mods ? I dont have a memory card of any type....

Are you guys looking into the ps3 browser? ....Is there any other way besides the memory card?
    You can also use a USB drive or thumbstick dealie to transfer the mod over. I think small USB thumbs are pretty cheap these days...

Downloading mods from the PlayStation store should work fine, but naturally not anyone can put a mod up on the store So, this would be reserved for Epic downloadable content or Epic-blessed user mods.

Hope that makes sense,
    Josh

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN: MagNuM-OPs

just for this reason i plan on purchasing the pc limited edition version on unreal tournament 3 for modding interest.

one question i would like to ask mark, i have basic pc skills (not much skill in modding maps for games and such)...will it be difficult for me to create my own map using the editor with dvd tutorial?

When you download the file and winzip opens just hit extract and extract it to the thumbdrive. Thats all you gotta do.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by JoshAdams View Post
    You can also use a USB drive or thumbstick dealie to transfer the mod over. I think small USB thumbs are pretty cheap these days...

Downloading mods from the PlayStation store should work fine, but naturally not anyone can put a mod up on the store So, this would be reserved for Epic downloadable content or Epic-blessed user mods.

Hope that makes sense,
    Josh
    If you watch the Little Big Planet videos, they show users uploading maps and items onto the PS store, and other people downloading it. Is there any way -in the future at least- that we could do that?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Asurastrike View Post
    If you watch the Little Big Planet videos, they show users uploading maps and items onto the PS store, and other people downloading it. Is there any way -in the future at least- that we could do that?

That is not something available to us now... I can't really say what will be allowed in the future tho.

Josh

MSgt. Shooter Person

Oh, and if anyone has trouble with importing the mods, I believe all directory and file names on the removable media should be all uppercase (I unfortunately can't test right now - I've only ever used all uppercase filenames, as seen in the .zip file).

Josh

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Hope that makes sense,
    Josh
    well he asked another question i wondered also (mine is slightly different tho). is there a possible way to download the map file from ps3 browser and save it directly to directory (/PS3/SAVEDATA/BLUS30086-MODIMPORT/USERDATA.JAM) on external memory source (sd/pro duo/usb drive/ext hdd)?

i know currently you can only save file to ext memory source on the main directory. i believe you can copy the file from there and save it to proper directory if you already have the folders setup on memory source (using the triangle -> display all feature)

maybe sometime in the future sony will allow you to download files from browser and save them to specific directory on ext memory source so such processes can be done in minimal time so users can get to gaming quicker.

Palace Guard

Quote Originally Posted by MagNuM-OPs View Post
    just for this reason i plan on purchasing the pc limited edition version on unreal tournament 3 for modding interest.

one question i would like to ask mark, i have basic pc skills (not much skill in modding maps for games and such)...will it be difficult for me to create my own map using the editor with dvd tutorial?
    Why mark?
    Most modders can answer that.

Yes ut3 ed has become a lot easer,less hassle finding stuff now.
    You put the time and effort in you will reap the rewards.
    And yes watching the dvd tuts will help you a lot,infact there a life saver
    When you kill 6 people in Unreal Tournament 3 it's "Monster kill", In Quake III it's "Excellent", in Counter-Strike Source it's "Kicked by console".

Skaarj
    Gamer IDs

Oh, and if anyone has trouble with importing the mods, I believe all directory and file names on the removable media should be all uppercase (I unfortunately can't test right now - I've only ever used all uppercase filenames, as seen in the .zip file).

Josh
    i believe that it is true that it must be in all caps. when you download zip file its already set up correctly. all they need to do is save ps3 folder to memory card or stick and it will do everything for you. if you already have a ps3 folder on the memory card or stick thats not going to change anything...it will still save in the proper directory. just make sure file is unzipped and you copy the complete ps3 folder from the zip file.

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast