Default Will GoW ever be playable without.......

requiring a net connection to save and what not? was considering getting this for christmas, but have no net connection

MSgt. Shooter Person

You don't need a net connection to save. What are you talking about?

nice post, appreciated, everyone i talk to said you cannot save without a Live account, even creating a local one, if youre 100% sure that you can then all the better for me

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: DTOX2k7

Quote Originally Posted by lmimmfn View Post
    nice post, appreciated, everyone i talk to said you cannot save without a Live account, even creating a local one, if youre 100% sure that you can then all the better for me
    You can't save without a live account. Sorry. You can play through the acts etc, but the moment you quit you lose all those unsaved games. They are still in the game-directory however, and upon signing into live you will get all the saved games and achievements.

Look around on google, i've heard there are 'ways' to bypass this however.

D_TOX.
    We're not here to sell cookies!

Redeemer

Just yesterday I completed GoW (pc), it took me a week start to finish, & I didn't stay up for a week straight, nor did I leave my pc on all that time.
    I saved my progress via an offline live account, created when I installed the game.

Now, when I first installed GoW, our telephone lines were down (the whole village lost phone connections), so I could only create an offline account, and I used the same account all the time while playing.

In fact, I had to re-install the game once, and it kept the same account (BigJim), so the account itself is actually independent of the game's folders.

The only restriction they put upon you is this; If you start by creating an *offline* account, and play the game, and then if you later create an online account (to play online, funnily enough ), then in that case you will lose your saved progress.

Otherwise, it saves just fine, just open the game, go to Campaign>Continue Campaign>Hardcore, and you will load up the last checkpoint you played up to.

That's how it works.
    Now, if you find that the game crashes, and eats your save progress, then that's another matter.

In my case, this happened once - the game crashed, and when I opened it up again, I'd lost all my save data - argh!

I fixed my problem by setting my local pagefile size to FFFFFFF via regedit (search this forum for "FFFFFF" & you'll find the thread that details this fix).
    After I did this, I only ever had one more crash, & even thien it didn't wipe my save data.

In addition, & just to be ultra-safe, you can backup your save data, just in case it does get eated.
    C>Documents & Settings>UserName>Local Settings>ApplicationData>Microsoft>XLive>Titles>4D 530842 Open that folder, & you'll find a 20k .bin file.

Afaik, that's the important save data file, so after you finish playing each session, back that file up just in case it gets wiped, & you can always replace it again just in case you do lose your save progress by some weird crash.
    OSMT - SuperApe's 2K4 Toolset for SP and Coop mappers.
    Use Of Weapons - A Single Player campaign for 2K4, built with osmt.
    Use Of Weapons: 2 - In production.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Te1vanni Guard

Correction.

You cannot save on Gears of War without a GamerTag.

I know because I could not connect to Xbox Live when I first got Gears last year. I was able to save fine.
    033-116-117-126-071

Redeemer

Gamer tag? What's one of those?

You mean the online nick thing below your name?
    I thought that's only for XBox players?

Nah, all I did was create an offline live account for playing GoW, I'm sure that if I'd tried to create the gamertag "BigJim", I'd have found that someone had taken it already..

Hell, some cheeky SoB had stolen BigJim as their username for UT3 before the demo had been live for a whole day, & I've been using that name since Worms 1 on the amiga..
    OSMT - SuperApe's 2K4 Toolset for SP and Coop mappers.
    Use Of Weapons - A Single Player campaign for 2K4, built with osmt.
    Use Of Weapons: 2 - In production.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I'm playing locally without any live account or any of that stupid s***. You have to replace a few files. There's a thread in this forum that gives you the instruction. Very easy to follow.