Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast
    MSgt. Shooter Person

Map - Deathmatch (PC/PS3) DM-NightInThePark [MSU UPDATE V1.5]

Name: DM-Night in the Park
    Compatibility: UT3 V1.2
    LatestVersion:1.5
    Description: Large DM Map set in a city park.
    Players: 6 - 12

MSU UPDATE V1.5

Changes:

-Added rain, thunder and lightning effects
    -Optimised performance
    -Blurry texture bug fixed
    -Added more detail to the map
    -Added jump pads
    -Made it easier to climb the hedges in various spots.
    -Added 2 sniper platforms in the trees
    -Only 2 powerups: berserk, invisibility; set in opposite corners of the map.

UPDATED V1.2

Changes:

- Holes in the hedges are visible now
    - Tweaked bot paths
    - Lowered metal fence around the Flack Cannon
    - Added a few spots where you can jump over hedges (the bots can jump too)
    - Powerups: 1 invisibility, 1 Udamage, 1 Berserk; set far apart
    - Added more items: weapons, health, ammo
    - Fixed fade radious for the ambient sounds

Screen Shots:

V1.2

V1.5

Download

V1.5

PC/PS3

http://www.mediafire.com/?sharekey=6...018c8114394287

Installation:

PUT THE FILES HERE:
    My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Published\CookedPC\CustomMaps

Comments:

This is my first map, and i don't mean just for UT3 but FPS in general. It's been a learning experience and i think it tuned out very well for my first ever map. I'm surprised how well it runs performance whise since I went crazy with
    hundreds of static meshes for the foliage.
    Last edited by Remus; 03-26-2009 at 04:37 PM.

Thumbs up Yay !!! another my type Map for UT3

I really like nice colors and beatifull map like this
    this map is very scary for Invasion Game too
    http://forums.epicgames.com/showthread.php?t=590438
    Last edited by BuffyTheSlayer; 12-20-2007 at 08:32 AM.
    = Buffy The Jedi Knight =

MSgt. Shooter Person

Awesome!!! played 1 game; could not believe some of the secrets, if they were supposed to be secrets. Large is good. Makes it for alot of fun, and a (game) at playing.
    Didn't know at first if I could jump that fence in the middle, but did a double jump (I quess) and got the flak weapon. Seemed like I backed up through one of the hedges, and found myself alone in what appeared to be a blocked off area; intresting. Music really stuck out in that area It was a good place for it. Tried to find how I got in there and found alittle hole. Looked like a hidding place, but one of the bots must have seen me; fraged me. lol Im still not done seeing if you did some of these things on purpose, or if they r errors in the mod.

Great Map though

Back again
    Well Just played another game. You sly dog u. Great!!! Makes the map alot more fun. Team DM seems to be more fun.
    Field Generator is good too. Did 4 on 4 with this map size, and just like the idea your not being smoked every two secs.
    Didn't play long enough to see if any boosts were in it. Now that is another story.

Keep it up! Large maps are Good
    Last edited by ur-name-here; 12-19-2007 at 09:35 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Thanks glad my work is appreciated.

@ ur-name-here: Those holes in the hedges aren't bugs, i made them on purpose. There are 2 field generator in the map. Powerups:1 invulnerability, 1 double damage, 2 invisibility.

The only bugs I've noticed now replaying is regarding the spotlights around the dog/gargoyle, the volume light beams stop projectiles....

Oh and btw did you find the redeemer yet, or did the bots find it for you?

MSgt. Shooter Person

Default Great 1st Impression

When I test out maps at first I play for short frags, and time to get first impressions out. This one struck me, because of it's versatility, and size.
    Please Stick with Large Maps. There r alot of ppl who like them, and enjoy the gaming aspect of them.

Dont know why, but when I first started playing it gave me flashbacks of Deus Ex.

I think 16 players will have a big effect on fps, but some will be able to handle it.

Yeah; the colors, trees, labrinth, ect makes it and you a commer.
    Last edited by ur-name-here; 12-19-2007 at 10:10 PM.

MSgt. Shooter Person

I like large and atmospheric maps too, which is why I chose this creepy night time setting.

Boomshot

For a first map, this is excellent. I love the atmosphere and the narrow spaces. A few criticisms:
    • You don't need to put in so many pickups. I know the temptation is to put in at least one of everything, but don't be afraid to make maps that only have some weapons and power-ups. Sometimes less is more.
    • It could do with more prominent landmarks. There are plenty of them, but you can't see them over the hedges, so it's easy to get lose your orientation.
    • Perhaps you could open up some of those manhole covers to allow an alternative means of traversing the map and add a bit more depth to the map (literally).
    • The radius of the cricket sounds is a bit small. They fade in and out too suddenly.

MSgt. Shooter Person

For the size of the Map I thought the pick ups were fine. Yes the cricket sound could be expanded. As far as orientation. Your playing in a labrinth!!!
    Yes his first is excellent!
    Last edited by ur-name-here; 12-19-2007 at 10:58 PM.

Boomshot

Quote Originally Posted by ur-name-here View Post
    For the size of the Map I thought the pick ups were fine...
    Maybe the weapons are ok, but two invisibilities and an invulnerability will quickly become tiresome.

One more thing: Walking through the invisible gaps in the hedges should trigger a rustling sound. That would add a bit of strategy in locating your foes, plus it would make it obvious that they are meant to be there.

Redeemer
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: burrowingCoyote

wow the lighting is really good.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Well just as everyone else has I am going to sing your praises concerning this map. It's fun and quite unique as well as extremely moody which earns big points in my book. Just as another poster mentioned this map reminded me of another game. The setting and everything just makes me think of the Resident Evil games but maybe that's just me. Great job on the map and I'm going to be awaiting any future releases from you.

~FalseEmperor aka False
    Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

"Illuminate them Captain." ~ Warmaster Horus

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN Darth-Krayt

This is one of the most original maps I've seen so far, from what little I can take from screenshots. Again, hopefully one day I'll be playing this map on my console. Kudos to you.
    PSN ID- Darth-Krayt

Monster Hunter, Mortal Kombat vs DC, Unreal Tournament 3, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Ghostbusters, The Eye of Judgment, Killzone 2, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, Gran Turismo 5p, MGS4

Iron Guard
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Solevaliant

I agree about this map standing out - not just visually, but in terms of gameplay too. The constant twists and turns as you sprint through the maze are pretty exciting, and make up for the lack of z-axis combat. I also like that there are some dark, overgrown areas to hide in or use as a means of escape.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Yeah this is definatly a very good map! Good job !

MSgt. Shooter Person

Great map, cheers!

Banned
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Gah! XBox! :X

Godlike!
    Downloading immediately!!!

Iron Guard

Thumbs up

Absolutely amazing!
    If it can't be modded, it ain't worth ****.

Banned

Very nice map ... especially for your first one ... I would have thought you have been mapping for a little while ... anyway while it is very good I think it could be better. My suggestions would be:

- Shorten the height of the hedges just a bit as well as the height of the grass since the park looks pretty well kept up. Had you gone with an old ruined park with cracks in the pavement and debris sprawled around, litter, knocked over garbage cans like no one had taken care of the place then it would make sense but the rest of the park is so clean I think it would benefit if the grass were neater looking as well.

- A water fountain in place of one of the structures or even on one side of the park to balance it out more would be perfect and would really go well with the theme while adding even more visual impact to this already outstanding level

- Better placement of items. It seems like all the powerups are on one side of the level and the weapons predominantly on the opposite side ... I think the gameplay would have benefited further from the items being more evenly distributed throughout the level ... for example the invinicibility and invisible powerups are right across from eachother when imo it would be better to have them on opposite sides of the level so there is a better chance two different people can have them instead of just one or one team.

- Better bot pathing. Don't get me wrong ... the bots did pretty well on this level but they did ignore many of the powerups and didn't seem to take advantage of the full level layout.

Anyway that is all that I would say you could do to improve it because it really already is a good level with lots of goodies ... I'd love to see a day in the park version with some of the changes I and others have suggested .... I think that would be pretty cool and give you a chance to tighten the level up without releasing the exact same thing again. Maybe the daytime one could have that weathered beat up abandoned park look I am talking about ... a broken rusted gate, cracks throughout the structures and statues a dryed up dirty fountain (kinda similar to the one in the first part of Gears of War). Just some suggestions.

Thanks for the fun level again ... it is very much appreciated.

MSgt. Shooter Person

you know, this map really touched my heart... lightnings reminds me of Tokara Forest for UT2003 and the gameplay it really cool. one of my favorite maps today!

thank you. i ll send a PM to you, maybe you'll get interested in it
    Sorry for bad engilsh, I am Russian

MSgt. Shooter Person

great map

i agree with better item placement and landmarks, i got lost easily qq

but there is a large bug for computers that dont have the highest setting

it seems the major meshes (gargoyle, buildings, armor) are blurry until you are within 1 foot of them, then they load fully, otherwise they look like poo

theres a thread about this somewhere around here, im gonna go look for it

Preparing your map for publishing and distribution

Quote Originally Posted by DGUnreal View Post
    [1. bForceMipStreaming

You should not be selecting all of your map StaticMeshes and setting the bForceMipStreaming to True. The occurrence of the blurry StaticMeshes is an issue with user maps and the current game version. Setting bForceMipStreaming to True on all of the map content may have a negative impact as that function forces all texture mips to be loaded when the level is loaded, bypassing the dynamic mip streaming. On systems with smaller texture memory pools the result may be running out of pool space.
    Until Epic releases the first patch to fix this I don't recommend you do this. People experiencing blurry textures should just set the Texture Quality to 5. On systems with video adapters as old as ATI X800's you should see no performance loss at a Texture Quality setting of 5.
    Hm, well I guess I should turn up Tex Qual to 5 huh :P

with tex qual 5 and world qual 3 1600ishx1000ish

1.8 intel duo/2 gigs ram/8600 gts

i was avging about 23 fps on thsi map qq....sigh i need new parts already (bought this in june)
    Last edited by Phoenix86; 12-20-2007 at 02:02 PM.
    Online Name: Philospher

Cogito ergo sum. -Descartes

The unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates

MSgt. Shooter Person

I like it. Nice.
    "When it's done." - Rrriiiggghhhttt!

Case: Antec Performance One P190+ Motherboard: EVGA 132-CK-NF78-A1 780i Power Supply: 2 x ABS Tagan ITZ1300 CPU: Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Memory: 8 Gigs Mushkin DDR2 1000 Video: 2 x EVGA 8800GT Super Clocked / BFG PhysX Card Sound: Creative X-FI Extreme Gamer / Logitec Z-5500 Speakers Display: 2 x BenQ FP241 24" LCD

MSgt. Shooter Person

i've tried map, and it was as i expected, atmospheric and cold.
    but the weapon placing seems to be more practical, coz when you spawn, you most of the time run through the maze, trying to find some weapon, but almost all weapons are in the epicenter of a carnage, only few weapons placed far from the smoke of burned bodies and twisted corpses...

and about powerups, you should reduce the amount of them, it's too many for one map, that counts on close ranged fights, theres damage, theres invisible, theres all sorts of armor... you better leave the invisible and few armors and place more health cans around (small).

and also, it sometimes confused me when bot stays in the grass and i even cant see who killing me ) or when you somehow finds this shorcut and suprisingly find your self in the heart of a battle)

and i love this slow-mo devices. it is really cool.
    Sorry for bad engilsh, I am Russian

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by AnubanUT2 View Post
    Very nice map ... especially for your first one ... I would have thought you have been mapping for a little while ...
    Thanks, well even though it is my first, I had experience working with 3dsmax so I think that helped a great deal in terms of making the map look good.

- Shorten the height of the hedges just a bit as well as the height of the grass since the park looks pretty well kept up. Had you gone with an old ruined park with cracks in the pavement and debris sprawled around, litter, knocked over garbage cans like no one had taken care of the place then it would make sense but the rest of the park is so clean I think it would benefit if the grass were neater looking as well.
    On thins we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess. You see the inspiration for this map comes from a real park in my home town, and although it's relatively well kept there are areas in the park where it just looks abandoned... for example a decaying building and very tall grass in the overgrown areas of the park.

- A water fountain in place of one of the structures or even on one side of the park to balance it out more would be perfect and would really go well with the theme while adding even more visual impact to this already outstanding level
    Initialy I was planning to put a large water fountain in the spot where there's the iron statue surounded by gargoyls, but I scrubbed that since I don't know how to add water... or particle effects for that matter(there was suppoed to be rain too..)

- Better placement of items. It seems like all the powerups are on one side of the level and the weapons predominantly on the opposite side ... I think the gameplay would have benefited further from the items being more evenly distributed throughout the level ... for example the invinicibility and invisible powerups are right across from eachother when imo it would be better to have them on opposite sides of the level so there is a better chance two different people can have them instead of just one or one team.

- Better bot pathing. Don't get me wrong ... the bots did pretty well on this level but they did ignore many of the powerups and didn't seem to take advantage of the full level layout.
    On these two points I agree. I was just so pleased with how the map looked that I rushed the release, now playing through it a few times the item placement and bot pathing do need some more work. For example one guy could have invulnerability,double damage and invisibility at the same time
    "Holly ****!!"

Releasing a new version with adjustments and more goodies sounds like a good idea, though I think I'll keep the night time setting I just like it too much. DM-Night in the Park XL because even bigger is better lol.
    Evil had a good idea with open man holes so you could traverse the map underground, so I'll add a suer system.

Other ideas: water fauntain and other structures perhaps, a river and a small island accessable by bridge, accessible streets around the park...

Thanks for the fun level again ... it is very much appreciated.
    You're welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Phoenix86 View Post
    there is a large bug for computers that dont have the highest setting

it seems the major meshes (gargoyle, buildings, armor) are blurry until you are within 1 foot of them, then they load fully, otherwise they look like poo

Hm, well I guess I should turn up Tex Qual to 5 huh :P

with tex qual 5 and world qual 3 1600ishx1000ish

1.8 intel duo/2 gigs ram/8600 gts

i was avging about 23 fps on thsi map qq....sigh i need new parts already (bought this in june)
    Hmm that's strange... I haven't noticed anything because I play with all settings maxed out.

MSgt. Shooter Person

yeah the guy said something about texture detail not effecting your performance....

but i dunno about that one
    Online Name: Philospher

Cogito ergo sum. -Descartes

The unexamined life is not worth living. -Socrates

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    Thanks, well even though it is my first, I had experience working with 3dsmax so I think that helped a great deal in terms of making the map look good.

On this we'll just have to agree to disagree I guess. You see the inspiration for this map comes from a real park in my home town, and although it's relatively well kept there are areas in the park where it just looks abandoned... for example a decaying building and very tall grass in the overgrown areas of the park. --> Cool ... I can see your point but man those hedges seem really tall to me ... are they really that high that you cannot see over them in that part you are talking about?

Initialy I was planning to put a large water fountain in the spot where there's the iron statue surounded by gargoyls, but I scrubbed that since I don't know how to add water... or particle effects for that matter(there was suppoed to be rain too..) --> Well now that you have had some time to learn I expect to see that fountain! j/k ... though I bet if you spent a little time on it you could make it work. Isn't there another map you could look at to get an idea of how they did it?

On these two points I agree. I was just so pleased with how the map looked that I rushed the release, now playing through it a few times the item placement and bot pathing do need some more work. For example one guy could have invulnerability,double damage and invisibility at the same time
    "Holly ****!!"

Releasing a new version with adjustments and more goodies sounds like a good idea, though I think I'll keep the night time setting I just like it too much. DM-Night in the Park XL because even bigger is better lol.
    Evil had a good idea with open man holes so you could traverse the map underground, so I'll add a suer system.

Other ideas: water fauntain and other structures perhaps, a river and a small island accessable by bridge, accessible streets around the park...

You're welcome.
    I appreciate you listening to my suggestions and boy am I looking forward to an updated version with the underground stuff and the fountain ... mainly though I am looking forward to better placement and better bot pathing. Great job ... keep them coming man. You seem like a natural at this level designing stuff.

MSgt. Shooter Person

mmmm so great idea of map its f*ck*ng nice!:P

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Cleary-TLSC

GOT IT!

Bin bugging me for AGES, but was this map inspired by the Old skool PS1 Game called Syphon Filter? I remember a map like this, and yh Amazing game,
    BANG BANG BANG
    TOOSH TOOSH TOOSH
    CHOOE CHOOE CHOOE
    BPOUCH BPOUCH BPOUCH.
    Expect these noises in UT3

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: StuntF50

AWESOME MAP! Could it be used on the PS3?
    STUNT

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by Cleary View Post
    GOT IT!

Bin bugging me for AGES, but was this map inspired by the Old skool PS1 Game called Syphon Filter? I remember a map like this, and yh Amazing game,
    No, I've never even played Syphon Filter. When I was making this map I got my inspiration from a real park over here and a little inspiration from a labirinth style park level from the old game by Monolith, Blood.

Quote Originally Posted by Stunt View Post
    AWESOME MAP! Could it be used on the PS3?
    I don't know, when you "cook" the map do you have to do anything extra so the map works for the PS3?.

MSgt. Shooter Person

A real fountain is hard to make, I just used a watervolume with a few emitters which make it look like a fountain. Its the best I can do for now. And I couldn't find any tutorials or whatsoever.

MSgt. Shooter Person

Looks nice & errie, just need a Mike Myers & some college girls characters to complete it
    OS: Win95 | CPU: 10 Giga Quads | Graphics Card: Voodoo 3 | RAM: 128MB | Monitor: 64" Barbie Princess TV

MSgt. Shooter Person

Looks really nice, I'd like to see Epic cook a version of this for the PS3 version.

MSgt. Shooter Person

A great map with good atmosphere.....nice job!
    Intel i7 920 CPU | ASUS P6T Deluxe | 6GB DDR3 1333MHz OCZ RAM | Zotac 285GTX AMP! | Thermaltake Toughpower 700w PSU | Vista Ultimate 64bit

Banned

Wow. GORGEOUS map! I'd love to see Epic cook this up for the PS3. Very cool!

MSgt. Shooter Person
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: PSN Darth-Krayt

That rain idea would be perfect for this map. When.....WHEN Epic ports this to PS3 mabey you could ask them to put in rain if you havn't figured out how to do it by then. I really think you should move around the weapons and power-ups pretty quickly though. Perhaps even replace this one entirely with the slightly reworked pick-ups download. Cuz I know this is gonna be in the next bundle of maps that Epic ports to PS3, and if it's a little more balanced you'll have made a pretty good name for yourself on your first UT3 map. Also people online really know how to exploit things like that. And I HATE being the guy who has to shoot it out with the invincible guy on the field LOL.
    PSN ID- Darth-Krayt

Monster Hunter, Mortal Kombat vs DC, Unreal Tournament 3, Motorstorm Pacific Rift, Ghostbusters, The Eye of Judgment, Killzone 2, Sacred 2 Fallen Angel, Gran Turismo 5p, MGS4

MSgt. Shooter Person

let us all know when you get that new version out with the underground or whatever else you decide to add because I am definitely looking forward to it

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by b0b7h3r1pp3r View Post
    let us all know when you get that new version out with the underground or whatever else you decide to add because I am definitely looking forward to it
    That is the version people should wait for to be cooked for the PS3 ... it is going to be even more amazing visually as well as have improved gameplay and better balance for the weapons and pickups. I am really looking forward to it.

Hehe, pretty fun!
    AMD 3800+ X2 | 2 gigs ddr400 | 160 gb & 400 gb HDDs | BFG 7950GT OC 256 mb | 22" Acer Widescreen | BIG WHITE FAN B****|
    xfire: theedeathmaster..........In game name: DEATHMASTER
    HERE'S MA' PROFILE!: http://www.xfire.com/profile/theedeathmaster/

MSgt. Shooter Person

Quote Originally Posted by b0b7h3r1pp3r View Post
    I'm going to start work on the new version after the holidays (2 weeks), so I think it will be done some time in January.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Remus View Post
    I'm going to start work on the new version after the holidays (2 weeks), so I think it will be done some time in January.
    Well your legion of devoted fans will be here eagerly awaiting it but please don't let that put any pressure on you. Seriously though have a great holiday and thanks again for all your work now and in the future.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast